• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

My mom was looking forward to this tablet but the lack of a back camera is a deal breaker. Are there other similar devices coming out in the next few months (by September to be exact). The Galaxy Tab 2 seems to be the only viable alternative before you get into the $400 range.

Yes. If you want to spend te money for a tablet that have less power and lower specs you can look at the galaxy tab 7 and the Acer Iconia Tab A100. If you can wait the Amazon Kindle Fire is rumored to have an update around September with nearly the same specs as the Google Nexus 7 and a camera... to be fair there's supposedly 3 versions of it.

http://www.techspot.com/news/49292-multiple-kindle-fire-2-tablets-are-in-the-works.html

Somnid

Yes. If you want to spend te money for a tablet that have less power and lower specs you can look at the galaxy tab 7 and the Acer Iconia Tab A100. If you can wait the Amazon Kindle Fire is rumored to have an update around September with nearly the same specs as the Google Nexus 7 and a camera... to be fair there's supposedly 3 versions of it.

http://www.techspot.com/news/49292-multiple-kindle-fire-2-tablets-are-in-the-works.html

Yeah but I'm not so sure it'll be a back camera, probably just a front one like the Nexus 7.

I don't think there are many options as it's not an overly attractive feature, especially to the low-end. iPad mini in October will probably have one for those that really want it. I'd ask Massa's mom what she was planning to do with it, she might want it but I really doubt it's what she needs.

My mom was looking forward to this tablet but the lack of a back camera is a deal breaker. Are there other similar devices coming out in the next few months (by September to be exact). The Galaxy Tab 2 seems to be the only viable alternative before you get into the $400 range.

Whoa. Really? What does she do that would make a back camera on a tablet so vital to her? After owning one for a year and a half now, i havent had one situation where i was thankful i had one.

Argyle

Whoa. Really? What does she do that would make a back camera on a tablet so vital to her? After owning one for a year and a half now, i havent had one situation where i was thankful i had one.

In fairness my parents use the (awful) back camera on their Asus Transformer (to take pictures that are easy for them to email), but then again they don't have smartphones...

On the other hand, their Galaxy S3s should be arriving today, so hopefully they will never use the camera on the Transformer ever again.

Levi

Banned
If you haven't already reserved a Nexus 7 from GameStop (US), you've lost your chance to get one out of their first shipment. Right now reserves are for their second shipment, which is estimated to be Aug. 7th.

Good sign for the tablet, I guess.

BFIB

If you haven't already reserved a Nexus 7 from GameStop (US), you've lost your chance to get one out of their first shipment. Right now reserves are for their second shipment, which is estimated to be Aug. 7th.

Wow. I'm really glad I didn't wait around and preordered from the Google Store the same day as the announcement.

Good sign indeed!

Massa

Cool, thanks. I'll check them out!

She saw someone making a video on the iPad and loved it for some reason. When she saw the Nexus the first thing she asked was if it had a camera. :-/

How can we confirm this has happened in all US gamestops?

I was ready to go preorder one today... Is this just for games top.com? Please give me some good news.

My only hope will be Best Buy now cmon guys...need to trade in some hardware!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Upcoming covers from Asus.

jV7tQ22SNq2rX.jpg

Mairu

The official cover for the Asus Transformer is awful, I wouldn't get one of those if they're the same material & style

Cheebo

Banned
So I can't tell, are you excited for the iPad Mini or no, Cheebs?

Got a regular iPad, no need. Getting the Nexus 7 to supplement it due to it's smaller size and to be in both ecosystems. Nexus 7 will make a great supplement to my iPad but it could never be my solo tablet due to all the third party apps on I use daily. Always wanted a Android tablet to go along with since I am a gadget whore but this is the first one that met the impulse buy threshold.

Woz >>>> Jobs

steve-wozniak-apple.jpg

Izick

Got a regular iPad, no need. Getting the Nexus 7 to supplement it due to it's smaller size and to be in both ecosystems. Nexus 7 will make a great supplement to my iPad but it could never be my solo tablet due to all the third party apps on I use daily.

For someone who's never owned a tablet, but want one, like myself, would you suggest picking up the Nexus 7, or waiting to see what the iPad Mini is like?

Cheebo

Banned
For someone who's never owned a tablet, but want one, like myself, would you suggest picking up the Nexus 7, or waiting to see what the iPad Mini is like?

I can tell you want one now based on how often you posted in this thread. I doubt you'd be able to wait to the fall for when Mini is probably shown off anyway. ;)

Izick

I can tell you want one now based on how often you posted in this thread. I doubt you'd be able to wait to the fall for when Mini is probably shown off anyway. ;)

Yeah, but I might not be able to get one until August, and by then we may have some meatier rumors. What makes you enjoy the Apple ecosystem then Android?

Hieberrr

If you've used the iPad or iPhone, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the same experience, just on a different screen.

Nexus 7 looks like a really solid and affordable Android tablet. Android, imo is an amazing OS which allows for a lot of personalization and also has most of the major apps. I have an Android phone, so I may be a little biased, but the one thing I love most about Android is that it allows you to use widgets on you home screen and also uses Google services as it's foundation (I use GMail, Google Talk, Calendar, and Contacts religiously).

So yeah, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I think it comes down to personal preferences. I would have suggested iPad if Android were still stuck on 2.0 or something, but not now that Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean are out.

Cheebo

Banned
and also has most of the major apps

This is something a lot who haven't used iOS assume. Android has many twitter clients but it doesn't have something on the scale of Tweetbot, it has drawing/note taking apps but nothing that can compare to Paper, etc. I mean if you just want the basic functionally of these sort of apps you are good to go but that's not really the full story.

That doesn't take away a lot of the OS advantages Android has (like widgets, etc) of course. Which is the main reason I am getting a Nexus 7, I love tweaking and customizing the look of an OS and its layout. The nerdy side of things.

Izick

I'm kind of pissed about this whole release date/Gamestop thing. If they had just given a fucking solid release date, and if Gamestop had a "Pre-order before X to get the first batch!" advert/notice, then this wouldn't have happened.

Now I don't know what to do.

Hieberrr

I'm kind of pissed about this whole release date/Gamestop thing. If they had just given a fucking solid release date, and if Gamestop had a "Pre-order before X to get the first batch!" advert/notice, then this wouldn't have happened.

Now I don't know what to do.

Yeah, Google handled this pretty poorly. They didn't give too many details regarding release dates and retailers. We're "2-3 weeks" away from launch and I still haven't heard (read) anything regarding retailers asides from Gamestop. I called into my local Best Buy andasked them about the Nexus 7 and they haven't even heard about it :|

There's still time to pre-order through the Google Play Store, no?

Also, if you really, really, really, really need the back camera, then I urge you to wait. iPad Mini and the newer Android tablets that will follow suit will probably have back cameras. Not sure about their prices though, but if you must have it, wait :)

Izick

Yeah, Google handled this pretty poorly. They didn't give too many details regarding release dates and retailers. We're "2-3 weeks" away from launch and I still haven't heard (read) anything regarding retailers asides from Gamestop. I called into my local Best Buy andasked them about the Nexus 7 and they haven't even heard about it :|

Have you already pre-ordered? You're from Canada (if I recall correctly) so you're only option is Google Play, right?

Hieberrr

Have you already pre-ordered? You're from Canada (if I recall correctly) so you're only option is Google Play, right?

Yup, from Canada.

Apparently my only option is the Play Store, since it seems like no actual retailers will be carrying this.

I pre-ordered a few days ago because of it. Also sold my shitty Playbook so I could pay off the majority of the cost, lol.

Izick

Hm, fuck, I hope that if I pre-order from the Google Play store then I'll still get it day of release....there's no fucking way to tell though because there's no damn official date yet!

Levi

Banned
and if Gamestop had a "Pre-order before X to get the first batch!"

It's not based on date, but on quantity. They can't predict what day they'll sell out of that allocation. Earlier is always better when it comes to stuff like this.

You might as well reserve it anyway, so you're first on the list if someone cancels. If you get it somewhere else, you can cancel your pre order.

Okay let me clear something up.

Staples is not selling the Nexus 7 Tablet at least as of now. There is no doubt in my mind that we will get them at some point, but we will not have them any time soon.

Top Bottom