• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

tfur

I will probably be getting one. I would just like another update to when they are shipping.

I spend 90+ percent of my time web surfing on the iPad, and I find Android to be a superior OS for web surfing. It is also superior for google service integration.

I look forward to spending more time away from the staleness of iOS.

- Sent from my resolutionary iPad

I will probably be getting one. I would just like another update to when they are shipping.

I spend 90+ percent of my time web surfing on the iPad, and I find Android to be a superior OS for web surfing. It is also superior for google service integration.

I look forward to spending more time away from the staleness of iOS.

- Sent from my resolutionary iPad

They said mid July. Google also stated the Galaxy Nexus will be back on Play next week with Jellybean loaded onto it.

Salaadin

So the only confirmed places selling this so far is the Play store and Gamestop?
Debating on if I want to preorder from google and pay shipping or wait until Gamestop gets them in. The 25 dollar credit for the Play store is tempting although Im not sure what Id use it on.

SimleuqiR

Same as iPad 2,4 which is 32nm.

you mean MP2 right?

Even at 45nm, 543MP4 is no obstacle. At 32nm, they have a lot more headroom.

Why in GAF heaven are we talking about iPad mini specs in this thread? >_>

It's pretty simple.

Are you tied into the Apple ecosystem? Yes? Then wait for the iPad mini - Unless you are looking into diving into the Android world for just $200.00, by all means go ahead. This works both ways I guess (Android to iOS).

If you are looking just to browse GAF, the internet, read magazine, comics, stalk on Facebook, this thing will give you all you need - regardless of what Apple has to offer, or how many tablet apps they have. If you are going to be gaming or you are a big gamer, then stay in the iOS world. Right now there is no better place for tablet/mobile games.

That's it. There is really no point in wasting pages upon pages talking about an Apple product, that has not even come out, in this thread.

Vyer

The reason for the eyeroll is that the post stated that unlike Android, the iPad "actually has App support." Which is ludicrous. There are a couple standouts, but the vast majority of non-game apps are available for both.

The tablet argument is a bit more compelling, but as The Verge's review notes, it's not a big issue on a 7" tablet. Twitter for example has only the phone UI, but it still works very well on the Nexus 7. The whole thing is a big nonissue that people are trying to turn into this big deal.

Theres a whole lot to like about this (especially at 200) but wanting actual tablet optimized apps on my tablet is not a 'nonissue'. That was one of the (many) things I disliked about my Fire - phone apps on a larger screen kinda sucked -, and it's something that matters to some people.

tino

Banned
Theres a whole lot to like about this (especially at 200) but wanting actual tablet optimized apps on my tablet is not a 'nonissue'. That was one of the (many) things I disliked about my Fire - phone apps on a larger screen kinda sucked -, and it's something that matters to some people.

What google should do is for larger screen devices (1024X600 or large), give users per app option to run in "phone mode" or "tablet mode". There is a rom call ParanoidAndroid that does it. I understand google want to encourage developers to make universal rom that can run in any resolution, but the option should be given to the users, not depends on "dpi", which is a completely arbitrary criteria.

Emily Chu

Banned
When is this thing coming out for freaks sake ?

Google should just take a page from apple and just release it the same day as it was announced.

smothpocket

Neo Member
My coworker made a good point today. I wonder if gamestop will be selling this at the same price as google. If google is already selling the tablet at cost then does that mean they'll be losing money so gamestop can make a profit?

Sanjuro

My coworker made a good point today. I wonder if gamestop will be selling this at the same price as google. If google is already selling the tablet at cost then does that mean they'll be losing money so gamestop can make a profit?

Gamestop isn't going to make much profit on the tablets.

might sound silly, but would you be able to drag and drop from your pc directly to the tablet?

Yes.

BFIB

Read a few more reviews today.

The hype for this device is on insane levels. Every review has been solid.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nexus 7 will be in Canadian stores on July 23rd:

Nexus 7 will be “Available Online and In-Stores July 23,” according to Staples Canada

SBlr4.png

First piece of news is that Staples Canada has started to take pre-orders for the Google Nexus 7 tablet. The price is the same as if you ordered it through the Play Store, looks like they only have the 16GB version for $259 outright. Next, Google said the Nexus 7 would arrive sometime “late July,” but gave no commitment of when. Thankfully Staples Canada has posted an estimated date of Monday, July 23rd.

“Pre-order your Google Nexus 7 Tablet to reserve one of these limited quantity tablets. Estimated sku release date is July 23, 2012. Your credit card will be charged at the time of shipment.”

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/06/nexus-7-will-be-available-online-and-in-stores-july-23-according-to-staples-canada/

Pein

Banned
man im use this thing as a gps in my car. I'm gonna just tether it to my phone if I need internet on the go.

DagsJT

I thought you could only download a small chunk of Google Maps for offline storage? I'm sure I read that you can only select a 50 mile radius?

Divvy

I thought you could only download a small chunk of Google Maps for offline storage? I'm sure I read that you can only select a 50 mile radius?

Its about an 81 mb limit to how much you can store per tile. You can store multiple tiles though.

Wiktor

Is the ppi of the screen sufficient though? Has anyone tried reading manga on these? And finally, are there actually any legitimate ways for people not in the US or Japan to buy English-translated manga on an Android device?

Mangas look good even on 12 inch 1024x, so 1280x will be more than enough on 7 inch

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So on the subject of GPS; after it has been cached, will I be able to receive turn by turn nav without a data connection?

Divvy

So on the subject of GPS; after it has been cached, will I be able to receive turn by turn nav without a data connection?

I believe you need to initiate the nav while with internet access, but once it's started you can go offline and it'll work.

THIS. I bought a Kindle Fire and was shocked at how many apps were just phone apps blown up to fill the screen. They looked terrible and performed worse. I bought the Fire to use as a digital field guide when doing plant/insect/mushroom identifications. Sadly every app I bought was incredibly clunky and borderline unusable. Very few of the apps ever felt like they really "worked" with the hardware.

I'm not sure how Google can remedy this situation with there being so many different devices out there running Android. I was looking at a blog post the other day from an app developer commenting on how there are now over 3,000 different Android devices currently. How does someone create software for that wide of a number of devices?

SimleuqiR

THIS. I bought a Kindle Fire and was shocked at how many apps were just phone apps blown up to fill the screen. They looked terrible and performed worse. I bought the Fire to use as a digital field guide when doing plant/insect/mushroom identifications. Sadly every app I bought was incredibly clunky and borderline unusable. Very few of the apps ever felt like they really "worked" with the hardware.

I'm not sure how Google can remedy this situation with there being so many different devices out there running Android. I was looking at a blog post the other day from an app developer commenting on how there are now over 3,000 different Android devices currently. How does someone create software for that wide of a number of devices?

Not sure. Rule of thumb - Stick to Nexus devices and 95% of the time your apps will be compatible with your devices.

Your first mistake was going with Amazon, who forked the OS. I really don't consider any device that does not come pre-installed with the Google Play Store an "Android" device.

Kind of interested in getting the 8gb Nexus as I already have an iPad/iPhone combo so playing with my own Android device is tempting.

Blackhead

Redarse

the Fire runs phone apps because the base os is gingerbread. Nexus 7 doesn't have that problem so the onus is now on developers. start emailing the creators of apps you care about and want to see updated for the Nexus 7 (assuming they aren't already doing that)

Gamestop is selling them at the same price point as Google, the 16GB version only however. It was reported that it costs Google $184 to make these so while they aren't making tons of cash on them they will be populating the eco-system which is exactly what they want to do.

might sound silly, but would you be able to drag and drop from your pc directly to the tablet?

If you use Google Drive or DropBox you would be able to.

78ccb85593ae0d83766897afe2a8a023.jpg

Massa

My mom was looking forward to this tablet but the lack of a back camera is a deal breaker. Are there other similar devices coming out in the next few months (by September to be exact). The Galaxy Tab 2 seems to be the only viable alternative before you get into the $400 range.

Top Bottom