• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Izick

It's not based on date, but on quantity. They can't predict what day they'll sell out of that allocation. Earlier is always better when it comes to stuff like this.

You might as well reserve it anyway, so you're first on the list if someone cancels. If you get it somewhere else, you can cancel your pre order.

Is there really any downside to pre-ordering through Google Play though? Besides the shipping cost? Also, does anyone know if I can even find out if I'll get it release day if I pre-order on there?

celebi23

So GAF, I need your advice, should I preorder this? I've been waiting for a powerful, fairly cheap Android tablet, and I think this is it. I bought a Nook Color last year, rooted it and booted into CM7 via an SD Card and it was great. It was just a bit slow and stuttery. That's properly because the hardware, booting from an SD Card and running CM7. If I enjoyed that, would I enjoy the Nexus 7?

Levi

Banned
Is there really any downside to pre-ordering through Google Play though? Besides the shipping cost? Also, does anyone know if I can even find out if I'll get it release day if I pre-order on there?

The best advice I have is wherever you plan on buying it, order it ASAP. The earlier you order it, the earlier you'll get it. Will it be release date?AFAIK ordering from Play doesn't guarantee you anything as far as when you'll get the device, even relative to other people who've ordered from Play. I'd assume that Play will work like most retailers, in that they'll fulfill earlier orders first. So, order the dang thing already.

Eusis

If you haven't already reserved a Nexus 7 from GameStop (US), you've lost your chance to get one out of their first shipment. Right now reserves are for their second shipment, which is estimated to be Aug. 7th.

Good sign for the tablet, I guess.
Yeah, I pre-ordered yesterday and had that happen. Still, I'm the second at my GameStop, the FIRST shipment is scheduled for 7/31, and I recall similar for the Circle Pad Pro but that came out months ahead of the touted July date, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic I'll be seeing this sooner than later.

Yup, from Canada.

Apparently my only option is the Play Store, since it seems like no actual retailers will be carrying this.

I pre-ordered a few days ago because of it. Also sold my shitty Playbook so I could pay off the majority of the cost, lol.
no one reads my posts:

Mannnn I'm super disappointed if we really have to wait till July 23rd for these to start shipping.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/06/ne...taples-canada/

I hope this is just a case of retailers getting it later than the play store release date...

Izick

Fuck, now I don't even know what to do. I don't know what's the best way to pre-order this thing. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get this release day...

Hieberrr

no one reads my posts:
July 23rd? Fuck me... that's so late!

I really need this to be delivered by the beginning of August at the latest. I'm going to Cuba at the end of the first week of August or so... so.. uh... yeah.

Give me a solid date Google! What the hell is this?!

Eusis

Fuck, now I don't even know what to do. I don't know what's the best way to pre-order this thing. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get this release day...
On the plus side you'll get the chance to wait on user impressions!

Then again there's already a million reviews gushing about how this is the most amazing 7 inch tablet ever, so I don't think we really need much more than we already have. Except maybe for someone to tell me how PDFs look on it, but I'm satisfied with Adobe's app on Kindle Fire so I just need a nicer resolution I think, which this provides.

Izick

Then again there's already a million reviews gushing about how this is the most amazing 7 inch tablet ever, so I don't think we really need much more than we already have. Except maybe for someone to tell me how PDFs look on it, but I'm satisfied with Adobe's app on Kindle Fire so I just need a nicer resolution I think, which this provides.

Oh well, I guess a tablet isn't exactly a "must-have" in my life right now anyway since I have a laptop, but damn, I really wanted to get this soon.

The size concerns me. I don't suppose there have been any reports on comic book reading experiences? Graphic novels are a big reason why I've lately started to look at tablets. Should I stick with 10" tablets?

Sanjuro

The size concerns me. I don't suppose there have been any reports on comic book reading experiences? Graphic novels are a big reason why I've lately started to look at tablets. Should I stick with 10" tablets?

The 7" tablet will be more ideal than the 10". 10" is just a bit oversized. In the iPad's case it's much heavier.

it's one of my primary interests as well (comics) and I've asked for lots of opinions in plenty of different places and the consensus seems to be that it should be good, more so considering the improved resolution compared to other 7" tablets.

You think it still will be the case with the Nexus 7 now in the game?

I said the same thing with the Kindle Fire and overall the apps are ass compared to the iPad. Even standard apps like HBO GO, Stitcher, Pandora...etc took a long time to get on the system. Shit, I'm still waiting for an Optimum TV app.....

Hopefully the Nexus will fare better in that regard.

Eusis

At 7 inches PPI's more of a concern to me than screen size. Granted, I'd probably be happiest with an 8 inch as that'd get really close to graphic novel size, but so long as the screen's not really small and the PPI can capture MOST of the detail, especially to be legible, I'll probably be content.

Hopefully the Nexus will fare better in that regard.
I suspect it will be, I imagine Google may have a bit more push (especially since they make the OS and as such could make it something that works nice on other phones/tablets), plus the Kindle Fire was running on an outdated OS on weak hardware. This is closer to cutting edge, so combined with the implication this will be A standard I'm hoping we see more stuff ported well. At worst it sounds like web browsing is amazing, and that's what I do most on my iPod other than listening to music anyway.

Wiktor

If I was living in USA I would hold off on Nexus 7 untill we know what Fire 2 will offer, which will be announced before Nexus 7 ships

Wiktor

The 7" tablet will be more ideal than the 10". 10" is just a bit oversized. In the iPad's case it's much heavier.

Depends on comics. For mangas 7 inch is perfect. For american comics it might be a bit small, with iPad being ideal. For european comics though even iPad is too small, same with PnP RPGs (for both of those 12 inch is the bare minimum for full comfort)

Eusis

If I was living in USA I would hold off on Nexus 7 untill we know what Fire 2 will offer, which will be announced before Nexus 7 ships
I have a feeling the Fire 2 will still be running the same outdated variant of Android that the Fire 1 did. Failing that, it at least won't be running a Jellybean variant, and likely will be stuck to Amazon's store rather than the wider Google one.

Though this is ALSO why it's better to pre-order at GameStop, if you ordered from Google you're stuck with them and paying that shipping fee, but at GameStop you could just dump your pre-order and take the money back or move it elsewhere. There's also the Surface coming up, but I would rationalize that as something you'd get for actual productivity and the Nexus 7 for web browsing or reading stuff.

giga

If I was living in USA I would hold off on Nexus 7 until we know what Fire 2 will offer, which will be announced before Nexus 7 ships
Eh. Hardware will probably be the same but their software sucks. It won't run Jelly Bean, won't have the Play Store, Chrome, Maps, and other Google apps.

I have a feeling the Fire 2 will still be running the same outdated variant of Android that the Fire 1 did. Failing that, it at least won't be running a Jellybean variant, and likely will be stuck to Apple's store rather than the wider Google one.
Er.

renitou

iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg
iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg

iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg
iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg

iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg
iUB0aAJhEY0W3.jpeg

:p

WHAT

I've been trying to find any evidence of Staples and the Nexus 7 being connected right now and nobody would say anything and we haven't got any information handed out to us.

Even when I talked to higher ups they still said there were no plans for at least another few months....

This Engadget article is making me regret all the time I spent looking for anything :(

I'll give someone my employee number if they want a nice discount as well ;)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

People have made do with roughly the same resolution on the 10" iPad 1+2, and it may even seem nicer considering the DPI is higher on the 7" screen. Next consideration will be how fast that Tegra chip can render a page on the screen while panning and zooming.

I have a feeling the Fire 2 will still be running the same outdated variant of Android that the Fire 1 did. Failing that, it at least won't be running a Jellybean variant, and likely will be stuck to Amazon's store rather than the wider Google one.

Nope, It's prolly goin to download apps from blackberry app world

Of course Amazon is ain't going to allow the Fire to access google play

e_i

Two questions:

1. Would anything I bought and downloaded to my MyTouch 4G phone work on the tablet? Or would I have to buy them again? I would be using the same account.

2. Would live wallpaper work?

Chorazin

Two questions:

1. Would anything I bought and downloaded to my MyTouch 4G phone work on the tablet? Or would I have to buy them again? I would be using the same account.

2. Would live wallpaper work?

Yes and yes. They just might not look as good blown up to 7 inches.

Izick

I wonder if I call Google's customer support line, if they'll be able to tell me if I'll be able to get a launch Nexus or not if I pre-order now?

Vyer

It will be tolerable. Particularly with something like guided view that comixology uses, it'll make that 7" screen at least a little better.

Comics on a 10" screen are rather godly.

Izick

I'm still not quite sure I understand how every Gamestop can definitely be maxed out on pre-orders. I would think it would be just based on a store by store basis or something.

Eusis

I'm still not quite sure I understand how every Gamestop can definitely be maxed out on pre-orders. I would think it would be just based on a store by store basis or something.
Here's one way to look at it: GameStop the corporation gets X number of units to divvy up amongst their stores, and so they get pre-orders that take up X number of units then create a second wave SKU in the system for when they get their next batch. What I think you're thinking of is every store getting a guaranteed X number of units, which was admittedly what I hoped when I asked the clerk if I'd have luck at another since there's two others locally.

Sanjuro

It will be tolerable. Particularly with something like guided view that comixology uses, it'll make that 7" screen at least a little better.

Comics on a 10" screen are rather godly.

The Nexus 7 has a higher resolution than a good portion of 10" tablets. It's going to be fine, easier to hold as well.

Panda Rin

I wonder if I call Google's customer support line, if they'll be able to tell me if I'll be able to get a launch Nexus or not if I pre-order now?

At this point, I would just order one. Taking more time to think it through will only delay it further. If all plays out okay, you're guaranteed a device this month.

Lexxon

Damn, I was hoping GameStop was taking tradeins for the original TF101 transformer. Looks like they aren't. As much as I hate GS, the bonus trade in on that may have covered the cost of this, or almost covered.

In related news...anyone want a TF101?

Sanjuro

I was laughing 'cause it's true.

Ah, yeah. I was just hoping you weren't going to go on a LOLAPPLE thing, that's all. If I've ever seen a Honeycomb tablet, I would have just walked by it at Staples or something. Other than that, I've seen a few people get those shitty Android knockoffs at CVS.

Izick

Only problem pre-ordering now through Google Play is I don't have any money on my CC right now. I was just going to throw down some fat cash at Gamestop.

Top Bottom