• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Does't this make the screen stick out more though?

I think Emily said tightening the screws cause the screen to stay put, but that there's no cushion there, so it still creaks a bit when you press down on that area. A bit of foam there would keep the screen from budging when you exert pressure. I dunno, I'll see exactly what Emily meant by that when I try to open it later tonight

Edit: after reading that quote you linked to... Maybe you just need to tighten the screws real good...

Emily Chu

Banned
I think Emily said tightening the screws cause the screen to stay put, but that there's no cushion there, so it still creaks a bit when you press down on that area. A bit of foam there would keep the screen from budging when you exert pressure. I dunno, I'll see exactly what Emily meant by that when I try to open it later tonight

Edit: after reading that quote you linked to... Maybe you just need to tighten the screws real good...

at first I thought maybe the screen on the left side was a bit loose, wtf ?

then it just got worse like in the long term this thing is gonna fall off or something...

I took the extra foam that I added out though and did what the xda guy then unscrew the left side firmly press down and then screw tight the screen in place

it's all good now

I discovered that mine wasn't really creaking.. it's just hitting the electrical tape covering some of the internals.. and that tape only exists on the left side.

my screen appears level.. so I think I'm good.

Emily Chu

Banned
They must have accidentally applied all the torque to the boxes instead of the screws.

Sk8PP.jpg

well I'm just glad I can fix it in like 2 minutes instead of sending the fucker back.

dwebo

searching the staples website for nexus 7 now takes you to a replacement battery for the nexus phone...

yeah, I'm probably going to have to just return this sucker

Shuusui

Album art looks terrible on the screen. Pixelated messes... disappointed. Still, having 320kbps audio from the PLAY STORE is a nice surprise.

Cartman86

Banned
Album art looks terrible on the screen. Pixelated messes... disappointed. Still, having 320kbps audio from the PLAY STORE is a nice surprise.

What resolution is your album art? The stuff you buy off the store looks good to me. Not fantastic, but not pixely. 500x500 is what most of my personal music art is in.

Emily Chu

Banned
Such a fucking hassle to have to ship back to google, mine that's coming tomorrow better be flawless.

it's simple as shit to fix though

just did it

rip off glorified battery cover

loosen screws on left side, apply pressure, rescrew firmly

seat left side of case first then plop it back on

less then 2 minutes

feels like a rite of passage now like circumcision for every nexus 7

just did it

less then 2 minutes

Word.Just got done here myself. Coming from an iPhone/iPod touch background, that was simple as shit. Only the iPhone 4 was easier to take apart. No more loose screen

Emily Chu

Banned
Word.Just got done here myself. Coming from an iPhone/iPod touch background, that was simple as shit. Only the iPhone 4 was easier to take apart. No more loose screen

Yup, I feel as though it would have been a better idea if they just fused the silver lining with the screen instead but w/e there's always nexus 7 2.0...
Just really glad its an easy fix no returns or exchanges.

I'm more in love with the thing more then ever now snags and all : D

I mean this could have been a huge problem a recall maybe if it wasn't so darn easy to fix in most cases.

Cartman86

Banned

Does this keyboard use the standard Jelly Bean voice dictation system when you press the mic button or does it used its own garbage implementation like Swift Key does? Also can you create a personal dicationary like standard Android? So when I type "em" it comes up with my email address?

Just discovered XScope browser and this is way better than chrome, you get gesture based browsing, full screen mode and most importantly the inertia based scrolling tons better. It was annoying the crap out of me how many flicks it took to get to the bottom and top of a page in mobile GAF while in 100 PPP, and this browser has alleviated that greatly

Cartman86

Banned
Just discovered XScope browser and this is way better than chrome, you get gesture based browsing, full screen mode and most importantly the inertia based scrolling tons better. It was annoying the crap out of me how many flicks it took to get to the bottom and top of a page in mobile GAF while in 100 PPP, and this browser has alleviated that greatly

Yeah I don't understand the love for Chrome. Especially on the phone where I think it's even worse. The integration with the desktop browser is its only saving grace. Which sadly is a big one for me.

dwebo

tested video playback for a bit, so some observations:

- stock player lacks features compared to ios, namely audio stream switching, embedded subtitles, and video resizing (ie. basically everything). I thought I read in jelly bean's changelog something about ttxt subtitle support, and there's a subtitle setting in the options, but I couldn't get it to work. also, it doesn't respect mp4's default stream tag, so it's always the first audio track. I don't use a third party video player in ios, but that leads me to...

+ mx player is great. hardware acceleration, audio stream switching, subtitle support, video resizing. only gripe is that the bottom bar reduces to the dots, and I couldn't find an option to fully hide it. not sure if this is universal among third party apps, or if it's possible this will be changed in the future. it's distracting

+ es file manager and skifta are both better than the free ios alternatives that I've tried for smb share browsing and dlna, respectively

- got some stuttering with high-ish bitrate (>8-10mbit average) 1080p, even right up against the router, so wifi performance is a bit lacking (or my router is busted). here's a snapshot from my router for the speed difference (both 2.4ghz N), ipad first which played fine, then the nexus 7, which stuttered at roughly half the throughput:

Z3qRc.png

overall, it's decent enough for 720p video watching. I can't figure out a comfortable way to hold it while it's horizontal besides using two hands or propping it against myself while lying down - and for both of those cases, it feels like I may as well just use a larger device

Cartman86

Banned
tested video playback for a bit, so some observations:

- stock player lacks features compared to ios, namely audio stream switching, embedded subtitles, and video resizing (ie. basically everything). I thought I read in jelly bean's changelog something about ttxt subtitle support, and there's a subtitle setting in the options, but I couldn't get it to work. also, it doesn't respect mp4's default stream tag, so it's always the first audio track. I don't use a third party video player in ios, but that leads me to...

+ mx player is great. hardware acceleration, audio stream switching, subtitle support, video resizing. only gripe is that the bottom bar reduces to the dots, and I couldn't find an option to fully hide it. not sure if this is universal among third party apps, or if it's possible this will be changed in the future. it's distracting

+ es file manager and skifta are both better than the free ios alternatives that I've tried for smb share browsing and dlna, respectively

- got some stuttering with high-ish bitrate (>8-10mbit average) 1080p, even right up against the router, so wifi performance is a bit lacking (or my router is busted). here's a snapshot from my router for the speed difference (both 2.4ghz N), ipad first which played fine, then the nexus 7, which stuttered at roughly half the throughput:

Z3qRc.png

overall, it's decent enough for 720p video watching. I can't figure out a comfortable way to hold it while it's horizontal besides using two hands or propping it against myself while lying down - and for both of those cases, it feels like I may as well just use a larger device

That seems to be an issue with the Nexus 7. It works in MX Player on Galaxy Nexus for example which has the soft keys on the right instead of the bottom. So that is probably the issue. This issue is not present in VPlayer on the Nexus 7.

EDIT: It's one of the latest issues posted on the Google Group for the project so it will probably be addressed.

dwebo

That seems to be an issue with the Nexus 7. It works in MX Player on Galaxy Nexus for example which has the soft keys on the right instead of the bottom. So that is probably the issue. This issue is not present in VPlayer on the Nexus 7.

EDIT: It's one of the latest issues posted on the Google Group for the project so it will probably be addressed.

ah okay, yeah that'll be fixed then

dispatch notice.... abt 2 hours ago.... finally....

fSBuQ.gif

Ditto! TNT won't let me change the delivery address though, they state that Google need to tell them there's a change but Google have previously said it's not possible, on hold to them now.

*edit: Neither Google nor TNT will change the address. Looks like I won't get it before the weekend then if it needs redelivering!

just did it

less then 2 minutes

hope so, don't need any special screwdriver or anything do you?

Hope mine is perfect though.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Finally received a shipping confirmation yesterday (ordered 29th of freaking June).

Despite the tracking page saying it is due for delivery at 5pmtoday, I called Fedex and they say that the sender (Google/Asus) hasn't even dropped it off to FedEx in Hong Kong Yet. I've got no chance of getting this thing this week.

2 -3 weeks shipping my ass.

And I paid for 2 day shipping. Not going to be here for another 3 days at least

Google/Asus are really, really shit at this game but all I can do is laugh. If they want to play with the big boys they need to sort this shit out. I think the lease they should do is refund me the $20 shipping in Play store credit.

Belzebuth

Banned
I don't use a third party video player in ios, but that leads me to...
Maybe because on iOS iTunes converts your videos to the only format supported on the device before copying them...? Also, who the hell have ever used the stock video player on Android..? MXPlayer or BSPlayer man. I use BSPlayer because it reproduces more formats by hardware.

dwebo

Maybe because on iOS iTunes converts your videos to the only format supported on the device before copying them...? Also, who the hell have ever used the stock video player on Android..? MXPlayer or BSPlayer man. I use BSPlayer because it reproduces more formats by hardware.

eh, first time using android. I don't see why the stock player needs to be This barebones. it's not like I'm not asking it to play mkvs or avis, either, just mp4s I've encoded for awhile now that work with the features I mentioned out-of-the-box in ios

doesn't matter anyway, since mx player is really quite good. I don't think there's anything comparable in non-jailbroken ios, due to the restrictions, but I haven't checked recently. and of course, being able to set your own file associations is awesome as well

Belzebuth

Banned
eh, first time using android. I don't see why the stock player needs to be This barebones. it's not like I'm not asking it to play mkvs or avis, either, just mp4s I've encoded for awhile now that work with the features I mentioned out-of-the-box in ios

doesn't matter anyway, since mx player is really quite good. I don't think there's anything comparable in non-jailbroken ios, due to the restrictions, but I haven't checked recently. and of course, being able to set your own file associations is awesome as well
Stock player is as it is because with every codec added there's copyright issues I guess. It's the same with Windows, first thing you do is download VLC or name-your-player because WMP does not play almost anything.

Cipherr

Stock player is as it is because with every codec added there's copyright issues I guess. It's the same with Windows, first thing you do is download VLC or name-your-player because WMP does not play almost anything.

Yeah, honestly thats why the ability to change the associated program is a big deal. I guess there's license issues with the different formats which is why there are no mobile stock video players that just play everything.

But when you can select a 3rd party one thats reliable and does everything, and make it the default associated program for that file extension, it sort of stops mattering. You forget about after an hour or two. It will still be nice when they beef up the stock player, not sure that I would notice or bother with it even then though, mx is just so good, and its what Im used to.

Honestly?

Forget about flash.

For now anyway.... Webmasters need to move to update their shit.

And when they all do, Ill be right there with them, but until then, Flash is sideloaded mate :D

mil6es

Bearing in mind I'm new to andriod (first device) do I need to download Avg for andriod or any other kind of security software??

EDIT:

Oh and I felt smug a fuck using my N7 on the train to work, especially since everyone else was using kindle ebooks or iPhones to amuse themselves (no KFire in UK) , got some curious looks as well :D

Adamm

Bearing in mind I'm new to andriod (first device) do I need to download Avg for andriod or any other kind of security software??

EDIT:

Oh and I felt smug a fuck using my N7 on the train to work, especially since everyone else was using kindle ebooks or iPhones to amuse themselves (no KFire in UK) , got some curious looks as well :D

Unless you have a habit of installing strange apk files on your phone then there's no need for any security software

Top Bottom