• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah, honestly thats why the ability to change the associated program is a big deal. I guess there's license issues with the different formats which is why there are no mobile stock video players that just play everything.

But when you can select a 3rd party one thats reliable and does everything, and make it the default associated program for that file extension, it sort of stops mattering. You forget about after an hour or two. It will still be nice when they beef up the stock player, not sure that I would notice or bother with it even then though, mx is just so good, and its what Im used to.

And when they all do, Ill be right there with them, but until then, Flash is sideloaded mate :D
If I recall correctly, the main goal of android when it first came out was most of the media apps were supposed to be made by devs. I don't even think the G1 came with a media player at first.

Damn, they tried delivering it whilst I was at work and TNT are now telling me I won't be able to collect it from the depot as it's in my wife's name. She's left for Croatia for a week this morning which means it'll more than likely returned to Google.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How do PDFs look on the device?

I'm thinking of picking one up instead of a kindle for reading but mostly for technical manuals which are in PDF formats for a certification I should be studying for. Something I can read while on the train to and from work.

Adamm

How do PDFs look on the device?

I'm thinking of picking one up instead of a kindle for reading but mostly for technical manuals which are in PDF formats for a certification I should be studying for. Something I can read while on the train to and from work.

They look great, I was actually surprised, even small text was easily readable without zooming in.

Cartman86

Banned
They look great, I was actually surprised, even small text was easily readable without zooming in.

I just opened one and I noticed that in addition to the kindle app supporting pdf's there is an app called document viewer. Is that a new Google app?

Cartman86

Banned
Cheers. Grabbed the APK, used Solid Explorer, done. I love how easy it is to just grab APK's and install them. So different to my old iPad.

This could be because I rooted but when I download something I can just install it from the notification tray. I don't remember if that's new or just the root thing.

Adamm

I just opened one and I noticed that in addition to the kindle app supporting pdf's there is an app called document viewer. Is that a new Google app?

Its been there for as long as I can remeber.

Although I don't like to admit it, I think the adobe reader app is by far the best PDF reader, everything looks better on it & its so smooth.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Seriously Google..........

As of 9:0pm on July 19th 2012 in Sydney the only details I've received are:

June 30 2012 17:04 Order Date
July 18 2012 19:03 Shipping Notification from Google Play
July 18 2012 05:11 Shipment information sent to FedEx (only entry on Fedex tracking site)

Since that time, the FedEx tracking has been stalled at the 'Initiated' stage and hasn't moved on to 'Picked up'

So, despite having received some temporary joy of being told it had shipped, my package has not seen the red beam from a single FedEx barcode scanner.

So frustrating when I can just walk down the road and buy one. And some people who ordered just a few days ago have already got theirs.

Also frustrating when quoted 2- 3 weeks and it will not meet that. And there's no chance of 2 day shipping which I paid $20 for.

Lace

Played around with it for a couple hours last night. Screen is crisp, speakers are decent, and the device feels great in your hands. I noticed it runs pretty warm when in use for an extended period of time. Another negative thing I'm starting to notice is a lack of good app support specifically for android tablets. I'm looking at you PopCap.

e_i

Mine SHIPPED. Too bad I have to go to work and won't be home until 9:30 pm tonight. Arrgh. I'm also getting an Anker Astro 3 10000 mAh battery charger from Amazon today. Charges your phone 6 times on one charge...charges your iPad...once on a charge!

Another negative thing I'm starting to notice is a lack of good app support specifically for android tablets. I'm looking at you PopCap.

Assuming the Nexus 7 will be very popular (and it certainly looks that way), developers should hopefully get behind Android.

And the following will definitely help:

Starting with Android 4.1, Google Play will help protect application assets by encrypting all paid apps with a device-specific key before they are delivered and stored on a device.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Google might have a mini-hit on their hands. Brought the Nexus into work yesterday and 3 people who swore off Android - including a programmer who happily bought into the Apple ecosystem 2 years ago with an iMac-iPhone-iPad trilogy - were impressed with Jelly Bean, the fluidity of the UI, and floored by the price. I believe a couple went hunting after work to J&R and Staples to see if they could pick it up. This is the ultimate e-reader+ device, with the only thing lacking on the device is an LTE modem. Google should heavily push Pocket and Readability on the device, much as Apple in the past has highlighted Instapaper.

I can't see how next Kindle Fire will compete. It's likely they'll continue to base their OS off an old fork of Android, and the UI changes they added in the past weren't particularly stunning.

Fantasmo

There's an App called Speaker Boost in the Play store. And another one called Rotation Lock. The first has a notification bar tool so you can always change the boost. The other works everywhere including the home screen. Both are free. Have at it people.

Sigh.

Finally got our three household Nexus 7s today. Three members of the family ordered them, myself being the only user with any Android experience.

Theirs are both perfect, mine has creaky side and dead pixels on the bottom of the screen. So disappointed, and going away in two weeks as well so if I get this exchanged it'll probably be over a month before I get a product I'm happy with. That's if the first time exchange gets me a good unit - and if the Play Store manages to actually ship with some ability this time.

Very disappointed. This, coupled with the Play Store's poor shipping, has totally deflated my hype for the product. The sad thing is that I love it, it's a great product but I can't help but notice the dead pixels that the other two users admit they probably wouldn't have noticed - every time I use it, they're glaring at me - and I can't use it as a result without feeling shitty.

Hi there, I would be really grateful if someone with a Nexus 7 could try my Pool game.

Apparently the Nexus 7 has no vibrator and I have no way of testing whether this will cause a crash when I try and vibrate.

Simply install the apk and play the tutorial. Normally the device would vibrate as a shot is taken. If there's no crash here and vibration is on in the settings then everything is good.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13593420/Pool-androiddemo.apk

Thanks a lot,

I'll be super grateful to whoever can help out.

suedester

Banned
Hi there, I would be really grateful if someone with a Nexus 7 could try my Pool game.

Apparently the Nexus 7 has no vibrator and I have no way of testing whether this will cause a crash when I try and vibrate.

Simply install the apk and play the tutorial. Normally the device would vibrate as a shot is taken. If there's no crash here and vibration is on in the settings then everything is good.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13593420/Pool-androiddemo.apk

Thanks a lot,

I'll be super grateful to whoever can help out.

Plays fine. No crashes when i take a shot.

Salaadin

How long did it take your guys to ship once your card was charged? I expected mine to go out last night because I was charged around 6:00est but got no emails or anything. Its not looking good for today :(

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So is there a way to get this in Australia that won't be unreasonably marked up?
Apparently the 8gb models are shipping to Aus pretty quick after ordering. It's only a $50 premium on the US price, which would be close to the cost of postage anyway. EB, Dick Smith and JB (among others) will be selling the 8's and 16's next week.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Apparently the 8gb models are shipping to Aus pretty quick after ordering. It's only a $50 premium on the US price, which would be close to the cost of postage anyway. EB, Dick Smith and JB (among others) will be selling the 8's and 16's next week.

Agh, I guess I could live with losing out on $50. :(

Still pondering this. Looks perfect for my needs except not having an SD card slot. Is there going to be an external one like the iPad?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Agh, I guess I could live with losing out on $50. :(

Still pondering this. Looks perfect for my needs except not having an SD card slot. Is there going to be an external one like the iPad?
I guess when you factor in GST etc it's not too bad... EB were doing 16Gb preorders for $298 including store pickup but now they're $319 :(

Not sure about SD, doubt it. Though people have said you can root it to allow USB storage.

e_i

How long did it take your guys to ship once your card was charged? I expected mine to go out last night because I was charged around 6:00est but got no emails or anything. Its not looking good for today :(

CC was charged about the same time. Shipped at 1 am this morning. Out for delivery today.

Salaadin

CC was charged about the same time. Shipped at 1 am this morning. Out for delivery today.

Damn. Maybe they just didnt send me a shipping email?
Im hoping thats the case and there isnt some holdup with my CC.

Does google wallet change once your order is charged/shipped? The order jumped to the top and changed its date to 7/18 in Play but when I click info, it takes to to Wallet and still shows "7/6, google received your order' but nothing past that.

rabhw

Aaaaaaaand fuck you Google. Walked into Best Buy this morning:

GEhjJ.png

What a joke the Play Store is. Never again!

Aaaaaaaand fuck you Google. Walked into Best Buy this morning:

GEhjJ.png

What a joke the Play Store is. Never again!

Oh wow, I called my BB yesterday inquiring about cases and they said they didn't even know when they were receiving the tablets. Did your store get any accessories in?

I guess my only gripe with the table now is the android app offerings and the fact that I can't type very well on the tablet. I can probably type 3 times faster on my iPhone 4

rabhw

Oh wow, I called my BB yesterday inquiring about cases and they said they didn't even know when they were receiving the tablets. Did your store get any accessories in?

Honestly I didn't look at accessories. I saw they had stock online, called them. They only let me put 1 on hold, so I rushed over. Picked up a second off the shelf (there were about 6-8 left), and went over to pick up the one I reserved.

Didn't really look at accessories...this is in Ontario Canada btw.

e_i

Damn. Maybe they just didnt send me a shipping email?
Im hoping thats the case and there isnt some holdup with my CC.

Does google wallet change once your order is charged/shipped? The order jumped to the top and changed its date to 7/18 in Play but when I click info, it takes to to Wallet and still shows "7/6, google received your order' but nothing past that.

Yes. Mine says it was charged and shipped. I'd check it again.

e_i

When I log into the Play store through my computer, it doesn't show the Nexus 7 as one of my devices. It's sitting at home, unopened, but I had it linked to my account when I ordered. Shouldn't it show up?

Salaadin

Yes. Mine says it was charged and shipped. I'd check it again.

Nope, no changes to Wallet. I guess mine hasnt shipped yet.

Figures, theyll probably ship it tonight and Ill get it tomorrow. I work from 8:00am - 11:00pm tomorrow and then from 7-5 on Saturday so I wont even get to open it until Saturday night.

Oh well, at least itll be here and I can stop stalking my credit card statement.

Bestbuys are clueless in my area one staples had one and don't know when they will be restocked the others have no idea. What a shit retail launch.

Emily Chu

Banned
OK I think I'm gonna stop opening the case the screen and casing are all nice and tight now no creaks or anything and I just fixed on stuck pixel one top of the screen

Fucking Jesus.....

Where the fuck was the qaulity assurance....

Never again will I buy something at launch

But I'm glad its all fixed but still....

Levi

Banned
Got one in perfect condition thankfully. Love it. No creaking/whatever.

Do you feel silly for all the rage posts? Or would you do it all again?

Not judging, because I remember my meltdowns on forums when Konami completely botched the MGO beta on PS3. Once it worked I assiduously tracked down all my over-the-top posts and scrubbed them clean, lol.

BFIB

Sitting on a boring bridge call.

Fired up Max Payne followed by Super Metroid using my PS3 controller=heaven.

Love this thing!

womp

As a long time Android tablet comic book reading guy...

I've tried them all over the past year, save your time and money - Perfect Viewer is the best and free.

womp

Whats the best snes emulator ?

Search for Robert Broglia in the Play store and use some of that $25 credit Google gave you. All his emulators are the best available on Android and amazing.

His SNES one for whatever reason was removed from Play months ago but is free and available from here...

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/

Download and sideload it right through the Nexus browser/Chrome. Bring your Wiimote along with you because he has the support built right into it and all his other emulators. It is a damn shame the 7 doesn't have HDMI out because running these out to your television is the bomb.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Picked the tablet with ease from FutureShop!

Q: How come MX Player doesn't hide the NavBar. Is it normal?

Top Bottom