• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

adroit

When I log into the Play store through my computer, it doesn't show the Nexus 7 as one of my devices. It's sitting at home, unopened, but I had it linked to my account when I ordered. Shouldn't it show up?
You have to access the store using the app on the tablet. Then wait a long time (took hours for me). It will eventually show up as a device.

Izick

I feel lucky I got a solid one, I'm sorry for all you guys that had to fix it yourselves. It's crazy that they shipped so many faulty ones.

Cartman86

Banned
When I log into the Play store through my computer, it doesn't show the Nexus 7 as one of my devices. It's sitting at home, unopened, but I had it linked to my account when I ordered. Shouldn't it show up?

It takes an hour or two the first time for it to show up.

Beaten: GAF refreshes weird sometimes.

DagsJT

So after emailing Google to cancel my order, they completely ignore it and now my bank account has been emptied and I'm overdrawn. Far from happy with Google.

Do you feel silly for all the rage posts? Or would you do it all again?

Not judging, because I remember my meltdowns on forums when Konami completely botched the MGO beta on PS3. Once it worked I assiduously tracked down all my over-the-top posts and scrubbed them clean, lol.
I'd do it again. I never forget. Fuck google. Just because I love the device doesn't mean the experience wasn't shitty for me. I'll stop bitching since it's pointless but I shant forget. Not buying any hardware from em ever.

How do I log out of all of these Google apps?

GMail, Gchat, Chrome, etc?

Other people in my house use this thing and I don't want IM's popping up on the screen or my email laid bare, etc.

OK I think I'm gonna stop opening the case the screen and casing are all nice and tight now no creaks or anything and I just fixed on stuck pixel one top of the screen

Fucking Jesus.....

Where the fuck was the qaulity assurance....

Never again will I buy something at launch

But I'm glad its all fixed but still....

How did you fix it, though? The loosness comes back every time I tighten it up.

kehs

Banned
How do I log out of all of these Google apps?

GMail, Gchat, Chrome, etc?

Other people in my house use this thing and I don't want IM's popping up on the screen or my email laid bare, etc.

You're better off making a "family account" for the device. That's what I ended up doing for a Google TV.

Cartman86

Banned
I mean, how do I even do that?

I just Googled "Nexus 7 help" and didn't pull up any Help pages or manuals on Google? Frustrating.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can literally make a "family account". He meant more create an account (like JeffersonFamily@gmail.com) that will be the baseline account for the device. Then you can login all your other accounts separately. I don't know how to keep things secret though. Once you login that login is always one button away. If your not worried about privacy then this will be fine.

DagsJT

So after a few days of use, do any former iPad owners have any updated impressions?

I've come from an iPad 2:

- Was pretty shocked at how much smaller it is compared to an iPad 2 when I first took it out of the box and it still does seem small now. BUT it feels more compact, not as bulky and awkward to hold. I think an 8" screen would've been ideal.

- Text is a LOT sharper on this. Not even a close comparison, this is just miles sharper.

- Obviously not as many apps as iOS but it seems there's an app for whatever I've wanted to do anyway.

- 720p MKV playback looks stunning, feels like it's sharper than the iPad 2 here as well.

- Facebook looks pretty poor in comparison, haven't tried Friendcaster or anything else yet though.

- Generally feels faster moving between screens and apps.

kehs

Banned
So if I factory reset, will it erase my other account? In other words, can I maintain two accounts people can log into at the start screen?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can literally make a "family account". He meant more create an account (like JeffersonFamily@gmail.com) that will be the baseline account for the device. Then you can login all your other accounts separately. I don't know how to keep things secret though. Once you login that login is always one button away. If your not worried about privacy then this will be fine.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You can still add other accounts to the device, but there's no real "seperation" from them being able to access it. You can turn off syncing for most things tied to the account though, and just sign out of gtalk so it doesn't get chat notifications.

I was really hoping for Google to implement multi user support in JB. Maybe in Key Lime Pie.

Cartman86

Banned
So if I factory reset, will it erase my other account? In other words, can I maintain two accounts people can log into at the start screen?

You're accounts are backed up on the cloud, but yes it will erase everything on the device. There isn't a "start" screen in Android. I think he's telling you to factory reset to create a "main" account. I'm not sure about any of this main account stuff. I thought you could just add another account and make it the main one.

Anyways here is what logging in with multiple accounts looks like. In the settings is a list of your accounts where you can add more. Per app you will see areas where you can change your log in. None of this I imagine is ideal. These really are individual devices :(

1Hm24.png
gcDrL.png

Note though that there are apps that will make your tablet have an account system like Windows. I haven't used them myself. They probably require root.

bob page

I've come from an iPad 2:

- Was pretty shocked at how much smaller it is compared to an iPad 2 when I first took it out of the box and it still does seem small now. BUT it feels more compact, not as bulky and awkward to hold. I think an 8" screen would've been ideal.

- Text is a LOT sharper on this. Not even a close comparison, this is just miles sharper.

- Obviously not as many apps as iOS but it seems there's an app for whatever I've wanted to do anyway.

- 720p MKV playback looks stunning, feels like it's sharper than the iPad 2 here as well.

- Facebook looks pretty poor in comparison, haven't tried Friendcaster or anything else yet though.

- Generally feels faster moving between screens and apps.
Which apps have you generally been using? On my iPad 2, I spend the most time with Tweetbot, Flipboard, Splashtop, Spotify, Zinio. Are you generally happy with your decision?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how's this for reading books? I have a 10 inch tablet and sometimes it's a bit unwieldy for reading.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

You can achieve what you want (login into separate accounts with passwords and whatnot) with this app: SwitchMe

It does require root.

The last review is from someone using a nexus 7:

Working great on my Nexus 7
I picked up a Nexus 7 that my wife and I will share. Simple to root and SwitchMe works PERFECT. I was worried about having to logo out of all application every time the other person uses the device, SwitchMe solved my biggest fear! Only been running about 1 day, but it has worked flawlessly, nothing to complain about. It is like we each have a tablet! Well done!

Levi

Banned
how's this for reading books? I have a 10 inch tablet and sometimes it's a bit unwieldy for reading.

I love it for reading. The higher resolution makes it better than the Fire, and I'm not the type who is bothered by the backlit screen.

Cipherr

You can achieve what you want (login into separate accounts with passwords and whatnot) with this app: SwitchMe

It does require root.

The last review is from someone using a nexus 7:

Thats a pretty awesome app. Its a shame it requires root though. I dont think the majority of people are going to use something that requires root. Would be nice for them to build that in in KLP.

adroit

how's this for reading books?
I freakin' love it. I'm using white text on black background and I have the brightness (settable in the reader itself) on the minimum setting. The white text looks like it is painted on the glass. It's beautiful, IMHO.

adroit

Oh, the built-in reader does not read epub files (grrrrrrrrrr). I'm reading books from the Google Play store. If you need to read epubs, you'll have to get a third-party reader app.

Thats a pretty awesome app. Its a shame it requires root though. I dont think the majority of people are going to use something that requires root. Would be nice for them to build that in in KLP.

lol, I think Google's ultimate goal in this is for you to want to buy more then one nexus 7 for your house hold. :p

It's a neat device, but it won't take the throne from my iPad 3 for general use.
love the device but fact is it still has no apps compared to iOS. If I didn't have an iphone I'd be upset. Also have an ipad somewhere. But yeah. I still can never go strictly android due to the app situation.

adroit

One more thing about the built-in book reader: it does not have dictionary or note-taking features. Hopefully they'll add those capabilities in the future.

love the device but fact is it still has no apps compared to iOS. If I didn't have an iphone I'd be upset. Also have an ipad somewhere. But yeah. I still can never go strictly android due to the app situation.

That's pretty much how I feel, and the iPad mini sounds more appealing by the day. I'm real bummed that tete doesn't seem to even be any Cave games on the android store. Those games would look so much better on a tablet as opposed to my iPhone

Cheebo

Banned

Thats how I feel too. The device itself is fantastic and I really am liking the OS but man the app store is really really bad. And the store itself is just messy, not sure how to explain it.Even factoring in phone apps. Still is going to be my primary e-reader device due to its size.

BFIB

If there's one area Google needs to improve upon, its the app store. Not the apps themselves, but their presentation, etc.

I'm finding apps, but I'm mostly finding great ones through other forums, etc. and not by whats being presented on the app store itself.

Now my main decision. I've had it w/ ATT here locally, and I'm selling my iPhone 4S here after I get back from my honeymoon. Going to Sprint (work is paying for my new phone), so I need to decide if I'm going to wait for the new iPhone, or go w/ the S3 since I can have my ecosystem on both my phone and tablet.

Decisions!

If there's one area Google needs to improve upon, its the app store. Not the apps themselves, but their presentation, etc.

I'm finding apps, but I'm mostly finding great ones through other forums, etc. and not by whats being presented on the app store itself.

Now my main decision. I've had it w/ ATT here locally, and I'm selling my iPhone 4S here after I get back from my honeymoon. Going to Sprint (work is paying for my new phone), so I need to decide if I'm going to wait for the new iPhone, or go w/ the S3 since I can have my ecosystem on both my phone and tablet.

Decisions!

My opinion? Wait for the new Google Nexus or the iPhone 5.

Cartman86

Banned
Oh, the built-in reader does not read epub files (grrrrrrrrrr). I'm reading books from the Google Play store. If you need to read epubs, you'll have to get a third-party reader app.

Yeah Google's built in media apps don't do any of that stuff. They are intended to be used for Play Store content.

McLovin

I've been hearing about the nexus 7. I just thought it was a new regular tablet. I had no idea it was that small, that cheap, AND it has jellybean?! Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!!!!1

BFIB

I've been hearing about the nexus 7. I just thought it was a new regular tablet. I had no idea it was that small, that cheap, AND it has jellybean?! Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!!!!1

Get it! Seriously, I've only had it a few days, but its the best purchase I've made this year.

adroit

Yeah Google's built in media apps don't do any of that stuff. They are intended to be used for Play Store content.
And the differences between Google's browser-based reader and Android app are perplexing. Hopefully all these problems will be ironed out in the future.

Google's browser-based reader:

Fantastic dictionary lookup (actually much more than a dictionary....it's a filtered web search).
Good note-taking capability.
Horrible text search (does not find all instances of the word you are searching for).

Google's app-based reader:

No dictionary lookup.
No note-taking capability.
Good text search (actually finds what you are looking for).

Top Bottom