• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Raistlin

It's also like four times the price for the non-gimped version.
1) We don't know the prices

2) How is the RT version 'gimped' for what he's looking for? It has SD and full-sized USB. You do realize the irony of calling it gimped given the memory constraints and lack of I/O he's complaining about here? What the problem with it anyway? That it's not running a full PC OS? I didn't realize Android was a Windows and Mac OS competitor.

And you accuse me of trolling? lol

You really seem to be in some kind of mood tonight. You might want to quit while you're aheadbehind.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If i'm going to use a tablet at home though, 7 inches is really damn tiny.
It's indeed like browsing on a phone, a decidedly mediocre experience compared to the "real thing".

Most people I know who owned a fire ended up rarely using the thing because they have laptops and proper desktops at home.
7 inch is the ideal travel size though, and that's why it's a little baffling they didn't add a 3G / 4G chip.
I dunno. I have a 4.65 inch device and a 10 inch device, but Id rather have something in between for web browsing. 10 inch tablets are too heavy and unwieldy to use sometimes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You really seem to be in some kind of mood tonight. You might want to quit while you're aheadbehind.

Yeah I dunno, I think I'm just being so distracted by everything I can't concentrate. Makes me irritable. Sorry for my faux trolling.

Slime

Banned
I already have an iPad and use it pretty heavily, but occasionally I wish I had something a little smaller. I never feel completely comfortable bringing it with me when I travel, and in general there are just times I wish I had something a bit lighter but with the same basic functionality.

I'd been eying other 7-inch tablets for a while, but most of them (Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Kobo Vox, etc.) were always lacking in some way or another. This seems to strike the perfect balance of what I'm looking for in an "in-between" mobile device, so I'm strongly considering this, especially since I'm going to be doing a bit of traveling this summer.

I was considering finally biting the bullet and getting a Vita for Sound Shapes, but it's coming to PS3 now too, and the software situation still looks pretty dire. Going to mull it over for a few weeks and see which one wins me over. Either way I could see myself getting one of these by the end of the year.

It's also like four times the price for the non-gimped version.

And has a much larger screen, which may be of interest since he's using it as a media hub. And is available in a larger storage capacity, which he says he wants. And many people think that the "non-gimped" version is a step toward the future of computing.

Like I said, I have nothing against Android tablets. There's no reason for eye-rolling when someone suggests something else though, even if it is more expensive. The Nexus 7 looks cool, and basically renders every other 7" tablet obsolete, but other products have merit too.

We get that you work for Google or are a huge fanboy or whatever, no need to hit everyone over the head with it.

itxaka

Defeatist
On mobile devices, their chips contains both a CPU and a GPU. The Tegra 3 has a CPU which has 4 cores and the GPU has 12 cores.

Number of cores is largely meaningless but the Tegra 3 chip is considered a high-end chip. I think it's CPU is more powerful than the iPad3 but its GPU is weaker for comparison.

That blows my mind. Way too many cores in an APU. Jesus.

Thanks for the clarifications guys :D

Raistlin

Yeah I dunno, I think I'm just being so distracted by everything I can't concentrate. Makes me irritable. Sorry for my faux trolling.
I didn't realize the power of the Jackie Burkhart laughing gif. I will now relegate it to 'nuclear option' status.

With great power comes great responsibility.

wanders

I guess the googs is breaking even with the Nexus 7 if they sell it retail? Anyways looks great and beats anything in the 7in department.

jonremedy

Looks like the 500 dollar tablet is turning into an Apple v Microsoft game. I'd love an 8-inch 1366x768 Windows 8 tablet for like 300 dollars though.

JonnyBrad

Before I plump for one, not had and android phone in a while. Can someone tell me if there is a decent dlna player? I keep my mkv files on a nas for playback and would like to be able to play them on it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Very nice looking, tempting, but 7" just doesn't seem like enough to me...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks like the 500 dollar tablet is turning into an Apple v Microsoft game. I'd love an 8-inch 1366x768 Windows 8 tablet for like 300 dollars though.
Who wouldn't, most like won't happen especially due to Windows RT.

saunderez

I'm currently using a HP Touchpad but I think I might give that to my parents and jump in on the 16GB Nexus 7. $300AUD and reasonable shipping and just at tax time.

Lace

Thinking about picking this up for my parents. They mostly play games like soduko and bejewled on it and very light web browsing. Would this fit the bill?

So I was originally planning to go with the Transformer Pad Infinity (which comes out the middle of July), but I might switch it up and go with this instead.

I'd prefer a 10-inch tablet, to be honest, but this thing appears to match up extremely well to the Infinity, and at less than half the price. And having JB at launch definitely sweetens the deal. And as a Google flagship product, it will almost certainly be the first to get updates. The lack of expandable memory is kind of a bummer, though.

What should I do, GAF?

So I was originally planning to go with the Transformer Pad Infinity (which comes out the middle of July), but I might switch it up and go with this instead.

I'd prefer a 10-inch tablet, to be honest, but this thing appears to match up extremely well to the Infinity, and at less than half the price. And having JB at launch definitely sweetens the deal. And as a Google flagship product, it will almost certainly be the first to get updates.

What should I do, GAF?

It comes down to this: do you want a 7 inch 720p screen or a bigger higher res screen, really.

Going by that page and numbers both perform close to the same, but the prime is doing it all at a huge resolution.

giga

Anandtech found it's using a T30L variant of the Tegra 3 and lower clocked ram. Basically same CPU as the infinity but a lower clocked GPU. The infinity needs all the gpu performance it can get--I actually don't think it's enough to drive 1080p apps. But for the N7 it should be fine.

So the next logical question is what performance is like on the Nexus 7. I asked around, did my own digging, and wound up confirming that what's inside the Nexus 7 is indeed a Tegra T30L SoC. This is a lower leakage / lower binning T30 that no doubt is offered at a cost advantage to ASUS - I was expecting a T30L inside and am wholly unsurprised to see one. The only difference is that CPU clocks are 1.15 GHz for all four cores at 100%, or 1.3 GHz on a single core. The GPU clock is also slightly lower at 416 MHz. The Nexus 7 also ships with 1 GB of RAM, and I'm pretty certain this is DDR2 at 500 MHz based on what I see from the digging I've done.
47744.png

47745.png

It comes down to this: do you want a 7 inch 720p screen or a bigger higher res screen, really.

Going by that page and numbers both perform close to the same, but the prime is doing it all at a huge resolution.

Good point.

About the resolution: The Infinity clearly has a much higher resolution, but one of the problems with Android is there are very few apps and content that take advantage of it. So at this point, I'm not even sure if it's worth getting such a high-resolution Android tablet. (I don't like Apple products, so the new iPad is not an alternative in this case.)

If I spring for the Prime, I probably shouldn't be too worried about a lack of updates, considering ASUS tends to get them early and frequently and does very little modification on them.

BFIB

Yeah I don't get why I'm being charged local sales tax. And paying for shipping just makes me want to wait it out for other retailers..

I'm so used to Amazon, I almost balked when I saw the shipping. But, who knows when this is hitting retailers. From the way I'm reading it, selling it through Google Play at this point is the only way they are making a profit, much like Amazon and their Fire.

I'd prefer a 10-inch tablet, to be honest, but this thing appears to match up extremely well to the Infinity, and at less than half the price. And having JB at launch definitely sweetens the deal. And as a Google flagship product, it will almost certainly be the first to get updates. The lack of expandable memory is kind of a bummer, though.

What should I do, GAF?

well, if you won't miss the larger, brighter, higher PPI screen, more ports, expandable memory, better battery life and potential keyboard dock, save yourself $300 and get the Nexus 7.

Asus isn't Google, but they have been pretty fast with their updates in the past.

Is browsing the web challenging on 7-inch tablets?

I've played around on the Fire a bit, but my experience with 7-inch tablets is very limited. Is it fairly easy to browse and type? I'm assuming it's not as easy as it is on a 10-inch, but is it a deal breaker?

well, if you won't miss the larger, brighter, higher PPI screen, more ports, expandable memory, better battery life and potential keyboard dock, save yourself $300 and get the Nexus 7.

Asus isn't Google, but they have been pretty fast with their updates in the past.

Yeah, I know ASUS isn't Google, but since it's been branded as a Google product, so I'm banking on it getting Galaxy Nexus-level support from Google. That's a pretty big selling point to me. Infinity will get quick updates, no doubt, but it's always fun being at the forefront.

xavi42

I noticed I hardly use the at&t cell phone network for my android phone, so I have decided to get this Nexus 7 and ditch the smartphone. I will live off wifi and stop giving at&t any more money for data.

BFIB

Is browsing the web challenging on 7-inch tablets?

I've played around on the Fire a bit, but my experience with 7-inch tablets is very limited. Is it fairly easy to browse and type? I'm assuming it's not as easy as it is on a 10-inch, but is it a deal breaker?

I thought the same thing before I bought the Kindle Fire. But I found it wasn't a big deal for me. 7" is more than capable to browse the net, read comixology, etc. Plus the resolution for a tablet this size, I would imagine the clarity is going to be well worth it.

Are you by a Best Buy? They should have their tablets out, so you can compare using a BB Playbook, or something like that.

I thought the same thing before I bought the Kindle Fire. But I found it wasn't a big deal for me. 7" is more than capable to browse the net, read comixology, etc. Plus the resolution for a tablet this size, I would imagine the clarity is going to be well worth it.

This is good to hear.

Really, $249 (I'm definitely springing for the 16 GB, given the lack of an SD slot) is cheap enough that if I don't like it, I'll just give it to someone else and go for something a bit higher-end.

Based on everything I've read, this is almost exactly what I wanted the Kindle Fire to be.

Blackhead

Redarse
Good point.

About the resolution: The Infinity clearly has a much higher resolution, but one of the problems with Android is there are very few apps and content that take advantage of it. So at this point, I'm not even sure if it's worth getting such a high-resolution Android tablet. (I don't like Apple products, so the new iPad is not an alternative in this case.)

If I spring for the Prime, I probably shouldn't be too worried about a lack of updates, considering ASUS tends to get them early and frequently and does very little modification on them.

Anandtech:
At 1920 x 1200 with a 10.1-inch diagonal, the Transformer Pad Infinity's Super IPS+ panel works out to a hefty 224 pixels per inch. That's shy of the iPad's 264 PPI but still a tremendous improvement over the 149 PPI of the previous generation Transformers. 1920 x 1200 is a fully supported resolution under Ice Cream Sandwich, so there's no funniness that has to happen in order to support the new display. It's still a 16:10 aspect ratio, but with a 1.5x increase in the horizontal and vertical dimensions.

The problem the big developers still designing for Gingerbread :/

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This is good to hear.

Really, $249 (I'm definitely springing for the 16 GB, given the lack of an SD slot) is cheap enough that if I don't like it, I'll just give it to someone else and go for something a bit higher-end.

Based on everything I've read, this is almost exactly what I wanted the Kindle Fire to be.

Had the same conclusion, and bought a Nexus 7 right after it went up for sale on Play. I've had a Fire since they launched and, while it has been a good reading device, the shit-poor screen just makes it not worth it for much else. When I first got it, I used it for all manner of things from gaming to websurfing to reading comics. Now it's just a pure Kindle reader.

The N7 will go back to being all those other things.

Zeth

Looks like the $199 model has about 6gb free out of the box. Might have to spring for the 16gb.

Edit: should've read this page.

Top Bottom