• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mrklaw

MrArseFace
storage is too small for having lots of apps, and hopefully they see the error of their ways and at least offer a 32GB version, or a micro SD slot in a later version. Although it looks like they wanted to hit a headline price of $250 so cut their cloth accordingly.

As a browse/cloud device it looks nice. £159 in the UK is almost cheap enough that you could buy a few for around the house. If the audio quality is good you could use it as a sonos type device or internet radio. Get one for each room of the house. Could be perfect for home automation types, or custom installers.

Bit-Bit

I honestly don't think you would need a ton of space considering everything is going to the cloud anyways. Between my Dropbox and Google Drive, I have more than enough space for things I would want on my tablet.

Some of you act like you're putting your entire HD movie collection on there.

BFIB

I honestly don't think you would need a ton of space considering everything is going to the cloud anyways. Between my Dropbox and Google Drive, I have more than enough space for things I would want on my tablet.

If I can't have instant access to the movie Drive in every room in my house with top of the line specs, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Not true.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Gameloft games are nearing the 1GB mark already. 5.3 GB of space is really fucking cramped even if you don't download a lot of apps.

BFIB

Looks like the UK will receive the 8GB in mid-July, the 16GB version on July 27th.

Hopefully that means us here in the states will get the tablet before then.

buhdeh

Think I shoulda bought this instead of my iPad 3... I literally only use it for web browsing and facebook (+ chat). Facebook is just completely awful on the iPad, though I guess I don't know if it'll be any better on Android. The e-mail client on the iPad sucks hard since I use gmail too.

iOS games are okay at best and so I rarely play any. Probably have about 1gb used on my iPad so the 8gb version of this tablet would be perfect for me. just worried about the 7" screen... I don't really find the iPad too big at the moment.

kehs

Banned
this thing doesn't run the fragments mode, so no tablet apps? all phone verisons???

that's weird.

Fragments isn't an automatic or all or nothing thing.

Each app has to provide the proper layout for the device. If a dev doesn't supply a seperate layout for a 7in tablet, the app will step down to the next layout and just upsize it.

Also fragments are just a tablet thing. Fragments are just display pieces that a dev can piece together that makes it easier to put together a tablet layout. Like in gmail, the inbox is an inbox fragment. On the phone it only shows one at a time, but on a tablet it'll show the inbox fragment, next to the email fragment.

Raistlin

joke post?
Yeah I'm a bit confused by his post.

This doesn't have digital audio output (unless maybe with a dock), and obviously its headphone jack is going to be crap versus something like Sonos with its dedicated stereo analog output and respectable DAC. Not to mention Android doesn't have a way to sync multiple rooms anyway.

Not sure what he's talking about ... unless he was referring to the Q?

This doesn't have digital audio output (unless maybe with a dock), and obviously its headphone jack is going to be crap versus something like Sonos with its dedicated stereo analog output and respectable DAC. Not to mention Android doesn't have a way to sync multiple rooms anyway.

No, I think he expects this tablet to have good enough speakers in itself, which baffled me in a big way.

kehs

Banned
Nexus 7 to be sold in stores at Carphone warehouse, which probably means it'll end up at Best Buy in the states.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-be-sold-carphone-warehouse-uk-16gb-£200

4.1 exposes USB audio out, does the DAC still matter in that case?

Zeppu

hO7z3.jpg

Raistlin

4.1 exposes USB audio out, does the DAC still matter in that case?
The DAC (in the device) doesn't matter when talking about digital audio. The bitstream is passed to your receiver.

This is what I was referring to when I said using a dock. The digital audio would be passed via USB to the dock, and the dock would have a coax digital or optical output to connect to your receiver. So yeah, it's usable.

However mrklaw mentioned one in every room - and that's where it would break down. Unless someone comes up with some sort of app, there isn't any built-in way to control multiple android devices for playing the same audio. You'd have to manually turn each on, and there's no way to force actual audio sync.

No, I think he expects this tablet to have good enough speakers in itself, which baffled me in a big way.
0_o

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

Raistlin

Build quality sounds quite good. Glad this isn't junk for the sake of a low entry price (though I wouldn't expect Asus to make crap in general).

It's going to be interesting to see how, or if, Amazon and B&N respond to this. Will they price a comparable or better unit at a similar price? How will the current Fire and Nook Tablet (and remaining Color) prices be affected by this?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How is gaming on this. Can you connect a usb controller pad to this and do games support it?

Raistlin

How is gaming on this. Can you connect a usb controller pad to this and do games support it?
Tegra 3 is pretty powerful (though it's unclear how down-clocked this variant is), but not quite iPad level in terms of GPU. I'd say the bigger issue is support, though if this sells well things should improve.

Tegra has its own market portal called the Tegra Zone. All the content on it is available through the regular market as well IIRC, but this app makes it nice and easy to find the games that are really pushing Android. Got a lot of nice pics, videos, and even some interviews.

Here's the link to the site, though obviously if you get the tablet you should download the app.

For controllers, I'm not sure if anything changed in Jelly Bean, but otherwise it's up to the OEM if they turn on USB hosting. You can hack it though. I can't really comment on performance and compatibility however as I never did this.

BlueTooth however does work nicely, and that seems to be the more common method as far as I know. I use a Wii Classic controller with my Transformer

rabhw

Bought the 8gb, but after seeing that storage screenshot, I'm thinking I might switch to the 16gb...

Of course Google doesn't let you change an order online, or cancel it online, and their phone lines are 20 min+ wait times. Faaaaaaantastic.

rozay

Banned
Yup. Waiting for the next Nexus that has it. Then finally I'll have a tablet that I want
There's no reason for google to make a nexus device with a SD slot at this point, so stop waiting. Sucks, but that's why other manufacturers make devices too.

They changed the clock font? :( it looked so classy in 4.0

The DAC (in the device) doesn't matter when talking about digital audio. The bitstream is passed to your receiver.

This is what I was referring to when I said using a dock. The digital audio would be passed via USB to the dock, and the dock would have a coax digital or optical output to connect to your receiver. So yeah, it's usable.
Can't you output digital audio via MHL?

JGS

Banned
Now that the price standard has been set by Kindle I really don't know the reasoning behind no including storage options. I'm not a techie and don't care about a camera, but storage always comes in handy. If Nintendo can afford it, I don't understand why tablet makers can't except to get people to use their services.

Now that the price standard has been set by Kindle I really don't know the reasoning behind no including storage options. I'm not a techie and don't care about a camera, but storage always comes in handy. If Nintendo can afford it, I don't understand why tablet makers can't except to get people to use their services.

thinnness, long battery life, sd card slot.

pick two.

kehs

Banned

It's a software design choice by Google.

elty

Google doesn't want to completely screw all the OEM (they probably want to screw Amazon), so there is no way for them to sell a full tablet with SD, HDMI out and everything else for no profit. So at the very least, Asus (or other) can still sell something similar with SD card slot for $250.

I found 7" screen a bit small though for browsing non mobile site. But then 10" tablet is kind of too heavy for prolong use.

Raistlin

Can't you output digital audio via MHL?
Yes, though you'd need a receiver/pre-pro that supports HDMI audio. Otherwise you're back to using a dock (or an HDMI switcher/converter that does PCM over coax/optical).

To be honest though, I'd argue a dock is more convenient anyway unless you're in a pinch. Having multiple I/O, a stand (nice for audio control), and charging is a much cleaner set up than the alternative.

Raistlin

Easy. Thin + long battery life.

SD cards can screw themselves. Plenty of other workarounds.
What are the 'plenty of workarounds'? The only one I can think of is a micro USB to USB converter along with a thumb drive or HDD.

Also, microSD should not effect thinness. It's called micro for a reason. It's thinner than the microUSB and headphone jacks. Battery life is true, though obviously most would like the option of using it. And it's not like it would drop the battery life by some crazy amount. There's like a ~25% drop on the Sansa Clip I used to have ... and that's on its tiny battery.

This might be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance.

Is there any way to watch Amazon Instant Video on a non-Kindle Fire Android tablet? I've got quite a substantial amount of video purchased on Amazon, and I'd like to be able to view it on a tablet like the Nexus 7, if at all possible. I have no interest whatsoever in buying a Fire.

dwebo

yeah, it's enough for a few hours of 720p video, which is fine for a day's commute

battery life from the engadget review better than expected. it's only really testing how efficient the wifi / hardware video acceleration is, but that probably covers most of my expected use

Izick

Tegra 3 is pretty powerful (though it's unclear how down-clocked this variant is), but not quite iPad level in terms of GPU. I'd say the bigger issue is support, though if this sells well things should improve.

Tegra has its own market portal called the Tegra Zone. All the content on it is available through the regular market as well IIRC, but this app makes it nice and easy to find the games that are really pushing Android. Got a lot of nice pics, videos, and even some interviews.

Here's the link to the site, though obviously if you get the tablet you should download the app.

For controllers, I'm not sure if anything changed in Jelly Bean, but otherwise it's up to the OEM if they turn on USB hosting. You can hack it though. I can't really comment on performance and compatibility however as I never did this.

BlueTooth however does work nicely, and that seems to be the more common method as far as I know. I use a Wii Classic controller with my Transformer

Does that in theory mean I should be able to just sync my PS3 controller up with it and just go?

JCX

Is there any way to watch Amazon Instant Video on a non-Kindle Fire Android tablet? I've got quite a substantial amount of video purchased on Amazon, and I'd like to be able to view it on a tablet like the Nexus 7, if at all possible. I have no interest whatsoever in buying a Fire.

I have the same question. As much as I've looked around, Amazon Instant video seems to be Fire exclusive.

a 7" tablet is designed to be used on the go. Cloud services are not. Not adding SD card support is a major flaw in my opinion.

Raistlin

http://mobiputing.com/2011/11/amazo...from-kindle-fire-plays-nice-with-nook-tablet/

Admittedly I haven't tried it on my Transformer to see how the resolution change affects it (it's the same 1280x800 as the Nexus 7). I'll mess around with it this weekend and report back.

6GB is more than enough for most people.
That's very debatable. I'm not a super heavy app user on phones, and I ran out of space on my Samsung Focus with hardly any media at all on it. Mostly just apps and games. And that's an even bigger problem with HD tablet apps and games in general. Google bumped up the file size cap from 50 MB to 4 GB earlier this year. IIRC the new Sonic game is like 500 MB.

With that in mind, even 16GB is problematic if you plan to use it for a lot of media.

Prob not. Just use a diff player than stock.

That's very debatable. I'm not a super heavy app user on phones, and I ran out of space on my Samsung Focus with hardly any media at all on it. Mostly just apps and games. And that's an even bigger problem with HD tablet apps and games in general. Google bumped up the file size cap from 50 MB to 4 GB earlier this year. IIRC the new Sonic game is like 500 MB.

With that in mind, even 16GB is problematic if you plan to use it for a lot of media.

Agreed. It's not just media that takes up space. Alot of reference apps take up large amounts of space. The Audubon plant/animal identification apps take up over 4.5 GB of space on my current tablet.

Raistlin

Does that in theory mean I should be able to just sync my PS3 controller up with it and just go?
I'm using an app to sync the WiiMote.

IIRC, the PS3 controller apps require root access for some reason ... but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I admittedly haven't kept up with it though so things may have changed.

Top Bottom