• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Methinks I'm making this decision harder than it needs to be.

I think I should bite on this at $250 and then look at a high-end 10-inch tablet further down the road. There's not really a 10-inch tablet out there that screams "MUST BUY!" to me right now.

Maybe we'll get a super beefed-up 10-inch Nexus tablet next year. That would be cool.

Izick

I'm using an app to sync the WiiMote.

IIRC, the PS3 controller apps require root access for some reason ... but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I admittedly haven't kept up with it though so things may have changed.

Ah, I guess I could use a Wiinot then too.

There's already one in the play store and has been for years

I never have used Android or Google Play before, so I was just asking.

What about Spotify?

JGS

Banned
Methinks I'm making this decision harder than it needs to be.

I think I should bite on this at $250 and then look at a high-end 10-inch tablet further down the road. There's not really a 10-inch tablet out there that screams "MUST BUY!" to me right now.

Maybe we'll get a super beefed-up 10-inch Nexus tablet next year. That would be cool.
Group on has a Toshiba Excite Tablet on sale for about 250 and it had every port under the son. I like Toshiba products but I really didn't want a 10 inch tablet.

Group on has a Toshiba Excite Tablet on sale for about 250 and it had every port under the son. I like Toshiba products but I really didn't want a 10 inch tablet.

I think the main reason I haven't bitten on one is that I'm really looking for a 10-inch tablet that comes with Google's stamp of approval. I want a tablet that Google is 100% behind and will make a top priority.

The Nexus 7 is that in a 7-inch form factor, so I'm hoping we eventually get a Nexus 10. And if that one is built by Asus as well, I will be very happy. Asus makes great products.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Oh cool, thanks Orayn.

So, I was just thinking. What exactly am I going to need a bunch of space for? What exactly isn't attached to the cloud? Games? Is that it?

If you always have a wifi connection, you only need space for apps/games.

Izick

If you always have a wifi connection, you only need space for apps/games.

Hmm, I do indeed. I just can't decide whether to plop down the extra 50$ or not on the 16 GB model. I'm not really sure how interested I'll be in gaming on a tablet, and I'm not even sure I know any must have apps besides Sptotify, Neflix, and maybe a Facebook or twitter app.

Talked with GF, going to order one of these. The 16GB is not available yet for preorder in Canada (or at least not at this very moment), so I'll grab one when available.

For the record, Engadget got 9:49 of battery life on their test. Damn impressive!

Hmm, I do indeed. I just can't decide whether to plop down the extra 50$ or not on the 16 GB model. I'm not really sure how interested I'll be in gaming on a tablet, and I'm not even sure I know any must have apps besides Sptotify, Neflix, and maybe a Facebook or twitter app.

spend the extra $50. You'll want it if you ever plan on traveling with your tablet.

Talked with GF, going to order one of these. The 16GB is not available yet for preorder in Canada (or at least not at this very moment), so I'll grab one when available.

For the record, Engadget got 9:49 of battery life on their test. Damn impressive!

whip.jpg

Izick

And they said that's with a video constantly set on loop as well.

spend the extra $50. You'll want it if you ever plan on traveling with your tablet.

Hmm, I probably should, but I don't like travel at all, but I guess you never know what happens in the future though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Engadget's review is glowing: "The Nexus 7 is an amazing package for something that costs a penny less than $200. It feels like something that could sell for much more. It has a great screen, solid performance and a clean, clear, uncluttered version of Google's latest operating system, Jelly Bean."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They also said it has nearly 10 hours of battery life. That's better than any electronic I own, except maybe my DS Lite. Maybe.

Very pleased to hear the viewing angles are great, too. Will make sharing content a bit easier.

Tegra 3 is pretty powerful (though it's unclear how down-clocked this variant is), but not quite iPad level in terms of GPU. I'd say the bigger issue is support, though if this sells well things should improve.

Tegra has its own market portal called the Tegra Zone. All the content on it is available through the regular market as well IIRC, but this app makes it nice and easy to find the games that are really pushing Android. Got a lot of nice pics, videos, and even some interviews.

Here's the link to the site, though obviously if you get the tablet you should download the app.

For controllers, I'm not sure if anything changed in Jelly Bean, but otherwise it's up to the OEM if they turn on USB hosting. You can hack it though. I can't really comment on performance and compatibility however as I never did this.

BlueTooth however does work nicely, and that seems to be the more common method as far as I know. I use a Wii Classic controller with my Transformer

Anandtech says 416MHz GPU instead of the standard 500MHz, and we already know it's 1.2GHz CPU in multi-core and 1.3GHz single core.

thinnness, long battery life, sd card slot.

pick two.

those aren't choices that need to be made, especially not from Asus. the real answer is Google's war on file managers (and SD cards) continues on.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have an iPad 3.

Sadly, I'm a tech fiend so I will probably buy one of these too lol.

Build quality sounds quite good. Glad this isn't junk for the sake of a low entry price (though I wouldn't expect Asus to make crap in general).

It's going to be interesting to see how, or if, Amazon and B&N respond to this. Will they price a comparable or better unit at a similar price? How will the current Fire and Nook Tablet (and remaining Color) prices be affected by this?

As long as Amazon has its marketplace, streaming movie setup and ecosystem built around Kindle in particular, it will have a market. It just needs to keep up.

Neat. Any estimated shipping date? I'll be going on vacation on July 18, which is probably when they'll start shipping out I'd imagine.

Heh, the dreaded authorization hold.
not sure on the date, but shipping was 20 bucks and it says 2 day shipping. Not sure what that's like (perhaps 2 days?!?!).

Total for me was 256.

So tempted to join the club!
stop thinking and do it already.

Cheebo

Banned
Despite my insistence of not getting one due to no expandable memory I am breaking down and getting one. I can add storage via a USB OTG cable right?

And yes, I am also in the already owning iPad 3 club as well.

BFIB

That review is insane from engadget. From reading other sites and their comments, it seems this tablet is the one to get, if you're into the market for a 7" alternative.

I just want a concrete release date.

EDIT: Pyro, I did an impulse buy on this also. But I only have a Fire to compare it to.

rozay

Banned
From anandtech:

Update: I've had many emails and questions about whether USB-OTG (On The Go) is supported on the Nexus 7, and didn't touch on it when I originally hit publish becuause I wasn't entirely sure. I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter.
Hope it doesn't change before release, but you should be good Cheebo

Top Bottom