• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

CaLe

I got my 16 GB Nexus yesterday and I love it so far... Can someone link to a post in this thread where the best apps to get are listed ? (if there's one)

What widgets do you guys use also ? I only use the Gmail ones, I don't care much for weather. This leaves me with a lot of empty screens...

DagsJT

If you thought the stock Nexus 7 was fast, the CM10 mod is even faster again. Just feels a lot snappier still, and the stock browser feels a lot better than Chrome.

Roko

Plugged headphones into it for the first time yesterday only to find that I have to wiggle on them to get sound in both speaker. I then have to keep them from moving in the jack to keep the sound from cutting out. I was afraid it was my headphones but I tried another pair and same problem. Office Depot only does exchanges for technology items and I doubt they've got any in stock.

Someone mentioned dead pixels in a previous post; I've got two stuck pixels on this one, both red.

To follow up on my previous post, I was not able to exchange it due to them being on backorder but they did go ahead and give me a refund. They didn't know when they'd get any more in but hopefully these issues will have been ironed out on the production line in the next batch.

bob page

Impressions from an iPad 2 owner:

-Build quality and size are nice. No creaks or dead pixels here. Browsing in portrait is fine but landscape is pretty useless and squished at this size.
-Typing is more difficult than the iPad but this could probably be fixed through swift key.
-Seems like it takes more scrolling To get through a page (and no snap to top gesture??).
-Screen is very clear.
-Notifications are a lot nicer than iOS.
-I'm missing the tablet versions of apps like flip board and Twitter- hopefully they'll be supported in the near future.

I mainly use my iPad for browsing so over the next week I'll probably decide in keeping it and selling my iPad and kindle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Impressions from an iPad 2 owner:

-Build quality and size are nice. No creaks or dead pixels here. Browsing in portrait is fine but landscape is pretty useless and squished at this size.
-Typing is more difficult than the iPad but this could probably be fixed through swift key.
-Seems like it takes more scrolling To get through a page (and no snap to top gesture??).
-Screen is very clear.
-Notifications are a lot nicer than iOS.
-I'm missing the tablet versions of apps like flip board and Twitter- hopefully they'll be supported in the near future.

I mainly use my iPad for browsing so over the next week I'll probably decide in keeping it and selling my iPad and kindle.
Yeah, snap to top is sorely needed.

bob page

I think my main concern with the 7" form factor is that it will never replace a laptop for me. As someone who built a desktop and owns no laptop, the iPad is pretty much my portable companion and I can count on it for word processing and other productivity related things if necessary. I can't really imagine myself doing those things with a 7" tablet.

But then the price and the portability make me want to keep the Nexus 7, so I really have no idea what to do yet- I never take my iPad from my apartment (except when traveling) but I can take this guy anywhere. I guess I'll keep playing around with it before my return period is up.

g23

European pre-madonna
Damnit my unit has started creaking? Its really annoying. Is there an easy solution to this other then going through the return process which would take weeks.

Emily Chu

Banned
Damnit my unit has started creaking? Its really annoying. Is there an easy solution to this other then going through the return process which would take weeks.

sure you can crack the back open and tighten the screws on the left side it'll be good for a couple of hours but it'll be back in the morning...

Did you buy it though the play store ?
Bane voice: it will be very painful

g23

European pre-madonna
sure you can crack the back open and tighten the screws on the left side it'll be good for a couple of hours but it'll be back in the morning...

Did you buy it though the play store ?
Bane voice: it will be very painful

I did :\ I read about taking out the sponge in the back will fix the creaking, can anyone confirm this?

kehs

Banned
If the issue with the creaking is fixed temporarily with the screw tightening it sounds like they forgot to put lock tite in the screws. You can pick it up at home depot for like five bucks or something.

Yes yes that's ridiculous to have to fix your own $200 dollars but I'm just putting it out there.

Izick

I'm still kind of curious as to why the screen issue is only on certain units. It seems like it is caused because of the way they tighten the screws improperly, which seems like it would be a problem for every unit.

Also, before you're too happy, just wait it out to see if yours creeks, because it took mine a good week before I saw anything out of the ordinary.

tfur

Really happy with Stick It. I have always wanted to have the ability to float a video while web surfing and email etc. Take note Google, more of this type multitasking.

Fox Mulder

Two tablets? Plus my already owned Kindle, MacBook Air, and Galaxy Note? That's just too much. I only really use my tablet to browse the internet, anyway, and the iPad is great for that.

Yeah, I have an iPad 2 and android smartphone. Good enough for me.

I'm interested in the android ecosystem doing well though, and want to see some solid competition. The apps need to come over though.

shamo42

What do you do though? Play games on the go, read books, listen to music?

Play games and surf the web mostly. I share the internet connection from my phone which I carry with my anyway (Wifi and bluetooth tethering both work. I'm not sure yet which one has less battery drain.)

edit: Apparently bluetooth tethering is a lot more battery friendly.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Navigating the web on this device is lovely, especially when coming from my phone which has a 3.2 in screen, 512MB of RAM and a 600mh CPU.

Navigating the web on this device is lovely, especially when coming from my phone which has a 3.2 in screen, 512MB of RAM and a 600mh CPU.

Yeah, haven't touched my iPhone since getting the N7. I just wish they'd update comixology to fix the glitches cause I've got $50 in comics and plan to spend more, and it ought to be a flawless reading experience if I'm spending that sort of money

Also just noticed that my comics are out of order, Locke & Key volume 3 comes before volume 2 on the comics page and you can't organize it? Wtf man

Dizzan

MINI Member
Rooted my 7, paired it with a PS3 controller, and have been enjoying Dead Ringer and Shadowgun.

It's a shame we have to root to use the PS3 controller.

Doesn't rooting void the warranty?

In Australia, rooting means something completely different and always gets a giggle out of me.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Holy shit, apps aren't necessary to read mangas like I previously thought. On a website like Mangafox, the pages fits perfectly the width of the screen by default. The way it should be!

edit: Actually, using eManga is better in every way. But I'll probably read new chapters on Mangafox since it's a simple click from Google Reader.

Salaadin

Anyone know of any cases similar to the ones they make for Kindle Touch? I like how that one is made so the device just kinda snaps into it and the entire surface is uncovered.
I want a case but a lot of these slide in cases with the velcro strap to lock it in just dont look right to me. The cheapo one i got from amazon doesn't even feel good but that might be because it was so cheap.

xJavonta

Banned
I don't know why I want this. I already have an iPad 2.

It's the Google lover in me I guess, but I'm totally grabbing one....

eventually.

Levi

Banned
It's a shame we have to root to use the PS3 controller.

Doesn't rooting void the warranty?

In Australia, rooting means something completely different and always gets a giggle out of me.

I'm sure it does void the warranty, but it is trivial to unroot and return to stock.

If you don't want the minor hassle of rooting, a wired 360 controller will work using a USB OTG cable.

davidnic

Finally got my nexus 7 but I didn't have time to really play with it at Lunch which sucked! It will have wait to I got home tonight (after my bike ride) :(

But there was system update for JB so I started that before I left home.

Chorazin

Man, I am absolutely loving the 7" form factor! I was worried it would be too small moving From my Galaxy Tab 10.1, but I am finding the N7 much easier to hold and surf on.

I especially like how I can have more overlap between the apps on my Gnex and my N7, I don't really need a special tablet version, phone version works just fine and doesn't seems too small for the 7" screen.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, balls. The touch screen keeps screwing up on my N7. It's happened a half dozen times in two days. The only way to fix it is to power it off. Anyone else having issues?

I REALLY want Plants Versus Zombines on mine, is it morally wrong to buy the game via my Galaxy SII and then download an .apk installer on the Nexus?

The only way to get it (and chuzzle) is via the Amazon App store which isn't available in the UK.

Cartman86

Banned
Well, balls. The touch screen keeps screwing up on my N7. It's happened a half dozen times in two days. The only way to fix it is to power it off. Anyone else having issues?

Just turning the screen off should fix it. It's a known issue that were waiting to see if Google will acknowledge and maybe fix through software. I'm probably just going to get a replacement.

Bollocks

Has anyone had any issues with their unit just turning off randomly? My housemate just got hers and it keeps doing this

Does she wear bracelets by any chance? If so check for magnets. I had a bracelet that could send my laptop into hibernation mode by just hovering over the lower left corner

Does she wear bracelets by any chance? If so check for magnets. I had a bracelet that could send my laptop into hibernation mode by just hovering over the lower left corner

Nah it's not that. I think it's defective. After it shuts down, we reboot it and it won't get past the nexus X logo without shutting down again. Takes a few tries to get going. Hopefully we can exchange it.

Top Bottom