• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

bob page

Anywhere else other than Staples in the U.S. to hope to find this thing in stores today? Only one within 50 miles I can find they can't hold, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes to have someone else nab it.
I just picked up one in NYC- I think I got the last one because they were opening it up for display.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bloody hell this place is quick.

ibgldiO38zZ4TG.gif

:D
In the mean time, many of my questions have gone ignored.

Maybe people have me on ignore, haha.

Emily Chu

Banned
Seemed like you knew that going into it. I'll be a sad panda is the one I get this week has that screen creak thing.

yeah I knew exactly what I was getting into

an experiment to see if I like tablets or not

in a prolong week usage test drive

couldn't really justify owning one because I much rather just have the flexibility of a laptop
Full Desktop OS - Windows, running whatever software I damn will please

and I found out I really hate a touch screen this big @ 7"

and most of the time I was like couldn't I just do this "better" on a laptop vs holding a awkwardly shaped tablet thingy ?

it more or less reinforced my ideals of just owning two computing devices for most of my day 2 day stuff

a Workhorse capable laptop - Thinkpad T410 and a Smartphone for everything else

Galaxy Nexus

there was just no room at least in my usage scenario for this particular device

so yeah I reap what I sow

I enjoyed whatever time I had with it though, had I not own the Gnex or had a lesser phone I would have kept the 7, but right now I'm still rocking only the laptop/smartphone combo and don't really feel if anything is really missing from a computing experience.

you can even say I still have a mini Nexus 7 as a phone.

I still <3 android though but to me it'll always be a phone OS

oh well lesson learned and one less device to worry about.

fun little gadget, was fun while it lasted tootles

U2NUMB

Well since I could not find it anywhere I had to pre order it at gamestop. The guy told me he can only get shipped what is pre ordered and it is between a week and 2 weeks out. Took 5 bucks to reserve but I figured why not since I do not see anyone else having it ready for pick up anytime soon.

So in case others are striking out Gamestop is still taking orders and will deliver once they get them.

kehs

Banned
yeah I knew what I was getting into an experiment to see if I like tablets or not

in a prolong week test drive

couldn't really justify owning one because I much rather just have the flexibility of a laptop
Full Desktop OS - Windows, running whatever software I damn will please

and I found out I really hate a touch screen this big @ 7"

and most of the time I was like couldn't I just do this "better" on a laptop vs holding a awkwardly shaped tablet thingy ?

it more or less reinforced my ideals of just owning two computing devices for most of my day 2 day stuff

a Workhorse capable laptop - Thinkpad T410 and a Smartphone for everything else

Galaxy Nexus

there was just no room at least in my usage scenario for this particular device

so yeah I reap what I sow

I enjoyed whatever time I had with it though, had I not own the Gnex or had a lesser phone I would have kept the 7, but right now I'm still rocking only the laptop/smartphone combo and don't really feel if anything is really missing from a computing experience.

you can even say I still have a mini Nexus 7 as a phone.

I still <3 android though but to me it'll always be a phone OS

I'm not surprised, that's pretty much what I'm expecting, hence me getting rid of my GN because I'm getting the 7. I have a laptop at home too, but even that gets usurped most of the time by my gn.

Emily Chu

Banned
Did you already return it, Emily?

yup, got a full refund from Gamestop $272.18 this morning

one less thing to worry about
the shoddy hardware problems was my last straw, so I just decided to cut it loose and the fact that I own a Gnex made it redundant
just say it doesn't turn on or something, they didn't even check, put all the stuff back in and just keep the receipt.
that was the good thing there policy said EXCHANGED ONLY

but since they had no stock, I just got the full refund instead
nothing gain, nothing lost
just a realization that it might be my first and last tablet.

the tablet computer has got a long way to go imo.

but I'm not against the idea of a phablet like the galaxy note though....
some middle ground 6"-6.5" phone/tablet hybrid incorporating the best of both worlds so to speak and just pack it with batteries.
lightweight, easy to hold, but easy on the eyes for media and such.
oh and 16 GB is a friggin joke people dropbox or Gdrive it's a friggin joke... without expandable memory.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You know you can use periods instead of line breaks, right?

Cipherr

the shoddy hardware problems was my last straw, so I just decided to cut it loose and the fact that I own a Gnex made it redundant
just say it doesn't turn on or something, they didn't even check, put all the stuff back in and just keep the receipt.

some middle ground 6"-6.5" phone/tablet hybrid incorporating the best of both worlds so to speak and just pack it with batteries.
oh and 16 GB is a friggin joke people dropbox or Gdrive it's a friggin joke... without expandable memory.

Oh god, your gonna be one of those "Bigass Galaxy Note 2" owners arent you.
lol.gif

Izick

It had a good run. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy another one down the road or what. The screen creak kind of pisses me off though. Such a shame.

Izick

Okay, so I'm curious....I hear that people are calling Google about their defective N7's, and that Google is sending them a replacement, but that they can keep the original (defective) unit in the mean time until it arrives.

Is this Google Play Store orders only, or can you do this with one bought from a brick and mortar store?

Izick

So should I even call Google? Gamestop will refund me my money, but who knows when they'll get another shipment, not to mention it seems like defect rates for this thing are relatively high, so there's a good chance I'll get fucked again.

I deserve it though. RIGHT!?

ifb75e0wZiSXP.gif

The iPad 3 is great in all the ways the Nexus 7 is not. If you're still in the market for a tablet and can afford it it remains the best of breed.

Izick

If I don't get another one, I may look into an iPad at some point. I just can't really enjoy videos on such a small screen. My laptop's screen at 15.6 just feels perfect. I'm not sure how big the iPad's screen is, but I'm worried it won't be big enough.

I'm going to check out my girls 16GB ver. to see how I like it, even tho I own a Galaxy Nexus already. Didn't know the hype for the 16GB model would be like this. I can wait tho lol

If I don't get another one, I may look into an iPad at some point. I just can't really enjoy videos on such a small screen. My laptop's screen at 15.6 just feels perfect. I'm not sure how big the iPad's screen is, but I'm worried it won't be big enough.

iPad has quite a big screen. It's a lot bigger than the nexus 7. Like a lot.

Mine served me for a long time, it's worth a buy.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
thankfully my

Nexus 7 works fine without any
hardware issues
the lack of tablet
applications

is a bit worrisome, but i trust that will improve over time

all in all,
i am quite happy with the device

!

I'm having a problem where the screen becomes completely laggy and unresponsive. I have to reboot the entire tablet just to get functionality back.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Just got my 16gb in the mail. First android device and I'm digging it. What exactly is the screen creak?

I think people are complaining that the screws weren't tightened properly and the screen isn't as snug as it should be so the system "creaks" when the user puts the slightest bit of pressure on it...such as tapping or pressing when playing a game.

Should I wait to see the next iteration, check out the newest one, or the second generation one? I'M SO CONFUSED.
well they are releasing a smaller cheaper ipad. But honestly, once you see the retina display on the ipad 3, you'll want that. You could wait for the update to the 3 and then buy the 3 for 100 bucks or so cheaper. But I'd just get a 3 if you don't want to wait.

tfur

That's what I said until I had it for a week.

Sounds like you have the post honeymoon tablet condition. The realization that you really do not need a tablet, and perhaps some weight from the decision of spending money on this unneeded tablet.

I have an IPad 1 and an iPad 3, but I actually am preferring this form factor PLUS, the Andriod OS is easily superior for my use case. Web browsing, YouTube, cloud document acquisition, email, Google services, and local file storage transfers via WiFi. The size is also nicer than larger tablets for holding, or walking.

There are issues with the cheaper hardware, and a few rough edges even in Jelly Bean... but at least with Android those edges exist.

Izick

Sounds like you have the post honeymoon tablet condition. The realization that you really do not need a tablet, and perhaps some weight from the decision of spending money on this unneeded tablet.

I have an IPad 1 and an iPad 3, but I actually am preferring this form factor PLUS, the Andriod OS is easily superior for my use case. Web browsing, YouTube, cloud document acquisition, email, Google services, and local file storage transfers via WiFi. The size is also nicer than larger tablets for holding, or walking.

There are issues with the cheaper hardware, and a few rough edges even in Jelly Bean... but at least with Android those edges exist.

I do think I have what you are saying, but in that instance I was referring to the hardware not creaking/screen problems.

Emily Chu

Banned
The iPad 3 is great in all the ways the Nexus 7 is not. If you're still in the market for a tablet and can afford it it remains the best of breed.

Well it seems that way I've noticed that there is a thin thing holding down he actual screen on the iPad 3
Hence zero screen creak

Izick

I still wonder though if I really need, or even seriously want a tablet now. I really like the ease of use on the N7, but is it really worth it? I mean for 200$ it wasn't that pricey, but it has problems FOR ME.

Watching videos just doesn't really feel all that great. It's too small, and the lack of flash kills it. Yeah, there are HTML 5 sites, and everybody hates Flash, but when 99% of sites use it, it's hard to avoid it.

I love the portability of this thing, I just don't know if I'd really use it long term. Posting on Gaf or surfing Youtube just seems obtuse in comparison to my laptop. It's just kind of disappointing.

Hieberrr

I still wonder though if I really need, or even seriously want a tablet now. I really like the ease of use on the N7, but is it really worth it? I mean for 200$ it wasn't that pricey, but it has problems FOR ME.

Watching videos just doesn't really feel all that great. It's too small, and the lack of flash kills it. Yeah, there are HTML 5 sites, and everybody hates Flash, but when 99% of sites use it, it's hard to avoid it.

I love the portability of this thing, I just don't know if I'd really use it long term. Posting on Gaf or surfing Youtube just seems obtuse in comparison to my laptop. It's just kind of disappointing.

If you are asking yourself these questions, then you probably don't need one :)

As for Flash, you can actually just find the APK and install it and then use Firefox for flash-purposed browsing.

So, my advice is this: Save your money and spend it elsewhere (or just save it for later).

Izick

I guess I will do that then. It is definitely a great device for those who are interested though. Once they iron out these hardware issues, I say check it out. I may pick another one up down the line, but for now I think I'm just going to return it for my money.

If flash is a big thing for you there are plenty of workarounds with or without rooting. Although Paul O' Brien has put together a stock JB rom with the aosp browser back which supports flash and the keyboard which allows you to long press for numbers. I'm tempted to root, mostly because I love the stock browser on the G Nexus and I think quick controls will work brilliantly on the 7" screen.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Any ipad 3 owners in here grab a nexus 7 to mess around with?

If so, how has it been?

I owned and ipad 1 and I currently have an ipad 3. I love getting my hands on new tech though so I'm tempted.

So the guys with screen creaks. Are you guys just applying the fix and thats it or are you returning it to the Play store? I am debating whether or not to return mine since the fix didnt fix it completely.

Izick

So the guys with screen creaks. Are you guys just applying the fix and thats it or are you returning it to the Play store? I am debating whether or not to return mine since the fix didnt fix it completely.

Returning mine to Gamestop. Probably just going to get a refund, pick up a game (likely Mass Effect 3) and walk away.

Top Bottom