• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

My only concern with Kelly's offense is that it relies heavily on superior athletes. There simply isn't that same athletic gulf between teams or between offenses and defenses as there is in college. He seems pretty intelligent so I'm interested to see what he does to tweak it.
Superior athletes and superior conditioning. Sort of like the advantage Urbz had at Florida for the first couple years before Bama and LSU shored up.

I'm excited to see what he does in the league. I don't think he'll be dominant by any means, but it's nice to see offensive shakeup in the league.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Cardinals have to play Seahawks and 49ers four times a year and an improving Rams team.

The Jets GM would likely get a one-year pass and he could bring in his own guy and start rebuilding.

Yeah but the Jets GM has to deal with that horrible Sanchez contract, the awful salary cap situations, and neutered powers that Woody Johnson is offering.

squicken

EJ Manuel or Collin Klein but both are stretching it.

Klein just can't play in the NFL at QB. He just can't throw the ball at all, and I doubt Kelly is going to run the wishbone. Dunno on Manuel. Have heard before that Boyd would have been perfect

I think the idea of this offense is you don't need a first round pick QB to run it, at least now. If lots of teams start running his type of offense, then the types of guys that fit best will be scarce

bluemax

Banned
Why has there been no mentionable USC DBs then? Also I was hoping it was the secondary coach so we could throw money at him since there is no cap on coaches.

Troy Polamalu? Terrell Thomas?

Actually I won't lie, DBs have been an issue at SC even while we had Pete.

effzee

He will be in much better offense than Reid's for his skill set. Since it is run focused like wash., Seattle , and SF their is less of an emphasis on his passing. Also the reads are much easier for passing since your first read is open most of the time. I mean their is a reason why so many college QBs and young NFL QBs are having success with it.

Exactly. And this is assuming that he will run the exact same offense that he ran at Oregon.

Lets give him the benefit of doubt that unlike Reid, he will be smart enough to run the offense that fits the roster he has. Now he can mold the roster from now till opening day so he can bring in a lot of his own players to fit the style.

I always said Vick could be so much better if the offense was more centered around running the ball and limiting the things Vick has to do.

Now he has to stay healthy but if anything I would think this would simplify the offense for him. Zone blocking, power running, and single read plays might make Vick dynamic again.

Why does everyone think they are keeping Vick? Vick is going to make a ton of money this upcoming season and he was terrible last season when he played. Unless he is willing to take a paycut, I don't think there is room for him.

I think Vick already said he would consider restructuring. There are also reports out now that as soon as the Eagles knew Reid would no longer come back, Vick told sources he would consider what the Eagles do next for HC before deciding if he would restructure.

Now still up to the Eagles and Kelly on who they want but if its Vick, it will be Vick either with the current contract or restructured for less money.

mr2xxx

Banned
He had 5 INTs and 4 FFs for the Giants in 2010, following a 5 INT season the year before. Did you just start watching football?
It was joke because he always seems to be hurt, or was that your other Cb or all of them? Can't keep track of the giants secondary injuries, you guys have terrible luck.

effzee

I think a lot of people misunderstand Chip's offense. His philosophies tend to be more like what Seattle is doing with Wilson than what Washington is doing with RG3.

The QB isn't the primary runner in Chip's offense. He uses a combo of downhill, between the tackles power running and then some motion base, jet sweep perimeter plays.

Having a QB who can run is a bonus that gives him an extra weapon to work with. He's not running the single wing or the wishbone.

Again agree. If anything this is super exciting because if anything this means Kelly will work to fix the OLINE (which actually can be fixed right away with the #4 pick and Peters coming back healthy) and a power running game. I mean I am already dreaming about McCoy, Brown, and Lewis running the ball 30+ times a game!

cdyhybrid

I thought we were cool! Don't make me root for the Niners.

Why has there been no mentionable USC DBs then? Also I was hoping it was the secondary coach so we could throw money at him since there is no cap on coaches.

Much different beast compared to college. He chose Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays and based on how their careers have gone, that was clearly the right choice. Bluemax could probably tell you more, though.

bluemax

Banned
Should of specified CB, but you should have more than one good one on your résumé.

There was also Eric whatshisface who transferred to Nevada and then got drafted by the Browns.

Shareece Wright for the Chargers as well.

But like I said USC had crap corners for most of Pete's tenure. The defensive line and line backers were always the main strength.

Again agree. If anything this is super exciting because if anything this means Kelly will work to fix the OLINE (which actually can be fixed right away with the #4 pick and Peters coming back healthy) and a power running game. I mean I am already dreaming about McCoy, Brown, and Lewis running the ball 30+ times a game!

Hopefully they can build up the defense enough to keep games close so they can run the ball 30+ times. I would love to see the Eagles with a power running game.

squicken

Is Lovie Smith waiting for a HC job to open up? Surprised he hasn't been snagged as a DC yet, although it's been a long ass time.

Teams don't want defensive coaches. When 1st and 2nd year offensive coordinators get jobs, the only way to keep one is to make him the head coach. Of the final four playoff teams, only one is even in the top half of the league in defense

Hope Lovie comes to STL. Don't hate Rob Ryan, but would rather have Lovie

TheFatOne

There was an excellent article about the Pats incorporating some aspects from Chip Kellys offense at Oregon.

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.Formation.Blocking scheme.Direction on run plays.Routes for receiver on passing plays.Shifts in formations.Snap count.Possible alerts and play alterations.One word.

If you want to see what’s next on the pro level, look to the colleges. That’s what Belichick does, with his alliances with coaches such as Nick Saban (LSU and Alabama), Urban Meyer (Florida and Ohio State) and, now, Kelly.

That’s why when Kelly walked into Gillette Stadium two years ago — and he’s been there three times total — ears perked up among the Patriots’ coaches, including Belichick.

Kelly had become friendly with former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien while both were rising in the college ranks. The UNH coaching staff would visit Brown, where O’Brien was coaching, for pickup basketball games and to talk X’s and O’s.

Kelly told the Patriots he was moving to a no-huddle that only used one word to signify everything involved in a play.

Sideline calls take too long. Wristbands too.

One word is all that is needed.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...s-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

I definitely think he can adapt some of what he does in the pros, but he needs the right QB obviously. I will definitely watch what he does on offense. Nice to see the NFL shaken up a little bit.

Edit: In the article it mentions the Pats had growing pains incorperating the one word no huddle. So if I were a Philly fan I would be patient with the offense. It's going to take some time for the players to get used to it.

Talon

Teams don't want defensive coaches. When 1st and 2nd year offensive coordinators get jobs, the only way to keep one is to make him the head coach. Of the final four playoff teams, only one is even in the top half of the league in defense

Hope Lovie comes to STL. Don't hate Rob Ryan, but would rather have Lovie
Scoring defense, mang. #2 San Fran, #5 Atlanta, #9 New England, #12 Baltimore

mr2xxx

Banned
There was also Eric whatshisface who transferred to Nevada and then got drafted by the Browns.

Shareece Wright for the Chargers as well.

But like I said USC had crap corners for most of Pete's tenure. The defensive line and line backers were always the main strength.

Yeah their LB pedigree has been impressive.

There was an excellent article about the Pats incorporating some aspects from Chip Kellys offense at Oregon.

I definitely think he can adapt some of what he does in the pros, but he needs the right QB obviously. I will definitely watch what he does on offense. Nice to see the NFL shaken up a little bit.

Edit: In the article it mentions the Pats had growing pains incorperating the one word no huddle. So if I were a Philly fan I would be patient with the offense. It's going to take some time for the players to get used to it.
so ihop menus probably take too long

BigAT

Here's a question, will the Eagles move to a 3-4 under Kelly? I'm not sure that they really have the personnel to make the transition easily, we were just talking about their undersized DEs.

Talon

Here's a question, will the Eagles move to a 3-4 under Kelly? I'm not sure that they really have the personnel to make the transition easily, we were just talking about their undersized DEs.
They really only ran a 3-4 the last couple years because they wanted to put as much speed on that side of the ball as possible. Don't think it was really a philosophical choice.

mr2xxx

Banned

That be a horrible move. Philly has tons of talent on D but they need to get someone who could utilize the players. I don't understand how coaches get elite players then make them play something they are not used to or good at like namdi.

I definitely agree that it will take awhile for Chip to get things the way he wants to. I am sure fans will be patient at first. The 1st year with Reid the team was bad but people were just so excited for the new coach they were cheering everything.

Edit: No way can the Eagles run a 3-4. They would have to swap out their whole DL. Not one of those guys would fit a 3-4.

effzee

So many questions now

Vick? Foles? Someone else? McNabb?

Who is the OC? DC? Which direction do they go with the #4 pick?

At least something happened and its exciting for now.

Who knows maybe a year from now I am bitching about how terrible he is but for now Reid is gone and Kelly is in. Exciting enough.

This press conference is tomorrow at 1pm. I wonder if he goes into the decision making process and what changed his mind. Word is that Howie kept working him behind the scenes even after he said he wasn't going to leave Oregon.

One other things ESPN pointed out and I found super interesting. Kelly's offense at Oregon ran a play every 20 seconds. The 4 fastest teams in the league were Patriots, Saints, Eagles, and Ravens with Patriots being the fastest at 26 seconds. How does all of this translate to the Eagles now? One of the things I hated with the Reid offense was since it was predicated on passing the ball, there were tons of 3 and outs which very little rest for the defense. How much does Kelly adjust his offense to fit the NFL? How will veterans on the OLINE react to being asked to run that many plays that fast?

I do love the stuff I am reading about how he conducts business and runs practices.

squicken

Scoring defense, mang. #2 San Fran, #5 Atlanta, #9 New England, #12 Baltimore

I think NE and ATL defenses are bolstered by their offenses, but maybe I'm wrong. Teams then are making mistakes by not hiring defensive coaches who can keep scoring down, but I don't think they are

Miguel

How do people follow so many people on twitter. Got damn, like a flood of gibberish

I tend to keep it down to about 150-200 people I follow.

Meanwhile in Arizona...
Tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg
:jnc

Am I doing Houston right?
Made two meals out of it.
No.

Talon

I think NE and ATL defenses are bolstered by their offenses, but maybe I'm wrong. Teams then are making mistakes by not hiring defensive coaches who can keep scoring down, but I don't think they are
Defense has definitely kept us in games when the offense would putter for a quarter. We go from decent and occasionally opportunistic with Abe on the field to shitall when he's off.

What you saw last week in the secondary was a function of the gameplan. We were so damn focused on keeping everything in front of us that there was a gap between the second level and the safeties. Apparently took Russell/Cheatin' Pete a half to figure out that they could just drop back and pass.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
NFL Network just said that Lovie Smith would rather sit out the 2013 season rather than being a D Coordinator. How long do the Bears have to pay him for?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NFL Network just said that Lovie Smith would rather sit out the 2013 season rather than being a D Coordinator. How long do the Bears have to pay him for?

Excellent. Detroit can hire him next year when Schwartz is inevitably canned.

mr2xxx

Banned
So many questions now

Vick? Foles? Someone else? McNabb?

Who is the OC? DC? Which direction do they go with the #4 pick?

At least something happened and its exciting for now.

Who knows maybe a year from now I am bitching about how terrible he is but for now Reid is gone and Kelly is in. Exciting enough.

This press conference is tomorrow at 1pm. I wonder if he goes into the decision making process and what changed his mind. Word is that Howie kept working him behind the scenes even after he said he wasn't going to leave Oregon.

One other things ESPN pointed out and I found super interesting. Kelly's offense at Oregon ran a play every 20 seconds. The 4 fastest teams in the league were Patriots, Saints, Eagles, and Ravens with Patriots being the fastest at 26 seconds. How does all of this translate to the Eagles now? One of the things I hated with the Reid offense was since it was predicated on passing the ball, there were tons of 3 and outs which very little rest for the defense. How much does Kelly adjust his offense to fit the NFL? How will veterans on the OLINE react to being asked to run that many plays that fast?

I do love the stuff I am reading about how he conducts business and runs practices.

He won't slow the tempo down, I dont think there would be a benefit to it. Gotta keep the defense on their toes so they can't sub out, or have time to react. You have so many weapons and ways to use them that defenses will be confused.

squicken

Defense has definitely kept us in games when the offense would putter for a quarter. We go from decent and occasionally opportunistic with Abe on the field to shitall when he's off.

What you saw last week in the secondary was a function of the gameplan. We were so damn focused on keeping everything in front of us that there was a gap between the second level and the safeties. Apparently took Russell/Cheatin' Pete a half to figure out that they could just drop back and pass.

Still amazed at how open all those deep crosses were. Guess those would be open for most teams, but they take awhile to develop, and your rush wasn't getting there

STL blitzed the hell out of Wilson and Kap and really flustered them both. But in the playoffs it's been getting their opponents killed. I will have to rewatch those games this week for FVs thread

STL and NYG are in a similar spot. Going to have to design their defenses around stopping that kind of offense. I think Dallas may break the Colts record for points allowed next year

Eagles fans seem to really like Foles at least on NFL gaf.....

Eagles fans can just admitt the truth that he fucking sucks big time. You guys will be at the same place soon with regards to grand pa Weeden.

I never get guys that supposedly love coaching but are willing to just sit at home and collect a check. Its not like he cant be a DC for a year and then bolt for a HC job if one opens up next year.

Talon

Still amazed at how open all those deep crosses were. Guess those would be open for most teams, but they take awhile to develop, and your rush wasn't getting there

STL blitzed the hell out of Wilson and Kap and really flustered them both. But in the playoffs it's been getting their opponents killed. I will have to rewatch those games this week for FVs thread
Crossing routes are going to get you open. It's a matter of your QB having the time to deliver the ball.

squicken

Rick Gosselin ‏@RickGosselinDMN
Love Chicago's outside-the-box thinking in hiring CFL's Marc Trestman as head coach. All they do is throw the football in Canada.

Guess that's a good point. Poor Bears. Can't even have their own day of the HC news cycle

Top Bottom