• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Conference Championship |OT| My Brother's Kaeper

Talon

Well I like you to even if I dont agree in this case. I dont see ho you can objectively say who will have a better career. Graham got hurt his irst year and rushed back his 2nd before he was ready, but his third year his numbers stack up well for the limited time he played. Anyway the whole point was someone tried to say that picking Graham over JPP was a huge miss and I dont see how that is true at all. Lots of guys start their carers off great and then hit a wall. There is no way to know if JPP will keep up the same level of play for years to come, he already had a down year this year so who knows what the future will hold.
That's fair and all but JPP has a body of work showing that he has the potential to be a double digit sack guy for a time to come. He dealt with injuries this year and seemed slower after gaining extra weight (or at least it seemed that he was heavier to me, Giants-GAF).

Graham hasn't shown anything beyond being a rotation guy.

And this is coming from a guy that admittedly was pretty ecstatic about Graham when he was drafted.
The sad part is, even that was a joke. Tressel covering for petty shit was the real problem, I get it, but lol. So stupid
Meh, the whole policing situation is a joke. Everyone and there mother knew that OSU players were magically driving Escalades in the early 00s, but the NCAA never "found anything." Okay.

Also, I know that softball and soccer players at my school were selling their extra swag (shoes, cleats, etc.), which they aren't supposed to because of "impermissible benefits." NCAA doesn't care to police that crap with a non-revenue sport.

He shouldn't be In charge. It be a fine move if they made him an offensive coordinator with an experienced defensive head coach. But the dude has had multiple shots in the NFL and never panned out. He went into Canada and succeeded and the Bears are assuming its because he got better as a coach instead of being careful and considering the fact that the competition is weaker was a major part.

I'm dismissive of him because in the place he had the most influence, Denver with Plummer, he essentially set the kid back three years. I'm dismissive of him because in 20 years in the NFL he never once got a promotion. I'm dismissive of him because he was banished to a joke pseudo-pro league for almost a decade.

Oh come on...

Trestman has succeeded as a head coach in professional football, which whether or not you want to believe it or acknowledge it, the CFL is. He is respected and players love playing for him and play some of their best football when he is coaching them; case in point his time in Montreal and players like Anthony Calvillo. Just because he may not have been successful in moving to the head coaching position earlier in his career doesn't mean he can't get better at coaching to eventually get to that position. How is someone going to ever succeed if they are never given the chance to? He has shown he can coach an entire team and it seems like the Bears recognize that. He is a really likable guy too; even if his team won against my team in the Grey Cup twice in a row and I was pissed, I could still listen to the guy with no issue and enjoy his interpretation of the football both teams played.

Of course, there should be growing pains as the Bears rebuild their coaching so there is a lot of pressure he will be under, but I think he'll get there. Knowing what he is capable of, I think the Bears are in good hands.

The competition in the CFL is no different than in the NFL. They are both highly competitive leagues with highly skilled players and coaches who need to able to coach players no matter the situation of competitiveness. However, in the CFL, they play a different style game on a different style field that changes how each player has to approach the game. Not all NFL players who come to the CFL go lights out, because it requires a different play style, likewise with CFL to NFL players. Some players are just more cut out for the style of one or the other. To dismiss it as "weaker" is shortsighted and it is refreshing to see the Bears took a look at Trestman and not just dismissed him as a "CFL coach, lololol." Likewise with a "joke pseudo-pro league", which is just ridiculous.

I just like football, so I don't try and compare the leagues like a dick waving contest... I just enjoy the CFL and the NFL and I get a good dose of quality football no matter what league I watch. I hope Trestman works out. At any rate, it'll be funny to watch the reactions of a lot of people when people start to find out. "Who?" "Huh?"

On a different not, I'd be glad to see the Raven's move on. They have played well this season and it would be a nice final hurrah for Lewis.

mr2xxx

Banned
Wouldn't Kelly's offense require a smart, quick decision maker more so than a guy with legs? I mean Brady is a statue and he runs a form of the Kelly spread at NE doesn't he?

He will be in much better offense than Reid's for his skill set. Since it is run focused like wash., Seattle , and SF their is less of an emphasis on his passing. Also the reads are much easier for passing since your first read is open most of the time. I mean their is a reason why so many college QBs and young NFL QBs are having success with it.

Iggles fans, how you feeling?

Mixed. Glad they got a coach, I wish it was Bradley but this is the guy that Lurie had wanted from day 1 and he has a pretty good track record when it comes to hiring coaches. I am so happy that this means no more Foles, but I am very sad that it might mean more Vick. Lots of different emotions today. Sorry Browns age that Banner wasnt able to get Chip since I know you guys wanted him but Chud seems like a good hire.

Nakazato

Yesterday
Everyone at Oregon just got fucked. Congrats Chip.

The should really hold coaches responsible and not allow them to abandon ship when sanctions happen. Like they need to be force to finish out their contracts cause the get out of it so easy.

Talon

The should really hold coaches responsible and not allow them to abandon ship when sanctions happen. Life they need to be force to finish out their contracts cause the get out of it so easy.
Oregon's OC has been the heir apparent for the last two years. Chip made sure of that.
How do people follow so many people on twitter. Got damn, like a flood of gibberish
Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothing comes out when they move their lips; just a bunch of gibberish
And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Dre

yankeehater said:
There is no way to know if JPP will keep up the same level of play for years to come, he already had a down year this year so who knows what the future will hold.
This is a ridiculous misnomer that even blind Giants fans parrot. He had a "down" year if you judge a DE by sack numbers alone. In the game of football though, defensive ends tend to actually do more than that. Go take a look at this QB pressures, disruptions, tackles, etc. Or go watch some actual film and tell me he had a "down" year. Even more so when you take into account Tuck and Osi were invisible.

Talon said:
(or at least it seemed that he was heavier to me, Giants-GAF).
He bulked up to 285, yes. He lost some speed in the process which I'm hoping he regains next season. I think this entire conversation just lights a fire under my ass to put some game tape on and show the impact he had despite not putting up sack numbers. Might make that my first project for the new thread in fact.

Either way, I agree with you. I don't see how anyone can objectively make an argument for Graham here. He's done nothing. I'm not saying he's a miss for the Eagles. He may develop into a quality DE for them as time goes on but as of today in judging their careers I find it laughable for someone to say "yeah I'm not sold on JPP being better" Sorry, you're blind then.

JABEE

Why does everyone think they are keeping Vick? Vick is going to make a ton of money this upcoming season and he was terrible last season when he played. Unless he is willing to take a paycut, I don't think there is room for him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The sad part is, even that was a joke. Tressel covering for petty shit was the real problem, I get it, but lol. So stupid

Firstly. I agree that the NCAA is a total fucking joke.

The thing that got tOSU was the "lack of institutional control". If the NCAA believes that Kelly or the AD was complicit in this recruiting situation, then here comes the loic bs and basically lets the NCAA take a crap on the program to any extent they want.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Oh come on...

Trestman has succeeded as a head coach in professional football, which whether or not you want to believe it or acknowledge it, the CFL is. He is respected and players love playing for him and play some of their best football when he is coaching them; case in point his time in Montreal and players like Anthony Calvillo. Just because he may not have been successful in moving to the head coaching position earlier in his career doesn't mean he can't get better at coaching to eventually get to that position. How is someone going to ever succeed if they are never given the chance to? He has shown he can coach an entire team and it seems like the Bears recognize that. He is a really likable guy too; even if his team won against my team in the Grey Cup twice in a row and I was pissed, I could still listen to the guy with no issue and enjoy his interpretation of the football both teams played.

Of course, there should be growing pains as the Bears rebuild their coaching so there is a lot of pressure he will be under, but I think he'll get there. Knowing what he is capable of, I think the Bears are in good hands.

The competition in the CFL is no different than in the NFL. They are both highly competitive leagues with highly skilled players. However, in the CFL, they play a different style game on a different style field that changes how each player has to approach the game. Not all NFL players who come to the CFL go lights out, because it requires a different play style, likewise with CFL to NFL players. Some players are just more cut out for the style of one or the other. To dismiss it as "weaker" is shortsighted and I am glad the Bears didn't look at it like that. It is refreshing to see the Bears take a look at Trestman and not just dismiss him as a "CFL coach, lololol." Likewise with a "joke pseudo-pro league", which is just ridiculous.

I just like football, so I don't try and compare the leagues like a dick waving contest... I just enjoy the CFL and the NFL and I get a good dose of quality football no matter what league I watch. I hope Trestman works out. At any rate, it'll be funny to watch the reactions of a lot of people when people start to find out. "Who?" "Huh?"

Typically talent follows the money. Being the best coach of the CFL, money wise, is vastly inferior to being the best coach in college football. Because if you're making 500k a year in the CFL and you're a great coach, why wouldn't you make the jump to a mid tier NCAA school making at least a million?

So in other words, if he was really that great, why did he end up in the CFL to begin with?

Talon

DAMMIT TALON.

DAMMIT!!
What! What? What did I do?!
I really wish you had started with this so I didn't need to read the rest.
My prediction for the 2013 Chicago Bears season:
Team starts over .500 in the first half. Bears fans start demanding that everyone eats crow on Trestman.
Team collapses yet again in November and December. Bears fans start demanding the head of Cutler.

Mixed. Glad they got a coach, I wish it was Bradley but this is the guy that Lurie had wanted from day 1 and he has a pretty good track record when it comes to hiring coaches. I am so happy that this means no more Foles, but I am very sad that it might mean more Vick. Lots of different emotions today. Sorry Browns age that Banner wasnt able to get Chip since I know you guys wanted him but Chud seems like a good hire.
No need for sorrys, I could Care less about this. I'm happy with Chud and what he can bring to the table for us. I think Browns were more interested in the read option and Chud can do that. I would be more worried about the Chud because he turned down originally offers and was just recruiting a few days ago

Mrbob

Typically talent follows the money. Being the best coach of the CFL, money wise, is vastly inferior to being the best coach in college football. Because if you're making 500k a year in the CFL and you're a great coach, why wouldn't you make the jump to a mid tier NCAA school making at least a million?

So in other words, if he was really that great, why did he end up in the CFL to begin with?

He is following the path of Marv Levy.

Four straight NFC titles confirmed.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What! What? What did I do?!

My prediction for the 2013 Chicago Bears season:
Team starts over .500 in the first half. Bears fans start demanding that everyone eats crow on Trestman.
Team collapses yet again in November and December. Bears fans start making excuses for Cutler.

Fixed.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yankeehater: it's not just about Graham, it's about trading up to two spots in front of the Giants and taking Graham. You traded there with your first and 2 3rd rounders.

We all know the best DE from that draft was Carlos Dunlap anyway.

Why does everyone think they are keeping Vick? Vick is going to make a ton of money this upcoming season and he was terrible last season when he played. Unless he is willing to take a paycut, I don't think there is room for him.

There were several reports that Chip likes the idea of Vick running the offense and that Lurie assured him that they would be willing to pay Vick to keep him if Chip wanted him. I definitely think they will keep Vick now, the only question is if there is a young QB that Chip likes in thi draft, or do they wait until next year to address the QB situation.

Do any of the people that follow college football a lot think their is a QB in this draft that could run Chip's offense in the pros?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No need for sorrys, I could Care less about this. I'm happy with Chud and what he can bring to the table for us. I think Browns were more interested in the read option and Chud can do that. I would be more worried about the Chud because he turned down originally offers and was just recruiting a few days ago

Chud can run the read option? Good, because I'm damn sure that aarp can't.

There were several reports that Chip likes the idea of Vick running the offense and that Lurie assured him that they would be willing to pay Vick to keep him if Chip wanted him. I definitely think they will keep Vick now, the only question is if there is a young QB that Chip likes in thi draft, or do they wait until next year to address the QB situation.

Do any of the people that follow college football a lot think their is a QB in this draft that could run Chip's offense in the pros?

Geno. He's black.

eznark

Banned
Our good friend Chris Kluwe knows my current pain:

Chris Kluwe @ChrisWarcraft
This is what toddlers do to you. I'm humming the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme, and replacing the words with "Pukey Mouth Vomit House".

jakncoke

Banned
Death penalty

Penn St didnt get one after covering up child rape, there is no way Oregon gets it. If they do that will be the dumbest shit ever and NCAA should be over thrown. In fact if any school ever gets a death penalty again NCAA should be over thrown.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Josh Sitton at least keeping it real:

That's why I like him. No need to beat around the bush. We got wrekt and all we can do from here is try to build up the defense. We have the offense but our defense is trash. I expect a lot of defense picks come Draft time.

Talon

He bulked up to 285, yes. He lost some speed in the process which I'm hoping he regains next season. I think this entire conversation just lights a fire under my ass to put some game tape on and show the impact he had despite not putting up sack numbers. Might make that my first project for the new thread in fact.

Either way, I agree with you. I don't see how anyone can objectively make an argument for Graham here. He's done nothing. I'm not saying he's a miss for the Eagles. He may develop into a quality DE for them as time goes on but as of today in judging their careers I find it laughable for someone to say "yeah I'm not sold on JPP being better" Sorry, you're blind then.
Jesus, he gained that much weight? He was probably at 270 or so in 2011, right? Seems pretty nuts to put on 15 pounds when the strongest aspect of your game is sheer speed and agility.

Anyways, you sit down and pick a young DE to add to your team, and JPP is in the top five of that list. Brandon Graham isn't even mentioned.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's why I like him. No need to beat around the bush. We got wrekt and all we can do from here is try to build up the defense. We have the offense but our defense is trash. I expect a lot of defense picks come Draft time.

You mean like the last draft? Can't keep focusing on one side of the ball...I expect it to be 50/50 this year.

jakncoke

Banned

The should really hold coaches responsible and not allow them to abandon ship when sanctions happen. Like they need to be force to finish out their contracts cause the get out of it so easy.

Or if they abandon ship in the midst of sanction have them banned from college coaching for X amount of years depending on severity of what they did.

Yankeehater: it's not just about Graham, it's about trading up to two spots in front of the Giants and taking Graham. You traded there with your first and 2 3rd rounders.

We all know the best DE from that draft was Carlos Dunlap anyway.

Oh I am 100% with you on the idea that trading up and giving up a lot sucked. I would have much rather had them wait and see if either Graham or Thomas fell to them.

Getting so upset you're typing random characters? Yeah you're a Philly fan!

You cant be serious with this. I know you post a lot of ridiculous nonsense but this is really pushing it. the ; and the ' are right next to each other. It had nothing to do with being upset with Frank, which I am not at all.

brentech

For the sake of Dom Capers, I sure hope so.

People in the NFL will spend some time studying it and developing a couple schemes, but teams (likely the Packers) will still get mauled by it. Eventually it will come back down to just athletic QBs like Russel that make shit happen on the fly and can still pass the ball that we have to worry about.

You mean like the last draft? Can't keep focusing on one side of the ball...I expect it to be 50/50 this year.

Yep. I don't think it will be anything like last year.

mr2xxx

Banned
Oh come on...

The competition in the CFL is no different than in the NFL. They are both highly competitive leagues with highly skilled players and coaches who need to able to coach players no matter the situation of competitiveness. However, in the CFL, they play a different style game on a different style field that changes how each player has to approach the game. Not all NFL players who come to the CFL go lights out, because it requires a different play style, likewise with CFL to NFL players. Some players are just more cut out for the style of one or the other. To dismiss it as "weaker" is shortsighted and I am glad the Bears didn't look at it like that. It is refreshing to see the Bears take a look at Trestman and not just dismiss him as a "CFL coach, lololol." Likewise with a "joke pseudo-pro league", which is just ridiculous.

Like you said CFL and NFL are two diffirent beasts, success in one doesn't matter to the other. He failed in the NFl at lowee positions but now he is supposed to be a head coach? The problem is that head coach is very diffirent in the NFl than the CFL. Things like preparing for the draft, dealing with much bigger egos, more pressure from fans and media, and dealing with various coaches he hasn't worked with since I doubt they will let him bring his whole staff. If he is a offensive genius then let him be a coordinator and prove himself and have less pressure. My team hired a QB coach as a head coach and surprisingly he was a complete failure, he couldn't call plays, players didn't respect him, owner and GM had complete control over him. It was a mess and I hope the bears don't go through that.

Some might want a change, some might just want to try out something different, some might change places because it works better for their family. Yeah, talent follows the money but not necessarily all the time.

Time and evolution of skill are a big thing. He was given a shot in the CFL as a head coach and as a result he built his skill up and became better at coaching. He has now moved on from the team... he had a pretty high time in Montreal after winning two Grey Cup's back to back. The team had a few losing seasons and now he is getting a shot at head coaching the Bears. Times change and so do people. Opportunities open up and if someone comes calling, you try to answer it.

Like you said CFL and NFL are two diffirent beasts, success in one doesn't matter to the other. He failed in the NFl at lowee positions but now he is supposed to be a head coach? The problem is that head coach is very diffirent in the NFl than the CFL. Things like preparing for the draft, dealing with much bigger egos, more pressure from fans and media, and dealing with various coaches he hasn't worked with since I doubt they will let him bring his whole staff. If he is a offensive genius then let him be a coordinator and prove himself and have less pressure. My team hired a QB coach as a head coach and surprisingly he was a complete failure, he couldn't call plays, players didn't respect him, owner and GM had complete control over him. It was a mess and I hope the bears don't go through that.

A head coach still has many of those responsibilities in the CFL... the pressure is very much the same, just in a different country. Yeah, they are different beasts, which was my point. Sure, you can say that success in one doesn't matter in the other, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be a head coach in the NFL or given the shot. If they are different beasts, why can't he be given the opportunity to coach the Bears? The Bears have a successful coach with a proven track record and that is better than most.

We may have to agree to disagree. All I am saying is give the guy and chance and don't just dismiss because he was a CFL Head Coach.

Talon said:
Jesus, he gained that much weight?
He came into camp at 290, yeah. Sheer muscle as the Giants wanted to bulk him up. I honestly think we'll see him move back down to 270-275 in 2013, though. With Osi gone, he'll take more snaps at his natural right end position as well. He's moved all over the place (plays a good bit of DT and if you want to see how disruptive he is in that regard go take a look at the Dallas game tape in the first game of the season) but I think he's at his best when he's at right end.

Jesus, he gained that much weight? He was probably at 270 or so in 2011, right? Seems pretty nuts to put on 15 pounds when the strongest aspect of your game is sheer speed and agility.

Anyways, you sit down and pick a young DE to add to your team, and JPP is in the top five of that list. Brandon Graham isn't even mentioned.

Of course he wouldnt be mentioned, he has hardly played at all so far. Do you think the list you would make today would look the same at the list 5 or 10 years from now? Things can change in a hurry in the NFL.

I'm glad Emery pulled the trigger on hiring Trestman. Steve Young, Rich Gannon and Trestman's own article about Bill Walsh sold me on him. It's a really bold hire. If it doesn't work out, Emery probably won't get a chance to select Trestman's successor. I'm excited about seeing the offense he cooks up. Whatever the results, it's got to be better than the knuckle-dragging bullshit Meathead put together, right?

Talon

Meanwhile in Arizona...
Tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg

This fucking sucks. Now I have to throw away all that brilliant material I came up with when it looked like Brian Billick might get the job.

Top Bottom