• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

K-19

Banned
Goddammit....I was riding my bike home yesterday and I got hit by some stupid fuck in a car. My face is all kinds of fucked up and everything hurts. The first real NFL day is totally ruined.

I feel like such shit. My god....

Sorry man, stay strong, don't let bad feelings fill your heart. Sunday Football man, everybody is with you!!

1 week avatar bet?

knapp01.png

RBH

As the NFL launches the first Sunday of the regular season, the television signal for the home team’s game will be blocked in only one market.

Tampa.

The Panthers-Bucs game will be the only blackout this weekend, with sellouts (i.e., all non-premium seats sold at least 72 hours before kickoff) everywhere else.

Of course, sellouts should be expected in Week One. And it was believed for months that the Bucs would be able to reach the minimum number, especially since the team decided to take full advantage of the new 85-percent minimum and the Bucs slashed prices on concessions (50% off) and some parking and Cam Newton is coming to town and, you know, it’s Week One.

Two of the other cities taking advantage of the new rule — the Raiders (85 percent) and the Vikings (90 percent) — are hosting games, and managed to sell the minimum number of tickets. The Dolphins also dropped the number to 85 percent but they are on the road on Sunday, at Houston.
c4s_freeman121509_98586c.jpg

"Who cares about the blackout, tell me more about these half-price concessions!"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Filthy proletarians. Buy our overpriced tickets, 12 dollar beers and fight parking for an hour each way or we shall remove the very waves that flow through your air! Let them watch soccer!!!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Filthy proletarians. Buy our overpriced tickets, 12 dollar beers and fight parking for an hour each way or we shall remove the very waves that flow through your air! Let them watch soccer!!!!

This. The blackout rule is absolutely ridiculous. Time to get rid of this archaic method of trying to force people to buy tickets to watch terrible teams play.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
ahhh yea, game day. GF and I watched the Giants 2011 America's game last night. so hyped.

TheFatOne

I don't know why, but I feel like the Patriots will lose today. I'm excited to see the Pats rookies in a real game for once, and I want to see what how Ras-i/McCourty look.

Milchjon

I don't know why, but I feel like the Patriots will lose today. I'm excited to see the Pats rookies in a real game for once, and I want to see what how Ras-i/McCourty look.

I'd be concerned if you weren't pessimistic ;-)

But we'll see. I'm a pessimist too, but it's still the Titans.

Tamanon

Banned
Football guys.

Football.

Jaguars take the field at 1!

And man, the Luck hype continues on the Colts, makes me hope he fails, especially against us.

MickeyPhree

Oh man, three hours till the beginning of a 4-12 season! Go DOLPHINS!

At least I can watch the Falcons having just moved to GA a few months back.

RBH

Texans running back Arian Foster is expected to play on Sunday against the visiting Miami Dolphins, though Houston wants to test him in pregame warm-ups first, sources told ESPN NFL Adam Schefter.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Friday it would be a game-time decision whether Foster would play after he injured his knee in practice Thursday.
The Seahawks expect running back Marshawn Lynch to play against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, though Seattle will be mindful of the workload it gives him due to the back spasms that limited him in practice this week.

He was officially listed as questionable Friday on the team's injury report.

Rookie Robert Turbin would get the start at running back if Lynch can't play.

Bowser

Just placed a couple of bets on the Panthers...let's hope they make me some money!

Season-long bets though, not game bets.

brentech

I'm ready. I have Red Zone this year, so yay.

My cable company ripped it out from under last year during December after having it for 2 years. Was suddenly getting 'not authorized' message on the screen. Have to contact them for like the 3rd time today hoping they'll turn that shit back on, fuckers.

Speaking of bets...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...t-with-boyz-ii-men?module=HP11_content_stream
Aaron Rodgers could be wearing a San Francisco 49ers jersey next week.

Before Green Bay Packers fans choke on their pre-kickoff bratwurst, let's clarify Rodgers is going nowhere. But according to a report by TMZ, Rodgers has agreed to wear an Alex Smith jersey for a week if the Packers lose their season opener to the Niners on Sunday.

Apparently -- and this is where the story really gets weird -- Rodgers is friends with the guys from seminal R&B group Boyz II Men. He asked them to perform the national anthem at Lambeau on Sunday, to which the group agreed on the stipulation involving the Smith jersey.

A few things here:

1) Rodgers is clearly confident about the Packers' chances to agree to these terms.

2) If the Packers lost, Rodgers almost assuredly has to welch on the bet. It's unclear if Mike McCarthy displays tangible human emotion, but Rodgers wearing red and gold in a team meeting won't sit well.

3) Wait ... Aaron Rodgers is friends with Boyz II Men? What were the circumstances that brought them together? Does this explain Tom Brady's private lunches with the dudes from All-4-One? It's possible.
Anyway, TMZ reports a rep for the band confirmed the deal is in place. This obviously becomes the most compelling storyline of Week 1.

Milchjon

To pass the time, here's an older piece on our resident hero:

Kluwe freely admits he wasn't exactly a dedicated student in school, but yet he recorded a perfect score on the verbal portion of the SAT without studying for the college admissions test and was recruited hard by Harvard and Dartmouth.

A talented violin player as a child, he learned to play bass guitar a few years ago after mastering the video game "Guitar Hero."

Kluwe's father is a chemical engineer, and his mother is the head of anesthesiology at a hospital in his hometown of Los Alamitos, Calif. His grandmother Lucy Woodward was an aerospace engineer and adventurer who climbed mountains all over the world, including Kilimanjaro at age 73. Woodward, who died in 2007, took Chris to Antarctica when he was 11.

(Damn, this lady is fucking cool)

Kluwe seems equally adept at discussing Alvin as he is at Aristotle. Perhaps that's a byproduct of his love of books. His mother said he would take a John Grisham book to school and be finished by the time he got home.

"He can read a book in about 25 minutes," Murphy said. "The first time I saw him do it, I thought he was joking."

Said Loeffler: "It's really incredible how fast he reads. We'll go on a road [game] and he'll pick up three or four books that are like 300 to 500 pages each and he'll finish them all before we get back. When he's flipping through the pages, you're like, 'There's no way you're reading that book,' but he is."

I feel inadequate now.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The day is finally here. Have to work all day but we have the NFL package so I can most likely watch every Viking game this year on the smaller tv.

Top Bottom