• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

From-a-cloud-above-Al-Davis-probably-likes-what-hes-seeing.-USP.jpg

... I want an explanation Rors.

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG - Romo has lead in 4Q but throws two picks late

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI - Two of the goofiest looking QBs in the NFL duel it out
ATL at KC - Ryan struggles to rebound from a 2 point playoff disaster
PHI at CLE - It's the Browns
WAS at NO - Brees needs evidence that RG3 is legit; doesn't find it here
STL at DET - It's the Rams
NE at TEN - Upset special
JAC at MIN - The only game that won't be televised by Sunday NFL Ticket (because no one will care)
BUF at NYJ - Rex puts in Teblow late in the game but the magic is gone
MIA at HOU - Texans remain undefeated vs. the Fins
SEA at ARI - Will the team with a real QB please stand up
SF at GB - Harbs can't shake his way out of this one
CAR at TB - Cam >>>>> Freeman
PIT at DEN - Revenge

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL - Ravens go 0-16
SD at OAK - Palmer throws 4 picks, Rivers throws 3. SD wins by a FG. GAF explodes while watching MNF due to the hilarity of how poorly the game is both played and officiated.

Doorman

As a Michigan fan here, I would just like to say:

:(

As far as the pros go, I'm glad we have the Rams in week 1 as our tune-up game before going to San Fran. It'll be nice to repeat the undefeated Lions vs. undefeated Niners matchup in week two.

Rorschach

Do zombies ever die? I always thought the story of his death was just a front to cover up the fact that he is a brain eating monster.

I heard a head shot does it, but long ago, Al had his brain transferred to an unnamed part of his body. Rumor has it, anyway. That kid will be his next vessel.

As a Michigan fan here, I would just like to say:

:(

As far as the pros go, I'm glad we have the Rams in week 1 as our tune-up game before going to San Fran. It'll be nice to repeat the undefeated Lions vs. undefeated Niners matchup in week two.

Look at it this way,today you played an NFL team

When you play the Rams,you'll play a college team.

Doorman

Playcalling was Shottenheimer-esque.

But instead of quick slants it was runs to the outside.

Sadly, the playcalling was more Michigan-esque of late. Ineffective running of Denard when it's intentional, slightly better when improvised, and a bunch of really shitty gamble throws. This is some vintage 2010 shit right here.

kingslunk

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

Sadly, the playcalling was more Michigan-esque of late. Ineffective running of Denard when it's intentional, slightly better when improvised, and a bunch of really shitty gamble throws. This is some vintage 2010 shit right here.
It's a big slam against Denard's confidence but I don't know why they didn't put the white dude into the game for a series (especially after the injuries).

Teddman

Posted this in the fantasy thread, but also wanted to see if the NFL fans here had an opinion...

Would you trade Aaron Rodgers for Drew Brees and Rashad Jennings?

I have MJD, so obviously Jennings would be good insurance if his holdout continues, but is it worth downgrading from Rodgers to Brees at QB?

Here's my roster, thanks for any advice!

2xIaw.jpg

I don't view Rodgers to Brees as a massive drop, and there's plenty of upside with Rashad Jennings. He's going to be used in the same way Mojo was: 20+ carries, all the goalline work.

Make the trade w/ confidence.

Posted this in the fantasy thread, but also wanted to see if the NFL fans here had an opinion...

I have MJD, so obviously Jennings would be good insurance if his holdout continues, but is it worth downgrading from Rodgers to Brees at QB?

Here's my roster, thanks for any advice!

2xIaw.jpg

Pretty god damn funny you think brees is a downgrade from rodgers.

AZ Greg

Best time of the year!

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

Teddman

Pretty god damn funny you think brees is a downgrade from rodgers.
Really? If that's the prevailing wisdom, then cool... Lots of fantasy forecasts consider Brees more dubious this year because of all the sanctions/suspensions on New Orleans due to the defense scandal, loss of Meachem at WR, loss of Sean Payton as play calling guru, loss of Carl Nicks at guard, etc.

On the other hand, Rodgers has pretty much the same situation he lit up the league with last season...

cajunator

Banned
Really? If that's the prevailing wisdom, then cool... Lots of fantasy forecasts consider Brees more dubious this year because of all the sanctions/suspensions on New Orleans due to the defense scandal, loss of Meachem at WR, loss of Sean Payton as play calling guru, loss of Carl Nicks at guard, etc.

On the other hand, Rodgers has pretty much the same situation he lit up the league with last season...

Wont be much change.
Brees cant control what the defense does, but Spags will produce a more fundamental defense. Meachem was great but the Saints have options that can replace him, plus Devery is still a speedy route runner, and Arrington and Joe Morgan can step in if needed. Colston and moore are his primary targets along with Graham and they are all healthy. Payton will be a big loss, but Pete Carmichael did an excellent job last year when Payton was off the field with a knee injury, and Aaron Kromer also knows the offense very well. Carl Nicks was replaced by Ben Grubbs, and the difference is very minimal. In short, Brees should be about as good as he was last season. The running game might be even better this season so he will have less pressure to carry the game on his own. I think you would be fine to make this trade.

1) The defense may be worse, but that's GOOD. You want the Saints to go Tecmo Bowl more often.
2) No Meachem? Boohoo. Colston/Moore/Sproles/Henderson/Morgan. Not to mention that other rookie they have at WR.
3) Drew Brees isn't a moron, he knows how to run an O and last time I checked, they have a decent OC to read the same playbook. The only thing they really lost is Peyton's ability to (at times) be too cute for his own good and his douchbag nature to run up the score at times.
4) Use a RB to chip.

Teddman

OK, maybe Brees will hang with Rodgers. Any insight on MJD vs. Rashad Jennings? Do you think MJD will surrender carries to him whether he returns or not?

cajunator

Banned
The Saints are in a lot better position to weather this situation than people might think.
The circumstances of recent years have made the team very adaptable to change. I'm actually surprised by how well they handled the situation but what matters is how it translates to the field. But so far it looks like business as usual. The front office doesn't let someone walk if they dont have a solid backup plan, such as when Reggie left and they got Sproles, and when Carl Nicks left they got the next best player in Grubbs. The only position where plans have somewhat fallen through is at linebacker with all the preseason injuries, but Vitt/Kromer have said if it was regular season, Hawthorne and Lofton would play.

OK, maybe Brees will hang with Rodgers. Any insight on MJD vs. Rashad Jennings? Do you think MJD will surrender carries to him whether he returns or not?
It's all about missing game checks, and this new owner ain't fucking around. He's willing to let MJD sit the whole year, and Mojo has 0 leverage. He had a very lucrative frontloaded deal, the Jags can he as bad with him as without him, and of yeah did I mention Rashad Jennings looks damn good?

Even if MJD does come back Week 3 (yeah right), Jennings will keep the job for a few game after, then it's timeshare time.

Back to the football that matters again. No need for bounties this year, kick your ass for free.

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG - because fuck the cowboys

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI - another year, another Poutface beatdown
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO - defense needs to really bone up. also the quick transition to the name "spags" puts me off for some reason
STL at DET
NE at TEN - upset special, Brady on his way out. Plus scab refs cut tammy no slack
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU - it's only morbid curiosity that wants me to see the texans in the playoffs again
SEA at ARI
SF at GB - i was so close to putting my upset special here
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN - it'll take more than an EOL QB to get the broncos back from the dregs

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK - hrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

at the end of the day though, crappy officiating will render all these picks meaningless

Cloudy

Banned

I think you have to make that deal. Brees is not that much of a downgrade and your RB situation is terrible. MJD probably won't start for a week or 2 if he even ends his holdout.

Also, see if you can get Ronnie Brown. He will start for SD in week 1

minx

Pretty hilarious that people are seriously choosing Colts over Bears. That Cutler hate is strong with some.

Rodgers runs and throws less interceptions and his coach isn't in the clink.

He'll certainly will be the better fantasy player if his peanut shell brain holds up.

cajunator

Banned
Rodgers is a bit taller/more athletic than Brees is, but he's not significantly better.
Brees does seem to be a bit more careless with the ball though ,especially because he sometimes tries to fit passes into impossibly small windows. He has a ton of options on offense though, so these situations should be pretty rare. Brees is pretty good at eluding the sack and he can shake defenders as well as anybody when he absolutely has to.

RBH

DM welcome to the MBA family!

I have the same computer. My favorite laptop ever.

I returned it and got a 64GB iPad instead.

Hogan-Turn-400x300.jpg

It was a great laptop though, but I just wanted something that was even more mobile than a Macbook Air right now.

When I go hunting for a laptop again, it's going to be a Macbook Air.

MacBook Airs are boss as fuck. Best purchase I've made in a while. Welcome, DM.

ibr1NAkIHA9Cju.gif

edit: Fuck you DM! MEGA POWERS EXPLODE!

I always knew you were jealous, Scooter. I could tell by THOSE EYES! THOSE EYES, RIGHT THERE.

06_Heartbreakers.jpg

I loved this sequence of posts. :lol

eznark

Banned
I cannot believe how much Dota I have watched this weekend. Fucking watching video games. I'm such a giant nerd.

motherfuck i forgot the other gaf FF draft was tomorrow and i wont be around. bullshit!

p.s.

49ers sign ex-cardinal and steeler reject clark hagans. he'll definitely help us win in week 1, i can't wait

Rorschach

motherfuck i forgot the other gaf FF draft was tomorrow and i wont be around. bullshit!

p.s.

49ers sign ex-cardinal and steeler reject clark hagans. he'll definitely help us win in week 1, i can't wait

Set your 9er based picks in advance, jerk! Or is it the dcx one? you can miss that one if you want. :smug

minx

Bears defense is ancient and injured and Cutler is Cutler.

I wouldn't say either team has a definitive advantage.

Oh Buckethead. Willing to bet on the game since no team has an advantage? Didn't think so.

Anyways. Jeffrey has looked great so far, but it begins....

@BradBriggs
Not sure what to make of this. #Bears list WR Alshon Jeffery on official Web site at 6-4, 229. All summer he's been 6-3, 216.

Top Bottom