• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

1.) You shouldn't read into a defensive tackles statline like you would a MLB. Suh's job, or any DT's is to create opportunities for the rest of the defense.

2.) I'll admit Suh had his weakest game of the year against the 49ers. That was due to the 49ers running a ton of draw plays with Frank Gore, and quick slant passes with Alex Smith. It was a hell of a game and the first time the Lions had faced a playbook like that. They will be ready this time I can guarantee you.

Gunther Cunnigham our DC, is changing our defensive playbook a bit to give Suh more snaps at defensive end. And the 4 man rush had our DE's lined up way on the outside making us more vunerable to draw plays. That will be cut down this year.

i dont need to read into anything. i watched the entire game and remember it very well. suh's game was much, much worse than even that statline could indicate

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
i dont need to read into anything. i watched the entire game and remember it very well. suh's game was much, much worse than even that statline could indicate

I watched the game as the only Lion fan in a bar full of 49er fans in SoCal. It was a great game but just because a defensive tackle doesn't post 10 tackles and 2 sacks doesn't mean he was ineffective.

It was Suh's weakest game of the year I'll admit, but he will be going into the Sunday night game with a chip on his shoulder, and that should scare the shit out of Alexis.

Future is bright in Detroit with a core that includes Matthew Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Titus Young, Brandon Pettigrew etc. etc. Your one hit wonder team has Alex Smith as the starting QB.

I watched the game as the only Lion fan in a bar full of 49er fans in SoCal. It was a great game but just because a defensive tackle doesn't post 10 tackles and 2 sacks doesn't mean he was ineffective.

It was Suh's weakest game of the year I'll admit, but he will be going into the Sunday night game with a chip on his shoulder, and that should scare the shit out of Alexis.

Future is bright in Detroit with a core that includes Matthew Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Titus Young, Brandon Pettigrew etc. etc. Your one hit wonder team has Alex Smith as the starting QB.

i'm telling you it doesn't matter what his statline said. me saying he had a shitty game isn't me looking at his boxscore. he is too aggressive and the 49ers used it against him. the vast majority of our running yards came to his side RUNNING RIGHT AT HIM. he is so intent on "getting to the QB" that he doesn't bother to play the run.

suh maybe the biggest and strongest guy in the history of planet earth, but if he has poor awareness when it comes to playing the defensive line and run vs. pass then what's the point?

oh, and remember there was a time where the buccaneers had a "bright future" and look at them now. that is where the lions are headed

p.s. if the niners go 0-2 oh well. then we can fire harbs and hire brian billick at long last

Lions D is trash anyway. You can talk about Suh all you want but there's no denying (unless you're Kastrioti) that the defense as a whole is overrated beyond belief. I'd know about shitty D after watching ours for a year.

Speaking of, the Packers are so blessed to be facing the 9ers Week 1. There's no better way to boost your confidence after a down year than beating up on smallhands to start the season. In fact I'm pretty sure ol' Don Capers has been prepping the D as if it was another pre-season game so it'll give all of our rookies another week to get ready for legitimate competition.

Our run D looked like dogshit against the Chefs last week, I wouldn't be talking smack quite yet.

Then again that was the Packups.

Still, we will win, no doubt. Fat Mike is 5-1 on opening day.

Our run D looked like dogshit against the Chefs last week, I wouldn't be talking smack quite yet.

Then again that was the Packups.

Still, we will win, no doubt. Fat Mike is 5-1 on opening day.

What's the fun in that?

And as FMT has said on multiple occasions we have nothing to worry about in the run game anyway since Gore is a shell of his former self. A 9ers win will have to rest in the hands of Alexander Douglas Smith

alex-smith-caddy.jpg%3Fw%3D362%26h%3D490

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lions D is trash anyway. You can talk about Suh all you want but there's no denying (unless you're Kastrioti) that the defense as a whole is overrated beyond belief. I'd know about shitty D after watching ours for a year.

Speaking of, the Packers are so blessed to be facing the 9ers Week 1. There's no better way to boost your confidence after a down year than beating up on smallhands to start the season. In fact I'm pretty sure ol' Don Capers has been prepping the D as if it was another pre-season game so it'll give all of our rookies another week to get ready for legitimate competition.

"Overrated?" The secondary is probably the worst in the league.

eznark

Banned
God damn I love when Kastroti starts spouting complete and utter jibberish about the shit house Lions and the most overrated player in football in the last decade.

He is right about teams gameplanning around the Lions though. The best gameplan is to rest your starters and let your backups set scoring records against them.

jakncoke

Banned
the season is new and mostly everyone has hope, cant wait till week 5-6 when that's all changed and the picture starts to become clear on who will contend, who is pretending.

squicken

cant wait till week 5-6 when that's all changed and the picture starts to become clear on who will contend, who is pretending.

lol lots of people know their team sucks ass. I just read the NYT's Rams preview and three of the starters he had penciled in were cut in the past few days.

Doorman

As far as Suh goes, there was a call to local sports radio a week or two ago that I think puts it best: this year is the rubber-match for him. When he first came in as a rookie, he made a ton of waves, got a lot of people's hopes and expectations pumped up, and looked like the dominant DT we hoped to see for years to come. Last year though, he...well, sucked, for a number of reasons.

There's still a lot stacked against him this year. The blueprint's been laid out several times now for how to limit his effectiveness, and between his rep for cheap hits growing and the league in general getting more and more antsy about hits to the quarterback (his specialty), he has a lot of hills to climb and adjustments to make to his game. If he really is the best-in-a-generation type of player that Kast believes him to be, then he'll make the modifications to the way he plays and step up his impact this year. For me, the jury's still out. He still doesn't strike me as the best decision-maker, on or off the field.

That said, there is more to the Lions than just Suh, but a lot of them still have growing up to do before they can take that next big step forward.

brentech

I don't think you can have such a bad year and consider yourself the best in a generation otherwise I can agree with that outlook. He's young and has time to look over last year.
He just doesn't play with football intelligence or intelligence at all, so he's completely out of the greatest discussion, for any time period.

squicken

I think the league outlawed the wham plays, which is what the 49ers killed him with last year. Should help him not having to worry about TEs and WR cracking on him

squicken

Did they really eliminate that?

"This week, the NFL expanded the concept of a defenseless player to include defenders. Now the crack-back block by an offensive player lined up more than 2 yards laterally outside the tackle can't crack back on a defenseless defender in the head or neck area as described above. The same goes for a blocker in the backfield at the snap of the ball who after the snap moves more than 2 yards laterally outside of a tackle. "

Guess remembered it wrong. Just can't go high, but since Hines is retired, I guess it's not an issue

Chiefs must get the money

The Houston Oilers won the first two AFL championships. So the shirt is wrong b/c it was the wrong franchise, wrong name, and wrong championship. Got the city and year right, though

AndresON777

shooting blanks
"This week, the NFL expanded the concept of a defenseless player to include defenders. Now the crack-back block by an offensive player lined up more than 2 yards laterally outside the tackle can't crack back on a defenseless defender in the head or neck area as described above. The same goes for a blocker in the backfield at the snap of the ball who after the snap moves more than 2 yards laterally outside of a tackle. "

Guess remembered it wrong. Just can't go high, but since Hines is retired, I guess it's not an issue

pac10 coaches cheating? are we surprised?

Fox318

The Houston Oilers won the first two AFL championships. So the shirt is wrong b/c it was the wrong franchise, wrong name, and wrong championship. Got the city and year right, though
What the hell

Vyer

No respectable Texans fan would wear that thing.

Also, I just saw Jerry Jones rapping on my computer. Gif potential off the charts.

Madtown_

That's a great OP, Buckethead. Nice. NFC North was the best.

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN a true toss up with Ponder and Gabbert
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

squicken

Finally watched a bit of the USC game. The thing about Barkley is, even though the Rams need a QB, if I could draft one guy on that team, it would be Marqise Lee. I kind of think Barkely is a good QB who is in perhaps the best situation any college QB has ever been in terms of surrounding talent

Top Bottom