• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

RBH

The 49ers won the NFC West last year and are favored to win it again this year, but Cardinals quarterback John Skelton has other ideas.

Skelton said on the Dan Patrick Show that his expectations are high, and he expects to be hosting a playoff game in January.

“As long as we come out and we start fast — last year we kind of put ourselves in a hole, starting 1-6 — but if we come out fast, we win the games we know we need to win, we do well in our division, there’s no reason we can’t win the division, knock the Niners off and make it into the playoffs,” Skelton said.

Yeah I didn't like that one, it was too lazy in my opinion. Now Black Leinart... truly the guy put work in for it.

lienartcornrows.jpg

yankeehater said:
No one has even called them a dream tea this year, that is about as under the radar as it gets.
I......ok.

Under the radar could be a team like the Seahawks who don't have any expectations to win the West but have an interesting new QB, a solid running game and a decent defense. Most don't believe they'll do shit but there is glimmer is hope in some circles that see them as a possible sleeper.

The Eagles had a down year but have been competitive a long time and regardless of anyone saying "dream team" or not you have the likes of Brian Billick putting them #1 on his power ranking and MANY people have chosen them to win the East this year. If they make it to the playoffs, very few would be surprised.

You and I have very different definitions of under the radar.

I......ok.

Under the radar are the Seahawks who don't have any expectations to win the West but have a fun new QB and a decent defense. No one believes they'll do shit but some see them as possible sleepers. The Eagles had a down year but have been competitive a long time and regardless of anyone saying "dream team" or not you have the likes of Brian Billick putting them #1 on his power ranking and MANY people have chosen them to win the East this year.

You and I have very different definitions of under the radar.

I was just kidding. I should have put a smiley face or something I guess. Even when they are bad the Eagles are never quite or under the radar. None of the big media market teams are.

yankeehater said:
I was just kidding. I should have put a smiley face or something I guess. Even when they are bad the Eagles are never quite or under the radar. None of the big media market teams are.
Well see....damn me and my inability to read text based sarcasm!:D

Griegite

still a junior

At least you're not a Skins fan. It seems there is always a belief that this year is THE year. Luckily, the Nats winning will hopefully distract us from Skins losing, even giving up all those picks for the next few years. I only say Nats for general DC area fans as personally I'm an O's fan. Grew up when only the Skins and the Orioles were the areas only representations of Football and Baseball. Can't be a Ravens fan as much I'd like to root for a team that gets into the playoffs.

Whooooooooo! Fantasy draft done, and I have a whole new list of favorite players.

Is Patrick Petersen still returning kicks? We do IDP and I picked him up early because we also get points for kick returns.

Ravenssssssssssssss!

At least you're not a Skins fan. It seems there is always a belief that this year is THE year. Luckily, the Nats winning will hopefully distract us from Skins losing, even giving up all those picks for the next few years. I only say Nats for general DC area fans as personally I'm an O's fan. Grew up when only the Skins and the Orioles were the areas only representations of Football and Baseball. Can't be a Ravens fan as much I'd like to root for a team that gets into the playoffs.

I think there will be a one year break for the Skins optimism but next year it will be back with a vengeance. Especially if RGIII progresses during the season. With as competitive as the NFC East is already I dont even want to think about it once the Skins get good.

Seda

I know I'm late, but Arnie, be aware: There will be lots of commercials.

Lots of them.

It seems to be usually the first thing Europeans notice about American football broadcasts.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Cliffy B is awfully thin at wide receiver. When your bench depth consists of Santonio Holmes and nobody else, you've got problems.

Not only that but RB is a concern, Charles coming off a major injury which before he was a yard beast, not a TD guy.

No clue how much the saints will use Sproles, he will be solid but not a huge contributor.

The Law Firm is someone who could surprise this year, will be interesting to see him in a run first offense.

.... apparently there is a huge thunderstorm system moving through NY for the next 5-6 hours. I can't see tonight's game being rain-free at all.

Gigglepoo

Random question: Does anyone who uses TuneIn Radio (phone app) know which station will air the game tonight? I assume the NFL is even stricter than the NBA so most stations will just be blacked out. Any idea? And if I can't use TuneIn, is there another app that would let me listen to night games on my commute home?

Not a Jellyfish said:
No clue how much the saints will use Sproles, he will be solid but not a huge contributor.
Sproles was huge for me last year. 20-30 points a game usually. He's a big cog in that offense and will be more than just a solid contributor. Especially if you're in a league that awards on yardage pickup.

ESPN's picks:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

Everyone picked us. Loss confirmed.

Rorschach

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

Not one person (or machine) picked the Cowboys, Rams, Colts, Browns, Titans, Dolphins or Bengals to win this week.

Have to imagine at least more than 1 of those teams ends up winning their game.

Out of those, I pick the Bungles.

It seems like a pretty straightforward weekend in terms of match ups, but then again, Week 1 is always tough to predict.

Prince survived though!

But now he's shamed forever. JPP probably killed his competitive spirit.

Might as well post these.

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC I hate the Falcons, so much.
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO Fuck the Saints.
STL at DET LOL Rams.
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ Jets suck.
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB Fuck the 49ers.
CAR at TB Cam throws 5 TDs, Fatman throws 5 pick-6es. 70-0.
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

MechDX

Forbes released updated most valuable NFL franchise list:

Texans ranked 5th on the list, valued at $1.31 billion. Dallas topped the list at $2.1 billion. Rounding out the top five were the Patriots ($1.64B), Redskins ($1.6B) and the Giants ($1.47B).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8340272/forbes-magazine-values-dallas-cowboys-more-2-billion

Forbes projects only two teams had operating losses last year -- the Pittsburgh Steelers ($1.1 billion), due to a higher payroll, and the Oakland Raiders ($785 million), thanks to having the lowest revenues in the league.

Dat extra stadium revenue.

cashman

Banned
SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG Giants suck

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI Colts suck
ATL at KC Falcons suck
PHI at CLE Browns suck
WAS at NO Redskins suck
STL at DET Rams suck
NE at TEN Titans suck
JAC at MIN Jaguars ehhh both teams suck
BUF at NYJ Tebow sucks
MIA at HOU Dolphins suck
SEA at ARI Cardinals suck
SF at GB 49ers suck
CAR at TB Bucs suck
PIT at DEN Broncos suck

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL Bengals suck
SD at OAK Raiders suck

Vire

Hope it's not too late:

SEPTEMBER 5
DAL at NYG

SEPTEMBER 9
IND at CHI
ATL at KC
PHI at CLE
WAS at NO
STL at DET
NE at TEN
JAC at MIN
BUF at NYJ
MIA at HOU
SEA at ARI
SF at GB
CAR at TB
PIT at DEN

SEPTEMBER 10
CIN at BAL
SD at OAK

Let's do this! I got money riding on the SD at OAK game...

Little bit concerned that I picked so many away teams.

Top Bottom