• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mendy is a little bitch. I like Dwyer. He's been running hard the first couple of weeks. Redman hasn't looked as good.

bionic, Moore was awesome as a 3rd down back, sort of a David Maggette type, but wasn't really capable of being the every down guy.

squicken

Winston had a rough game if you ask me, got caught holding and was repeatedly pushed back by Mario. Texans got better in the offseason, addition by subtraction I guess.

Winston was mad overrated. Got talked up b/c he's so media friendly. They miss Brisiel more than Winston

UberTag

Hakeem has been downgraded to out tomorrow night. That would explain the rumblings of Randle getting more snaps. Fuck that's a big loss. :(
No Nicks, no Bradshaw, no Hixon... at least you'll have Prince back.
Even so, I say the Panthers win tomorrow night.

bionic77

Fuck you anti-Moore guys!

I would ride with Moore as the full time back and anyone that says otherwise I point you to one of the fresh bag of dicks that FMT is always offering to haters!

Godslay

Banned
Hey, somebody post a gif of Seymour punching that felon Ben.

ivGsIIZCN2ywG.gif

You mean this one?

So I went back and watched Mario since the Texans fans love talking about him, 3 quarters, he was killing Winston with his bullrush at times, doesn't have a good move once he gets someone off balance though, just keeps driving them back. Think he could do some damage lined up inside.

Winston had a rough game if you ask me, got caught holding and was repeatedly pushed back by Mario. Texans got better in the offseason, addition by subtraction I guess.

Edit: Had a better game than I thought.

That's the thing though. I think so many of us want sacks, and big plays from dl guys, but fail to ignore that they are doing their jobs. Is he worth his salary? I don't know, and wouldn't really care as long as he's doing his job, whatever the team wants that job to be.

jmdajr

I still remember when Texans fans were calling for Sage Rosenthfals to be starting over Schaub.

He put a quick end to that!

chuckddd said:
Massive blow to my fantasy team.
Massive blow to my REAL FUCKING TEAM!;)

Still not writing us off, regardless. Next man up.

Ubertag said:
No Nicks, no Bradshaw, no Hixon...
Only one of those is a serious detriment (Bradshaw hurts from a pass pro perspective though). I haven't been high on Hixon this season. The injuries have slowed him and he's made a play or two but has been a non-factor. Let the young guys like Randle, Barden and Jernigan play. I prefer to see what we have there.

jakncoke

Banned
As i said on IRC

game predictor is in

Steelers 77
Raiders 2

Richard Seymour punches Ben into the endzone for their only pts of the day

PFF's review of the Giants/Bucs game:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/19/refo-buccaneers-giants-week-2/

No Big Diehl?

If you’ve read almost any of our Giants game analysis from last season, then you’re probably aware of the struggles of offensive lineman David Diehl. Announcers call him versatile because he can play guard or tackle, which really means that he can hurt the Giants at two positions. He compiled an abysmal -47.2 grade at left guard and left tackle in 2011, and has shown no signs of improvement at right tackle this season. He graded a -6.0 against the Cowboys and -1.8 in just 15 snaps on Sunday before he left with an injury. Sean Locklear (-0.6) struggled in pass protection in his stead and William Beatty (+0.2) had a couple of bad false start penalties, but even their average performances are an upgrade from Diehl’s standard. If Diehl has to miss any time with his injury, the Giants may be getting a blessing in disguise.

Ahah.....hahahaha.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bowser

Since news of Nicks' absence broke, the line on the NYG/CAR game has moved from NYG -1.5 to CAR -1. It had moved to PK around 4:50PM EST last I checked.

Since news of Nicks' absence broke, the line on the NYG/CAR game has moved from NYG -1.5 to CAR -1. It had moved to PK around 4:50PM EST last I checked.
The short week was the killer:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

Doesn't sound like WR Hakeem Nicks had a setback, just that his foot didn't have enough time in a short week to recover. #NYG
He tried to run today which is regularly a rest day with the foot injury and didn't get much accomplished. They want to rest him to have him available for Philly the week after.

I'm disappointed we won't one of our biggest offensive weapons but I'm interested to see what some of the young guys can do. I'm hoping Randle runs away with that 3rd WR spot. I think he has massive upside. In short...

ELI_I_GOT_THIS.jpg

squicken

I like CAR simply b/c NYG come off such an emotional game and travel while CAR won comfortably and is at home.

Guess what Ray Horton said about New England was garbage and kind of lame for him to talk himself up like that

The Patriots passed 80 percent of the time from the shotgun formation and 44 percent of the time from under center on these early downs. The percentages were 75 percent from shotgun and 41 percent from under center for every other NFL team in Week 2, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

From that, we can say the run-pass disparity by formation was roughly the same for the Patriots as for other teams. The shotgun is a passing formation by definition. The plan Horton put together obviously went much deeper. He obviously had a great feel for the Patriots' offense. Good for him, but only to an extent.

Beating the Patriots should be enough for a coordinator to be secure in his position and worthiness for the job. What Horton said on the radio comes off as self-serving.

Those comments were consistent with the unapologetic attitude Horton has brought to the job. That attitude can be an asset for Horton's defense. But there are times when a coordinator can be best served sounding like a coordinator, not like a frustrated position coach.

Horton has done a fantastic job with the Cardinals' defense. He should be in line for a head coaching position if the trend continues. Of course, the team owners responsible for hiring head coaches are presumably watching how Horton handles himself in all areas, not just on the field. Do they hear a head coach when they listen to comments such as these?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/75220/a-coachs-dilemma-to-run-mouth-or-pass

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So I went back and watched Mario since the Texans fans love talking about him, 3 quarters, he was killing Winston with his bullrush at times, doesn't have a good move once he gets someone off balance though, just keeps driving them back. Think he could do some damage lined up inside.

Edit: Had a better game than I thought.

not many of us are hating on him, other than the ones that hated him in the first place. It didnt matter what would happen in a game people would call and bitch about mario.

I just wouldn't have paid that much to keep him. But good for him, and good for the Bills if they end up happy with his production. Not everything is about sacks for the D line, but when someone gets paid that kind of money everyone expects big sack numbers. I mean if someone gets 3 sacks but gets shut out the rest of the game and the team loses who cares? vs someone that gets good consistent hurries and pressure on the QB but gets no sacks, but was disruptive enough for his team to win thats more important imo.

Bowser

Or they saw that Nicks was out.

Yeah, but the line calibrates in real-time to the way people bet. It went from NYG -1.5 to PK to CAR -1 to CAR -2, which means they've already reset the line twice and were still getting a shit ton of action on the Panthers.

Crisco

Banned
How the hell are the 49ers only 7 point favorites over the Vikings? Is there something I don't know? It's impossible to run the ball against their defense, and all the Vikings can do is run the ball. Plus they beat both GB and the Lion by more than 7. I'm not a betting man, but if I were ......

Bowser said:
Yeah, but the line calibrates in real-time to the way people bet. It went from -1.5 to PK to -1 to -2, which means they've already reset the line twice and were still getting a shit ton of action on the Panthers.
Should be all the more entertaining when they lose.

We'll either win a close game, get propped up and lose to the Eagles the week after or lose to the Panthers in embarrassing fashion, get written off all week long and then smash the Eagles to continue to fuck with perceptions...

Doorman

Great OP, Bucket.

Now, as for week 3? Not expecting much. Fatford's pissed away all the goodwill from last season and who knows when Delmas, Houston and Bentley are coming back. But without them, this team is in trouble once they get the ball past the line of scrimmage because Stephen Tulloch cannot create 10 clones of himself.
It sounds like Houston and Bentley will be back, at least, and that should certainly help. Plus, I wouldn't want an all-Tulloch defense anyway...any receiver at or over 6 feet tall would run wild.

I'm not even a huge fan of Stafford, but are 2 games really enough to invalidate a 5000 yard season?

The problem is that if the trend of bad starts continue, that 5000 yard season starts to look more and more like the outlier season and less like what to expect. Stafford was out for a lot of games his first two years, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire when he was in, either. He was great last year, thanks to a lot of hurried comebacks, but as it stands he's still in the category of needing to validate the 5000 yard season, more than having that credit already and losing it.

Bowser

Should be all the more entertaining when they lose.

We'll either win a close game, get propped up and lose to the Eagles the week after or lose to the Panthers in embarrassing fashion, get written off all week long and then smash the Eagles to continue to fuck with perceptions...

I'm not going to lie, I'll be disappointed if we lose this game. Giants are banged up and without at least one key cog in Nicks, it's Cam's first ever primetime game, we're at home, and we're at relatively full strength (Stew will play according to a team source). If the team truly bought into and believe Kalil's statement that we're a SB-capable team, this is a game we should, and frankly need, to win.

Fox318

Mark Sanchez's overthrown pass during crucial drive is beginning of the end for NY Jets' QB during loss to Steelers
With the Jets up, 7-6, early in the second quarter, Sanchez, who wasn't under duress, looked comfortable as he fired on the run from the 31-yard line. But his pass sailed over Santonio Holmes’ outstretched arms in the end zone for an incompletion. The Jets settled for a field goal to take a 10-6 lead. But the missed opportunity was a killer.

The play designed by Tony Sparano in a dark room in Florham Park days earlier was brilliant.

The Jets were on a roll in Pittsburgh, a step ahead of a defensive guru, before one play changed everything Sunday in a 27-10 loss to the Steelers.

Mark Sanchez, who had orchestrated an eye-opening, 90-yard touchdown drive on Gang Green’s first possession, marched his team down the field again with a 7-6 lead early in the second quarter.

On first down at the Pittsburgh 24-yard line, Sparano dialed up the perfect call at the perfect time. He did everything right, playing to the strengths of his two most important players. The design was perfect. The route was perfect.

The throw wasn’t.

Sanchez didn’t deliver.

The Jets quarterback, who wasn’t under duress, looked comfortable as he fired on the run from the 31-yard line. But his pass sailed over Santonio Holmes’ outstretched arms in the end zone for an incompletion. The Jets settled for a field goal to take a 10-6 lead. But the missed opportunity was a killer.

It was also the beginning of a forgettable stretch for Sanchez, who never recovered after that errant pass. Dick LeBeau made the proper adjustments, and Sanchez looked lost. There’s no telling what two touchdown passes on the Jets’ first two drives would have done for Sanchez’s confidence the rest of the way. Instead, he went 6-for-20 for 58 yards after that play.

The play in question came about because Sparano fooled a typically sound Steeler defense by calling a misdirection play that utilized Sanchez’s strength as a passer on the move. Former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was routinely criticized for not calling enough plays to roll Sanchez out of the pocket.

Sparano put his quarterback in an ideal position this time. Sanchez’s play action to Bilal Powell got the Steelers’ four linemen flowing right to left, while he rolled free in the opposite direction.

The Jets formation had two receivers to Sanchez’s right: Stephen Hill in the slot and Holmes split wide just outside the numbers. Steelers safety Ryan Clark lined up in a stack formation behind linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who was covering Hill, in Pittsburgh’s Cover-2 look (two safeties splitting the field).

Sanchez’s misdirection prompted Clark to take a few steps forward to guard against a quarterback run, which left the middle of the field vacant. Holmes froze cornerback Ike Taylor with a textbook double move — faking an out route before running free on a post to the middle of the field. He was open for what should have been an easy touchdown to give the Jets a 14-6 lead and an avalanche of momentum.

But it didn’t happen. Worse yet, it set the tone for later in the game.

With his team trailing, 13-10, Rex Ryan didn’t have enough faith in Sanchez to get the Jets into field-goal range before halftime, after they took over at their own 31-yard line with 57 seconds left and two timeouts.

By comparison, the Colts trusted rookie quarterback Andrew Luck in a similar situation against the Vikings on Sunday. Indianapolis took over at its 36-yard line with 1:11 left before halftime and two timeouts. Luck went 4-for-6 for 64 yards on the drive, including a 30-yard touchdown pass to extend the Colts’ lead.

Sanchez admitted there’s a fine line between his team’s eruption in the season opener and the clunker in Week 2. Ryan called Sanchez’s performance “a little inconsistent,” but took solace knowing his quarterback didn’t commit a turnover. However, Sanchez can’t afford to miss opportunities such as the one early in the second quarter against the Steelers.

The Jets also need him to do much more than just play turnover-free football over a critical three-week stretch that begins in Miami on Sunday.

Sanchez must become a difference-maker.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mark-sanchez-overthrown-pass-crucial-drive-beginning-ny-jets-quarterback-pittsburgh-steelers-article-1.1162663#ixzz26xIuRpzz

Yeah, but the line calibrates in real-time to the way people bet. It went from NYG -1.5 to PK to CAR -1 to CAR -2, which means they've already reset the line twice and were still getting a shit ton of action on the Panthers.

Those people are nuts thi is what theGiants do, play down to bad teams and then beat good teams. No way do the Panthers win this game.

Bowser

I just replaced Nicks and Bradshaw with Alshon Jeffrey and Peyton Hillis...

wnJpg.gif

Yeah? Well I had to put Nicks on the bench in the NeoGAF Stragglers league, which for some reason is a 3WR/2RB, no flex format, and pick from the poo poo platter of Brian Hartline, Greg Little or Stephen Hill to replace him.

zqQLl.gif

Fox318

Yeah? Well I had to put Nicks on the bench in the NeoGAF Stragglers league, which for some reason is a 3WR/2RB, no flex format, and pick from the poo poo platter of Brian Hartline, Greg Little or Stephen Hill to replace him.

zqQLl.gif

Whose idea was no flex?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Sorry, as an old school fantasy footballer, I believe starting 3 rb's is bullshit. I have 5 teams and not a single one of them plays with a flex. Next year, I'll let everyone flex a TE into that last slot.

Fox318

Sorry, as an old school fantasy footballer, I believe starting 3 rb's is bullshit. I have 5 teams and not a single one of them plays with a flex. Next year, I'll let everyone flex a TE into that last slot.

The league is the only one I have a win in so far....

fuck you McFadden

squicken

Mark Sanchez's overthrown pass

I love the NY media. They hated Schotty and were so giddy to see him gone that now Sporano is oh so clever and it's now Sanchez who is holding the team back

edit: Retractable roof stadiums are so dumb. Just make it a dome. There's such a narrow window of comfort that most of the time it will stay closed. And they still can't figure out how to grow grass in the things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom