• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 3 |OT| Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
i8bhIzAwKZDXo.gif

Let's see how a real TE blocks.
steelers3.gif

eznark

Banned
ez scoll to the bottom for some stat breakdown on penalties

http://www.footballperspective.com/nyt-fifth-down-post-week-2/

The thing with the Skins though is that if you have a DL that is banged up, shouldn't you play more zone? Amendola's big reception came vs man. I said during and after the game that it was crazy for them to play so much zone against STL, but given WAS' injury situation I'm not sure that's true. Even Bradford and the Rams WRs can beat man if they have time

Thanks, this was sort of my assumption as well (and one that fans would be hilarious to criticize since the number of calls for "defensive holding" is a tiny fraction of the calls for "pass interference!!" in these threads).

There were some interesting changes in the penalty data in week two. As you may recall, there were 26 defensive pass interference penalties enforced in week 1 — an extremely high number — compared to just 5 defensive holding penalties and only one illegal contact penalty. In week two, only 14 defensive pass interference penalties were enforced, but the number of defensive holding (10) and illegal contact penalties (6) each rose by five. This is more in line with historical data, and a good sign that the replacement officials aren’t simply calling everything pass interference (Ike Taylor’s penalty against the Jets, notwithstanding).

This is what I was afraid will happen moving forward...and it's already started!!

There were fewer personal foul and unnecessary roughness penalties enforced in week one of the 2012 season than in week 1 last year, but things changed quickly in week two. Teams had 23 total personal foul or unnecessary roughness penalties enforced against them in week 2, compared to just 11 last week. Of course, as most fans who watched the majority of the games this weekend noticed, there was good reason for the uptick.

Your (?) opening line is garbage though:

No one who watched the games this weekend came away thinking the replacement referees had no impact on the game.
Have you ever watched a professional sports game and thought the officials had literally no impact on the game? I can't think of a single instance. Maybe a NASCAR race before the "debris on the track" yellow flag innovation.

Draxal

Reading that article, that sounds bad for a defense that already has taken some major blows with the loss of two big name players. It seems to be the Skins luck though. They seem to finally get a playmaker at QB and the offense is somewhat clicking and now the defense (which has been solid for years now) is falling apart.

The Giants are going through a bit of this right now without the seemingly public coordinator spat. Corey Webster specifically came out and said he wanted the Giants CB's to play more press and he wasn't a fan of the soft zones he's being asked to play. Fewell came out and agreed with him more aggressiveness may be called for moving forward. I guess we'll see how the Giants CB's deal with the Panthers WR's on Thursday as to whether that's the case or not.

Article on that here with some gifs showing Corey in zone and the plays given up to Jackson:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/9/1...ants-secondary-perry-fewell-carolina-panthers

The funny (or less funny if you're a Giants fan) part is that even when he's lined up to play press, Jackson blows by him like he's not even there.

giants2_medium.gif

He doesn't redirect him at the line or even get a hand on him until he's already taken the outside position. Even worse, he does an awful job of contesting the catch. It looks he trips and just goes for Jackson's legs once the catch is made. (and oh hey, Antrel Rolle is late and takes a poor angle! SHOCK!)

Webster is a press cb and if he flubs aginst Jackson it happens ... Jackson's a stud. No shame in that happening once in a while. And I really can't blame Fewell for having the cbs play back, the safety play right now has been horrendous. All that playing soft is a response to that, but as a result we give up slants (see Dallas) all night/day long.

squicken said:
The thing with the Skins though is that if you have a DL that is banged up, shouldn't you play more zone? Amendola's big reception came vs man. I said during and after the game that it was crazy for them to play so much zone against STL, but given WAS' injury situation I'm not sure that's true. Even Bradford and the Rams WRs can beat man if they have time
Depends on your personnel don't you think? I mean if you have CB's that are poor in zone coverage but who's strength lies in pressing the receivers and disrupting their timing I would think you would want to play more press or mix in more press depending on the offensive formation and what the defense is seeing. 3rd and 15 for instance, there's little need to be in a position to give up the big play by having your corners press. Play the softer coverage, keep everything in front of you and hope that your defense are sure in their tackling if you give up the underneath throw.

I don't know if there's a clear answer on that. Fewell played a shit ton of zone last season to mask the injuries along the defensive line and I thought many times it was the right call but then the Giants defense gave up an enormous amount of big plays anyway. Corey also wasn't as awful as he's been the last two games either.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Have the maps been posted yet? Heading over to my buddy's place on Sunday for the annual shitbowl between the Browns and Bills, want to make sure he has the game otherwise it's back to my place which isn't as glamourous and doesn't have a girlfriend who will make us delicious treats.

Striker

Bradshaw, Diehl, Hixon and Adewale Ojomo have been ruled - Coe & Nicks are questionable - Prince, Rivers and Scott are probable for tomorrow
Rivers and Prince back will be nice - Rivers can help stabilize a rotation in at LB since Carolina can either be run heavy or pass happy.

Hopefully Wilson can get a decent dose of action, and be a one two punch with Andre Brown. Nicks is expected to play also.

Striker said:
Rivers and Prince back will be nice - Rivers can help stabilize a rotation in at LB since Carolina can either be run heavy or pass happy.

Hopefully Wilson can get a decent dose of action, and be a one two punch with Andre Brown. Nicks is expected to play also.
Put up or shut up time for Prince. We need him to play well. Speaking of which, I watched some of the coaches film last night and Hosely did play very well. He had a few bad plays here and there and he wasn't exactly lined up against any studs but I'm hopeful we might have found a quality CB in him.

I'm actually excited to see if Brown can continue his success on the ground. If anything else, I'm hoping he does so that Coughlin has a hard time putting Diehl back in the lineup.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Can you find one where he doesn't have momentum?

Why? Finley has momentum, he's just flat out going the wrong way. If he can just put a little push on that guy, that play goes for 15+. Miller effectively takes the cb out of that screen play simply by being in the correct position. In Finley's defense however, that's bad coaching and bad looks in practice coupled with bad execution.

squicken

Your (?) opening line is garbage though:

haha no that's not me. He's a writer with the NYT and PFF and a dirty Jets fan

Last week, I hinted that there may be a bias by the officials in favor of the home team, as these less-experienced referees may be more likely to side with the voices of the crowd. That hypotheses certainly wasn’t disproved this week, as 14 of the 16 home teams won, the first time 14 home teams have won in a week since the league expanded to 32 teams. So far this season, there have been 231 penalties against visiting teams and only 188 penalties against the hosts. That ratio — road teams having to deal with 23% more penalties — is far out of line with historical data, which informs us that road teams had 7% more penalties enforced against them than home teams from 2000 to 2011.

This is interesting, though

eznark

Banned
Why? Finley has momentum, he's just flat out going the wrong way. If he can just put a little push on that guy, that play goes for 15+. Miller effectively takes the cb out of that screen play simply by being in the correct position. In Finley's defense however, that's bad coaching and bad looks in practice coupled with bad execution.

1. No he doesn't. This is directly off the snap. It's a 2 step drop and throw. Finley reacted hilariously slow to the snap. I wanted to be able to show comparions of how someone who knows what they are doing make the play.

2. How could you possibly know it's bad coaching and "bad looks in practice"? I mean you must know, because the Packers run that play often with two receivers and Driver generally makes a hell of a block. I'd love to know why (really just how) you have inside information into the tight end coaches in Green Bay. Spygate 2?

squicken

Depends on your personnel don't you think?.

Well I guess that's true. I know going into the season that Skins had a bad secondary and the defense was going to rely on it's DL to get pressure to protect them. With Carricker and Orakpo down they now had a bad secondary and DL. I guess to me you'd play lots of zone to keep everything in front. I'll post the Gibson TD later but they got beat bad on a double move and I think they were in man. Got no pressure and it was an easy toss and catch

Hakeem the Dream is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/43349/giants-nicks-nfc-offensive-player-of-week

The NFL announced Wednesday that New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Nicks caught 10 passes for 199 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' comeback victory over the Buccaneers on Sunday. It's the fourth time in his career he's caught at least 10 passes in one game, including the most recent Super Bowl.

The NFL could have picked any of three Giants for this award. Nicks' fellow wideout, Victor Cruz, caught 11 passes for 179 yards, including an 80-yard touchdown. Nicks and Cruz are the first teammates in NFL history to catch at least 10 passes and amass at least 175 receiving yards in the same game. As you might imagine, quarterback Eli Manning also had big numbers in this game. His 510 passing yards matched the ninth-highest single-game total in league history, and the Giants became the first team to pass for 500 yards and have two receivers each surpass 150 since the 1951 Los Angeles Rams of Norm Van Brocklin, Tom Fears and Elroy (Crazy Legs) Hirsch.

Good for him. Replicate that this week in NC!

squicken

il0MFCw4gCiXG.gif

When I saw this on broadcast I thought it was the CB in man b/c I couldn't see the safety and CB basically swap position. I think there's a mix up here so I'm not sure exactly what this is

For me, its not the bad calls that bugs me about the replacement refs, it's the stoppages of play to figure out the aftermath of it all that irritates me. Hard for an offense that runs the no-huddle frequently such as Atlanta and Denver to get any kind of momentum going when you're standing around waiting on the refs to make up their minds.

Just make the call, block out the coaches yelling at you, and carry on!

That' because you are wholly unable to realize there are teams besides the Eagles playing football.

If you say so. I t=just thought that was a big game, so people would be paying more attention to it, and he had a monster game. He played every snap, had 7 tackles, a sack, and an Int. He was definitely the Eagles best player on defense, and they shut down Joe Elite.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
1. No he doesn't. This is directly off the snap. It's a 2 step drop and throw. Finley reacted hilariously slow to the snap. I wanted to be able to show comparions of how someone who knows what they are doing make the play.

2. How could you possibly know it's bad coaching and "bad looks in practice"? I mean you must know, because the Packers run that play often with two receivers and Driver generally makes a hell of a block. I'd love to know why (really just how) you have inside information into the tight end coaches in Green Bay. Spygate 2?

1. Sure he does, he takes two steps, how many steps is required for momentum? 3?

I know what your saying, but blocking a guy in front of you is easier than picking up a guy on the move. The cb is quicker than Finley, that is the problem and it makes body position the most important factor.

2. I'm sure they've run that play a few times in practice. If it ever looked that bad, they wouldn't run it in a game. Now, if Finley hasn't lined up there for practice, that's bad coaching. If Finley has lined up there and hasn't gotten beaten like that, it's bad reps. He's clearly expecting the corner to cover him and/or stand there and take the block. If that's the look he gets in practice, that's the look he'll expect in the game. You play like you practice.

If he's playing out of position there due to injury or something, then that's a forgivable and correctable mistake.

Bowser

I hope we pick on Amukamara. For all intents and purposes, he's basically still a rookie in his first game back from a bum ankle.

For the Panthers, Byron Bell and J-Stew didn't practice again today. I'm worried about either missing the game. Hopefully they'll be able to play tomorrow night.

eznark

Banned
1. Sure he does, he takes two steps, how many steps is required for momentum? 3?

I know what your saying, but blocking a guy in front of you is easier than picking up a guy on the move. The cb is quicker than Finley, that is the problem and it makes body position the most important factor.

2. I'm sure they've run that play a few times in practice. If it ever looked that bad, they wouldn't run it in a game. Now, if Finley hasn't lined up there for practice, that's bad coaching. If Finley has lined up there and hasn't gotten beaten like that, it's bad reps. He's clearly expecting the corner to cover him and/or stand there and take the block. If that's the look he gets in practice, that's the look he'll expect in the game. You play like you practice.

If he's playing out of position there due to injury or something, then that's a forgivable and correctable mistake.

lol, maybe at times, but most certainly not in the three situation we've look at.

The second is nothing but nonsense trying to cover for a baseless accusation. I expected more.

gutshot

If you say so. I t=just thought that was a big game, so people would be paying more attention to it, and he had a monster game. He played every snap, had 7 tackles, a sack, and an Int. He was definitely the Eagles best player on defense, and they shut down Joe Elite.

I think Watt's Mutombo finger wag gave him the slight edge.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
il0MFCw4gCiXG.gif

When I saw this on broadcast I thought it was the CB in man b/c I couldn't see the safety and CB basically swap position. I think there's a mix up here so I'm not sure exactly what this is

You have it right, it's man under, 2 deep with the safety and cb switching positions. The cb bites on something...

squicken

You have it right, it's man under, 2 deep with the safety and cb switching positions. The cb bites on something...

I had to cut a lot of frames to maintain resolution but Bradford shoulder fakes which causes the DB to bite. Once they motioned over Amendola I guess he liked what he saw b/c that's all he looks at on that play

edit:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
NY Times obit on Steve Sabol includes that, in late 1960s, Sabol came up with now often-heard phrase "frozen tundra." What didn't Sabol do

-very cool. didn't know that

Bowser said:
I hope we pick on Amukamara. For all intents and purposes, he's basically still a rookie in his first game back from a bum ankle.
Working on one day of limited practice to boot. That's the shittiest part about this schedule. Giants only got Tuesday as a full practice. Monday was a jog through. Today they are traveling to NC.

It levels out though. They did have 10 days off after the Wednesday opener.

Lots of buzz from the beat writers that Reuben Randle will be getting a good number of snaps at 3rd wideout.

bionic77

Seeing those Heath GIFs shows what a crime it was under Arians that he was so underutilized. In a league where the TE is becoming more important every season, Arians would have Heath stay back as an extra blocker way too often so that Ben could try to go balls deep to his top two receivers. This probably works in Madden, but you should be expected to be a little more creative when you an o-coordinator in the NFL.

Looking at the AFC North I think we can split with the Ravens or maybe steal the game in Baltimore. But the weird thing is that I think I am getting a little more worried about the Browns than the Bungles. We have been pretty vulnerable against the run this year and Richardson is a fucking beast. I am worried that if we don't get a lead he might be able to beat us in one of those games by himself, and with our schedule we need those games because we don't have many gimmes.

One more thing, I did not stick around to see if there was any debate, but what was the consensus on the Sanchez/Palmer debate? I honestly think it is a tossup and might prefer Sanchez because he doesn't throw as many retarded INTs. Palmer can't rely on that knee injury from 100 years ago anymore, it seems like perhaps he was never that good to begin with and benefited from a good offense early in his career, but can't be thought of as a franchise qb.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Looking at the AFC North I think we can split with the Ravens or maybe steal the game in Baltimore. But the weird thing is that I think I am getting a little more worried about the Browns than the Bungles. We have been pretty vulnerable against the run this year and Richardson is a fucking beast. I am worried that if we don't get a lead he might be able to beat us in one of those games by himself, and with our schedule we need those games because we don't have many gimmes.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Yes, it begins!

bionic77

Sooooo, are all the Steelers' fans who were calling for Mendenhall's head last season apologetic now?
I never liked him if I am being honest. I hate the way he holds the ball and I hate how horrible he is at catching the ball in the backfield. But right now we have one of the worst run games in the league so I am willing to give him another shot to see if he can help us...

bionic77

Wait....what?
The Browns game was a gimme 2 wins the entire Big Ben era. We pretty always split with the Ravens (Ben is usually hurt for that game for some reason) and I am used to either sweeping or splitting with the Bungles.

I am not sold on our defense and I am worried that Richardson is going to run wild. We really need some more gimme wins this year to get a bye and the Browns might not be jokes this year. This worries me.

harSon

Banned
I never liked him if I am being honest. I hate the way he holds the ball and I hate how horrible he is at catching the ball in the backfield. But right now we have one of the worst run games in the league so I am willing to give him another shot to see if he can help us...

Eh, fumbling really hasn't been a huge issue for Mendenhall since the 2009 season. And I've seen so many runs this season where a simple cutback to the outside would have resulted in some major runs, something that Mendenhall is infinitely better at than Dwyer and Redman.

bionic77

Eh, fumbling really hasn't been a huge issue for Mendenhall since the 2009 season. And I've seen so many runs this season where a simple cutback to the outside would have resulted in some major runs, something that Mendenhall is infinitely better at than Dwyer and Redman.
He never fumbled that often, he was average in protecting the ball. But the way he holds it always scared me. Somehow he made it work but like I said I was never a huge fan. I always liked Moore best and wanted him to start. Good things always seemed to happen when he was on the field or had the ball. He was soooo good on 3rd down, both in blocking and receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom