• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

eznark

Banned
Sounds like some kind of white supremacist group. Is this on public access channels where you live?

05baggerjjabrams-articleInline.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That was for throwing a challenge flag without a time out available?

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be penalized for attempting to take a time out if you don't have one.

Nevermind just looked it up, there's no penalty just the inevitable delay of game.

Not that it matters because the way I see the Falcons is a team that could easily be 3-1 or possibly 2-2. They don't look nearly as solid as the Texans right now. I'm still fully expecting the Cowardly Ryan to come out fairly often this season.

Dragon

Banned
So the guy who needed a miracle out of his ass in order to beat the lowly Carolina Panthers led by Cam Newton somehow makes him a great QB. Okay.

Cam won me a league last year. Dude is a stud! Fantasy god.

You're almost as good as eznark at making up arguments and then knocking them down.

Bowser

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
A request for an excess timeout is ignored. There is no penalty unless it's an attempt to freeze the kicker.

Ok, fine. But then why was the whistle blown and why were the Falcons allowed to adjust? Seems like a fuck up by the refs to me.

MechDX

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be penalized for attempting to take a time out if you don't have one.

Nevermind just looked it up, there's no penalty just the inevitable delay of game.

Not that it matters because the way I see the Falcons is a team that could easily be 3-1 or possibly 2-2. They don't look nearly as solid as the Texans right now. I'm still fully expecting the Cowardly Ryan to come out fairly often this season.

Kind of dumb. If you throw the challenge flag after the 2 minute warning you get penalized for unsportsman like conduct.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

The Texans have whooped up on The Dolphins, Jags, and Titans while beating the Broncos by one score. We haven't had the toughest of schedules either, but at least outside of our Broncos victory we can point to a dominating victory over a decent/good Chargers team. I think that the Texans are an overall better team (better defense), but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Falcons "don't look NEARLY as solid" as the Texans right now. We shall see how the Texans really shape up when they play the Packers and Ravens back-to-back (after their inevitable domination of the Jets).

squicken

I think all this Matt Ryan MVP stuff is funny. He's doing a lot of Fatford "throw it up for grabs against bad defenses and let my awesome WRs outmatch them" plays. Like the bomb from the EZ told me that the Panthers still have bad safeties, still have no pass rush, Falcons coaches understand mismatches, and Ryan can throw a ball 50 yards. The "play" was made by White, not Ryan

jmdajr

The Texans have whooped up on The Dolphins, Jags, and Titans while beating the Broncos by one score. We haven't had the toughest of schedules either, but at least outside of our Broncos victory we can point to a dominating victory over a decent/good Chargers team. I think that the Texans are an overall better team (better defense), but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Falcons "don't look NEARLY as solid" as the Texans right now. We shall see how the Texans really shape up when they play the Packers and Ravens back-to-back (after their inevitable domination of the Jets).

I'm surprised at how good Micheal Tuner has played. Not sure if it has anything to do with the DWI, but it seems a lot of people thought he might have been done.

This would be true expect the Eagles finally sustained drives last night when for once Reid stuck with the running game and went to a short passing game. The WestCoastOffense he was known for when he first took over the Eagles. In those first 2-3 seasons all we did were short passes to the flat or to the TE.

And it worked! And it worked last night too.

Of course they will abandon that completely against the Steelers. I don't expect McCoy to get as many carries. I don't expect Reid to contain himself for two weeks in a row. He will have the long ball itch and the fat man will have to scratch. Vick will die.

And looking back at the game more last night...good god is our redzone offense atrocious. I know I always complain about the lack of running the ball so I shouldn't care about running it three times in a row from 2 yards out to score a TD but its what they ran! Three straight sweeps when the shortest distance to the goal line was run straight up the gut. Yet Reid calls the same play 3 times (well actually 5 but those first two runs got them into the redzone) in a row. Hell even a play action mixed in on 2nd down would have been better than that.

It wasn't just one possession or one game. The redzone offense has been a problem since McNabb was here. One problem is they no big body target who they can just throw it up to. The other problem is they almost play scared and even IF and it is a big if they decide to run its always some trick gadget play instead of just lining up to punch it in.

Going forward the offense is going to have to finish off drives. If they score at least one more TD last night the game might have been too far out of reach for Elite.

Also I am still not sold on the D. Ryans is a big upgrade at LB but the wide 9 still leaves way too many wide open lanes which Chris Collinsworth perfectly explained is the responsibility of the safties and LBs. And then we saw on that Giants 2nd TD drive how bad Coleman bit two times in a row on a play fake where he should have supported over the top on the one on one coverage. Too many times they got close to Eli but never put him down. They had 0 sacks and this is against a bad Giants oline.

D needs to force more turnovers and come up big when needed. They took it from the Giants in the 2nd half and were extremely lucky Eli made a huge mistake in the redzone. Otherwise I do not think Giants had to punt once in the 2nd half.

Eagles dont run up the middle in goalline situations because their OL cant block straight ahead like that. They are smaller quicker guys who do better on outside runs and pass plays. Even last year very few of Shadys goalline touchdowns were up the middle. The Giants OL is really good this year. They gave up 0 sacks on 51 pases against TB and have only given up like 4 on the season.

LJ11

Jets have shown that they aren't afraid to throw away a season before.

They do need to make a move if they still want this season to change.

Rex should be fired because he disrespected the crown.

Plus Skinnyrattler!

Anyway since I live in NYC and all I hear today is about the Jets I thought I'd chime in. Don't care for the Jets but I get to see all of their games plus listen to sports radio talk about them so I think I am qualified to say this.

Sanchez sucks. Yes. But the Jets have drafted horribly. But wait before even get into that, Ryan is a terrible HC. He is a glorified DC whose gimmick only works as an assistant or for the defense.

Back to the draft. Since they have drafted Sanchez they have surrounded with what skill position players? Which WRs? Which RBs?

Point is Sanchez looked much better his first two seasons when he had guys like Thomas Jones to run the ball. They got rid of him to bring in LT who was ok but Thomas Jones played much better than he did.

Their oline lost some key guys and they never replaced them adequately. So now you have no running game and a bad OLINE. And you want to be a running team? How does that make any sense?

Sanchez looked like a competent QB when he had Braylon Edwards and even Plaxico at times. But they got rid of Braylan for some odd reason though he had his best season with the Jets. Was it money? Locker room issues? I can't believe it would be locker room issues since they never care about that.

So they downgraded at RB, OLINE, and WR and then brought in Tebow? Now losing Thomas Jones and guys like Braylan wouldn't be too terrible if they drafted better and had guys up and coming. They don't. They still can't produce a pass rush and can't stop the run. So even the element that Rex is supposed to be great at is falling apart.

Sanchez sucks yes but with actual coaching he could be better. I look at what a real coach in HAWBAW did with San Fran and how much the Jets wanted to be that team.

I think this is pretty spot on. Rex is one of the best DCs in the game. Look at that defensive roster. Outside of Revis who's there that really puts the fear in you? They have some underrated players, but Rex really gets a lot out of that unit. Can you imagine his defense with legit edge rushers?

Rex is good enough to be a head football coach if he tones down the bullshit, keeps his players on tighter leashes, and hires a good/excellent OC. When you get down to it, it's personnel, they've misfired repeatedly and it's time to part ways with Tannenbaum. Sanchez is awful, no amount of coaching is turning him around. Honestly, go bang models and live the life, he's done in football.

woodchuck

Should I just go ahead and pick up Kyle Orton in my fantasy league? Cuz there's no way Romo is making it out of this game alive with our shitty oline.

effzee

Eagles dont run up the middle in goalline situations because their OL cant block straight ahead like that. They are smaller quicker guys who do better on outside runs and pass plays. Even last year very few of Shadys goalline touchdowns were up the middle. The Giants OL is really good this year. They gave up 0 sacks on 51 pases against TB and have only given up like 4 on the season.

And? Are you telling me that professional OLINE men coached by supposedly the best OLINE coaches of all time can't block up for a 2 yard gain? For maybe even one play? On three tries? That is the shortest distance to the goal line. Try 1-2 sweep plays but if you are intent on running it in, tell the guys up front to get some push (doesn't even have to be that much) and tell McCoy to jump over into the endzone.

Also I think that nice little FB handoff play they have would have worked great at the goal line. He could power in and it really fools the D when the guard pulls to lead McCoy. The whole Dline follows McCoy.

The red zone play calling was horrible when they passed or ran. And then on other possessions they would take McCoy out on 1st and 2nd and goal. Pretty sure the D breathes a huge sigh of relief when they see McCoy on the sidelines.

Your argument is false because Alex Smith was better than Mark Sanchez now when he was under Mike Singletary.

True. And again I didn't say Mark is good. But he can def be better than what he has shown this season. I just don't the Jets GM with his FAs signings and drafting has helped. And lord knows Rex hasn't. Hell if their D was playing up to their own hyperbole, they would have a much better chance at winning games. Their D isn't all that great.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Falcons nearly lost to Scam at home

Texans beat the Broncos in Denver but the Falcons beat them at home both by approximately the same margin.

I don't think the Dolphins are *that* bad of a team so I'm not sure if I would downplay that as not being a somewhat quality win. I'll agree that beating the Jags is not.

Going to San Diego was a quality win and I won't take that from you.

I do think that your 4-0 is more legit than Arizona's at the end of the day but I'm not sure if I could seriously put Atlanta as a better team than San Francisco (who is still likely the class of the NFC, maybe the league), they're probably on the level of the Giants or Green Bay (both teams that I think are better than their record).

At the end of the day, there's no way the Falcons don't win that division because the rest of the NFC South is either garbage or are going to be digging themselves out of a huge hole just to have a shot at the wild card.

Cagey

Banned
You know who's not? All 900 Seahawks fans that came out of the woodwork to gloat over that hail mary. They lose to the awful Rams and? all gone

It wasn't 900 Seahawks fans, it was just 30 but they pumped in fake crowd posts to make themselves seem louder.

cashman

Banned
No Anthony Spencer for tonights game. This is not good, it's over. The Bears will run all over the Cowboys. Hand them the lombardi and crown they ass already

mr2xxx

Banned
Went to the Skins game in Tampa this weekend. Tampa seemed like a nice city but it just seemed dead like some Walkind Dead city minus the zombies and zombie food.

At the game the Skin fans came to represent with large numbers which made it seem more like a home game. Lucked out and had great seats in the shade which made the weather bearable. The game itself was fun to watch for the first half where the offense and defense was running on all cylinders but that second half, man that second half killed my buzz real quick. I guess it's the numerous losses as a fan that has conditioned me to expect the worst but luckily Rg mf'n 3 came up big and let 0-3 Cundiff save his worthless job. Rg3 looks like a veteran out there and the fact that his mic went out in that two minute offense makes me all giddy inside.

Speaking of fans, I think there are more Dolphins fans on GAF than in the entire city of Miami. And I don't think there are that many Dolphins fans on GAF.

Crisco

Banned
The Falcons are exactly what a championship contender looks like in the modern NFL. They have an explosive passing offense complemented by the ability to pick up 3rd and shorts on the ground. Their defense generates turnovers with a solid pass rush and ball hawking secondary. It's way too early to compare them to other contenders, but they certainly look the part as well or better than anyone else.

After a couple more losses it'll be down to the usual two just like every year.
This is my first year posting on NFL-GAF but I don't plan on going anywhere. It's not like I had high expectations for the Dolphins to begin with. These threads are fun.

I don't think the Dolphins are *that* bad of a team so I'm not sure if I would downplay that as not being a somewhat quality win.

Skiesofwonder said:
I don't think the Dolphins are a bad team
Best compliments the Dolphins have gotten all year. This stuff really warms my soul.

Top Bottom