• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

DeaconKnowledge said:
Are you really relying on the Giants to sleep through another regular season on the way to another SB in three years?
I'm not "relying" on anything. It's football. I watch it for entertainment not to make a paycheck.

What I am confident in is this coaching staff and front office to make the right decisions for the team moving forward. I expect to see continued success because the organization has the right people making those decisions. Whether that happens with the team sleep walking through a season and making a run in the playoffs of going 14-2 and winning as the #1 seed makes fuck all difference to me.

Would I like the 14-2 scenario? Sure. I also like the fact that at the end of the day, I can count on the team being in the playoff chase year in and year out and there's always the hope/chance that when they make it - they have the ability to make that run.

Talon

As a Giants fan, I'd be frustrated as fuck that the O-line and Secondary never, ever gets its shit together.

Even during Superbowl runs.

tmdorsey

I'm more concerned about Clabo. Guy just gets killed on bull rushes. Charles Johnson looked like Reggie White yesterday.

Diggin' your avatar, man.

Yeah he was getting beat bad. After they watch the tape I hope they start getting him some help on that right side.

Thanks man! Swiped it from the AF message boards. lol.

I'm not "relying" on anything. It's football. I watch it for entertainment not to make a paycheck.

What I am confident in is this coaching staff and front office to make the right decisions for the team moving forward. I expect to see continued success because the organization has the right people making those decisions. Whether that happens with the team sleep walking through a season and making a run in the playoffs of going 14-2 and winning as the #1 seed makes fuck all difference to me.

Would I like the 14-2 scenario? Sure. I also like the fact that at the end of the day, I can count on the team being in the playoff chase year in and year out and there's always the hope/chance that when they make it - they have the ability to make that run.

They've sleptwalk through playoff games too.

Let's not forget, only reason the Giants even made the playoffs last year is because they faced a horrible Jets team at the right time. Part of having a good decision making staff is knowing that they can't have their players phoning in games for stretches at a time. Look no further than the Miracle at the Meadowlands 2 for a perfect example.

Talon- said:
As a Giants fan, I'd be frustrated as fuck that the O-line and Secondary never, ever gets its shit together.
The offensive line trouble is a recent issue (2010+) so the frustration level has plenty of time to develop. People tend to forget that the Giants had what was considered one of the best offensive lines in the game as recently as 2008/2009.

The secondary - well there is that. However, as been mentioned several times - the team doesn't need an amazing secondary if the defensive line is doing its job. If Giants fans are expecting Reese to go out and draft corners/safeties high over defensive lineman - well they have no one to blame but themselves for their misery. More to the point, Reese has stocked the positions well - they just need stay healthy. (Prince, Hosely are two recent high draft picks added at corner)

Cagey

Banned

The OL in 2007, carrying into 2008, was in collective beast mode. SI even made a "are these five guys MVP?" cover in 2008 because they were running roughshod over the league.

The OL in 2011 was Eli Manning bailing out five fat guys by balling the fuck out every week.

The secondary is defined by three words: questionable, and injured reserve.

Talon

The offensive line trouble is a recent issue (2010+) so the frustration level has plenty of time to develop. People tend to forget that the Giants had what was considered one of the best offensive lines in the game as recently as 2008/2009.

The secondary - well there is that. However, as been mentioned several times - the team doesn't need an amazing secondary if the defensive line is doing its job. If Giants fans are expecting Reese to go out and draft corners/safeties high over defensive lineman - well they have no one to blame but themselves for their misery. More to the point, Reese has stocked the positions well - they just need stay healthy. (Prince, Hosely are two recent high draft picks added at corner)
The 2008 O-line was great. As I recall, this was when Jacobs marginally cared.

Antrell Rolle just flatout sucks. I don't understand why that guy got paid. The biggest impact he's had in a game was blocking Larry Fitzgerald from tackling Harrison on that pick six by standing off the sideline like an idiot.

And, don't get me wrong, I think it's clear that I'm all for building from inside out, as resident old man that is not old of this thread.

Milchjon

So there's like thousands and thousands of the smartest people in the world living in Boston, right?

How come they can't figure out a way to not make me wait in line for an hour at Logan airport?

Fucking thing sucks!

So there's like thousands and thousands of the smartest people in the world living in Boston, right?

How come they can't figure out a way to not make me wait in line for an hour at Logan airport?

Fucking thing sucks!

Did you visit places they showed in The Town and The Departed in Boston?

DeaconKnowledge said:
Let's not forget, only reason the Giants even made the playoffs last year is because they faced a horrible Jets team at the right time. Part of having a good decision making staff is knowing that they can't have their players phoning in games for stretches at a time. Look no further than the Miracle at the Meadowlands 2 for a perfect example.
You're talking about minutia that I couldn't care less about. Well this team made x happen because y did this...and? It happened. The sky is blue. Water is wet. Shoulda, woulda, coulda for the 1 and 2 seeds that couldn't stop a 9-7 team with a negative point differential.

Let me state it again so that I'm clear since you don't seem get it: I'll start second guessing the coaching staff when the team has a continual streak of losing seasons or isn't competitive or in the playoff chase every year.

Talon- said:
Antrell Rolle just flatout sucks. I don't understand why that guy got paid.
Giants were coming off of an '09 season where the defense gave up a franchise record amount of points with CC Brown and Aaron Rouse at safety. Reese was going to spend to bring someone in. Antrel commanded the price he got.

Did you study? Finishing quick usually mean 1 of two things:

1. You didn't study

2. You studied like crazy and have all the material down.

Half studied.

A lot of the material is old for me but I should have spent more time.

It felt like a lot of the questions were in the bag but then a lot of them I wasnt sure but had a decent hunch.

You're talking about minutia that I couldn't care less about. Well this team made x happen because y did this...and? It happened. The sky is blue. Water is wet. Shoulda, woulda, coulda for the 1 and 2 seeds that couldn't stop a 9-7 team with a negative point differential.

Let me state it again so that I'm clear since you don't seem get it: I'll start second guessing the coaching staff when the team has a continual streak of losing seasons or isn't competitivein the playoff chase every year.

First off, calm down.

Second, i'm not questioning the coaching staff. They are what they are and they obviously know what they're doing come crunch time. I just think it's silly to say that the Giants are better than their record because they sleepwalk all the time. The Giants imploding to a clearly inferior team is practically a yearly thing now.

Also, I really believe the Giants should have been to more than two Super Bowls, particularly the 2008 season. They were the best team in the NFC and arguably the best in the league (The Steelers had the better Defense, but the Giants had a God-Tier O-line which balanced them the fuck out) but as usual they don't show up against the Eagles and choke away.

The secondary has always been a weak link for the Giants. It also doesn't help that they're never healthy either.

And last year I would've gladly taken Kareem McKenzie back to the Jets to replace Wayne Hunter :p

Cagey

Banned
Also, I really believe the Giants should have been to more than two Super Bowls, particularly the 2008 season. They were the best team in the NFC and arguably the best in the league (The Steelers had the better Defense, but the Giants had a Got-Tier O-line which balanced them the fuck out) but as usual they don't show up against the Eagles and choke away.

2008 was certainly an instance of Missing Rings.

The defensive line no-showed towards the end of the season because we didn't have enough depth along the entire line: two of the four DEs from 2007 never played a down in 2008 (Strahan, Osi), and the defensive tackle rotation was sorely lacking. Couple that with a brutal showing from Eli at home and a couple failed short yardage conversions, and that's how that season flickered out.

And last year I would've gladly taken Kareem McKenzie back to the Jets to replace Wayne Hunter :p

A traffic cone was better than Wayne Hunter, but towards the end, McKenzie was marginally better than a traffic cone.

bionic77

I've been trying to tell 'em.
Yeah it doesn't seem like a big difference but they add up. Such a sexy piece of tech. You really to hold it in your hands to appreciate it (thats what she said).

Did the people in the store help an old person like you use the apps?
No I learned how to tap icons a long time ago!

Did you study? Finishing quick usually mean 1 of two things:

1. You didn't study

2. You studied like crazy and have all the material down.
Usually number one. Though I hope he aced it!

Talon

Anyone else get the new iPhone? This thing is pretty boss.
Yeah. I'm a little bored by the user experience at this point, but they're right when they say it's the best iPhone yet. I'm just amazed by how lightning fast it is.

Also, LTE is the greatest.

OH-YEAH.gif

Poor man's Mongo McMichael.

DeaconKnowledge said:
First off, calm down.
I really need to start using caps to show that I'm yelling. It's the only reason I can imagine that folks think I'm not calm when having a debate. ;)

DeacondKnowledge said:
Second, i'm not questioning the coaching staff.
You:

Part of having a good decision making staff is knowing that they can't have their players phoning in games for stretches at a time.
That's /exactly/ what you're doing. At least in so far as this comment is concerned.

I really need to start using caps to show that I'm yelling. It's the only reason I can imagine that folks think I'm not calm when having a debate. ;)
It's the way you argue. You seem to be getting flustered in your posting style.

You:

That's /exactly/ what you're doing. At least in so far as this comment is concerned.
Okay i'll give you that, but it was more me trying to make a point. This happens so often to the Giants that you have to knock the coaching staff for that. Sure they've been to 2 Super Bowls and won both but that doesn't mean they're above criticism, and as I said they should have been to at least 1 more.

Dragon

Banned
After playing with it for awhile I think I am going to leave the cult again.

I'll be using the 5 and the S3 in tandem because of work so I'll get the best of both worlds. But Apple really has to do something about their OS. It's just plain boring since I've gotten used to ICS (not even on JB yet).

Worst team in the NFL yet we are still undefeated, with so much salt oozing from your pores i hope its cleansing as least.

Your team gave up 431 yards passing to Ryan Tannehill. You're right. It's time to talk shit. Because God knows your franchise has been so successful with your amazing one Super Bowl appearance and three playoff appearances since 1987.

bionic77

Yeah. I'm a little bored by the user experience at this point, but they're right when they say it's the best iPhone yet. I'm just amazed by how lightning fast it is.

Also, LTE is the greatest.
I have been on LTE with Verizon for awhile and I think it benefit a laptop more than a phone. Irregardless the cap is going to prevent you from really taking advantage of the speeds.

My phone is on At&t and honestly for me 3.5G is enough speed for what I do on my phone. I download the videos, adds and podcasts from home (to say on caps). That is the stuff that benefits from LTE but you are going to go through your cap really quickly if you do any of that stuff. For checking NeoGAF 3.5 is more than fast enough.

Also LTE rapes battery. I am going to mine turned off for now and when I need a super fast connection I will just turn on the mifi.

Draxal

I can't second guess the Giant's Front O/Coaching, they won us 2 super bowls and kept the team well stocked even with these injuries.

Right now, I'm dissapointed with the D-Line play (sans Joseph/Bernard/JPP), Tuck is mailing it in as of this moment, and Osi's weaknesses are being exposed. Secondary is playing well for it's injury limitations (Terrell Thomas and Chad Jones ... guys just got the worst luck).

Giants really need a healthy Canty back, Austin isn't ready.

edit.
Blackburn's gotta be benched soon, guy's just too slow for the NFL atm.

bionic77

I'll be using the 5 and the S3 in tandem because of work so I'll get the best of both worlds. But Apple really has to do something about their OS. It's just plain boring since I've gotten used to ICS (not even on JB yet).
In my experience they all get boring after awhile.

I think Android's UI development is going to slow down now because they finally got it right with ICS.

so i stumbled across this guy's youtube channel with almost every NFL Primetime Song ever used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo

he also put them up for download on his own site.

while he has the fan favorites, i have yet to find my favorite NFL Primetime song...it came out around the same time as song 6 on the list, but it is more up-tempo and uses guitars for the most part...i know some songs were kind of like the unofficial primetime themes for some teams, but i can't recall...

at least we can listen to awesome music.

DeaconKnowledge said:
It's the way you argue. You seem to be getting flustered in your posting style.
Nah. Just direct is all and I don't mince words when I'm direct. You wanted to debate the minutia of how the Giants got into the playoffs. I have no interest because it's not going to change what is. I'll admit that it's bit of a pet peeve of mine when people go into the what could have or should have happened because it's meaningless when it's all said and done. Apologies if it came off as flustered or irate. Not the intention.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Sure they've been to 2 Super Bowls and won both but that doesn't mean they're above criticism, and as I said they shold have been to at least 1 more.
Absolutely not and I agree with you. I would ask how much of it is on the coaching staff though, really? You can only motivate and drive a team so much. Some of that has to be on the players and the leaders in the locker room. I think at times, the Giants buy into their own press and that's when the team gets lax and think they're entitled to a win instead of actually fighting for it. "Oh it's the Redskins, we'll beat that team 99/100 times" - Antrel Rolle. Proceed to lose both games in 2011 to the Skins. STFU and play.

As good as Eli is in the fourth quarter, I actually think that's been somewhat bad for the defense. They honestly think he's going to bail them out at every turn (Tuck even said last night they expected to win when Eli took the field). It's great to have that confidence but man you can't allow a running back to gash you in a drive, show up to make a stop for a FG and then happily sit on the sidelines while expecting your QB to bail your ass out. THAT frustrates me more than anything.

Dragon

Banned
In my experience they all get boring after awhile.

I think Android's UI development is going to slow down now because they finally got it right with ICS.

Perhaps. I just like the flexibility on Android compared to iOS. Plus I've been on the iPhone since the 3G, just felt like a change.

Wes

venison crêpe
so i stumbled across this guy's youtube channel with almost every NFL Primetime Song ever used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo

he also put them up for download on his own site.

while he has the fan favorites, i have yet to find my favorite NFL Primetime song...it came out around the same time as song 6 on the list, but it is more up-tempo and uses guitars for the most part...i know some songs were kind of like the unofficial primetime themes for some teams, but i can't recall...

at least we can listen to awesome music.

This is some great stuff! I might download them all and use them when I go running.

So from what I'm reading it looks like Tavon Wilson might be slowly taking Gregory his job. After the second TD by the Bills TE, Wilson was on the field instead of Gregory.

Would be interesting to see how he does, can't be much worse than how Gregory has played so far.

DarkFlow

Banned
Your team gave up 431 yards passing to Ryan Tannehill. You're right. It's time to talk shit. Because God knows your franchise has been so successful with your amazing one Super Bowl appearance and three playoff appearances since 1987.
Big things have small beginnings.

8sLgh.jpg

Milchjon

So from what I'm reading it looks like Tavon Wilson might be slowly taking Gregory his job. After the second TD by the Bills TE, Wilson was on the field instead of Gregory.

Would be interesting to see how he does, can't be much worse than how Gregory has played so far.

If you inclede Bolden, this draft is really shaping up to be one of the better ones in recent memory.

Any news about Hightower's hammy yet?

So it seems odd to talk about the 2013 season but I did some digging on the Giants cap situation cause I'm bored and have nothing better to do at work. Specifically because of some of the players the team is expected to sign, the cap situation and I've noted a few times that the 2013 Giants will look very different than the team we're fielding today.

As of right now these are the players that will impact the cap the most:

Eli Manning: 23 Million
Corey Webster: 9.975 Million
Chris Snee: 8.7 Million
Chris Canty: 7.6 Million
Antrel Rolle: 9.2 Million
David Diehl: 7.4 Million
Justin Tuck: 5.6 Million
David Baas: 6.72 Million
Michael Boley: 5.65 Million
Mathias Kiwanuka: 5.1 Million
Ahmad Bradshaw: 5.25 Million

The bolded are players that I think will not be on the roster come 2013. The folks in italics will either need to take a pay cut or may have some of that salary converted to bonuses to make cap room.

The next two years are going to make for some tough decisions about who stays and who goes.

The team has the following up for contract in 2013:

Victor Cruz (technically becomes a restricted free agent after this season)
Kenny Phillips
Martellus Bennett (only on a one year contract at the moment)
Kevin Boothe (starting left guard)

In 2014:

Michael Boley
Justin Tuck
Linval Joseph
Hakeem Nicks

JPP is due for a contract in 2015 as well and that will likely be a massive impact if he keeps his level of play at the current standard.

Nah. Just direct is all and I don't mince words when I'm direct. You wanted to debate the minutia of how the Giants got into the playoffs. I have no interest because it's not going to change what is. I'll admit that it's bit of a pet peeve of mine when people go into the what could have or should have happened because it's meaningless when it's all said and done. Apologies if it came off as flustered or irate. Not the intention.
I'm not arguing minutia. I can't stand that either. I said pretty cut and dry that the Giants fall asleep and you said you didn't care cuz 2 Super Bowls. Which is fine, but that doesn't stop my original comment from being true.

Absolutely not and I agree with you. I would ask how much of it is on the coaching staff though, really? You can only motivate and drive a team so much. Some of that has to be on the players and the leaders in the locker room. I think at times, the Giants buy into their own press and that's when the team gets lax and think they're entitled to a win instead of actually fighting for it. "Oh it's the Redskins, we'll beat that team 99/100 times" - Antrel Rolle. STFU and play.

As good as Eli is in the fourth quarter, I actually think that's been somewhat bad for the defense. They honestly think he's going to bail them out at every turn (Tuck even said last night they expected to win when Eli took the field). It's great to have that confidence but man you can't allow a running back to gash you in a drive, show up to make a stop for a FG and then happily sit on the sidelines while expecting your QB to bail your ass out. THAT frustrates me more than anything.
Dude, like I said this happens to the Giants on an almost annual basis. If players are repeatedly doing something, the coaches should expect it and try to deter it. Yet the Giants brass seem to be blindsided by it every year.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Boston has some of the best schools in the country, I think you're being a bit disingenuous.

Or just making a joke and I'm terrible at sense of humor detection on the interwebs.

It's more that the ratio between Harvard types and Chowdaheads from Dorchester is like 1 to 10,000 so...yeah. It effectively ends up the same as any other major metropolitan city (except for some of the truly awful ones).

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yet the Giants brass seem to be blindsided by it every year.
The Giants brass actively preaches the opposite at every turn. You truthfully think Coughlin sits idly by and does nothing? Aside from hooking up electro-shock treatment to their nipples to jar them from looking flat - there's no clear answer to avoid it.;)

Truthfully, we're back to my original point though and I'll leave it here - I'm not as heavily concerned about it as you seem to be. When the team puts together a string of sub-.500 seasons and isn't actively in the playoff chase, I'll have more reason to question the methods of the staff and what they're getting out of the players.

Top Bottom