• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

Godslay

Banned
Sanchez gives the Jets the best opportunity to win.

Yeah okay.

That's the same thing Fox and company said about Orton prior to him being benched. If Sanchez has another bad game, I'm assuming he's going to have to take a seat. The Tebow contingent is just going to get louder and louder.

You're seriously going to mock our D when we contained Brady and completely shut down the top offense in the league going into our game? Funny how the Niners can blow against Minny and still have a top D but we don't get the same courtesy in a win. At least much of our lapse can be attributed to Dockett's absence, what's your excuse for losing to Minny when your constantly stating you're a SB contender?

LOOOOOL. I guess teams have to be perfect to be considered contenders? What is this college football? We beat Green Bay at Green Bay. We made the nfc championship game last year. Thats why we are still considered a SB contender. What did your team do last year to garner that attention? Get hot super late?

edit: I guess to sum this thought up is that I have nothing against the Cards other than that they are a division opponent. They are looking good so far but its still early and they still have a chance to blow up. They also haven't played us yet. And I don't think anyone here is going to say that the afc is tougher than the nfc.

Bowser

Matt Bryant’s field goal had given the Falcons a 30-28 lead with five seconds remaining, but they still had to defend one last play. After a touchback on the kickoff, Carolina took possession at its 20. Smith saw that the Falcons had only 10 players on the field — he would not identify the missing man — and was less than pleased.

Said Smith: “We were trying to finish the game. We were trying to get the right personnel. We didn’t have the right number of players.”

Fox cameras caught an angry Smith putting both hands on Hamilton’s arm and administering a slight shove. Said Smith: “I was on a tirade — that’s all. I did not push him. I was on a tirade and I threw my hands.”

Thinking quickly, Smith signaled for a timeout before Carolina could snap the ball, knowing full well the Falcons had used their final allotted timeout just after the two-minute warning. He also knew that NFL rules don’t levy a penalty when a team tries to call a timeout it doesn’t have.

The Falcons were able to send an 11th defender into the game while the officials were telling Smith he couldn’t have a timeout, which was his intention all along. “I was trying to get 11 guys on the field,” he said. “We didn’t have 11 guys.”

Mission accomplished.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-b...-sideline-tantrum-very-sorry-about-my-action/

While it likely didn't affect the outcome of the game, this really is bullshit. I don't see how you can't be penalized 5 or 10 yards for intentionally calling a TO you know you don't have so your team's mistake isn't taken advantage of by the opposing team.

MacAttack

Middle-Finger.gif

Shut your mouth I know at least FIVE people who were alive the last time the Leafs won the Cup.
I was being kind and didn't mention there were only five other teams in the league and those championships barely count.

Dragon

Banned
That's the same thing Fox and company said about Orton prior to him being benched. If Sanchez has another bad game, I'm assuming he's going to have to take a seat. The Tebow contingent is just going to get louder and louder.

Greg McElroy is probably better than both of them combined at this point.

Godslay

Banned
LOOOOOL. I guess teams have to be perfect to be considered contenders? What is this college football? We beat Green Bay at Green Bay. We made the nfc championship game last year. Thats why we are still considered a SB contender. What did your team do last year to garner that attention? Get hot super late?

Last year means dick. Arizona is getting the job done, and winning. They are just as much contenders (at least for the division) as SF is right now. It may not pan out for them long term, but you have to respect that they are getting the job done right now.

Possibly, but nobody gives a shit about McElroy.

DERP. I was just pointing out it was hypocritical to write off our defense for having a bad game (especially missing a key piece) while his team doesn't get the same treatment for actually losing a game to an inferior team. I didn't bother posting anything about SF when it happened because any idiot knows that it has no bearing on the the quality of the Niners. FMT likes to jump on every little thing that happens and act like it's a prime indicator. I know he's also trolling, but still going to call it out. Getting hot late is the best thing that can happen to your football team, ask the Giants. Also, getting hot super late has continued into being hot at the start of this season. I think it's more than a fluke at this point ffs.

cajunator

Banned
Nah. Just direct is all and I don't mince words when I'm direct. You wanted to debate the minutia of how the Giants got into the playoffs. I have no interest because it's not going to change what is. I'll admit that it's bit of a pet peeve of mine when people go into the what could have or should have happened because it's meaningless when it's all said and done. Apologies if it came off as flustered or irate. Not the intention.

Absolutely not and I agree with you. I would ask how much of it is on the coaching staff though, really? You can only motivate and drive a team so much. Some of that has to be on the players and the leaders in the locker room. I think at times, the Giants buy into their own press and that's when the team gets lax and think they're entitled to a win instead of actually fighting for it. "Oh it's the Redskins, we'll beat that team 99/100 times" - Antrel Rolle. Proceed to lose both games in 2011 to the Skins. STFU and play.

As good as Eli is in the fourth quarter, I actually think that's been somewhat bad for the defense. They honestly think he's going to bail them out at every turn (Tuck even said last night they expected to win when Eli took the field). It's great to have that confidence but man you can't allow a running back to gash you in a drive, show up to make a stop for a FG and then happily sit on the sidelines while expecting your QB to bail your ass out. THAT frustrates me more than anything.

This is why Brees has had a hard time lately (and in 07)
The defense is so awful, that it almost seems like everyone expects Brees to just bail everybody out. He has to almost throw three or four touchdowns every game just so that the Saints stay competitive. I think defenses are relying way too much on the offenses to bail them out in general. Theres no excuse for highly paid guys to let another team consistently walk down the field on them.

RBH

They wanted NHL games but Bettman rejected the contract cause he wanted to stay with NBC sports.

Fail on his part, he needs to go.
Nope, Bettman actually made the smart move. ESPN was only willing to give the NHL one game per week on fucking ESPN2 during the regular season. NBC offered more money and more games per week.

Even a Pats fan speaks the truth.

Nope, Bettman actually made the smart move. ESPN was only willing to give the NHL one game per week on fucking ESPN2 during the regular season. NBC offered more money and more games per week.

I remember the days of Wednesday night and Thursday night hockey. Those days were the best. Even on Saturdays they aired games on ABC. Fucking NBA and that nonsense.

Before the game starts and this place goes to shit, could ya'll be so kind to suggest me some music? Some old country/rock stuff would be real cool. Blues/Jazz would also be cool to expand my horizon and all.

Tamanon

Banned
Last year means dick. Arizona is getting the job done, and winning. They are just as much contenders (at least for the division) as SF is right now. It may not pan out for them long term, but you have to respect that they are getting the job done right now.

I agree. I just hate hearing how amazing they are. They are playing good but its early. That should go for any team.

DERP. I was just pointing out it was hypocritical to write off our defense for having a bad game (especially missing a key piece) while his team doesn't get the same treatment for actually losing a game to an inferior team. I didn't bother posting anything about SF when it happened because any idiot knows that it has no bearing on the the quality of the Niners. FMT likes to jump on every little thing that happens and act like it's a prime indicator. I know he's also trolling, but still going to call it out. Getting hot late is the best thing that can happen to your football team, ask the Giants. Also, getting hot super late has continued into being hot at the start of this season. I think it's more than a fluke at this point ffs.

Dude no one believed in the niners till we beat the Aints last year so I know where your coming from (also I'm an SF Giants fan and no one ever believes in us). The Cards Niners game will be good like usual. You just have to roll with the unbelievers cuz they will be there till you get to the playoffs and win. Look at the Falcons. Everyone is riding that bandwagon hard but we all know we will lose in the first round again.

Milchjon

Before the game starts and this place goes to shit, could ya'll be so kind to suggest me some music? Some old country/rock stuff would be real cool.

Nothing real interesting, but I love:

Kaw-Liga by Johnny Cash and Hank Williams (Jr?!?)
Silver Stallion and Highwayman by the Highwaymen
Jolene by Dolly Parton is a God tier song, and the cover by Laura Marlin and Mumford and Sons is very fine too.

JABEE

If anyone here has Netflix Instant Streaming, I urge you all to watch Freaks and Geeks. It is an outstanding show, but it only lasted one season. It is about the life of a group of geeks an burnouts in high school back in 1980. The writing is terrific and the acting is a phenomenal.

The music is really good too. I love that show. I wish it would have lasted a few more seasons.

This is why Brees has had a hard time lately (and in 07)
The defense is so awful, that it almost seems like everyone expects Brees to just bail everybody out. He has to almost throw three or four touchdowns every game just so that the Saints stay competitive. I think defenses are relying way too much on the offenses to bail them out in general. Theres no excuse for highly paid guys to let another team consistently walk down the field on them.

Your defense is terrible. Saints effectively got rid of all of the few playmakers they had. Roman Harper is finished, and nobody from their D-Line can get pressure. All of their linebackers are either on another team or injured/suspended.They couldn't help Brees even if they wanted to.

Gigglepoo

Didn't ESPN want to put them on ESPN3 or some shit that no one watches?

If I was him i'd rather be the flagship of a fledgling network.

edit: it was ESPN2 as RBH pointed out. Still.

Better to rule in heaven than serve in hell.

If you're on ESPN (even the lowly Deuce), the network will talk about you. They promote their products, so hockey would have gotten a higher position and longer segments on Sportscenter, which helps drive viewership. Being on NBC means hockey diehards had a chance to see nationally televised games, but ESPN could have expanded hockey's scope.

Yeah, ESPN was trying to give them the shaft. The move with NBC was the right one, but Bettman has frigged up just about everything else. Though I suppose the owners are the real problem.

Wrayfield

so i stumbled across this guy's youtube channel with almost every NFL Primetime Song ever used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo

he also put them up for download on his own site.

while he has the fan favorites, i have yet to find my favorite NFL Primetime song...it came out around the same time as song 6 on the list, but it is more up-tempo and uses guitars for the most part...i know some songs were kind of like the unofficial primetime themes for some teams, but i can't recall...

at least we can listen to awesome music.

Great! I was looking for a new ringtone.

Homeland is an awesome show.

Is Season 2 on yet? Really like the show.

I agree. I just hate hearing how amazing they are. They are playing good but its early. That should go for any team.

Dude no one believed in the niners till we beat the Aints last year so I know where your coming from (also I'm an SF Giants fan and no one ever believes in us). The Cards Niners game will be good like usual. You just have to roll with the unbelievers cuz they will be there till you get to the playoffs and win. Look at the Falcons. Everyone is riding that bandwagon hard but we all know we will lose in the first round again.

Where are you hearing people say we're amazing? I still see analysts struggling to say positive comments. The few times I've seen something on ESPN it has been awkward and forced and sounds like they are reading lines. You can tell we'll immediately be cast off the second we lose, no matter who it is to. Anyway, I'm used to people not giving us any respect during wins, same thing happened through the playoffs on our way to the SB. I don't really care, I think the Cards actually thrive on it. You can bet I'll call out bullshit spouted on this board though!

cajunator

Banned
Your defense is terrible. Saints effectively got rid of all of the few playmakers they had. Roman Harper is finished, and nobody from their D-Line can get pressure. All of their linebackers are either on another team or injured/suspended.They couldn't help Brees even if they wanted to.

It has been a case of extremely poor drafting on the defensive side. Most of them are first rounders too, which is why I said that the Saints seem to do better in the later rounds.
The jury is out on Cameron Jordan, although Akiem Hicks is a walk on with a ton of promise.
will Smith is still the only pass rusher we have thats worth a fuck and he doesn't always play 100%. Linebacker wise we still have Scott shanle for some reason and my favorite linebacker Scott Fujita is now a Brown. Lofton has shown flashes but hes all alone out there with no help and Vilma is suspended. We also dont have Chamberlain for the year and Hawthorne is busted up. We started WILL HERRING in the Green Bay game. do you know who that is? nobody does. then on the back end we have Pat Robinson who shows potential but hes not there yet. We got rid of Porter I guess because hes an injury liability but now they just throw opposite of Greer, who is our only good corner. Johnny Patrick is too raw right now. Not a lot of depth back there. Then as you said roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins, who has the skillset to work as safety but not the hands to make the interceptions. Its all either really young guys, busted guys, suspended guys, or underachievers like you said. Its atrocious. Not a single dominant playmaker in the whole defense.

They should rather give us a secondary guy. Our guys up front are fine.

I want Byrd! Give us him!

Nothing real interesting, but I love:

Kaw-Liga by Johnny Cash and Hank Williams (Jr?!?)
Silver Stallion and Highwayman by the Highwaymen
Jolene by Dolly Parton is a God tier song, and the cover by Laura Marlin and Mumford and Sons is very fine too.

The Highwayman sound real cool, gonna give that a more extensive listen.

Marshall tucker Band - fire on the mountain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhl4UW_gFfY

I actually had a 'Can't You See' by them, loved that song, but never really looked at more of their stuff. Great suggestion.

This is why I like YOU PEOPLE.

Yeah, ESPN was trying to give them the shaft. The move with NBC was the right one, but Bettman has frigged up just about everything else. Though I suppose the owners are the real problem.

NHL is too much into the old guard rowdy ruff way of thinking. They need to streamline the game and cut the crap goonism.

Why are they called America's Team when they have sucked for 20 years? I wouldnt be mad if they won a Super Bowl though.

Chicago > Dallas
Cutler >>>>>>> Romo

Nameless

Ehhh....I don't hate Collinsworth as much as a many of you but his QB-crush on Romo get's old fast. Hated Aikman as a player, but his swiftness to defecate on Tony Romo whenever he gets the chance is the main reason I like him as a color com. Fuck the Cowboys. There will be blood Bears-GAF.

#Youhavemysword.

Top Bottom