• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

gutshot

You know what rhymes with Flacco? MVP.

Untitled-1.jpg

It looks like he is getting blown in this picture. BaltimoreLarry, can you confirm?

squicken

So finally focusing on the Giants game...I just don't see how the Eagles win.

Reid is going to respond to any and all criticism about the lack of running by doing what he does...pass the ball. .

That's why he's a genius. The Giants will expect him to run the ball to counter the criticism, and to protect Vick. So he could confound them by throwing. Only NYG know he never runs the ball anyway, so they'll still play pass. Andy knows they know he'll still throw, and will throw anyway, just because

Wes

venison crêpe
As much sass as we give the Brownies, they always play divisional foes hard. In Pittsburgh games they go full on blood crazy.

Trent Richardson said yesterday )rightly or wrongly) that the team didn't really prepare properly for the Bills as they were all so keen to face the Ravens.

effzee

You think Reid will air it out? I've found that usually after he gets blistered by the fans and media for not running the ball, he tends to run it more the next game, but then eventually goes back to a pass-heavy offense. You saw this exact scenario play out the first three games of this season: pass-heavy in Cleveland, gets criticized, balanced attack vs Baltimore, then back to pass-heavy attack against Arizona.

I suspect they will lean on Shady quite a bit in this game, especially early with all the energy in the building from Dawkins' ceremony, and I think they can eek out a win.

Reid IMO doesn't listen to outside criticism much at all. YES he will run more but how can you not rush the ball more than 4 times in the first half like they did against the Cards? It literally might be impossible to rush only 4 times with McCoy.

They might even use Shady more in the passing game. Against the Cardinals the screen play wasn't used at all and that has been one of our better run play schematically for years now.

Still I expect him to come out passing. His philosophy has always been to come and get his QB going. He used to do it with McNabb too regardless of how the OLINE or the QB himself is playing. He wants his QB to get hot quick, put up some points, and then run the ball.

Lets see if Vick, OLINE, and WRs answer the call.

Shady has averaged 106 yards a game against the Giants in the last 6 outings. Reid will run the ball against the Giants.

That must be rushing + passing yards. Ideally I would like to see McCoy get 12-16 carries in the first half alone barring any huge deficit (2 scores or more). They carry 4 RBs on the roster and barely use any of them.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I hope he gets loads more touches tonight and that Cameron plays. Watson has been unspectacular at TE thusfar.

I'm really excited about Cameron, if he can learn to block at an adequate level he should be out there a lot more.

But seriously TRich needs touches, 3 of our 5 offensive touchdowns have come from him.

Reid IMO doesn't listen to outside criticism much at all. YES he will run more but how can you not rush the ball more than 4 times in the first half like they did against the Cards? It literally might be impossible to rush only 4 times with McCoy.

They might even use Shady more in the passing game. Against the Cardinals the screen play wasn't used at all and that has been one of our better run play schematically for years now.

The Eagles did run one screen but the Cards blew it up in the backfield and tackled Shady for a loss. He wasnt more involved in the passing game because they kept him into block on almost every single play. Cards sent extra rushers almsot every play in the 1st half so the Eagles had to keep someone into block and they liked the matchup between Celek and the Lb's better.

effzee said:
That must be rushing + passing yards.
Some stats (from Pat Traina):

- QB Eli Manning has 200+ pass yards in 22 consecutive games, which ties him for 2nd longest streak in NFL history.
- Bennett has 3 games with a TD reception; Boley has 3 games with an INT. so who's next in trying to notch his 3rd game doing something good? That would be RB Andre Brown, who is looking to score in his third straight game.
- JPP has 3 sacks in past 2 meetings vs. Philly.
- Tom Coughlin is 11-7 vs the Eagles
- Last time the Giants and Eagles met, Philly allowed NY just 29 yards rushing.
- Giants D will need to shut down J. Maclin, who aims for 5th game in a row with TD or 100+ yards.
- DE Jason Babin has 10.5 sacks in past 8 games. He's looking for his 3rd game in row vs. NYG with sack.
- LeSeasn Mccoy has averaged 106yds/game rushing vs the Giants in the past 6 meetings

LOL wow

Stephen A Smith calling a Cam Newton cartoon of him showing a hello kitty shirt racist

I just can't.

Edit. In the end he just said everything he just said isn't what he means, lol oh Stephen A

effzee

The Eagles did run one screen but the Cards blew it up in the backfield and tackled Shady for a loss. He wasnt more involved in the passing game because they kept him into block on almost every single play. Cards sent extra rushers almsot every play in the 1st half so the Eagles had to keep someone into block and they liked the matchup between Celek and the Lb's better.

The whole point is how do you adjust? McCoy isn't a terrible blitz pickup RB though far inferior to what Westbrook used to do. Plus McCoy is far too talented to keep in for protection the whole game. Get him out in the flats for a quick dump off to counter the blitz and protect Vick with keeping Celek, Havili, and Harbor at the line. Go to a 2 TE set if you need to.

And the problem with Reid is one bad running play for a loss, fumble, or bad screen play leads him to abandon it completely. Its almost as if he is waiting for the running game to fail so he has no reason to even think about it.

Hell at least line up in a non shot gun formation more with McCoy to give the allusion you might run the ball. And for the love of god when your OLINE can't protect do not...I REPEAT DO NOT call a play action deep developing play on a THIRD AND NINE!!!

Bowser

Details on the refs labor deal:

- Game officials’ compensation will increase from an average of $149,000 a year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, rising to $205,000 by 2019.
- Beginning with 2013 season, NFL will have option of hiring a number of officials on full-time basis to work year-round, including on field.
- New deal is an eight-year term covering 2012-2019 seasons
- Current defined benefit pension plan will remain in place for current officials through 2016 season (or until official earns 20 years of service). Defined benefit plan will then be frozen.
- Retirement benefits will be provided for new hires, and for all officials beginning in 2017, through a defined contribution arrangement, which will have two elements: an annual league contribution made on behalf of each game official that will begin with an average of more than $18,000 per official and increase to more than $23,000 per official in 2019, and a partial match on any additional contribution that an official makes to his 401(k) account.

These details really do make me think the bench that the league wanted was the true issue. It seems the refs didn't have to give up all that much on the pension issue - yes, they're losing defined-benefit after 2016, but they're getting a hybrid defined-benefit + 401(k) partial match, which is pretty damn good for a part time job. And all new refs hired between now and 2016 get to start with the defined-benefit plan instead of just a 401(k).

Wrayfield

And for the love of god when your OLINE can't protect do not...I REPEAT DO NOT call a play action deep developing play on a THIRD AND NINE!!!

That always drive me crazy when someone calls that. It's like Madden call suggestions in the game, it makes no sense. No one is gonna fall for the fake, just line up in a passing formation and do it.

For those that missed it, the full "A Football Life" Tom Coughlin episode has been posted in 4 parts on the Giants.com website (under recent videos):

http://www.giants.com/

Thanks, love those things.

Bowser

RG3 didn't know it was legal to get hit on option fakes/handoffs

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been hit a lot in his first three NFL games, and he has complained about some of those hits. But Griffin says that after making his complaints, he learned that the hits he takes aren’t all against the rules.

Griffin said that he was under the impression that when he gives up the ball on option plays, the defense isn’t allowed to hit him. But coach Mike Shanahan explained to him that if he is continuing to run as if he has the ball, the defense is allowed to tackle him as if he has the ball.

“I thought they were not legal hits but coach informed me that technically they can hit me,” Griffin said. “Even on keepers, they can hit you if you’re carrying out your fake. I didn’t know that so I guess I’ll be running with my arms up a lot more, letting them know, ‘Hey, I don’t have the ball. Please hit me if you want to get a 15-yard penalty.’”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...i-know-when-its-legal-for-defenses-to-hit-me/

:jnc

effzee

Some stats (from Pat Traina):

- QB Eli Manning has 200+ pass yards in 22 consecutive games, which ties him for 2nd longest streak in NFL history.
- Bennett has 3 games with a TD reception; Boley has 3 games with an INT. so who's next in trying to notch his 3rd game doing something good? That would be RB Andre Brown, who is looking to score in his third straight game.

- JPP has 3 sacks in past 2 meetings vs. Philly.
- Tom Coughlin is 11-7 vs the Eagles
- Last time the Giants and Eagles met, Philly allowed NY just 29 yards rushing.
- Giants D will need to shut down J. Maclin, who aims for 5th game in a row with TD or 100+ yards.
- DE Jason Babin has 10.5 sacks in past 8 games. He's looking for his 3rd game in row vs. NYG with sack.
- LeSeasn Mccoy has averaged 106yds/game rushing vs the Giants in the past 6 meetings

The bold part scares me a lot. Eli is operating on another level right now, especially since we don't see this till the playoffs from him usually and its not just the WRs but the TE now too. Hopefully Ryans and or Kendricks can keep up with Bennet.

We will need to get a lot of pressure in on Eli from our front four which is possible. We also need Nnamdi and DRC to have great games.

It is going to be awesome when the Steelers beat him for the 3rd time in the championship game.

Who are you kidding here? Steelers will be sitting at home come playoffs together with the Patriots, Packers and Saints. 2012 is here, the Bills and Bengals rule the AFC now.

Bowser said:
These details really do make me think the bench that the league wanted was the true issue.
Yep. Should be noted the NFL is paying for those bench refs. It doesn't come out of the current ref "pool". That will change as refs are graduated out of the bench and into standard rotation which will grow the pool as needed.

effzee

That always drive me crazy when someone calls that. It's like Madden call suggestions in the game, it makes no sense. No one is gonna fall for the fake, just line up in a passing formation and do it.

Exactly. I see dumb Madden ignore that suggestion from "ask Madden". Yet a supposed offensive/qb guru HC and his staff actually called that against the Cards D down three scores in the fourth quarter. I just couldn't believe it. Vick of course was plastered.

gutshot

Still I expect him to come out passing. His philosophy has always been to come and get his QB going. He used to do it with McNabb too regardless of how the OLINE or the QB himself is playing. He wants his QB to get hot quick, put up some points, and then run the ball.

Lets see if Vick, OLINE, and WRs answer the call.

That must be rushing + passing yards. Ideally I would like to see McCoy get 12-16 carries in the first half alone barring any huge deficit (2 scores or more). They carry 4 RBs on the roster and barely use any of them.

It seems that his MO has changed recently. He used to just ignore all the criticism and just keep passing, but I feel like he's started to listen to his critics more in recent years. We shall see.

And we did run screens against the Cards. Four of them, in fact, two to McCoy, one to Celek and one to Avant. One was a sack, one was stopped for no gain and the other two went a total of 4 yards. These aren't the Runyan, Westbrook and McNabb days anymore. The current squad sucks at running screens.

effzee

It seems that his MO has changed recently. He used to just ignore all the criticism and just keep passing, but I feel like he's started to listen to his critics more in recent years. We shall see.

And we did run screens against the Cards. Four of them, in fact, two to McCoy, one to Celek and one to Avant. One was a sack, one was stopped for no gain and the other two went a total of 4 yards. These aren't the Runyan, Westbrook and McNabb days anymore. The current squad sucks at running screens.

There should never be a screen play to Avant. He has no speed. Celek at least can bulldoze his way through some arm tackles.

But I don't even remember four of being called. Maybe because they all failed.

And while this offense no longer has Westbrook and that once great line, they still can throw a real good screen pass. They were great at it the last two seasons.

effzee

So how long till we start complaining about the real refs. Ed hoculoili test be damned

We always have and will complain about the refs. The issue was never that the real refs never miss a call or make bad judgement calls. But they at least know the rules, don't need to conference for 10 minutes after every stoppage, and don't make as many big mistakes as these replacement refs were per game.

The whole point is how do you adjust? McCoy isn't a terrible blitz pickup RB though far inferior to what Westbrook used to do. Plus McCoy is far too talented to keep in for protection the whole game. Get him out in the flats for a quick dump off to counter the blitz and protect Vick with keeping Celek, Havili, and Harbor at the line. Go to a 2 TE set if you need to.

And the problem with Reid is one bad running play for a loss, fumble, or bad screen play leads him to abandon it completely. Its almost as if he is waiting for the running game to fail so he has no reason to even think about it.

Hell at least line up in a non shot gun formation more with McCoy to give the allusion you might run the ball. And for the love of god when your OLINE can't protect do not...I REPEAT DO NOT call a play action deep developing play on a THIRD AND NINE!!!

Cards were stacking 8 or 9 guys in the box and blitzing every down. Adam Caplan had a good break down of the game on Eagles Liv this week but he said if they had tried to run against those fronts it was just wasting plays. He also said the Eagles had a lot of plays wee the first read should have been a slant or something in the flats but Vick kept looking down the field trying to make big plays. I totally disagree with you about putting Vick under center. The Cards were blitzing the A gap and the new center kept whiffing on blocks. Vick would have just been sacked quicker if he was under center. Eagles should have ran more draws though, and those are the plays that set up the 3rd and 9 play action to be successful.

effzee

Cards were stacking 8 or 9 guys in the box and blitzing every down. Adam Caplan had a good break down of the game on Eagles Liv this week but he said if they had tried to run against those fronts it was just wasting plays. He also said the Eagles had a lot of plays wee the first read should have been a slant or something in the flats but Vick kept looking down the field trying to make big plays. I totally disagree with you about putting Vick under center. The Cards were blitzing the A gap and the new center kept whiffing on blocks. Vick would have just been sacked quicker if he was under center. Eagles should have ran more draws though, and those are the plays that set up the 3rd and 9 play action to be successful.

Wasted plays? I still rather take my chances running McCoy where he can make a move or two to break the big run than have Vick drop back that much relying on him to make the right decisions.

verbum

Don't feel bad for them. I feel like 70% sure that Richardson will kill us this year and they will split with us. Beating the Steelers is their SB. They have only done it once in the past 8 years.

Unlike the Broncos to whom it is becoming routine.

Top Bottom