• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

gutshot

There should never be a screen play to Avant. He has no speed. Celek at least can bulldoze his way through some arm tackles.

But I don't even remember four of being called. Maybe because they all failed.

And while this offense no longer has Westbrook and that once great line, they still can throw a real good screen pass. They were great at it the last two seasons.

Here is the tape. There may have actually been five screens called, the fifth one is debatable.

0:38 - screen to McCoy - 6 yd gain
0:57 - screen to Avant - sack
2:35 - screen to McCoy - no gain
2:55 - screen to Celek - 3 yd gain
5:45 - screen to McCoy? - sack (looked like it could have been a screen, but the play was blown up so quickly it's hard to know for sure)

The one to Celek really highlights how shitty our O-line is. Both Reynolds and Watkins are in position to make the blocks to potentially spring Celek for a big gain and both completely whiff.

effzee

Here is the tape. There may have actually been five screens called, the fifth one is debatable.

5:45 - screen to McCoy? - sack (looked like it could have been a screen, but the play was blown up so quickly it's hard to know for sure)

The one to Celek really highlights how shitty our O-line is. Both Reynolds and Watkins are in position to make the blocks to potentially spring Celek for a big gain and both completely whiff.

Watkins won me over somewhat last year. I wasn't too thrilled with drafting a guard with the first overall pick.

Still even with his improved play the line overall stinks. Watkins might have just had one bad play. To be honest though I haven't focused too much on him this season.

Anyway some FF questions.

Fred Jackson over DeAngelo Williams? With Spiller out I want to put in Jackson.
Erick Decker or DJAX?

Losing Kelce really hurt Watkins against the Cards. You could see him try to help the center a few times and his man would just blow through. He isnt good enough to give help and Reynolds is so bad that he needs help every play. Eagle better pray he improves quick or it is going to be long season.

gutshot

More shitty screen play from the Eagles. McCoy is no Westbrook, when it comes to field vision.

6a00d8341c248053ef017ee3c8ffda970d-800wi

Instead of following the yellow line, where there are a line of blockers and tons of green, he cuts it inside. I love Shady, but he too often tries to cut it back when he doesn't need to.

effzee

More shitty screen play from the Eagles. McCoy is no Westbrook, when it comes to field vision.

6a00d8341c248053ef017ee3c8ffda970d-800wi

Instead of following the yellow line, where there are a line of blockers and tons of green, he cuts it inside. I love Shady, but he too often tries to cut it back when he doesn't need to.

Agreed. He is way too much in love with cutting back. Sometimes it works and needed but he just does it every play.

Though in that screen cap if he can cut back properly he also has a lot of room there too.

Fox318

LOL wow

Stephen A Smith calling a Cam Newton cartoon of him showing a hello kitty shirt racist

I just can't.

Edit. In the end he just said everything he just said isn't what he means, lol oh Stephen A

First take was much better with out him.

Skip is an idiot but sometimes he has a point and its good to have people who have common sense and a brain next to skip. When you have crazy vs crazy every show its just stupid.

Fox318

Are people really upset with Rex saying that Davis is the best TE in the league?

The only person who may be better is Tony Gonzalez.

Let's be real here. Ryan Clark can't handle the Jesus air, their team has been busted up each time we play them, and they aren't getting any younger.

Everyone keeps saying this....because of injuries, the D they put on the field against the Raiders consisted of 7 guys 30 or under, 6 of whom are 27 or under. They're not sucking cause they're old, they're sucking because the guys they drafted to replace the old guys can't play. That, and Lebeau's schemes are becoming old hat.

Grantland has a good read on the zone blitz, its origins and implementation in todays NFL.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8428129/dick-lebeau-evolution-coverage-tactics-zone-blitz

What makes the zone blitz successful is that it allows the defense to bring outside linebackers and safeties to one side or both sides without using man-to-man blitz coverage. Normal blitzes use man-to-man coverage. The offensive line and one or two backs are assigned to block the defensive line and linebackers. In the zone blitz, the linebacker blitzes along with a secondary player, but the offensive pickup is different. It is different because defensive linemen who usually rush are now dropping out to short inside zones to replace the linebacker and secondary player that blitz. Because of the blitzer's path, it is difficult for the offensive linemen to adjust.

LeBeau had clearly come to the right man. Not only was Arnsparger employing the types of tactics at the college level that LeBeau wanted to bring to the pros, but — true to form — Arnsparger had thought through the entire theory of the tactic as well. "Bill's catchphrase was that he wanted to get 'safe pressure,' on the quarterback," LeBeau told Layden. "And that expression stuck with me because that was a very succinct way to summarize exactly what I was looking for. Safe pressure. I walked out the door saying those words to myself."

Instead, offenses tried to find ways to counteract it. "I always felt that we contributed greatly to the development of the run-and-shoot offense," said LeBeau. "Teams were just looking for quicker and quicker ways to attack, to the point where it might not even matter where the pressure was coming from." He's right. The run-and-shoot offense, as well as later iterations of spread offenses, arose in a world replete with zone blitzes, and much of their design centered on identifying and exploiting any weaknesses those blitzes left.

Seemed apt considering the subject of Lebeau's schemes were being discussed. I think the defensive struggles for Pittsburgh have more to do with the personnel issues than scheme.

Spinluck

Well, I can't wait till Rodgers wipes his ass with out secondary, hopefully that line of his stays shitty cause the Frathis is back. Unfortunately we won't we won't have the refs to give us the game this week. LOLSEATTLE. That was still an interesting game to watch though.

Zeke

Dude looks sick out there. Cowboys should have started him over Jason Whittenhispants but that would have broken up the cowboy frat.
Marty B was a lazy sack of shit in dallas if he had spent more time actually making plays and putting in work instead of trying to become youtube famous he might have been able to start over witten.

Striker

Dude looks sick out there. Cowboys should have started him over Jason Whittenhispants but that would have broken up the cowboy frat.
QB and system is helping him a lot. I'm still somewhat weary on his consistency, but he's been better than I've expected so far.

Top Bottom