• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

Doorman

Just overheard on the radio that Jahvid Best still has not been cleared to play following tests for the concussion he incurred literally A YEAR AGO. Can we just say his career is over and move on?

I have no idea where all of this alcohol talk came out of, but fwiw I'll take a good Octoberfest-style beer or a nice single malt scotch any day. Glenmorangie and Aberlour A'bunadh being the recent favorites of the latter.

My choice of beverages:

P91Mzl.jpg

All that Dew will kill you.

Bowser

This past summer I got to drink some Johnnie Walker Blue at my cousin's wedding...now THAT is some smooth scotch.

One of my idiot uncles mixed it with Coke because he didn't like the taste. I was just like:

pRrLr.gif

Tom Penny

This past summer I got to drink some Johnnie Walker Blue at my cousin's wedding...now THAT is some smooth scotch.

One of my idiot uncles mixed it with Coke because he didn't like the taste. I was just like:

pRrLr.gif

That's what you get for drinking that cheap swine.

Hell is reserved for pedos, people who fuck with good scotch, or put ketchup on steak.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Cherry Coke Zero is my beverage of choice.

Or when I get by sonic, I'll get a Route 44 Diet Coke w/ Cherry and Vanilla...

Still haven't figured out why "chocolate" is a good flavor for any drink at sonic.

eznark

Banned
Johnny loves to dance behind the line of scrimmage. I kind of like him though, he's got some moves. Think I like every runningback, lol.

I think Saine was only in for one snap and to my knowledge had zero carries this year. Signing is purely emergency.

wienke said:
Cherry Coke Zero is my beverage of choice.
I used to drink a ton of regular Cherry Coke but post-30 I might as well have been pissing soup from the amount of sugar. I can't do it anymore which sucks since I love Cherry Coke. :(

Milchjon

I love Mountain Dew. I mostly drink water over here, but in the US, it's Mountain Dew all day. I don't even know why, it doesn't even taste extraordinary in any way.

Strangest stuff I tried recently was Moxie. Freakshow in my mouth.

I'll just cross my fingers that the giants get the 1 seed and get eliminated by a shitty wildcard like the bears or eagles or whoever

Now we just study this week's film of both the Vikings and Niners getting blown out and try to carbon copy it for the next two weeks. I was at our game so not sure what you guys did poorly but do it again!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This is the nectar of the gods

Chilled for a little bit in the freezer... GAWD DAMN!

shP3P.jpg

If you told me that was Carbonated French Piss...

I would say Delicious, may I have more

RBH

pRrLr.gif
Nothing like some straight Johnnie Walker Black at a wedding to set the mood right.

I've actually never tried Blue before.

Best is done.

Did he ever call your plays though? Was he ever put in a position where he was in complete control of the offense? Just curious. Juan went from the defensive coordinator, to his role being reduced and "some" playcalling being handed to Todd Bowles from what I've read to now the possibility of having no play calling duties at all and being used as a scapegoat for the Eagles problems. Apples to oranges comparison.
I guess so, sure. I agree with you. My main issue is that the fault lies with Reid not Juan. It just shows how shitty a decision it was to entrust coordinator duties along with play calling to a first year guy in the first place. Considering the learning curve I'd say Juan has done well. I'm sure eventually he'll be pretty good if he ever gets a shot. This just reinforces how badly Reid handled that transition. Reid is just like McCarthy; he wants to be hands off with the D and let the coordinator do his thing. When it was time to pick his own coordinator, since he just inherited Bob Sanders, McCarthy went with a vet and handed him the defensive reigns. Reids done the opposite. As an offensive minded HC how do you make that decision?

He benefited from Johnson and since then its been year after year of failures and project coaches on D in spite of the player talent. Although McDermott was logical it was the safe choice. People focus a lot of their ire on mistakes HCs make on the field but I always think these off field ones are much more far-reaching. Of course Reid gets shit on for those too ;)

In the end he's just not a good HC, so you're lucky. McCarthy isn't some master mind but he's smart enough to surround himself with smart guys (and Kevin Greene ).

cashman

Banned
I've managed to pretty much cut soda out of my life, but I've replaced it with sweet tea so I don't think that tea is all that much better.

Also, I've always wanted to try Johnnie Walker. My dad got some a while back and I never did steal any.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've managed to pretty much cut soda out of my life, but I've replaced it with sweet tea so I don't think that tea is all that much better.

Also, I've always wanted to try Johnnie Walker. My dad got some a while back and I never did steal any.

This is like some southern albatross, I didn't even know it existed until I moved down to Florida. I'll never understand why people ruin perfectly good tea by drowning it in sugar. So bizarre.

Fox318

Just stay away from red bull.

effzee

Suppose I'll move it here for the new page:

Looks like Juan Castillo could have play calling duties taken away from him and Andy plans to "tear things apart" during the bye week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...id-ready-to-tear-things-apart-in-philadelphia

I love the fact that Castillo is getting the blame to the point where he's losing his job here while Vick continues to hand the other team the ball consistently and Andy keeps hoping and praying that will change.

First of all everyone can get the blame.

Vick with his turnovers.
Shitty OLINE play
Lack of a running game (btw did you hear McCoy isn't a good RB now?)

BUT it all piles up because outside of the offense there isn't much being down by the D and or special teams.

Our coverage units are terrible. You saw that firsthand against the Giants. And then our own returners are even worse. We never get good or great starting field position. Its always a touchback or even worse.

And the D can't be completely allowed escape free of criticism. Last season they were up giving up points, they at least had 50 sacks and were constantly pressuring the QB which led to poor throws and INTs. This year? 7 sacks in 6 games. No sacks in the last 3 games. Very little turnovers forced.

And now these past two weeks the D has given up a lead in the fourth quarter. And that is total of 7 blown leads over the last two seasons. So how can Juan and the D not get some if not a lot of the blame? In the Steelers game ok it was a 1 point game so I don't expect them completely shut down the Steelers, but Ben got the ball with 6 minutes to go. The Eagles never got the ball, D never got off the field, and the Steelers hit a game winning FG with 0 seconds left on the clock. For all his turnovers and mistakes Vick brought the team back, got the lead, and then the D let the Steelers use up the final 6 minutes.

Yesterday the Eagles had a 10 point lead in the fourth. D gives up a quick 80 yard TD drive. Eagles come right back and score (with very little time taken off the clock). So now the Eagles again lead by 10 with 5 minutes to go. What does the D do? GIVE UP ANOTHER QUICK 80 YARDS DRIVE. So why shouldn't Juan and his bunch get some of the blame? Vick turned it over 3 times (though one was a snap that he wasn't even ready for and went over his head), but he brought the team back again and they had a 10 point lead twice in the 4th quarter!

See even with his mistakes, the offense is playing well enough to win. The D is playing well enough to keep it close, but none of the units are excelling at any one part of the game so its much more pressure for each unit to come up big. And it seems like when the offense finally clicks the D disappears. When the D is playing well the offense is settling for FGs.

Its a combination of all three phases not playing well. Obviously Vick is turning it over way too much but that can be fixed with a scheme change that relies heavily on running the ball, ball control, and clock management. But Reid knows none of that. Then he brought back Juan for a 2nd straight season when the expectations are SB, his job is on the line, and Juan never proved last year that he was capable of running the D.

He could have avoided all this by firing Juan, hiring Bowles as the DC, and changing his own offensive game plan. He did none. Its the same offense that they have been running over and over which used to be covered up by McNabb, who for all his limitations was not a turnover machine, and a very strong D. Now they don't have any of that.

Juan, Reid, and Marty all need to be on the hot seat far before the players. If this is supposed to be a SB team and the owner has said playoffs or you are fired, then you can't bench Vick for a rookie who only looked good in preseason. And you can't blame him for everything especially on top of his own mistakes the OLINE absolutely stinks.

Right now what I actually am afraid of is the Eagles somehow squeezing into the playoffs as a wild card team only to lose in the first round which means Reid keeps his job. If this team isn't a top dominant team, then I just want them to miss the playoffs again so their is a regime change top to bottom including the GM.

There is enough young talent here that they don't need to completely rebuild from the ground up. They just need a competent coaching staff. Hell I wonder how much better this team would be with a coach like Harbaugh who seems to get the most out of limited talent.

This is like some southern albatross, I didn't even know it existed until I moved down to Florida. I'll never understand why people ruin perfectly good tea by drowning it in sugar. So bizarre.

Sweet tea is totally amazing in the summer. I don't drink coffee so "regular" tea is my drink of choice but sweet teas are great too.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

pRrLr.gif

I'll be real. I had scotch for the first time back in February when my buddy got a job at Google. I absolutely hated it.

I think as I get older I may acquire the taste (I hope).

Doorman

I'll be real. I had scotch for the first time back in February when my buddy got a job at Google. I absolutely hated it.

It seems to take a particular sort of mindset to really get the most out of it. Of course it also depends on whether what you got was actually good stuff or not.

This time a year ago I had no real interest in scotch-drinking at all. Then I found the single malt whisky thread here on GAF, and now I have a decent five-bottle collection going and it's quickly escalated to my drink of choice.

effzee

I guess so, sure. I agree with you. My main issue is that the fault lies with Reid not Juan. It just shows how shitty a decision it was to entrust coordinator duties along with play calling to a first year guy in the first place. Considering the learning curve I'd say Juan has done well. I'm sure eventually he'll be pretty good if he ever gets a shot. This just reinforces how badly Reid handled that transition. Reid is just like McCarthy; he wants to be hands off with the D and let the coordinator do his thing. When it was time to pick his own coordinator, since he just inherited Bob Sanders, McCarthy went with a vet and handed him the defensive reigns. Reids done the opposite. As an offensive minded HC how do you make that decision?

He benefited from Johnson and since then its been year after year of failures and project coaches on D in spite of the player talent. Although McDermott was logical it was the safe choice. People focus a lot of their ire on mistakes HCs make on the field but I always think these off field ones are much more far-reaching. Of course Reid gets shit on for those too ;)

In the end he's just not a good HC, so you're lucky. McCarthy isn't some master mind but he's smart enough to surround himself with smart guys (and Kevin Greene ).

Agree with you 100% and I do feel bad for Juan. By all accounts he is a great man who has been with the organization since before Reid came over. Of course he wouldn't turn down the job but to this day I am perplexed as to how or why he even became a candidate for D?

JJ passed away and they turned the D over to their LB coach McDermott. Ok safe move and there were a lot of expectations. His D was terrible and they underperformed. But here is the dirty little secret. That D that he inherited was lacking talent.

They either traded away or let key veteran players leave through FA. They replaced guys like Sheldon Brown and Dawkins with rookies who never should have started and were picked apart. The LB corps was absolutely the worst in the league as a result of poor drafting and outright neglect over the years.

The DLINE was terrible against the run and they only had 1 pass rusher in Cole. So they got rid of both McDermott and infused tons of FAs after the lockout. They had to sign many FAs cause the defensive drafts have been so poor over the past 5 years.

But for some odd reason they turned all that talent over to a JUAN. An OLINE coach who never ever coached any defense on the pro level. In fact he only coached D as a LB coach back at a HS level. WHY? WHY IN THE WORLD DID REID TURN THE D OVER TO HIM? Its an absolute slap in the face of actual defensive minds who spent years crafting schemes coaching D. Its so easy that apparently an OLINE coach can do it! And then after he did fail, the D gave up 5 fourth quarter leads, they go ahead and bring him back. The DLINE coach calls the line assignments, the DB coach handles the playcalling apparently, and Juan is somehow the DC.

This whole mess is on Reid though. He has say in personnel, his coaching staff, and the offense is love child.

90% of my beverage intake is water.

The rest is Arnold Palmer Zero and alcohol when the mood strikes.

I was a Diet Coke addict but since drinking a liter or more a day probably isn't good for you I'm going with the water.

Fair enough.

But I'd say there's a wine out there for you.
Just need to try a bunch and find what you like.

She's determined to find one that we can both drink. I've been to a few wine tastings with her and there's been a couple I could tolerate. It's funny when the wine servers start describing the different varieties, I swear, they might as well be speaking Cantonese to me.

90% of my beverage intake is water.

The rest is Arnold Palmer Zero and alcohol when the mood strikes.

Good man, I'm an Arnold Palmer guy. Go to drink at every restaurant but I prefer the Half when I get it from the grocery store. Zero is tolerable but a noticeable hit in flavor.

As for liquor, Whiskey all the way. Prefer red ales for beer, Kiltlifter my usual.

Bowser

Definitely an acquired taste, IMO...took me several years to even start liking any type of liquor on the rocks. Nowadays it's bourbon or scotch either on the rocks or with a splash of club soda

Nori Chan

You know what the first drink I bought was when I was 21?

Vitamin water. Fuck alcohol, straight edge motherfuckers :| :| :|

also you people you alcoholic people

Top Bottom