• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

Yup! But like me and bionic have been saying for three years, sucking is the best way to win the Super Bowl so maybe you guys will finally get one now.

Texans and Falcons on the other hand are doomed unless they can get a couple key guys injured.

Grimes is gone, who else do we need to lose?

Bowser

Someone should tell Charles that while coaches certainly coach, a GM has to give that coach a team that's worth a damn. Spending 50 million dollars on two running backs that you barely use? Not exactly intelligent management of a roster.

Not to mention, how much is Johnson collecting on that paycheck of his that Hurney gave him?

I agree that CJ should keep his mouth shut, but I think Hurney has provided enough talent, certainly enough so that the team should not be 1-5 at this point in the season. Couple what Cam said about "same script, same director" and CJ's words here, I really don't think this coaching staff has a hold of the players anymore. Chud's read-option bullshit is destroying Cam, the o-line, and the RBs. I really hope the coaching staff is gone at the end of the season.

Bowser said:
Chud's read-option bullshit is destroying Cam, the o-line, and the RBs.
What's interesting is that last season he was a head coaching candidate for the "brilliance" of that same scheme. What changed?

Tom Penny

Someone should tell Charles that while coaches certainly coach, a GM has to give that coach a team that's worth a damn. Spending 50 million dollars on two running backs that you barely use? Not exactly intelligent management of a roster.

Not to mention, how much is Johnson collecting on that paycheck of his that Hurney gave him?

Never seen a team pay that kind of money for mediocrity at the RB position. Straight incompetence.

Mrbob

I hope the Bears can at least get off to a fast start tonight. They've only scored 13 points in the first quarter all season while being second overall in the NFL in FMTs favorite stat: points per game at 29.8!

Not looking forward to Detroit getting crushed tonight :(

Special teams = awful
Stafford and the Lions' offense for the first 3 quarters = awful
Down to 3 cornerbacks, 2 of which aren't starters = awful

Bears blowout incoming.

So you are expecting the Lions to be one step closer to a Super Bowl victory after tonight's game.

bionic77

wow. Dem pushup bras work wonders. Wonder how it would work for my gf who already has decent size.

watch me work
Your dick is going to disappointed when she takes it off.

So I was talking to my wife about the Bengals game. She went to bed at halftime and I was explaining some of things that happened and went over some of the adjustments and failures and things that annoyed me and she interrupted me and said "look, it's nice that you want the Wisconsin guys to play well and win games but they are Bengals now, so you probably care more than they do" I argued with her for a bit and she just threw up her hands and walked away saying "Honey, losers lose"

I think some of you guys (LJ, Kave, Bob, Slo, all of Detroit) need to remember those two simple words. It will make your lives easier. There is just no help for it.

Losers lose.
I told you the same thing about the Bungles so many times.

They just lose baby. Never ever buy into their hype until they get new ownership. The Cards somehow got around shitty ownership when they lucked into Warner, but I can't even see that ever happening to the Bungles.

eznark

Banned
Your dick is going to disappointed when she takes it off.

I told you the same thing about the Bungles so many times.

They just lose baby. Never ever buy into their hype until they get new ownership. The Cards somehow got around shitty ownership when they lucked into Warner, but I can't even see that ever happening to the Bungles.

I know, it just never sank in. I apologize friend.

That offensive line should be stellar. They had a lot of talent. And they were going up against garbage. Still go clowned. Obviously most of that pressure came up the middle since the Bengals were starting a center the size of Drew Brees but man. Stunning turnaround after that first drive of dominance.

105/100 on my exam.

fyeah.jpg

tmdorsey

100%. If the Packers don't find a way to lose next Sunday I am very concerned about their ability to win fewer than 12 games. If they win 11-12 they may as well just forfeit their playoff game.

Sunday at Jacksonville is the definition of a must-lose game for Green Bay.

Yeah I think 10 wins the most you can get and be a legit SB contender. Any more and you risk getting homefield and losing to some goober virgin or alleged rapist.

Better to play it safe and stay at a healthy 8-8 or 9-7. You don't look like some damn showoff and you also are going to be a huge favorite to win the Superbowl.

The madness has to stop sometime and I think this season may be the season it ends. If you go by this logic, you might as go on and say you want to see the Falcons in the first round since all teams who have met the Falcons in the playoffs have went to the Superbowl the past few years

bionic77

105/100 on my exam.

fyeah.jpg
Congrats dude.

Since you are a sconi I assume it was a basic spelling test or some sort of test of your ability to count and add, but what was the extra credit for? Was it for your remarkable ability to breathe out of your nose or did you get the usual bonus question right on the age of the Earth (i.e. 6,000 years old)? Or did you just draw an extra tight picture of Jesus next to your name?

So I was talking to my wife about the Bengals game. She went to bed at halftime and I was explaining some of things that happened and went over some of the adjustments and failures and things that annoyed me and she interrupted me and said "look, it's nice that you want the Wisconsin guys to play well and win games but they are Bengals now, so you probably care more than they do" I argued with her for a bit and she just threw up her hands and walked away saying "Honey, losers lose"

I think some of you guys (LJ, Kave, Bob, Slo, all of Detroit) need to remember those two simple words. It will make your lives easier. There is just no help for it.

Losers lose.
Didn't your wife just have a baby? She's not going to want to listen to your Bungholes homerism!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Losers lose.

Jimmy Haslam is going to prove this all wrong!

He's got money and passion. Things begin to change this season!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jimmy Haslam is going to prove this all wrong!

He's got money and passion. Things begin to change this season!

Frankly, the Browns will be better off if they tank the season (again). Let the new gm pick high and clean house. Of course, this happens every other year in Cleveland.

bionic77 said:
Defenses will always catch up if you just continue to do the same thing over and over again.
That's the point I was driving towards but you had to be all super direct about it.;)

I think it goes double for "gimmick" QB's like Cam and RGIII. I don't say that in a derogatory fashion either. I think putting these guys in offenses they are used to and grooming them to run a more direct NFL pass oriented offense is an intelligent thing to do. You have to evolve that and progress them past it. If Shanny comes out next season with the same read/option stuff he's doing this season with RGIII, I have a feeling he'll hit a similar wall. I don't think Mike is that dumb of a coach though.

Bowser

What's interesting is that last season he was a head coaching candidate for the "brilliance" of that same scheme. What changed?

What changed? The scheme changed. We ran a two-TE, Air Coryell-style vertical offense last season. The read-option was a look we threw out, but it was by no means our base offense, which it is now. Seems like we traded Shockey and the two-TE scheme for Tolbert and the read-option fulltime. I don't know why Chud decided to change a scheme that was so successful last year.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Frankly, the Browns will be better off if they tank the season (again). Let the new gm pick high and clean house. Of course, this happens every other year in Cleveland.

No no, the Browns are always good for 4 wins like the Bills. They'll never get that first pick.

Kind of like the Jags and Titans are always good for 6 wins so they will always pick 9th or 10th at best.

Bowser said:
What changed? The scheme changed. We ran a two-TE, Air Coryell-style vertical offense last season. The read-option was a look we threw out, but it was by no means our base offense, which it is now. Seems like we traded Shockey and the two-TE scheme for Tolbert and the read-option fulltime. I don't know why Chud decided to change a scheme that was so successful last year.
Personnel? Or lack thereof?

Bowser

Personnel? Or lack thereof?

The offense is starting the same players save for former LG Travelle Wharton (replaced by second round pick Amini Silatolu) and TE Jeremy Shockey ("replaced" by HB/FB Mike Tolbert). And Shockey wanted to resign but the Panthers didn't offer him a new deal (he was signed prior to the 2011 season to a 1-year contract). It can't be personnel.

squicken

Pete Carroll responds to Harbs

"Wasn't it just a couple weeks ago when they were talking about not doing things like that? The Giants or Kevin Gilbride or something like that? I thought there was something about that where we don't go out and express our concerns like that.

"Anyway, I think this was a very normal game for us in terms of how we played. I'm surprised he felt like their receivers were so overwhelmed. I thought our guys did a good job. There are always going to be some calls you can look at, but our guys played good, solid, hard football and Vernon Davis didn't get the ball and the receivers didn't do much. Randy [Moss] got one, so I'm sure there's a little frustration there on their part.

"If the officials look at it, they won't have anything to even look at and I don't think they even need to. It's a regular game. Our penalties have really been going in the right direction. ... I don't think a guy should be able to speak out and they can go ahead and cause an investigation. It's too easy. I don't think that is going to happen."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/79074/flag-on-the-play-carroll-tweaks-harbaugh

squicken

Chud's read-option bullshit is destroying Cam, the o-line, and the RBs. I really hope the coaching staff is gone at the end of the season.

I have no idea b/c Cam's never run a pro-style offense, but it's entirely possible that they don't think he can. They should at least try to go to a power run game with shot plays, but there's only so much you can take out of the QB's hands

Guy at work was listening to the press conference, said Cam basically threw the defense under the bus. I didn't realize the defense made him throw that pick in the endzone.

ChanHuk

Banned
Carson Palmer is quietly putting together a good season. Too bad our team still sucks. Get rid of Knapp and that idiotic ZBS. We went from 3rd in sacks allowed and 6th in total rushing to bottom of the barrel because of that ZBS.

Bowser

I have no idea b/c Cam's never run a pro-style offense, but it's entirely possible that they don't think he can. They should at least try to go to a power run game with shot plays, but there's only so much you can take out of the QB's hands

This is exactly what we did last year! It has me baffled why we aren't doing it this season. Seriously, tell me how much sense it makes to have our trio of RBs carry the ball 15 total times in a one score game while Cam is attempting 37 passes? It's ass-backwards and I really do think Chud just has his head up his ass in terms of his love affair with the read option. You can't find out if Cam can run a pro-style offense if you don't give him the chance, and if you think he can't, this read-option scheme clearly isn't the answer either.

Guy at work was listening to the press conference, said Cam basically threw the defense under the bus. I didn't realize the defense made him throw that pick in the endzone.

"Guy at work" is an idiot. Cam didn't throw anyone under the bus. His basic message was "hey, what we're doing now isn't working and we need to figure out very soon what needs to change to get wins"

JR, please hire this man:

ross_marc.jpg

JR PLS

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
"Guy at work" is an idiot. Cam didn't throw anyone under the bus. His basic message was "hey, what we're doing now isn't working and we need to figure out very soon what needs to change to get wins"

I know you're biased but you are literally the only person thinking that what Cam said was anything other than unprofessional.

BigAT

JR, please hire this man:

ross_marc.jpg

JR PLS

What? Marc Ross is awful. Completely incompetent and an alcoholic to boot.

Panthers management reads this thread right? Maybe they'll believe it's true. Don't go Marc!

Smokey

Congrats dude.

Since you are a sconi I assume it was a basic spelling test or some sort of test of your ability to count and add, but what was the extra credit for? Was it for your remarkable ability to breathe out of your nose or did you get the usual bonus question right on the age of the Earth (i.e. 6,000 years old)? Or did you just draw an extra tight picture of Jesus next to your name?

Lolol

Bowser

So he didn't say "the defense needs to step it up"?

Rewatched the whole press conference just now

Quotes:

"Defensively, offensively, special teams, myself especially, everybody needs to be better and take accountability"

"Whether it's 3rd down and 4, offensively you need to convert, defensively you need to get the stop"

"Main objective, each and every person needs to get better"

"Can't be thinking about playoffs, of course that's the goal, but we need to get better one play at a time at this point"

Never says "the defense needs to step it up" unless it's in the context of "everyone needs to step it up"

Watch for yourself: http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Cam-Newton-Postgame/3b1e0974-5470-49a9-b2a8-92cba6b8230f

I know you're biased but you are literally the only person thinking that what Cam said was anything other than unprofessional.

Not quite sure what people are expecting of Cam in these pressers...is he supposed to smile? Be happy that they kept it close? He says time and again "I need to get better," "I can't make mistakes like the redzone INT that costs us points," "I need to cut down on my mistakes, everybody needs to be accountable," etc.

Top Bottom