• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

eznark

Banned
Shit only happened because the refs did a horrible job of keeping the game in check. So much jawing and extracurricular shit all game long.

Nah, Harbaugh (and others, this isn't a criticism of him) is on the field like that constantly because there is never any punishment for it. Even here he wasn't flagged or warned for being on the field, he was flagged for being a cunt to a ref.

Turnstile

I haven't posted in a while due to my sister passing away on wednesday night. It's been a nightmarish week for my family and myself. The Broncos game was my only relief from it and I'm glad to see them come through for me. I probably won't post for a couple more days because it's been so hectic.

I'll see you guys soon, NFL-GAF. Hopefully in time for the Broncos-Pats game this weekend.

I'm very sorry to hear this. :( Take care of yourself and your family during this.
Sincere and deepest condolences Harry.

Nah, Harbaugh (and others, this isn't a criticism of him) is on the field like that constantly because there is never any punishment for it. Even here he wasn't flagged or warned for being on the field, he was flagged for being a cunt to a ref.

This. Every coach in the league does this. Only reason people care is because of Tomlin's foot fiasco.

Clockwork5

I have never really thought of the super bowl as a QB battle, but something about this year has me seeing the playoffs as Manning vs. Brady, Wilson vs. Kapernick. And the superbowl will be the young vs the old... Since the Chiefs were frauds this year (lol) and blew it in Indy I don't care who wins. Well, as long as the Broncos don't win I am ok... I guess I'm a little salty that these young QBs are doing well on the two most complete teams in the NFL so I'm going to have to go with Brady (barf).

Go Pats....Ughh....

bionic77

I have never really thought of the super bowl as a QB battle, but something about this year has me seeing the playoffs as Manning vs. Brady, Wilson vs. Kapernick. And the superbowl will be the young vs the old... Since the Chiefs were frauds this year (lol) and blew it in Indy I don't care who wins. Well, as long as the Broncos don't win I am ok... I guess I'm a little salty that these young QBs are doing well on the two most complete teams in the NFL so I'm going to have to go with Brady (barf).

Go Pats....Ughh....
You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

Even if you hate the Broncos you should still cheer for them in the championship and then promptly root for their humiliation (and the way the AFC is playing you will probably get it) in February.

squicken

Agree with this about Jimmy Graham. Too much Jared Cook in him

The Saints’ best offensive weapon in the passing game accounted for eight token yards in the last six quarters of the postseason. That is unacceptable. That’s like a healthy Adrian Peterson touching the ball nine times in 1.5 playoff games. When I watched Graham Saturday, I saw a clear-out receiver. I didn’t see a fighter. He wasn’t loafing, but often in the second half, he’d round off his routes and not fight Richard Sherman or Earl Thomas for position; he looked content to open space for Colston often. I tried to envision Tony Gonzalez in this case—the same kind of athletic space player Graham is. And I think Gonzalez would have been battling to get open more, to present his quarterback with another go-to option.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/13/peyton-manning-tom-brady-monday-morning-quarterback/3/

Go Pats....Ughh....
Welcome brother

You can see Cam's soul crush once Kap mocked his celebration. Cam is too emotional and gets down really easily. He does not have a warrior's heart. You have to seize victory like a laptop.

Eleuin

You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

Even if you hate the Broncos you should still cheer for them in the championship and then promptly root for their humiliation (and the way the AFC is playing you will probably get it) in February.
you jinxed the worst team wins the super bowl mojo :(

:lol

Thanks Gata.

In two words you just made the most persuasive case against rooting for the Pats that I have ever seen. If I didn't know you better I would have thought you were a genius. Unfortunately I have read your last 2,000 or so posts...

Anyone who roots for the Pats is a Pats bro.

bionic77

you jinxed the worst team wins the super bowl mojo :(
:lol

I just predicted that that wouldn't happen this year because all the paid analysts and media guys were predicting it.

Also the AFC could still technically the SB and I am not impressed with either team from the AFC. Weird how I can say that considering how the Broncos just set the scoring record but I still feel that way.

Seahawks looked like the team to beat but someone forgot to tell them that the superbowl was not playing in October. Classic peaking too early. San Fran looks like a strong favorite now but those are always the teams that fuck you if you pick them and also Kaep still makes some very shaky throws at times. He was lucky not to have been INTed a few times against Green Bay and Carolina.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LSU's Jeremy Hill (RB) has decided to change his mind and not stay. He's going to the NFL, where he might actually get fined this time for punching people.

Talon

They can both be the case. I think there will be an emphasis by the rules committee on A) sideline conduct and B) keeping games in order. Too much chippiness, and the NFC Championship game is going to be a bitchfest.
But....the basketball!

I never paid much attention to Jimmy Graham but when I have seen him I can't say i've ever seen him win a matchup for a contested ball. He makes his money down the seam. This playoff run every ball that he had to battle to get was dropped. So not clutch.
I don't know if that's fair based on his play over the last 3 seasons, but this is hilarious. That said, I don't think a guy like Tony Gonzalez or even Gronk would loaf like that for 4 quarters.
As for the pregame confrontations -- one of which included Graham ripping the hat off linebacker Bruce Irvin's head before being held back by team staff members -- Graham said, "He tried to disrespect me, and I'm not going to let anyone disrespect me. I don't want to talk about it."

Irvin explained that he told Graham to get out of the Seahawks' warm-up area, and Graham yelled back, "I'm Jimmy." Then Irvin said he responded, "Who's Jimmy?" and admitted to kicking Graham's ball out of the way.
I'M JIMMY!

Reason #73830 why Gronk is better than Jimmy Graham: Graham is a cunt, Gronk isn't. Everybody loves Gronk, where even Jimmy Graham his own mother hated him.

I haven't posted in a while due to my sister passing away on wednesday night. It's been a nightmarish week for my family and myself. The Broncos game was my only relief from it and I'm glad to see them come through for me. I probably won't post for a couple more days because it's been so hectic.

I'll see you guys soon, NFL-GAF. Hopefully in time for the Broncos-Pats game this weekend.

Harry, first, my sincere and deepest condolences to you. I have a younger sister with whom I'm very attached to and I can't think what it would be like without her. Truly sorry for your loss man.

I wonder how good the broncos rushing defense is. I see they are top ten statistically but it's much easier to defend against the run when your ahead. Wish I had NFL rewind

They're actually pretty good against the run even when behind.

Against Dallas who jumped out to an early 14-0 lead, they held DeMarco Murray mostly in check. He started off with 7 carries for 14 yards and a 4 yard TD and finished with 12 carries and 43 yards, but that's mostly because Dallas found much more success against the Denver secondary when Romo could buy time.

In Indy, the Colts weren't able to run very successfully once they established the lead after Luck scored a TD following Mathis strip fumble safety. Their big running plays came off a 30 yard reverse by DHB and a 19 yards of scrambles by Luck. Most of the conventional run plays were held in check. After surrendering the lead, the Broncos allowed 27 yards off 10 carries to conventional run plays, with another 49 off the three plays listed earlier by DHB and Luck. They actually got another 4 yards off of 4 carries, but that was in obvious running situations when trying to bleed the cock to prevent a Broncos comeback.

In Washington, when they gave up the lead in the 3rd when Morris scored the TD following Mannings strip fumble, they only gave up 6 yards on 3 carries until they tied in the 4th following two quick scores.

In the matchup in Foxboro, they did hold the Patriots to about a 3.7 ypc clip. When the Pats took the lead in the 4th, the Broncos gave up 12 yards on 4 carries. Brady found a lot more success targetting whoever Kayvon Webster was defending for throws instead of running a lot.

In the second KC matchup, took a lead following a Manning interception, but the Broncos came back to tie it up. KC then took the lead following a 108 yard kickoff return. Following that, Manning was intercepted again, leading to a quick score by KC. Until the Broncos retook the lead for good early in the 3rd, KC had 5 carries for 16 yards + 2 QB scrambles for 25 yards.

In Tennessee, the Titans got off to a good start following big throws by Fitzpatrick to set up 1 yard TD run by Shonne Greene and 95 yard kickoff return to setup a 3 yard TD run by Chris Johnson following the tying score by the Broncos. Until the Broncos took the lead for good at the start of the 3rd, the Broncos had given up 21 yards on 7 carries.

Against the Chargers in their 2nd meetup, once SD took over for good near the end of the 2nd quarter, the Broncos gave up 79 yards on 17 carries. With SD trying to bleed out the clock, they gave up on another 17 yards on 5 carries. Despite keeping SD to a 4.0 ypc clip, they gave up a lot of big and inopportune run plays to keep SD on the field and churning.

I actually think the Patriots will probably throw much more against the Broncos then they did against the Colts. I think the Pats will probably want to see how their offensive line holds against the Broncos pass rush without Miller. Broncos D seems to get burned on trick runs and QB scrambles, but at this point in time, both QBs are past their optimal scrambling days, and the Broncos run D is pretty disciplined when facing the obvious run play. If the offensive line can keep Brady clean, I think he'll find some success on the usual crossing patterns, seams and slants the Pats like to call up for him. Those crossing patterns require time though, so those Broncos pass rushers will need to be clever and on top of their game to move him off the spot. I could also see some success on draw plays for NE with Ridley. I think he's probably a better tool against the Broncos than Blount, but that's just me. Blount has been playing a lot better, but I feel if you can get on the outside of the DEs for the Broncos you have more room to play with.

Tom Penny

Graham has been single covered in games and taken out. I've yet to see a team dumb enough to single cover Gronk basically after his rookie year..except when he couldn't run. Thanks Pollard !!!

Didn't watch the second half of the Niners Panthers game but listening to bits and pieces on the radio it sounded like the Cats offense couldn't move the ball. Was it Cam? I know their running game sucks but 10 points in a home game?

Didn't watch the second half of the Niners Panthers game but listening to bits and pieces on the radio it sounded like the Cats offense Cosby move the ball. Was it Cam? I know their running game sucks but 10 points in a home game?

They did get stopped at the 1 twice so it's not like they couldn't move the ball in first half.

Second half, entire team gave up. No effort, no heart.

Didn't watch the second half of the Niners Panthers game but listening to bits and pieces on the radio it sounded like the Cats offense Cosby move the ball. Was it Cam? I know their running game sucks but 10 points in a home game?

Steve smiths knee obviously flared up. Carolina couldn't run and didn't try to run. Then our pass rush demolished their line

Crisco

Banned
Steve smiths knee obviously flared up. Carolina couldn't run and didn't try to run. Then our pass rush demolished their line

I think the knee was fine, Niners just took him away with coverage over the top. And like every Panthers team of the past 8 years or so, no second receiver.

eznark

Banned
Didn't watch the second half of the Niners Panthers game but listening to bits and pieces on the radio it sounded like the Cats offense couldn't move the ball. Was it Cam? I know their running game sucks but 10 points in a home game?

I'd kind of like to read more from Carolina beat writers on this game. It looked to me like there was a ton of confusion up and down the entire offense, from Cam on down. Routes were running into each other, play fakes were wrong sided, there were some really, really obvious blitzes that Cam just flat missed. On a lot of series it looked like the Panthers just did not know what they were supposed to be doing. I wonder if they tried to put in a bunch of new wrinkles and plays and it just proved to be too much. That's the problem with a quarterback who relies more on his ability than his intelligence. Cam (and Kap and most young QB's to be fair) seems to struggle enough knowing his own role and can't make those line adjustments for their teammates. It's one of the problems with the coaches QB'ing from the sidelines and making all the pre-snap adjustments. There just isn't time to also tell all of your receivers and backs what to do if they are lost.

Panthers/Niners game was so disappointing. A Carolina win would have been great but I at least expected them to put up a fight. "This is our chance to be relevant!" Whelp, so much for that.

squicken

I don't remember what it was like with Chud, but I have never seen a team in an obvious hurry up, not huddle, call the plays at the line, and consistently snap the ball with 5s left on the play clock.

I get that they played with a lead most of the year, and they try and shorten the game, but they just seemed so unprepared to play from behind. Not just in personnel but even pre-snap

eznark

Banned
It was confusion with the calls man. I don't think I am going to have time to gif it but there were plays where receivers clearly sort of stutter stepped off the line not sure of what to do or just ran straight down the field looking back.
I think the knee was fine, Niners just took him away with coverage over the top. And like every Panthers team of the past 8 years or so, no second receiver.

If his knee was fine he should be cut because it means he tanked. Watch him make cuts in the second half. He is either the laziest fucker in football (we know that isn't the case) or his knee was fucked.

I went to my tenants house to pick up a check and he had the game on. During that time Cam took two sacks that were just confusing to me - it was like the line didn't know where they where supposed to be or who they should block.

bionic77

Nah they showed him running on the 2nd cam int and he was basically limping down the field
Why don't more coaches have the balls to take injured players out?

When we can see it on tv how can they not see it on the field? You can't play any sport other than maybe pool with a bum knee.

Even if the next receiver is a fuck up and bum, he is still better than a guy trying to run on a fucked up knee.

Crisco

Banned
Nah they showed him running on the 2nd cam int and he was basically limping down the field

Ok, I don't remember seeing that. Ah well, even before the game, the dudes on NFLN said he didn't look totally right. I thought he was fine in the first half.

eznark said:
It was confusion with the calls man. I don't think I am going to have time to gif it but there were plays where receivers clearly sort of stutter stepped off the line not sure of what to do or just ran straight down the field looking back.

It was definitely one of the uglier no huddle possessions I've seen. I think the main problem is we waited too late to get aggressive with the play calling. I mean, you can't take 8 minutes off the clock and then punt. That's as bad a turnover.

Top Bottom