• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

KingGondo

Banned
Not doubting you at all, I'd just like to read more about it. Any link to it?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-cleveland-browns-brass-likes-johnny-manziel

While the firing of coach Rob Chudzinski has created turbulence in the Browns' locker room, it also might have opened the door for a more Manziel-friendly coach at the team's helm, according to Sports Illustrated's Peter King. This from King's latest column:

"... If they kept Chudzinski, they'd be asking him to develop the next quarterback, along with offensive coordinator Norv Turner. What if there was a disconnect between the quarterback the front office wanted (I hear Cleveland really likes Johnny Manziel, who is not the Aikmanish pocket passer more to Turner's liking) and the one the coaches preferred? If they made a clean break now, they wouldn't be delaying what they felt was inevitable."

I'm a bit higher on Manziel as a player than I was a while ago, but they need to hit a home run with the coach and OC to put him in position to succeed. I still think he's supremely immature, and I have a hard time imagining the locker room getting behind him.

eznark

Banned

effzee

Thinking that some of these FA WRs might end up getting big contracts even though they did nothing on the field this season to make a strong or stronger case.

For a team like the Panthers, do you pay the money to lure Nicks back home to Carolina? Do the Jets?

I wonder if Reid targets Maclin if the Eagles aren't quick enough to re-sign him.

I could see Cooper also getting a pretty sweet deal even though I think a lot of his production was the result of defenses worrying much more about McCoy and Desean.

Talon

lol did yall read exactly what happened between him and the hawks players before the game on saturday?

"I'm Jimmy"

Irvin explained that he told Graham to get out of the Seahawks' warm-up area, and Graham yelled back, "I'm Jimmy." Then Irvin said he responded, "Who's Jimmy?" and admitted to kicking Graham's ball out of the way.
I'M JIMMY!

This needs to catch on.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2h
Panthers DE Greg Hardy just walked into BoA Stadium with a noticeable limp.

tumblr_lopsx9yXuF1qkyv8m.gif

This guy was a total no-show in 2 of our 3 biggest games of the year. SNF at New Orleans and then again yesterday.

Bowser

Cam played fairly well when he had time in the pocket, but he took ill-advised sacks when the pressure came instead of throwing it away. That's one of those "take the good with the bad" as he believes he can make defenders miss and has turned some of those would-be sacks into big gains on scrambles several times before.

PFF said:
Newton graded at +3.5 on his 21 drop-backs in a clean pocket, but only -2.0 on his 12 snaps under pressure.

And like I thought while at the game, the o-line played very Jekyl and Hyde. Sometimes Cam had tons of time, sometimes it seemed like he was engulfed 2 seconds after the snap:

Three Guards, No Positives

The Panthers used a two-man rotation at right guard between Nate Chandler (-1.3) and Chris Scott (-2.4), while left guard Travelle Wharton manned his usual spot, but all three finished in the red. Wharton was particularly disappointing given his strong play since taking over the job back in Week 6 as he finished at -3.2 overall including -4.4 against the run.

Wharton was controlled by Justin Smith on more than one occasion, most notably in the first quarter at both the 9:12 and 0:55 marks where Smith stood him up and got inside to make the tackle. Perhaps his worst play, however, came with 4:47 to go in the second quarter when he tripped on his pull attempt on 3rd-and-goal. Tolbert subsequently tripped over Wharton and the 49ers had their second goal line stand of the first half.

As for Chandler and Scott, Chandler got little movement in the running game and surrendered a sack to DE Tony Jerod-Eddie with 7:11 to go in the fourth quarter while Scott gave up three hurries on his 21 pass block attempts. It was not a good day for Carolina’s guards.

Tom Penny

I find it hilarious that Jimmy Graham might make more money on a franchise tag, because he can't block worth a damn.

He will get the tag because his agent will try make him the highest paid TE in history by slotting him as a WR because that's how he's used in the offense.

Nameless

If graham is a WR playing TE, then Boldin is a TE playing WR. I wonder what kind of deal he gets this offseason.

Depends if someone who thinks they're a couple parts away from contending next year feels like overpaying for him.

I hope we can keep(for the right price) him. The TE comparison is a good one because he lost his step a long time ago. Dude is slower than molasses on a winter morning, but like a Jason Witten or a Tony Gonzalez still manages to get open with good, smart route running, muscle, positioning, and scheme. The right system could easily squeeze 2-3 productive years out of him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
All throughout the season, Seattle has lined up either Carpenter or McQuistan at LG. Who ends up winning the starting job for our first playoff game? Rookie Michael Bowie.

Kind of wish they were able to make this decision earlier. :/

This guy was a total no-show in 2 of our 3 biggest games of the year. SNF at New Orleans and then again yesterday.

I don't think our line liked his trash talk before the game. If you don't block me I'll break your qbs face, I'm an angry man, etc.

Get out of here Greg hardy you stupid ass biiiiiiiiiitch

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To play devil's advocate, it might be a move to make sure enough relatively local Seattle fans have a chance at getting a ticket because the Saints game sold out in half an hour.

Otherwise it's kind of silly.

Crisco

Banned

Eh, Hardy played ok. Kap threw the ball 4 times in the second half, and did a good job getting the ball out quick on most pass plays. The pass rush just didn't have many opportunities. He had 6 tackles so it's not like he was totally invisible, the pass rush was just a non-factor all the way around. Had we scored on that second goal line possession making it 14-6, then you might have seen that change.

effzee

Cam made some terrible throws and decision in the fourth quarter but man some of those throws early on were beautiful to watch. I really thought after that TD to Steve Smith, he was going to have a huge game and the Panthers would win with some comfort (+7 points).

Who does Crimzon root for now?

eznark

Banned
To play devil's advocate, it might be a move to make sure enough relatively local Seattle fans have a chance at getting a ticket because the Saints game sold out in half an hour.

Otherwise it's kind of silly.

I said it earlier in the week, it's not uncommon for any sporting even for the home team to take similar measures to try and ensure the home town fans (who dump their tax dollars into supporting these scams) get to spend more money on the home town team, or at least get to be the ones to flip them for profit.

Cam made some terrible throws and decision in the fourth quarter but man some of those throws early on were beautiful to watch. I really thought after that TD to Steve Smith, he was going to have a huge game and the Panthers would win with some comfort (+7 points).

Who does Crimzon root for now?

Who's blacker? Wussy or Kaepernick?

eznark

Banned
Are you asking who is blacker or who is more of a cornball brother? And is that the same question?

I think Kaep is blacker (though that is not saying much, there are white guys that are blacker than Wussle) and they are equally cornball.

Lookit the yuppie lawyer adjudicating on blackness.

effzee

Russel Wilson looks way too much like my brother.

I always want to punch him in the face.

Crimzon I think also roots for Manning.

Nameless

Are you asking who is blacker or who is more of a cornball brother? And is that the same question?

I think Kaep is blacker (though that is not saying much, there are white guys that are blacker than Wussle) and they are equally cornball.

A black guy would be buried under a jail after assaulting a white woman in a public bathroom, so that instantly disqualifies Gentle Ben from the discussion.

Speaking of cornballs, Bob Griff defends himself on Facebook

“You see WE do these things because they make us comfortable. Not to be different. Been wearing a sleeve and glove for 10 years. You see WE are a team,” he wrote. “You think I want it to be national news that I visit a beach? Or shop at Walmart? Or wore red shoes instead if green yesterday? Well I don’t. I’m “striving” for greatness just like my fellow teammates do. The “attention” that comes with being a QB in the league is what you are referring to. All the press conferences and talking to the media? Mandated by the league to have a press conference every week during the season and during team activities during the off-season. Oh wait, you must be talking about the Commercials? Right?

“Oh ok so what was the deal with those in 2012? WE won the division. So in 2013 when WE get knocked down, and finish last it’s because of the commercials? If that is your reasoning I have nothing more to say. WE will get back up. That is what matters. I hope I answered your question well enough. And that you keep supporting the team.”

Someone needs to tell this guy to just shut up. Ya doing too much Captain

Doomsayer

Great second half yesterday after a really shaky first half. Cam was on fire in for the first 1.5 quarters of the game. It seemed to me like they put too much of an emphasis on Cam running the ball, by the end of the 3rd quarter he looked gassed. He took some big hits while running too, I'm not saying it affected his psyche but he looked like a different guy in the second half. Steve Smith should not have been playing in the second half of the game he was noticeably slow (like slower than Boldin slow) and couldn't even cut.

I thought the 49ers were the beneficiaries of a lot of questionable calls in the first half but the Carolina DBs were holding a lot and not getting called, so I'm going to say it was fairly balanced.

Kaep had a pretty shaky game but again made plays when he had to. That last drive before halftime was huge and I think it gave our team confidence that we can hang with these guys.

Boldin and Gore were our only two weapons today - Crabs had that nice 3rd down grab of 20 yards or so, but other than that was held in check. VD had once catch for one yard but at least it was a TD. I don't know how Boldin gets so open when he is so slow but watch the guy make tough catch after tough catch is beautiful. I hope we resign him because this guy is essential to our success.

The offensive line, particularly Mike Iupati was dominant. We kept Kaep clean for the most part (1 sack, I believe) and gave Gore some holes to run through. I hope they can continue this effort in Seattle. Iupati was a big concern for me going into the game because his pass blocking had been really suspect the past couple of weeks. Good to see him round into form when we needed him most.

Defense was suffocating in the second half, I thought we were going to be in for a long day after that TD pass. It was a perfect throw by Cam though, so I can't fault Brown too much who had great coverage. Everyone but Aldon Smith showed up heavy on the stat sheet, but I think its because I seen him getting chipped and doubled in most obvious passing situations. Brooks once again showed up huge both in run support and pass rushing. He tied Charles Hayley's record for most sacks in one postseason (5) with at least one game to go.

I just want to say it's laughable how Mike Mitchell is so sour grapes over the officiating while I agree with the headbutt situation Skuta was penalized for hitting Cam in the helmet after Cam had tucked the ball and went to roll out. Kaep was hit like that I think against Green Bay doing the same thing with no call. Just saying.

This is a different team than Seattle seen week two, and Seattle's offense has been shaky lately. This is going to be another physical game and I hope our boys are up to it. Go Niners.

Fantomex

Most establishments try to keep murderers out.

You know eznark, I've been trying to practice my detective skills being as I've been reading some Batman graphic novels lately and all, you know, people get inspired. Using my deductive reasoning, evidence and the trail of clues you leave behind I figured out who you are. I get a familiar vibe from you, as of someone I've met before in my childhood. And then it hit me. Grouchy, hates the little guy, can't see anyone happy. It was you all along! The evidence was astounding.

The Evidence on the case for Eznarks identity:

• Very Angry
  • Very Bitter
  • Hateful
  • Can't stand the little guy
  • Exhibits supressed emotions
  • Lack female understanding
  • Love Felines

tL56MhV.jpg

amirite?

Top Bottom