• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

Colasante

Choosing the Titans over the Lions. Never would have expected that. I wonder how much Stafford's dismissiveness about being trained by a QB guru turned off Whisenhunt.

cdyhybrid

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 40s
Two things to watch: #Chargers likely to promote QB coach Frank Reich to OC. And #Lions may turn to No. 2 target, Mike Munchak

:kas

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How are the lions still a franchise? I mean they can't possibly have a big enough fan base to support them can they?

Huge fan base. They didn't have blackouts until like year 7 of Millen's disaster.

Also, the main reason people don't want this job is because the front office and ownership are a complete disaster. It's the only explanation.

If you could be the guy to take Detroit to a Super Bowl, you'd have a statue of you built out front of Ford Field the next day. They'd hang a banner with your face from the rafters. Yet nobody wants the job.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 40s
Two things to watch: #Chargers likely to promote QB coach Frank Reich to OC. And #Lions may turn to No. 2 target, Mike Munchak

Schefter and Mortensen say the job is Jim Caldwell's if he wants it and that they've been talking to him all day.

Tamanon

Banned
omg I need to see Kas' reaction to Whiz turning down Detroit

iXeLocEEQgSQz.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm starting to wonder if Mayhew is insisting on the new coach keeping Gunther Cunningham as his DC. That would drive anyone away.

Colasante

Lolololol

Remember when Lance Z tried telling everyone that any coach would kill for that job?

Eat a dick Lance.

It still is the most attractive head coaching vacancy, if you want Stafford. If you'd rather mold your own QB, which I imagine Whisenhunt did, the Titans make more sense.

Plinko

Adam Schefter said:
The Lions also kept open communications with Caldwell and his representatives. Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy spoke with Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. earlier Monday to reaffirm strong attributes he believed Caldwell would bring to the Lions.

"I already had told [Lions GM] Martin Maywhew that Caldwell is a great match for a team that has the personnel of being capable of playing in the Super Bowl," said Dungy. "I think the Lions were not only impressed with Jim's interview but they were pleasantly surprised by the number of former Colts players who called on his behalf. Jim made Peyton Manning an even better quarterback -- look at the numbers and wins -- and I think he can do the same for Matthew Stafford.

"I know the Lions also want discipline and good character in the locker room. I'm not saying their other candidates can't achieve those things but those are Jim's strengths with his background, especially from his influence under Joe Paterno at Penn State and hopefully in our program in the NFL."

DUNGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Remind me the last time the Dolphins made the playoffs? 2008?

Yes..your point? This is the first time in team history we've had more than 3 loosing season together, what about the lions?

Huge fan base. They didn't have blackouts until like year 7 of Millen's disaster.

Also, the main reason people don't want this job is because the front office and ownership are a complete disaster. It's the only explanation.

If you could be the guy to take Detroit to a Super Bowl, you'd have a statue of you built out front of Ford Field the next day. They'd hang a banner with your face from the rafters. Yet nobody wants the job.

Schefter says the job is Jim Caldwell's if he wants it.

That's one faithful fan base, I hope you guys turn it around and get a SB.

Plinko

I'm still OK with Caldwell. He did succeed in Indy before the entire team got injured and former Colts players loved him.

Munchak would be a complete disaster.

Plinko

This is false. That plane never left the airport. Lions beat writers were watching it all day.

As for Caldwell's timeouts, I completely agree. I just think he'd be much better than Munchak, who didn't succeed at all.

That you're in no position to be a dick to Lions fans?

How am I being a dick? lol We've been to 5 superbowls, won 2, have the coach with most wins in NFL history, yeah we've sucked the last 13 years, how long have the lions sucked? I'm genuinely curious how the lions have such a big fan base having sucked for such a long time, that applies to other teams like the browns, the old fan bases must be huge.

BearPawB

Banned
As a Titans fan, this is not what i expected, but hopefully a step up. Maybe he can inspire CJ. That is his only hope.

As a Vikings fan. I would laugh so hard if the Lions end up with Munchak

eznark

Banned
As a Titans fan, this is not what i expected, but hopefully a step up. Maybe he can inspire CJ. That is his only hope.

As a Vikings fan. I would laugh so hard if the Lions end up with Munchak

He is coaching the Titans, not whatever team picks up CJ this off season.

Plinko

Chris Mortensen just said "defensive scheme" issues between Detroit and Whisenhunt.

Basically, he wanted to run a 3-4 and Detroit didn't. Wonderful.

slabrock

Banned
Chris Mortensen just said "defensive scheme" issues between Detroit and Whisenhunt.

Basically, he wanted to run a 3-4 and Detroit didn't. Wonderful.

Makes sense, they had so much money tied up in the front 4 that it would have been difficult to make it work.

Plinko

Lions writers reporting that Peyton Manning also called Detroit Lions and tried to sell them on Jim Caldwell.

Also, I just caught this gem from the Mort/Schefter article:

"I know the Lions also want discipline and good character in the locker room. I'm not saying their other candidates can't achieve those things but those are Jim's strengths with his background, especially from his influence under Joe Paterno at Penn State and hopefully in our program in the NFL."

Nothing says good character like ol' Joe Paterno!

Plinko

Is Caldwell going to cut Suh or something? If he's such a disciplinarian...

Suh hasn't been an issue at all recently.

The real issue is Stafford and how he needs to be reigned in at practice and on the field. Schwartz actually told the team you couldn't intercept his passes during practice. Ludicrous.

slabrock

Banned
Ansah is athletic enough to play OlB and raw enough that it shouldnt be a terrible difficult transition. Whatever. Losers lose.

Was thinking more about Suh and Fairley. It could work but the lions don't have the cap space to make a big scheme change.

Top Bottom