• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

Just heard the Whisenhunt news, WOW. Tomorrow will be a blood bath on Detroit sports radio lol.

I think we read this all wrong. Detroit didn't have the most appealing coaching vacancy, it has the worst (well, outside of the Browns of course).

Caldwell it is, then...

Mrbob

Wiz could have found a 4-3 guy if he wanted too. He would be hands off on the defensive side anyway.

Lions sent owner's private plane to San Diego to pick up Ken Whisenhunt today, according to @RapSheet. Whiz did not get on that plane.

JiltedBride60.jpg

slabrock

Banned
So Tenn going QB in the first or is Whiz gonna roll with Locker? There was talk a couple of days ago that some in the Front Office weren't confident in Locker.

cdyhybrid

So Tenn going QB in the first or is Whiz gonna roll with Locker? There was talk a couple of days ago that some in the Front Office weren't confident in Locker.

They won't even utter a single syllable about their plan. Gonna keep other teams guessing until draft day.

Zimmer interviewed for a second time with the Titans before they settled on Whisenhunt.

Zimmer will be meeting with the Vikings next. Could be his job to lose in Minny.

effzee

Damn I feel terrible for Caldwell right now.

Basically a token minority candidate who they now have to take seriously. Fuck I hope he takes the job and succeeds cause that's fucked up. He took the time to watch every single throw of Stafford's and knows what needs to be fixed.

If Whisenhunt and guys like Munchak who haven't won shit get 2nd or 3rd chances, why shouldn't Caldwell.

And on that note glad to have Lurie owning the Eagles. Yeah we haven't won but by all accounts he stays out of the way, spends the money, and generally is very thorough with his hires.

I know in the Reid days many DC candidates who wanted to interview in Philly after JJ passed away, were turned off by Reid's insistence on running a 4-3. Of course he goes to KC and runs a 3-4 now. Moral of the story? Fuck a Reid.

squicken

Chris Mortensen just said "defensive scheme" issues between Detroit and Whisenhunt.

Basically, he wanted to run a 3-4 and Detroit didn't. Wonderful.

I am very suspect that is the reason. It could have come down to Mayhew, money, Stafford or their cap situation, but scheme seems weird to me

Just want to tell my brother kas that it isn't your fault and the Lions can still someday roar again ... but not with Caldwell

effzee

You ever think he brings it on himself for acting like a jackass?

Of course he brought some of it on himself but he hasn't gotten in any trouble since turning pro and just led his team to a very successful season. His game has major flaws but he did improve this year. So did the coaching and his defense. He is only in his 3rd year.

Lets not pretend that different standards are applied to different QBs especially if they are of different color.

Damn I feel terrible for Caldwell right now.

Basically a token minority candidate who they now have to take seriously. Fuck I hope he takes the job and succeeds cause that's fucked up. He took the time to watch every single throw of Stafford's and knows what needs to be fixed.

If Whisenhunt and guys like Munchak who haven't won shit get 2nd or 3rd chances, why shouldn't Caldwell..

Very good point. Munchak didn't really do much in Tennessee yet is a hot commodity now for some reason. Caldwell wasn't a bad coach and got fired after his QB, who the offense was built around, went down.

He met with Stafford, showed how he would fix his throws...that's nothing to laugh at. Still...the fact that we spent weeks waiting for Whiz only to be spurned like this is almost as disappointing as the season was. Really shows what the league thinks of us.

I doubt it's about the 3-4 v 4-3 either, considering reports leaked yesterday that Whisenhunt wanted to do some type of 4-3 hybrid.

effzee

Very good point. Munchak didn't really do much in Tennessee yet is a hot commodity now for some reason. Caldwell wasn't a bad coach and got fired after his QB, who the offense was built around, went down.

He met with Stafford, showed how he would fix his throws...that's nothing to laugh at. Still...the fact that we spent weeks waiting for Whiz only to be spurned like this is almost as disappointing as the season was. Really shows what the league thinks of us.

I doubt it's about the 3-4 v 4-3 either, considering reports leaked yesterday that Whisenhunt wanted to do some type of 4-3 hybrid.

Yeah I don't know how Caldwell will do, but how is he worse than Whisenhunt? Whiz won with Warner, Boldin, and Fitz. That's it. He never fixed any of the other problems the team had.

Tenumi

Banned
Doing a little bit of leg work here. This shows that said Detroit to San Diego flight was scheduled, but never left Detroit. So any report that says a plane was "sent" is false.

My take is that Whiz did want a different defensive scheme, and that he saw something in Tennessee to push him over the limit to choosing them. Changing to a 3-4 wouldn't be ideal for the current defensive personnel in Detroit. Suh could probably play End, but Fairly would be the best fit for the nose, and even then, he wouldn't be a fit at all. So the team would likely need an end and nose tackle, probably two or three linebackers better suited for the 3-4, and the obvious secondary issues.

With the Titans, Whiz does have a decent Defense, with some nice building blocks in place, but not to the extent Detroit has. There is room to manage and change the D that Detroit doesn't have. Offensively, I think Locker has the ability, but he's having the same issue that Stafford had in his early career: Durability. Whether Whiz keeps him or goes for someone else, I don't know.

At least, that's my educated analysis on the topic.

Get fucked kas! LOL

Your a classy one, aren't you?

Why can NFLGAF get away with stuff like this? Do mods really not care if you insult members in here. I'm sure I've seen people tell others to kill themselves in here without any repremand.

squicken

E: Eh that's kind of strong by YH. Not sure you tell someone that just b/c of their team's perceived failure, but that's the way it goes!

Unless you believe that Polian was tanking the roster that year, which he may have been, I can't imagine a coach more inept than Caldwell was when they went 2-14. It's like he had no ideas. They played listless all year.

Look at the Jags under Gus Bradley. That team has shit talent but by the end of the year they were winning some game b/c he had those guys buying in. Granted Whiz was nothing special in his last year w/ AZ. WRs quit b/c the QB situation was so awful.

I really wonder if it came down to being able to choose his own QB and having alot more roster flexibility in TEN

Konka

Banned

Why can NFLGAF get away with stuff like this? Do mods really not care if you insult members in here. I'm sure I've seen people tell others to kill themselves in here without any repremand.

It's trash talk dude. Everyone is fine, except for gata.

Unless you believe that Polian was tanking the roster that year, which he may have been, I can't imagine a coach more inept than Caldwell was when they went 2-14. It's like he had no ideas. They played listless all year.

Look at the Jags under Gus Bradley. That team has shit talent but by the end of the year they were winning some game b/c he had those guys buying in. Granted Whiz was nothing special in his last year w/ AZ. WRs quit b/c the QB situation was so awful.

I really wonder if it came down to being able to choose his own QB and having alot more roster flexibility in TEN

I would choose a team based on that, if you going into a team that already has star players you're expected to win now, going into TEN he has a little longer leash as far as expectations, unless you're the browns of course.

squicken

I would choose a team based on that, if you going into a team that already has star players you're expected to win now, going into TEN he has a little longer leash as far as expectations, unless you're the browns of course.

Good point. He has to win right now in DET, and maybe he thinks he can't. TEN has some talent and very little immediate pressure, though I do remember the new owner saying that he thought Locker deserved another year

lol something I saw on twitter that might explain the decision from Whiz a little better.

Nashville>>>Detroit.

Good point. He has to win right now in DET, and maybe he thinks he can't. TEN has some talent and very little immediate pressure, though I do remember the new owner saying that he thought Locker deserved another year

Maybe Whiz is ok with giving him another year while he grooms his own QB?

E: Eh that's kind of strong by YH. Not sure you tell someone that just b/c of their team's perceived failure, but that's the way it goes!

So that one year defines Caldwell? I'm not too familiar with him, outside of knowing he had a great couple years in Indy before Peyton got hurt. He's generally viewed as a bad playcaller?

Tenumi

Banned
It's trash talk dude. Everyone is fine, except for gata.

"Trash talk" as you guys call it doesn't consist of mentally damaging statements. I've faced more than my fair share of attacks on me, mentally and physically, in my life. You guys have no idea how hard it is to get up and live some days.

To me, statements like that cross a line that shouldn't be crossed. Would you really want somebody's blood on your hands if your statement is the last straw that pushes them past the point of no return?

I completely understand that this is a Competitive sport. But now more than ever, mental health is a major issue that needs to be spotlighted. The simplest changes in speech can make a difference.

Syrinx

You could do worse than Jake Locker at QB, it's his durability that's the issue. They're probably not in a position to draft his immediate replacement either.

Fantomex

At least, that's my educated analysis on the topic.

Trash talk, how does it work?

So that one year defines Caldwell? I'm not too familiar with him, outside of knowing he had a great couple years in Indy before Peyton got hurt. He's generally viewed as a bad playcaller?

He's total shit. That 09 year was all Peyton. He was literally playing at an inhuman level that year.

So per Darlington while Farmer has been the front runner for the dolphins GM job, they are taking their time, still need to interview more candidates and plan on doing second interviews when that is finished, so basically nothing will be done this week it seems. Might not have a GM by the senior bowl.

"Trash talk" as you guys call it doesn't consist of mentally damaging statements. I've faced more than my fair share of attacks on me, mentally and physically, in my life. You guys have no idea how hard it is to get up and live some days.

To me, statements like that cross a line that shouldn't be crossed. Would you really want somebody's blood on your hands if your statement is the last straw that pushes them past the point of no return?

I completely understand that this is a Competitive sport. But now more than ever, mental health is a major issue that needs to be spotlighted. The simplest changes in speech can make a difference.

Yea...no. We're grown men here, and people bust each others balls in good fun. Nobody needs to be coddled here. And I bet when Kas emerges from the bar around midnight he'll be fine with the insults. Because they're not meant to be mean.

Top Bottom