• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Why are Det's options limited to Whiz or Caldwell?

Aren't there any up and coming college coaches or assistant who fly under the radar capable of getting looks?

Hell the coaching staffs of SF, Seattle, Denver (offense), and even the Pats should get a look.

If Caldwell is the leading candidate but they want to wait on some of the remaining playoffs teams coaches, then there is no rush. Whiz is no big "omg can't believe we missed out on him" candidate.

Good points. I do think we should look at some of the assistant coaches coming out of San Fran, Seattle, Denver (or maybe some other teams).

I would have liked to have Whisenhunt, and still think out of all the teams that had vacancies we were the most appealing. It's not the end of the world that Whisenhunt didn't sign with us, but it does look kind of bad. But like you said its not like Bill Belichick or one of the Harbaughs brothers were available.

I'd really like to get an account of what went on behind the scenes and what Mayhew is thinking in terms of back up plans.

Bread

Banned
Seriously though for as much as he posts one could make an argument that Gata has claim to the throne.
you need the respect of peers to become king

well, unless you are the product of an incestuous relationship like joffrey

hm maybe gata is the king

rando14

OMG OMG OMG please tell me that montage of Archer is the way this season is going to go

58099-Archer-Danger-Zone-gif-5qmk.gif

watching VD mic'd up and what a tenacious blocker he is. this is why i think he is a better TE than a guy like jimmy graham. where was jimmy on saturday when he wasn't getting wide open passes down the field? he couldn't contribute. VD didn't have much of a game receiving (although he had the TD), but he contributed big time in the run game. he does this every week and never complains about the 1 and 2 catch games where he's not getting a lot of targets

i love you VD!

Godslay

Banned
you need the respect of peers to become king

well, unless you are the product of an incestuous relationship like joffrey

hm maybe gata is the king

A King takes what he wants and has no peers. A good King won't kill you for having an opinion though.

As far as his ancestry his people don't want their blood the polluted by the unwashed, degenerate masses therefore they must keep it to cousins.

Doorman

Aren't there any up and coming college coaches or assistant who fly under the radar capable of getting looks?

Hell the coaching staffs of SF, Seattle, Denver (offense), and even the Pats should get a look.

If Caldwell is the leading candidate but they want to wait on some of the remaining playoffs teams coaches, then there is no rush. Whiz is no big "omg can't believe we missed out on him" candidate.

I agree with all of this in principle, but then it creates the problem of perception. We've already taken a hit with all of the reports being out of "oh yeah Ken Wisenhunt is the frontrunner and always has been" to not get him, how does it look that Caldwell was interviewed back in the start of all this, we continue to wait on more teams getting knocked out, only to circle back around and hire Caldwell as the coach? Would Caldwell be okay with knowing that he was an eternal backup while we continued searching for someone "better?" Would that not also demonstrate with a bright neon sign to the rest of the league that the Lions and their management are completely terrible at identifying and obtaining a coaching staff that they really feel will be successful?

I mean, I know the latter is already believed by most folks, but let's not give it any extra help. If Caldwell is going to be the answer, then they might as well do it sooner rather than later and attempt to save at least a little bit of face.

rando14

watching VD mic'd up and what a tenacious blocker he is. this is why i think he is a better TE than a guy like jimmy graham. where was jimmy on saturday when he wasn't getting wide open passes down the field? he couldn't contribute. VD didn't have much of a game receiving (although he had the TD), but he contributed big time in the run game. he does this every week and never complains about the 1 and 2 catch games where he's not getting a lot of targets

i love you VD!

I was about to type a troll post but you know what, I refuse to jinx myself cause I know that once I try and act like a tough guy VD's gonna go for 120 yards and 2 TD's on Sunday!! I gotta check myself before I wreck myself!! 8-(

A King takes what he wants and has no peers. A good King won't kill you for having an opinion though.

As far as his ancestry his people don't want their blood the polluted by the unwashed, degenerate masses therefore they must keep it to cousins.

Gata is more of a Robert Arryn

j/k gata

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No reason to rush at this point.

Farooq

Banned
Looking at DE and DT draft prospects (the Cowboys most glaring needs.) Starting with the DE, how much stock do you guys place in production value? Generally, anything above 1.5 is elite talent, and anything above 2.0 is exceptional talent.

Production Value = (Sacks+Tackle for Loss)/Number of Games Played.

Production value of standout players from the last three drafts:
xGUwz5y.png

Production value of prospective DE's in this years draft(rank according to CBS sports big board):
m7vzjvU.png

effzee

I agree with all of this in principle, but then it creates the problem of perception. We've already taken a hit with all of the reports being out of "oh yeah Ken Wisenhunt is the frontrunner and always has been" to not get him, how does it look that Caldwell was interviewed back in the start of all this, we continue to wait on more teams getting knocked out, only to circle back around and hire Caldwell as the coach? Would Caldwell be okay with knowing that he was an eternal backup while we continued searching for someone "better?" Would that not also demonstrate with a bright neon sign to the rest of the league that the Lions and their management are completely terrible at identifying and obtaining a coaching staff that they really feel will be successful?

I mean, I know the latter is already believed by most folks, but let's not give it any extra help. If Caldwell is going to be the answer, then they might as well do it sooner rather than later and attempt to save at least a little bit of face.

But why does it matter? Say in the end out of all the guys they do decide Caldwell seems like the best candidate and they go with him. So because he wasn't the #1 choice or the choice the media led everyone to believe, the Lions should worry? What if he comes in and fixed the problems they have and has a successful run?

Media perception is their own creation. All these fools claim to have inside sources and then bang the drums about how they are so sure so and so is going here or there. And then when it doesn't come true to cover their own credibility they blame the organization or say they are dysfunctional.

I don't know what the Lions FO's perception is. To be honest I don't hear about them like I do other organizations like the Raiders (until recently).

jakncoke

Banned
If i stick with the show I'll go all the way most likely, I can't just quit shows haha. Except I still haven't gone back to finish the last couple episodes of weeds.

Thats my thoughts. Glad I didnt, people act like the last 4 seasons will give you crabs, but I dont regret seeing the final 4

Also we need to send Konka to Australia for all these criminal offense on pizza.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The Yahoo article covering it already was posted:

Here's why that 'Colin Kaepernick is self-centered and Russell Wilson is not' comparison is incredibly unfair

Maybe that's not the image that Seahawks fans or Kaepernick haters see (or want to see) when they think of him, but it's important to note that both quarterbacks share something more than just an onfield job description. There are so many good storylines in this NFC championship that we don't need to set up some sort of Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader narrative between the guys under center.

And so, in the interest of fairness, we've decided to show a few good photos of Kaepernick hanging with his kids at Camp Taylor. These deserve to be shared on Twitter and Facebook a lot more than that misguided comparison photo that ends with "Go Hawks!"

i'm not kap's #1 fan or anything (highly critical at times!) but it really gets my wiener going when i see people so butt hurt over kap and he just doesn't give a fuck!

i've had people at work and other places say they dont like kap because he's a thug. then i say how is he a thug? and they can't really say beyond well he wears his hat backwards, has a bunch of tats and i dont like how he dresses. what does any of this have to do with anything? people just can't stand that a guy who isn't your run-of-the-mill media ass kissing cliche spouting QB is having success in the NFL

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Just because you can put on more make up doesn't mean you should. That girl goes from smoking hot to repulsive pretty quickly.

Top Bottom