• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Divisional |OT| Don't Call It A Comeback

squicken

So, uh, the Ravens would really like it if Detroit hired Caldwell

If Jim Caldwell is hired by the Detroit Lions, it would make life easier for the Baltimore Ravens and their offensive coordinator.

The worst-case scenario is Caldwell not getting a head coaching job this offseason. That would lead to a tough decision for the Ravens as well as Caldwell.

The Ravens admire Caldwell as a person and as a coach, but the offense finished 29th in total yards and 25th in scoring in his first full season as coordinator. And, even if the Ravens want him to return, I'm not entirely sure Caldwell wants to come back as the playcaller.

More at link

Theyre just haters.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Man still thinking about how many changes CAR had to put up TDs yesterday. Score could have been easily tied or very close.

Definitely should have scored at least one of those opportunities at the goal line. Oh well, not going to play the What If? game. Outside of a few good drives, Niners outplayed them for the whole 60 minutes and deserved to win.

I can't cosign Mitchell or Captain whining about the refs. It'd be one thing if the game swung on bad call. That wasn't the case. They got their ass beat with or without the refs. Play better and you can overcome those few bad calls. Otherwise, sucks to suck.

Detroit, you're getting a great coach and a great human being in Jim Caldwell and I wish the best for you both. May I also offer you this barely used Juan Castillo in exchange for a starting center?

Eleuin

Why the fuck are guys on gata's balls all the time. We have tons of laker fans that aren't from Cali or LA on NBA thread. Nobody gives them shit there.
I don't think I've read of anyone admitting they cheer for the lakers and aren't from Cali/LA, I'd mock them accordingly.

Well besides the kobe stans and two teamers but they don't count.

Hunter S.

Why the fuck are guys on gata's balls all the time. We have tons of laker fans that aren't from Cali or LA on NBA thread. Nobody gives them shit there.
We have standards. We have honor. We have class. We have balls and fortitude. We have taste in a great sport and not a bore festival of calling fouls on every play. We like a physical sport.

rokkerkory

Definitely should have scored at least one of those opportunities at the goal line. Oh well, not going to play the What If? game. Outside of a few good drives, Niners outplayed them for the whole 60 minutes and deserved to win.

I can't cosign Mitchell or Captain whining about the refs. It'd be one thing if the game swung on bad call. That wasn't the case. They got their ass beat with or without the refs. Play better and you can overcome those few bad calls. Otherwise, sucks to suck.

Yeah they got outplayed for sure, no ifs and butts about it. Esp in 2nd half, CAR looked terrible. =/

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've been very busy with work (4 AM-5PM), got home, checked NFLGAF quick (before Profootballtalk) and heard the news.

As Doorman said it was a pretty weak year as far as head coaches are concerned and we possibly lost out on O'Brien waiting for Whisenhunt (though who knows). I just don't see anyway the Titans are a better job without a QB, a ridiculous contract to a RB and no recievers to speak of. Not only that but we have a higher draft pick at #10 than the Titan do at #11.

I think it probably came down to how the defense was going to be run. If he wanted to run a 3-4, there is no way you come in and change that right now when we just drafted Ansah as a defensive end, and have Suh and Fairley at DT. Suh will get the contract extension he deserves and we'll ride Fairleys rookie contract till the end when we eventually get his replacement. I honestly believe that is probably the reason he choose the Titans over us.

On offense we have a proven Quarterback, Calvin Johnson, the #10 pick, two solid RBs, one of the best offensive lines. On defense we have Ndamakung Suh and a great supporting cast of defensive lineman. I don't care what anyone says we had a better coaching opportunity in Detroit if he wanted to win immediatly.

His loss. He can go to the Titans, draft a QB with no experience in the NFL, a shitty cast of RBs and WRs (other than Britt who will probably be traded) and get fired in two years. Bring on Jim Caldwell and bring on the draft.

Drakeon

I've been very busy with work (4 AM-5PM), got home, checked NFLGAF quick (before Profootballtalk) and heard the news.

As Doorman said it was a pretty weak year as far as head coaches are concerned and we possibly lost out on O'Brien waiting for Whisenhunt (though who knows). I just don't see anyway the Titans are a better job without a QB, a ridiculous contract to a RB and no recievers to speak of. Not only that but we have a higher draft pick at #10 than the Titan do at #11.

I think it probably came down to how the defense was going to be run. If he wanted to run a 3-4, there is no way you come in and change that right now when we just drafted Ansah as a defensive end, and have Suh and Fairley at DT. Suh will get the contract extension he deserves and we'll ride Fairleys rookie contract till the end when we eventually get his replacement. I honestly believe that is probably the reason he choose the Titans over us.

On offense we have a proven Quarterback, Calvin Johnson, the #10 pick, two solid RBs, one of the best offensive lines. On defense we have Ndamakung Suh and a great supporting cast of defensive lineman. I don't care what anyone says we had a better coaching opportunity in Detroit if he wanted to win immediatly.

His loss. He can go to the Titans, draft a QB with no experience in the NFL, a shitty cast of RBs and WRs (other than Britt who will probably be traded) and get fired in two years. Bring on Jim Caldwell and bring on the draft.

Whats your Cap Situation like? Isn't it going to be terrible w/ Suh wanting to get paid and Megatron/Stafford already paid?

You guys should take a look at Greg Roman. He's a really special guy. Give him an interview! You won't be disappointed.

The 2015 draft? Caldwell will get you a good pick.

:jnc :jnc

squicken

I

Could just be Whiz got roster control in TEN, and we know Mayhew has that in Detroit. Coaches always want as much power as they can get. After his stint in AZ, I'm not sure how wise it is for him to be making all those personnel decisions

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The 2015 draft? Caldwell will get you a good pick.

No the 2014 draft.

And Caldwell doesn't make the picks. Martin Mayhew and his scouts make the picks and I'm more than confident in the draft picks he makes.

Even when he messed up with say Jahvid Best or Titus Young they were still extremely talented players but didn't work out for one reason or another. It happens. But Mayhew is one of the best GMs in the league IMO so as usual I'll be confident with who he decides to pick.

Godslay

Banned
2. all broncos fans are welcome

They always have been going back to the Orton days. Whether they stick around or not is up to them. I've been doing it the same way this whole time, it would be hypocritical to change as more people post.

Sorry you can't handle the love, are you mad that Gata never welcomed you aboard the Pat's bandwagon? I'm sure Gata would welcome you in a heartbeat. If you just kiss the ring.

squicken

Titans/Detroit fans will want to read this. Thoughts from the Cardinals beat writer on the Whiz hire

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kentsomers/2014/01/13/whisenhunt-to-the-titans-initial-thoughts/

When Ken Whisenhunt didn’t get another head coaching job in the weeks after being fired by the Cardinals, he obviously had a plan.

He had the choice of several offers to be a coordinator. He chose the Chargers because of coach Mike McCoy and because of quarterback Philip Rivers. Get Rivers back on track and Whisenhunt would be regarded as a hot head coaching candidate.

Mission accomplished.

There are reports out there that the Lions were waiting on Whisenhunt and he chose the Titans instead. I have little inside knowledge but I’m skeptical. Why turn down a chance to coach the Lions, who have a quarterback (Matthew Stafford), a great receiver (Calvin Johnson), and a formidable defensive line?

The Titans have talent, but not at quarterback. And in the NFL, a quarterback is everything.

So I’m dubious that Whisenhunt chose the Titans over the Lions. It makes me wonder if the Lions wanted someone else, or at least wanted to interview and talk to others.

More at link

Spinluck

Caldwell might not have had the hardest coaching job on Indy lol. But he'll be an upgrade over that incest child they had before him.

:kas will probably rejoice to this. He's able to convince himself that Stafford is a top 5 QB. So finding all the good in this should be easy for him.

Bread

Banned
They always have been going back to the Orton days. Whether they stick around or not is up to them. I've been doing it the same way this whole time, it would be hypocritical to change as more people post.

Sorry you can't handle the love, are you mad that Gata never welcomed you aboard the Pat's bandwagon? I'm sure Gata would welcome you in a heartbeat. If you just kiss the ring.
love stinks, and so does the gata.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Titans/Detroit fans will want to read this. Thoughts from the Cardinals beat writer on the Whiz hire

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kentsomers/2014/01/13/whisenhunt-to-the-titans-initial-thoughts/

More at link

Very intresting read. He does sound like the type of guy who wants total control, and Mayhew was probably not going to relinquish total control to him. Especially if its true that he wanted to run a 3-4 defense instead of a 4-3 defense with the recent picks Mayhew has made on our defensive line (Fairley, Ansah). Mayhew is looking out for his neck and I understand that.

And I didn't get the chance to post this, but the past few weeks Tony Dungy was campaigning very hard for Caldwell to be the Lions coach. I found that very interesting, it was as if he had some sort of insider information that Mayhew was leaning toward Caldwell. If that was the case then why wait for Whisenhunt to finally be available? Who knows but as a GM you want to keep all options available.

Doorman

Kind of painful to read that and think that a guy who isn't even wanted as a coordinator would become a head coach. At the same time, though, if Caldwell came in here he would be as a head coach and would hire some other coordinator to actually run most of the offense. It really comes down to what sort of support staff he would put around him, but even there I don't expect to be impressed.

On offense we have a proven Quarterback, Calvin Johnson, the #10 pick, two solid RBs, one of the best offensive lines. On defense we have Ndamakung Suh and a great supporting cast of defensive lineman. I don't care what anyone says we had a better coaching opportunity in Detroit if he wanted to win immediately.
No need to turn it into a big debate now, but he hasn't exactly proven anything yet, and even if he does turn out to be good there's no guarantee that Whisenhunt thought so, or thought that he could necessarily get Stafford up to the level he needs to be. Caldwell's already broken down Matt's film and talked to him about it, so at least it sounds like there's the potential for some rapport there, but from this year on there needs to be pressure on Stafford, from coaching and fans alike. We haven't yet seen if he's capable of dealing with that.

Talon

He's your favorite quarterback's favorite quarterback tho

tumblr_mnrzikIY1m1rge74zo1_500.jpg
Dem BC ties run deep.

BC and Mizzou produce a lot more NFL talent than you'd think for two largely listless programs. Especially BC.

Seriously, brosef, a 6'5" 230 lb man has no business flopping. Surprised Smitty hasn't slapped that shit out of him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In scanning some Lions message boards, I'm amazed at how many people don't want Caldwell. I don't think I've seen one that actually wants him.

Oddly, the name I see thrown around as most desired coach is Gary Kubiak. I've also seen Jack Del Rio as well. Ugh.

Konka

Banned
In scanning some Lions message boards, I'm amazed at how many people don't want Caldwell. I don't think I've seen one that actually wants him.

Oddly, the name I see thrown around as most desired coach is Gary Kubiak. I've also seen Jack Del Rio as well. Ugh.

Shame you guys missed out on Lane Kiffin.

squicken

I'd rather have Kubes than Del Rio but that's really choosing which form of anal parasites I'd want

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Whats your Cap Situation like? Isn't it going to be terrible w/ Suh wanting to get paid and Megatron/Stafford already paid?

You guys should take a look at Greg Roman. He's a really special guy. Give him an interview! You won't be disappointed.

The cap situation is ideal, IMO. We have money tied up in Stafford and Megatron but thats fine. The Niners and Seahawks will feel the ramifications on the salary cap when they have to pay Wilson and Kaep in the offseason.

That obviously will trickle down and both teams will have to make some cuts. There is no way the Seahawks will be able to pay Wilson, Sherman, Earl Thomas, Marshawn Lynch, offensive lineman etc. all together.

The most important thing with a teams salary cap is making sure you have your money tied up to a QB you believe in, and a couple of key pieces around him. In our case we have money tied up to Stafford, Megatron and I think Suh will get his extension and become our anchor of th defense for a while to come.

I've already accepted the fact that we won't be able to keep both Fairley and Suh in the long run. Thats fine, we can use Fairley for the next few years, let him walk and then draft his replacement.

As long as you do well in the draft, and have a franchise QB (which Stafford is and the stats prove it) the rest will fall into place. We shored up the right side of our offensive line this past draft with Larry Warford and LaDrian Waddle. When they want there paydays in 3-5 years we'll deal with that when it comes up.

Top Bottom