• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

My condolences.

Pinkston sucks more as Shaun Lavou our other starting OG has the same damn thing suffered last week.

Poor Dion Lewis, was having an excellent camp. Can be back by week 10 though.

Mingo will most likely be back Week 1, maybe even preseason 4. With the x-rays negative, the overnight hospital stay is just precaution to make sure it doesn't swell or do anything overnight, he reported no more pain.

Barnadge's injury opens the door for Kellen Davis as the #2 TE now.

I wonder if they are related. Truer words have never been spoken.

To those that have seen the eagles game: is Vick improving in his pocket awareness and finding the open lanes? Or is he still throwing balls into the d lineman's forearms?

What? lol.

The Injuries suck, hope we can get through the rest of the preseason without any more, we've certainly had our share now.

Furyous

I just caught up on the Browns preseason game. Brandon Weeden
fucking sucks. I wouldn't care in he went 25 for 25 with three touchdowns.
Our running back depth is gone.

Legit Seahawks fans are cool. You bandwagon mofos that jumped on during the Super Bowl run can kick rocks. Pete Carroll is the best thing that's happened to that football team in years, respectfully speaking. I look forward to Fitz ***ing one of your cornerbacks.

Gaf is a far reaching forum because there's someone repping the WSU cougars in their avatar.

The preseason is meaningless for everyone but God's Son. This his time to shine and show the world those 316 passing yards were not a joke. Tom Brady should take the preseason off. I need him healthy for my fantasy run.

JABEE

Has anyone noticed that Fox Sports's articles have become complete shit? Every single one of them are commentary on what some random fan said on Twitter and some funny gif that people posted on another site.

What has Gawker and Reddit done to reporting? There is nothing interesting to read on their site about last night's Eagles preseason game.

Striker

I just caught up on the Browns preseason game. Brandon Weeden
fucking sucks. I wouldn't care in he went 25 for 25 with three touchdowns.
Our running back depth is gone
Fortunately there's a million backs still on the market, and some might drop in cuts.

With Lewis out it might sting for the KR game because it seemed like he was headed as the primary one.

squicken

Fisher doesn't condone cheating like Pete and Harbs

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ec2eef4b-9d71-53d9-a0f2-fbf6b07b0e88.html

“We’ve known about it for some time and, obviously, we’ve been dealing with it,’’ the coach said. “First and foremost, we’re very, very disappointed in his choices and his decisions. It’s selfish, it hurts the team, but we also see it as an opportunity to learn from a mistake. We discussed it with the entire squad last night and I think everybody understands the responsibility that each and every player has as far as taking care of himself and what you can do and what you can’t do."

Will Witherspoon, in his 12th NFL season, will replace Dunbar in the starting lineup during the suspension and began getting some work alongside fellow starters James Laurinaitis and rookie Alec Ogletree during Thursday’s practice.

Fisher said the team was aware of Dunbar’s impending suspension when it signed Witherspoon to a one-year deal in mid July.

“But that wasn’t why we signed Will,’’ Fisher said, equating Dunbar’s absence to the loss of an injured player.

“It would make total sense for us right now to move Will Witherspoon up,’’ the coach said. “We’re glad he’s here; he’s started a lot of games. Then, we’ll make a decision when Jo-Lonn comes back as to who’s going to take that position.’’

In other words, there’s no guarantee the job will be Dunbar’s once he returns.

Cheat and lose your job. Laugh if you want, but tell me an NFL coach that has come out this strongly against a player failing a PED test?

Class

Milchjon

I don't know about you assholes, but I think I'm safe!

iEiRpZNBlEkNC.gif

Ahahaha.

For the record, I love gatas comebacks. At least he doesn't repeat himself over and over and over again.

Also, what's up with the hate in here last night. We didn't do nothing wrong!

squicken

Does Philip Rivers have anything left? A team that has good pieces on offense but no QB is Tennessee. Seems like a mutually beneficial trade as long as SD doesn't expect Carson Palmer compensation. What are they going to do with Rivers? They have a QB and nothing else. TEN has everything else but no QB

ChanHuk

Banned
Does Philip Rivers have anything left? A team that has good pieces on offense but no QB is Tennessee. Seems like a mutually beneficial trade as long as SD doesn't expect Carson Palmer compensation. What are they going to do with Rivers? They have a QB and nothing else. TEN has everything else but no QB

Rivers plays like a coward nowadays. Then again, he gets no protection up front.

squicken

Rivers plays like a coward nowadays. Then again, he gets no protection up front.

Yeah and he's a total twat on the field now, so I'm not really sure how much value he has. I really didn't watch much SD last year so I'm just thinking hypothetically. I like TEN on the OL, WR, and RB. But Locker is so bad, though I think he's also had awful coaching.

ChanHuk

Banned
Yeah and he's a total twat on the field now, so I'm not really sure how much value he has. I really didn't watch much SD last year so I'm just thinking hypothetically. I like TEN on the OL, WR, and RB. But Locker is so bad, though I think he's also had awful coaching.

Rivers is older, but he's still worth a first rounder. He can make all the throws, just a matter of confidence now since he's faced so many attempted murders behind his line.

bionic77

Ravens had like 46 plays compared to ATL's 82. Ravens offense is going to be really week to week. Some weeks they will keep that defense on the field a lot b/c they don't have the personnel to sustain drives
I don't take a lot away from a preseason game.

I just hope that I was right that you can run it right at Dumervil and that my coaches are smart enough to recognize this and take advantage
they aren't :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Really bummed out about Dion Lewis. He was looking sexy out there.

Either way suck it down BG and BG alt! Weeden slangin' it!

But like I said we all know he's not the QB of the future, he's just going to be the guy to hold the fort until we draft our next QB either in this draft or the next one.

DEAL WITH IT!

Especially with believing Jason Campbell can do anything but suck.

Really bummed out about Dion Lewis. He was looking sexy out there.

Either way suck it down BG and BG alt! Weeden slangin' it!

But like I said we all know he's not the QB of the future, he's just going to be the guy to hold the fort until we draft our next QB either in this draft or the next one.

DEAL WITH IT!

Especially with believing Jason Campbell can do anything but suck.
all im trying to say.

Nameless

He's always been a bit reckless, but his flaws have been glaring without LT and a non-washed up Antonio Gates masking them. The Charges have done a shit job building around him.

Why give up on him already? I think he has potential to be a legitimate long term starter. Then again, I'm a Dolphins fan so it doesn't take much to impress me at the QB position.

i really wouldn't call it giving up, i just think its a bit naive to believe even if Weeden has a great year we wont draft a QB reasonably high. We drafted no one last year, and picked up a bunch of FA guys. You have to believe we would hand pick someone to develop. I guess look at it as more of a Alex Smith/Kaep situation. We inherited a guy that can be good for us, but we'll still look to the future. I'm not hoping Weeden fails or anything, im just stating what i believe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
all im trying to say.

You should still accept him in your heart these next few years like you accept Tebow.

Why give up on him already? I think he has potential to be a legitimate long term starter. Then again, I'm a Dolphins fan so it doesn't take much to impress me at the QB position.

The front office definitely hates him for some odd reason. Lombardi while on NFL Network has said how terrible he felt he was. Plus the insinuation someone high up on the Browns have been leaking their dislike of him to the media.

Fact is he's not the guy this regime drafted so they want him out but ironically enough Weeden doing well will bide them time to not reach on a QB and develop him well.

squicken

You should still accept him in your heart these next few years like you accept Tebow.

The front office definitely hates him for some odd reason. Lombardi while on NFL Network has said how terrible he felt he was. Plus the insinuation someone high up on the Browns have been leaking their dislike of him to the media.

Fact is he's not the guy this regime drafted so they want him out but ironically enough Weeden doing well will bide them time to not reach on a QB and develop him well.

Yeah it's weird, I was reading something from Grossi and he was saying that the execs still, not so privately, kill him with the media. I know there were whispers that he's not worked hard or been a good leader. But it seems they are so desperate to distance themselves from him that it's hard to know what it true. It's just odd they would dump on a guy they and their coaches need

Chud was talking about there still being a competition, and Joe Thomas came out and said it sure didn't seem like it. It makes you wonder if the coaches have to appease the front office in the press but are going about the day to day trying to win

Godslay

Banned
I don't take a lot away from a preseason game.

I just hope that I was right that you can run it right at Dumervil and that my coaches are smart enough to recognize this and take advantage
they aren't :(

Yeah it's pretty well known that Doom is a mediocre at best defending the run. More than makes up for it though with getting at the QB. Although linemen who can counter the bullrush seem to shut him down.

Edit: Why do you not accept the Ginger Savior BG? Norv is going to make him the man.

ChanHuk

Banned
Yeah it's pretty well known that Doom is a mediocre at best defending the run. More than makes up for it though with getting at the QB. Although linemen who can counter the bullrush seem to shut him down.

Edit: Why do you not accept the Ginger Savior BG? Norv is going to make him the man.

Doom is a midget of a d-lineman @ 5'11 250lbs. Easy to see why you run it right at him.

Bowser

Panthers/Eagles observations (only watched the first half, had a commitment the 2nd half)

1. RIP Drayton Florence.

2. I don't know if the Panthers were so much surprised at the Eagles' tempo as much as they just couldn't keep up. Save for the Eagles and Pats, I don't think any other team in the league is going to play at that fast of a pace all game long. The Panthers strength is their front 7, and if they can't get push or don't have time to get push, the secondary will get eaten alive. Doesn't bode well for the Pats Monday nighter, but I'm not as concerned with the Panthers not being able to handle the pace. It is, after all, preseason. But yes, a minor concern.

3. The O-Line is a real concern. I hope Gettleman is just waiting for final cuts to shore it up and doesn't plan to go with the trash we have right now. The left side of the line is fine, but the right side is shaky and we have absolutely no depth. We need a vet at RG. Garry Williams is a career backup.

4. Happy to see a commitment to running the ball. DeAngelo wasn't busting too many huge runs, but was consistently getting 3-4 yard chunks except for the few times when an O-Lineman would COMPLETELY MISS a block and get D-Will dropped right as got the ball.

5. Offense has been a bit inconsistent this preseason, but I'm not too worried. Cam has always looked ok to borderline terrible in preseason, then plays pretty well when the real bullets are flying for the most part. Steve Smith is still Steve Smith. I didn't get to see the 2nd half, but once again David Gettis was our leading receiver for the second straight game (5 rec, 82 yds). Once thought to be in danger of being cut, I think Gettis has solidified a roster spot at this point and may end up challenging for the #2 WR with more performances like this (honestly, long-term, I think he is better than LaFell and has the potential to take over for Smitty as the #1 in the future).

i really wouldn't call it giving up, i just think its a bit naive to believe even if Weeden has a great year we wont draft a QB reasonably high. We drafted no one last year, and picked up a bunch of FA guys. You have to believe we would hand pick someone to develop. I guess look at it as more of a Alex Smith/Kaep situation. We inherited a guy that can be good for us, but we'll still look to the future. I'm not hoping Weeden fails or anything, im just stating what i believe.

Gotcha, I'm with you guys now. I think I remember briefly seeing you guys mention the front office's thoughts on Weeden before, but I never realized they were that down on the guy. I think they should try to keep more of an open mind and at least see how he does in year two before making any major proclamations. But, like you said Kave, he isn't their guy.

I'll be honest though, I've been very impressed with the Browns first team in preseason so far. I know it's preseason but at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see them compete for the AFCN title, especially if they can stop getting so many people hurt.

Godslay

Banned
Doom is a midget of a d-lineman @ 5'11 250lbs. Easy to see why you run it right at him.

Sure. That compact power combined with long arms gives him leverage on lineman going the other way. I would keep him on the field on rushing plays either way. He's good enough to stay on the field.

I will say it is quite a difference seeing Robert Ayers stop the run. He's really good. But he sucks at pressuring the QB, so that limits him more than Doom. More premium placed on getting after the QB.

ChanHuk

Banned
Its a passing league you want more pass rushers than run stoppers nowadays. I guess I just come from an old school mentality of establish the run and you dominate the game. Unless of course your name is Aaron Rodgers.

bionic77

I am sure Dumervil will get his share of sacks, but he was not dominating the LOS. And more importantly neither was Suggs. When Suggs was having a good game he was a game changer, especially against the shit lines we used to field against the Rats. In the limited time I watched Canty seemed to be getting the most pressure, and I am not even sure that is how they intend to use him most of the time.

I also don't know how much of this being a preseason games accounts for anything I saw. These guys may just have been trying to save themselves from injury. And maybe Atlanta has a beast offensive line.

Its a passing league you want more pass rushers than run stoppers nowadays. I guess I just come from an old school mentality of establish the run and you dominate the game. Unless of course your name is Aaron Rodgers.
And yet the two teams in the Superbowl set up everything with the run and San Fran at least ran through and over everyone.

ChanHuk

Banned
Speaking of run game, are there any cow bell backs left in the league?

AP, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Ray Rice, MJD, and that's about it. I wish DMac was a cow bell back but he gets hurt thinking about football. I doubt he's gonna have a bounce back season without a LT for the first half of the season.

I pray to Tebow that the Raiders resign Jared Veldheer, most underrated LT in the game. Maybe he'll be cheaper to sign with his injury. Actually HoFlynn is probably gonna die now because of Veldheer being out. Pryor time I suppose.

Godslay

Banned
I am sure Dumervil will get his share of sacks, but he was not dominating the LOS. And more importantly neither was Suggs. When Suggs was having a good game he was a game changer, especially against the shit lines we used to field against the Rats. In the limited time I watched Canty seemed to be getting the most pressure, and I am not even sure that is how they intend to use him most of the time.

I also don't know how much of this being a preseason games accounts for anything I saw. These guys may just have been trying to save themselves from injury. And maybe Atlanta has a beast offensive line.

We can try to downplay it, but the guy is a playmaker. More so on 3rd down (obvious pass situations), but he gets the job done. He doesn't always dominate the line, and can get completely shutdown, but I would say that's more of the exception.

The other part that I think is underestimated about Doom is that he was a vocal leader and team captain. It's been said that trait is what they missed most about Doom this year. He was clearly very good in this role, and veteran leadership is very valuable.

Yes, he's flawed, but after watching and reading about training camp, I would love to have him back. It's taking multiple guys (Phillips and Ayers) to fill his role, so that sucks. Additionally, no one has really taken the leadership role on the line yet, so that's another thing. Now we have to swap guys in and out for run/pass defense. Leaving the risk of them being trapped on the field, rather than one guy that does one thing really good and the other good enough. They are significantly cheaper though, and maybe combined good enough to replace him. Assuming that someone steps up to fill that leadership void.

Top Bottom