• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

gutshot

The pace of Kelly's offense is going to absolutely destroy some defenses this year.

The defensive line appeared to wear down against Philadelphia’s fast-break attack, which first-year coach Chip Kelly brought from the University of Oregon. The Panthers’ only two sacks were by a pair of defensive ends not expected to make the roster – Wes Horton and Louis Ngezwu.

Carolina coach Ron Rivera said the Eagles’ play-action passing game slowed the pass rush, but rookie defensive tackle Star Lotulelei said the Eagles’ rapid-fire approach left him winded.

“I got tired, but that’s all part of the game. Just got to fight through it, get to the next play and keep sound fundamentals,” Lotulelei said. “Get off the ball is what we teach in our defensive line room. So that’s what I have to do.”

Source

Jordan Cameron is going to catch 10+ TDs this year. Stud in the making.
His main problems been staying healthy, I was on the bandwagon last year but he couldn't stay on the field. I'd love him to become a great TE but im gonna keep my expectations low at first.

If they send Wallace to beat the db on a fly he will be open any play. If they send him on practically any other route, not so much.
Hey Deacon, would you mind telling us how you feel about Wallace's route running abilities? Given how rarely you've commented on it I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The guy who is going to benefit is Hartline.
I'm mostly worried about Wallace's attitude eventually becoming an issue if he doesn't get enough targets. Hopefully that won't be a problem, but if the chemistry doesn't develop quickly I could see it causing some tension.

ChanHuk

Banned
Hey Deacon, would you mind telling us how you feel about Wallace's route running abilities? Given how rarely you've commented on it I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm mostly worried about Wallace's attitude eventually becoming an issue if he doesn't get enough targets. Hopefully that won't be a problem, but if the chemistry doesn't develop quickly I could see it causing some tension.

He's the epitome of one trick pony he's also not very good at it.

bionic77

James Harrison is 5'11" 242 pounds, and he's (still) the best linebacker in the NFL against the run.
I don't know if I agree with that.

He is still good against the run, but he isn't what he used to be. He used to have such explosive power that he was going to stop anyone in his way in their tracks. I did not see that last year. Last year I can recall times when he was unable to bring someone down and many times when the back got yards after contact. Maybe not a significant amount, but the elite run stoppers don't let that happen.

Haha. Yeah i've been giong on incessantly about him. It's just that every time I think about Wallace as a receiver I think of This play. It was when I officially turned on the guy ever turning into a full fledged receiver. He hates contact. Hates it, and will not put himself in a situation to get nailed. Steelers fans talked about him preserving himself last season because it was a contract year, but this was the freaking Super Bowl.
I don't know if I agree with that.

He is still good against the run, but he isn't what he used to be. He used to have such explosive power that he was going to stop anyone in his way in their tracks. I did not see that last year. Last year I can recall times when he was unable to bring someone down and many times when the back got yards after contact. Maybe not a significant amount, but the elite run stoppers don't let that happen.

Name a better linebacker against the run.

squicken

What were those personal fouls though? I missed the game but if they were those ticky-tack "you hit the other player to hard boo hoo" its nothing to be concerned about.

Suh's hit was late and cheap. Bush got baited into his. Got hit late and retaliated, refs didn't get other guy. Didn't see the third. But it's usual Lions crap. They are undisciplined, and it's a coaching issue

bionic77

Haha. Yeah i've been giong on incessantly about him. It's just that every time I think about Wallace as a receiver I think of This play. It was when I officially turned on the guy ever turning into a full fledged receiver. He hates contact. Hates it, and will not put himself in a situation to get nailed. Steelers fans talked about him preserving himself last season because it was a contract year, but this was the freaking Super Bowl.

As long as you promise to never tell FMT I said this.

Patrick Willis.

(Also on our own team, Timmons. Dude is a fucking beast and was always stopping backs in their tracks).

Tom Penny

Top 10 Overall: Run Defense

1. Bart Scott, BAL & NYJ (+71.2)

2. Patrick Willis, SF (+67.7)

3. NaVorro Bowman, SF (+35.8)

4. Brandon Spikes, NE (+35.5)

5. E.J. Henderson, MIN (+35.3)

6. Derrick Johnson, KC (+32.4)

7. Chad Greenway, MIN (+32.3)

8. Ray Lewis, BAL (+31.7)

9. Mario Haggan, DEN & STL (+29.8)

10. Danny Clark, NYG & NO (+28.8)

Understandable, that wasn't pretty. I don't think myself nor anyone on the Dolphins staff expects Wallace to develop into Anquan Boldin in traffic, but that doesn't mean he can't improve his game in areas other than running in a straight line from his second season in the league. I'm willing to give him at least a year in this new system before I completely write off his ability to run anything but a streak. At the same time, you know what you're getting to some degree just by looking at the guy. He doesn't have the body to be an Andre Johnson, Megatron, or Fitz, and I doubt the Dolphins expect him to be. What he does have that some of those guys don't is insane speed.

BigAT

Guys, Mike Wallace didn't run block or go hard across the middle because the Steelers didn't ask him to. Now that's he has gotten $30 million guaranteed, he'll surely start doing the difficult, physically taxing aspects of football.

squicken

I don't want to rile up Packers fans, but Bedard is dropping some info on issues with Rodgers. Seems like to start his career, when he was 10-14, he went around blaming everyone for everything. Coaches and Thompson wouldn't do anything about it, so there was a players only meeting. Driver and Jennings, amongst other, told him to get his head out of his ass. Rodgers got less whiny but the players never forgot what was underneath the facade.

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/with_replies

As long as you promise to never tell FMT I said this.

Patrick Willis.

(Also on our own team, Timmons. Dude is a fucking beast and was always stopping backs in their tracks).

Against the run? Disagree.

Willis is probably the best all around linebacker in the league but against the run i'd still give it to james. He controlled the backside.

Kansas City was a perfect example. They went after Hood all game on the opposite side because Harrison would stone them.

Godslay

Banned

Is Haggan even playing this year, looks like he went the Rams? I'd take Harrison over him everyday.

I don't want to rile up Packers fans, but Bedard is dropping some info on issues with Rodgers. Seems like to start his career, when he was 10-14, he went around blaming everyone for everything. Coaches and Thompson wouldn't do anything about it, so there was a players only meeting. Driver and Jennings, amongst other, told him to get his head out of his ass. Rodgers got less whiny but the players never forgot what was underneath the facade.

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/with_replies

I didn't say anything because Pack GAF is extremely sensitive about this, but it was really telling that not one but two players (Finley and Jennings) made similar comments about Rodgers. Jennings was a team leader too, so it wasn't likely to be bullshit.

How old is this?

BigAT

What the hell is this list? Danny Clark hasn't played football in like 3 years, and certainly wasn't top 10 in any aspect of being a linebacker even then.

squicken

I didn't say anything because Pack GAF is extremely sensitive about this, but it was really telling that not one but two players (Finley and Jennings) made similar comments about Rodgers. Jennings was a team leader too, so it wasn't likely to be bullshit.

?

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
(Teammates) Never forgot that Rodgers had a hard time taking blame for anything. Still his biggest weakness

Bread

Banned
brandon spikes is obviously the better run stopping linebacker

it's a shame he's too slow and dumb to do anything else

bionic77

Against the run? Disagree.

Willis is probably the best all around linebacker in the league but against the run i'd still give it to james. He controlled the backside.

Kansas City was a perfect example. They went after Hood all game on the opposite side because Harrison would stone them.
Harrison can still stone people, but I would argue that he doesn't do at the rate that younger guys like Timmons and Willis get it done.

Maybe I am being too hard on Harrison though and judging him by the impossibly high standards he set in his prime.

squicken

Eagles offense summed up in one play

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/the-new-eagles-offense-summed-up-in-one-play/

eagles-te-double-stacl2ubi.png

But what this play really demonstrates is how personnel, formation, tempo, and a run-first tendency work in harmony for Kelly’s offense. The multi-tight end set confuses any effort the defense makes at substitution, creating potential mismatches all over the formation. The wide stacks take defenders far from the flow of the play, essentially using space as a blocker. The tempo further confounds substitution and forces defenders to diagnose and react on the fly. The tendency to run whenever the offense has a blocking numbers advantage – coupled with schemes built to create numbers advantages – goes against two decades of NFL evolution, taking players and opposing coaches out of their comfort zone.

Yet for all the high-tech engineering, this play was an off-tackle run on 3rd-and-4. It was nothing that risked a quarterback’s health or required a dozen pitches and reverses. These are 1970s (and earlier) tactics, reimagined and repackaged. A play like this won’t work 100% of the time on 3rd-and-medium, and defenses will learn to adjust. But forcing defenses to adjust, and manipulating the percentages, are two of the best things a coach installing a new system can do at the start of his tenure.

Talon

Meh, who cares about Rodgers. The Driver complaint seems odd as hell to me.

You're a grown ass man. You don't need another grown ass man to take the heat for your own screw ups. If you're going to blush because you got called out, then don't fuck up the next time.

Meh, who cares about Rodgers. The Driver complaint seems odd as hell to me.

You're a grown ass man. You don't need another grown ass man to take the heat for your own screw ups. If you're going to blush because you got called out, then don't fuck up the next time.

That's not the point. The point is a leader doesn't bury his troops. Peyton Manning's worst moment was when the Colts lost to the Steelers and he shit all over his o-linemen to the press. How are these guys gonna want to fight for you if you treat them like shit?

Talon

That's not the point. The point is a leader doesn't bury his troops. Peyton Manning's worst moment was when the Colts lost to the Steelers and he shit all over his o-linemen to the press. How are these guys gonna want to fight for you if you treat them like shit?
I get it. I always praise Matt the most for never, ever turning down the blame. He always puts the blame on himself, even if it's clearly a coach's mistake or a receiver falling down. He rarely takes credit for himself - that Nakamura-fail last season, all Matt did was praise the offensive line for giving him a chance to let the ball go and Roddy for making a ridiculous grab.

I love that about him.

That said, I'd swap him for a heartbeat for Aaron Rodgers, and nobody in that Green Bay locker room would want that swap. He's the best arm talent, the quickest thinker, mechanically sound, and he's able to improvise on broken plays. He's the best QB in the league bar none.

Top Bottom