• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Colasante

Cleveland Browns finally named Brandon Weeden their starter, as if there had been a shred of doubt prior. Which teams are left to name day one starters- the Bills, Jets, and Eagles?

Cleveland Browns finally named Brandon Weeden their starter, as if there had been a shred of doubt prior. Which teams are left to name day one starters- the Bills, Jets, and Eagles?

Vick has taken all the 1st team reps getting ready for Saturdays game. Chip wont name him the starter for what ever reason, but he is definitely the starter.

squicken

Philly's not even the first team to do this, though in the NFL, though. Shannahan ran that bootleg offense with Plummer for years.

Atlanta ran that stretch play in the Vick era based on the same defensive action, although Vick was sort of terrible at making that quick decision.

Yeah I just used Chip as an example since that's what everyone is focused on. New England has done similar stuff for a few years. Ben threw a slant last night out of a run action

I tweeted him with this article/stats and how Newton's only run 4 play fakes this preseason. His response? "Who cares how many times it happened? He still stinks at it"

Apparently this asshat hasn't heard of small sample size.

He had some comments on the Rams DL being shaky a few days back off of seeing one day of practice with the Rams. Fans were kind of like "it's just one practice how can you be so definitive?" So I get your frustration. I like Bedard and he has always been well connected. With Cam, I definitely will watch him on PA the next time I see a game

Talon

He had some comments on the Rams DL being shaky a few days back off of seeing one day of practice with the Rams. Fans were kind of like "it's just one practice how can you be so definitive?" So I get your frustration. I like Bedard and he has always been well connected. With Cam, I definitely will watch him on PA the next time I see a game
This has always been my frustration with national coverage. They're so detached from every team that they're making snap judgments based on small slices - even prejudgments from previous seasons.

Doesn't help that local Atlanta sports coverage is dreadful. Worst sports coverage in the country - written, radio, etc. Just godawful.

Colasante

This has always been my frustration with national coverage. They're so detached from every team that they're making snap judgments based on small slices - even prejudgments from previous seasons.

Doesn't help that local Atlanta sports coverage is dreadful. Worst sports coverage in the country - written, radio, etc. Just godawful.

That's sort of a double-edged sword. I like when national writers come into camp and provide an outside perspective, because it can get pretty insular with regular beat writers regurgitating the same talking points every day. National writers obviously know less about each team because they have to cover all of them, but it's interesting to get their opinions based off of a snapshot, even if you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I tweeted him with this article/stats and how Newton's only run 4 play fakes this preseason. His response? "Who cares how many times it happened? He still stinks at it"

Apparently this asshat hasn't heard of small sample size.
One would think that fakes work better the less you attempt them.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

It's not official until you put the dog:

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

Really no shock there but now it's fucking official. BG and that your alt bow down to your old god! Gondo get indignant!

Now bad news:

#Browns Chud said Dion Lewis' surgery (fractured fibula) went well, will prob go on season-ending IR

There was slight hope maybe he'd only miss half the season but seems most likely he's gone all year. Nothing official will happen yet but it seems all but a sure thing now.

Unless he gets run over by a car in the next two weeks, Sanchez will be starting for the Jets.

Such a strange situation over there. Rex (who's probably a lame duck coach) clearly wants Sanchez, the organization clearly wants Geno.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
damn Seth Payne is going off on Brian Hartline and Richie Incognito. He's saying Incognito is the dirtiest offensive lineman he's ever seen.

Says A. Smith is wrong for taking a swing.

MechDX

damn Seth Payne is going off on Brian Hartline and Richie Incognito. He's saying Incognito is the dirtiest offensive lineman he's ever seen.

Says A. Smith is wrong for taking a swing.

Yeah Fox Sports 1 is pushing this like they have an agenda. Well technically they do for a couple reasons:

1) ESPN beat them to the Von Miller news

2) They are still Fox News.

Now Smith likely suspended first two regular season games. No biggie though since they are against the Chargers and Titans. Crick is the starter when Antonios contract is up at seasons end anyway.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sucks about Dion getting hurt. I really think he could have been good for you guys.

For sure, he was looking amazing in training camp and in the preseason games. Seemed going forward the coaching staff definitely planned to utilize him a lot in the offense.

Also I think this is the first time since the Browns came back that they'll have the same starting QB in back to back seasons! :eek:

PROGRESSS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

For sure, he was looking amazing in training camp and in the preseason games. Seemed going forward the coaching staff definitely planned to utilize him a lot in the offense.

Also I think this is the first time since the Browns came back that they'll have the same starting QB in back to back seasons! :eek:

PROGRESSS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
image.php

jbug617

Banned
Vick named starter for the season.

@RapSheet: And Chip Kelly tells reporters that Michael Vick will be the #Eagles starter for the season.

Colasante

Vick named starter for the season.

@RapSheet: And Chip Kelly tells reporters that Michael Vick will be the #Eagles starter for the season.

I've made the mistake of believing in the Eagles the past two years, but I still think Vick is in line for a really big season if he stays healthy. That defense is going to be such shit though I still can't see them winning more than six games.

Talon

Yeah Fox Sports 1 is pushing this like they have an agenda. Well technically they do for a couple reasons:

1) ESPN beat them to the Von Miller news

2) They are still Fox News.

Now Smith likely suspended first two regular season games. No biggie though since they are against the Chargers and Titans. Crick is the starter when Antonios contract is up at seasons end anyway.
I'm glad our options are:
1. ESPN - EMBRACE DEBATE. WHAT DOES SKIP THINK?
2. Fox Sports 1 - Look at this blonde woman! Look at this blonde woman! Look at the OUTRAGE!!!
3. NBC Sports - Do you guys like hockey?

MechDX

2. Fox Sports 1 - Look at this blonde woman! Look at this blonde woman! Look at the OUTRAGE!!!

NBC/PFT don't like insular comments, they keep removing mine! Why do they hate freedom?

jbug617

Banned

If I had a horse in the race I like NBC Sports.

squicken

That's sort of a double-edged sword. I like when national writers come into camp and provide an outside perspective, because it can get pretty insular with regular beat writers regurgitating the same talking points every day. National writers obviously know less about each team because they have to cover all of them, but it's interesting to get their opinions based off of a snapshot, even if you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah I will challenge talon b/c STL has crap coverage too. It's all Cardinals and the paper has just one beat guy. ESPN went and hired the Rams in-house blogger as their new beat guy. He's a nice guy but still has lots of homerism. I always appreciate the outside views, b/c before the season locals were talking up the DL like it was the Fearsome Foursome

Martin Frank ‏@Mfranknfl2m
Chip on Vick being starter for the season: "it's not a 1-game deal."

Hopefully this means if Vick has a bad game week one the Foles stuff wont start right up.

Bread

Banned
hm

the eagles and browns should give their young qbs a chance! they aren't going anywhere with those old guys controlling their offense.

Talon

Yeah I will challenge talon b/c STL has crap coverage too. It's all Cardinals and the paper has just one beat guy. ESPN went and hired the Rams in-house blogger as their new beat guy. He's a nice guy but still has lots of homerism. I always appreciate the outside views, b/c before the season locals were talking up the DL like it was the Fearsome Foursome
It just gives you a greater appreciation for those handful of guys that actually watch the tape. Mayock is the main national analyst that I respect right now. Same with Jaws. It used to be Dr. Z - bless his soul.

Peter King admits he doesn't even watch half the games.

The worst are by far the Fox and CBS pregame guys. They just are regurgitating the same shit their producers are telling them, it seems like. ESPN varies. There are times when Tom Jackson says something intelligent. Then there are the 99 other times that everyone else says something idiotic. Mike Ditka in particularly seems to just regurgitate what the average joe fan would say.

"Mobile quarterbacks are always going to get hurt."
"Everyone sucks at tackling!"

squicken

The story also detailed the nature of Miller's transgressions. He reportedly tested positive for marijuana and amphetamines after the 2011 lockout, with a second incident occurring more recently. In that incident, Miller apparently spilled a would-be sample, wasn't able to produce a second sample, and then delivered a "diluted" sample after drinking fluids throughout a subsequent practice. It seems like a pretty frustrating way to lose six games of a regular season.

gateway drug

squicken

The WHO has put out multiple reports - most famously the 2004 one - stating that marijuana is not a gateway drug.

Well look at Von Miller. Starts taking pot and gets so caught up in the lifestyle he moves on to crank. Tests positive for both, but can't kick the habit. In fact, he is so jacked up he practices high and is so stoned he can't even pee into a cup w/o spilling it. Then he gets tips from his dealer on how to beat the test and drinks a ton of water, leading to a probable six game suspension. All b/c someone gave him weed. Smokers are jokers

There's no catch all for any news, be it local or national.

Most of the Steelers beat guys are self righteous assholes who think they know everything then are surprised when their camp golden boy gets cut. the good ones are behind paywalls.

I've said this before, but I don't read Peter King for hardcore football info. I read King because he's a personable guy and his writing focuses on the human element of Football.

Well look at Von Miller. Starts taking pot and gets so caught up in the lifestyle he moves on to crank. Tests positive for both, but can't kick the habit. In fact, he is so jacked up he practices high and is so stoned he can't even pee into a cup w/o spilling it. Then he gets tips from his dealer on how to beat the test and drinks a ton of water, leading to a probable six game suspension. All b/c someone gave him weed. Smokers are jokers

:jnc. I'm not some huge pot defender but that's right out of an ABC after school special.

Talon

Bravo. This is a masterful Rush parody.

Milchjon

:jnc

Furyous

This isn't the first time the Browns have had the same QB in back to back years. Right today, Brandon Weeden
FUCKING SUCKS
but I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm more interested in the QB that loses the Texans backup QB battle.

MechDX

This isn't the first time the Browns have had the same QB in back to back years. Right today, Brandon Weeden
FUCKING SUCKS
but I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm more interested in the QB that loses the Texans backup QB battle.

Chances are all 3 are on active roster. I would trade Case or TJ for the right offer or player but I don't see it happening. After Case's pre season play there is no way in hell they try to clear waivers and put him on the PS

Top Bottom