• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
why are they talking about this? the eagles aren't playing.

and i cant be the only one that this chip kelley super awesome fast offense is really much ado about nothing. NFL has already said the refs won't speed up for them. The patriots already run a pretty fast offense, I can't imagine that the eagles will be that much faster than the pats, or as precise and accurate cause vick is no brady.

Godslay

Banned
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m
X-rays on Redskins QB Kirk Cousins' foot negative and revealed mid-foot sprain. More tests Tues, but injury not thought serious.

Good news.

Furyous

Landry Jones is having a good game. Pat White looks competent as well.

The Washington team can save a roster spot by cutting Rex Grossman because Kirk Cousins more than capable of starting if need be.

I'm impressed with Landry. Most QBs that won lots of games in college make terrible pros. However, he looks fine. Then again he wasn't first round pick and has time to develop.

effzee

why are they talking about this? the eagles aren't playing.

and i cant be the only one that this chip kelley super awesome fast offense is really much ado about nothing. NFL has already said the refs won't speed up for them. The patriots already run a pretty fast offense, I can't imagine that the eagles will be that much faster than the pats, or as precise and accurate cause vick is no brady.

They talk about it cause a. Its their week 1 game and b. With Chip as new coach he is an intriguing figure across the league.

And Chip is more than just fast offense. They have shown glimpses in pre-season of a very innovative offense. Besides what do you really talk about as broadcasters during the 2nd half of a pre-season game ?

Godslay

Banned
I'm impressed with Landry. Most QBs that won lots of games in college make terrible pros. However, he looks fine. Then again he wasn't first round pick and has time to develop.

I'd like to seem him take a beating like Ben does at times. I think he'd break. The only cure for that is to throw him into a room of big girls and have him defend himself.

Seriously, it's a common concern and one I've actually seen where he does get rattled. Then again hit any QB enough and they will.

Sharrif Floyd out for the season? Damn.

squicken

Is it the season or preseason? And don't you dare besmirch Landry's virtue. He's a married man! His wife is on the OU basketball team

edit: all that for 1 yard

Godslay

Banned
Is it the season or preseason? And don't you dare besmirch Landry's virtue. He's a married man! His wife is on the OU basketball team

edit: all that for 1 yard

I'm assuming you are talking to me. I don't give a care if his wife could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. He's flaky under pressure, maybe Ben can learn him up. It's the Steeler Way™

squicken

I'm assuming you are talking to me. I don't give a care if his wife could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. He's flaky under pressure, maybe Ben can learn him up. It's the Steeler Way™

On the preseason thing I meant Floyd. I think he's just out for the preseason

As far as Landy he is the future of the Steelers and, while not Tebow, he does have some Tebow powers. He said he thought of quitting football and going into the ministry. He also did no sex before marriage FCA promos. Very wholesome and a good change for the Steelers

As far as Landy he is the future of the Steelers and, while not Tebow, he does have some Tebow powers. He said he thought of quitting football and going into the ministry. He also did no sex before marriage FCA promos. Very wholesome and a good change for the Steelers

Ben fucked that all up the first night of OTAs, I guarantee it.

Godslay

Banned

Did not know. Powerful stuff. Bionic should be proud.

Bread

Banned
goodbye california. i will not miss the stench of Chan's whiskey breath polluting the air of socal, but i will miss your burritos.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd like to seem him take a beating like Ben does at times. I think he'd break. The only cure for that is to throw him into a room of big girls and have him defend himself.

Seriously, it's a common concern and one I've actually seen where he does get rattled. Then again hit any QB enough and they will.
Landry is downright comical when you get pressure on him. His most common response is to flat-out drop the ball.

I'm looking at a cream colored couch.

Can't say I'm in love with the color. It's fit my rig and the price is right but I'd normally go for brown or beige.

Any thoughts, seasoned domestic types?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sounds like Moffit wasn't showing enough in camp, so it's not a huge loss either way. No idea how good the DE is, but if he contributes at all I'll be satisfied with the trade.
Everything I read said the opposite, and he would have been a solid backup in a line needing depth.

Edit: Ah ok, after all the talk of Alvin Bailey at tackle I missed the part where he actually played guard in college.

squicken

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/57546564/

Good read for Chargers/Raiders/Titans fans

edit:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/20/nfl-preseason-takeaways-part-2/

2. I think conclusions about how good or bad a team looks in the preseason should be tempered, especially with a team like the Patriots. Unlike other teams, the Patriots have been using the same schemes on both sides of the ball for so long that there isn’t much that isn’t already on film. As a result Bill Belichick isn’t afraid to push the envelope in the passing game and dialing up pressures on defense. The only area where the Patriots usually hold back during the preseason is in pass coverage, where they play a little more loosely than they will, say, in December. Still, the Patriots have not been afraid to show a lot of robber looks (one extra defender is freed up to read the quarterback and jump routes) of the kind they used late last season with safety Steve Gregory. With all that said, New England has looked very good so far. The real test will come when teams gameplan to put the young receivers and the tight end (Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Zach Sudfeld) on the spot.

Interesting note by Bedard. They run their full offense while most teams hold back

3. I think Cam Newton is so bad at play-fakes that the Panthers shouldn’t even bother. Smart, veteran inside linebackers are going to easily read Newton and know what’s coming. In the Eagles-Panthers game last Thursday, Philadelphia inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans was dropping into coverage before Newton even finished the fake. It boggles the mind that someone—if Newton is listening—hasn’t told Newton, “You know what separates the best quarterbacks in the game? The little things, like play-fakes. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees—go down the list of elite quarterbacks—are the best play-fakers in the game. Do you sense a trend there?” Newton is tremendously talented, but you have to do everything well to rise in this league. With the Panthers reemphasizing the traditional running game, it becomes even more important for Newton to do his part from under center.

8.. I think I’ve never whiffed on a player like I did with Russell Wilson when he came out of Wisconsin. (Considering that he was drafted in the third round, guess I wasn’t alone). I remember watching him at the Senior Bowl practices and thinking he was OK, that he showed good leadership but was too short. He seemed to be a perfect backup. Oops. Wilson just keeps improving and, just as impressive, looks so darn comfortable. He just never panics, and that must be very reassuring to his teammates. Not to mention his arm strength and deep touch. I’d like to see what he can do with real weapons—namely Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin healthy and together.

10. I think it was mildly concerning that Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder was 5 of 12 for 53 yards and sacked twice against the Bills, but I wouldn’t panic yet. Buffalo, with first-year defensive coordinator Mike Pettine trying to establish himself, threw a lot at a Vikings offense that obviously hadn’t done much preparation. And everybody knows having No. 28, Adrian Peterson—who hasn’t played yet in the preseason—changes how a defense will play Minnesota. That being said, Ponder must be more accurate—some of the throws he missed weren’t overly difficult. With a good defense and some interesting weapons around him, it’s all going to be on Ponder.

Landry had a deep pass.

I was so disappointed in the offensive line. We have so many names on the line that I thought this was the year they would be great. And yet all of those guys played like trash.

This game was horrible all around, but the biggest disappointment I had was in Jason Worilds.

He's going to lose his starting spot. He's three years in, time for fucking around is over. He was only in for 3 plays in the game. He was driven to the ground on one and gave up a long completion on the other. He was yanked for Jones who promptly forced a fumble.

I was riding hard for this guy, but I don't think he has it. He definitely doesn't have the instincts Jarvis has, and he's still making silly mental mistakes.

UD60L.gif

:mad:

bionic77

This game was horrible all around, but the biggest disappointment I had was in Jason Worilds.

He's going to lose his starting spot. He's three years in, time for fucking around is over. He was only in for 3 plays in the game. He was driven to the ground on one and gave up a long completion on the other. He was yanked for Jones who promptly forced a fumble.

I was riding hard for this guy, but I don't think he has it. He definitely doesn't have the instincts Jarvis has, and he's still making silly mental mistakes.
I was not that disappointed in Worilds. I never expected much from him. He is backup quality and those guys don't last long in this league because eventually you can just draft or trade for a cheaper one.

For me it was the o-line. I was expecting big things from our big 3 and they all sucked in both run and pass pro. Not a great combo for a lineman!

I was not that disappointed in Worilds. I never expected much from him. He is backup quality and those guys don't last long in this league because eventually you can just draft or trade for a cheaper one.

For me it was the o-line. I was expecting big things from our big 3 and they all sucked in both run and pass pro. Not a great combo for a lineman!

Harrison was backup quality for years.

bionic77

Harrison was backup quality for years.
Eh I never really saw him before he made the team (if that is what you are talking about) but he is the exception to the rule. Not many guys are cut that many times and even make it into the league, let alone become a starter. Harrison is like our version of Kurt Warner.

And when he was on our team even when he was a backup dude made something happen almost everytime he was on the field*. And then as soon as he was a starter he made an even bigger impact.

Harrison is not a great one to compare to Worilds or really almost any defensive player.

* Took our genius coaches way too long to figure that out.

Bowser

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/57546564/

Good read for Chargers/Raiders/Titans fans

edit:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/20/nfl-preseason-takeaways-part-2/

Interesting note by Bedard. They run their full offense while most teams hold back

lol wtf? Newton probably doesn't give a fuck about the play fakes in preseason. For fuck's sake, does Bedard's dumbass know that Newton's only run FOUR play fakes in the entire preseason so far?

The play-action pass is another playbook favorite that’s barely emerged. Of Newton’s 45 snaps, four have involved play action. When Newton hit a stretch of five full games without an interception late last year, he went 31 of 44 in play-action passes with 562 yards and six touchdowns.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...lla-offense-this-preseason.html#storylink=cpy

Jesus fuck at this point I wish these clown national writers would just stop writing about the team.

Eh I never really saw him before he made the team (if that is what you are talking about) but he is the exception to the rule. Not many guys are cut that many times and even make it into the league, let alone become a starter. Harrison is like our version of Kurt Warner.

And when he was on our team even when he was a backup dude made something happen almost everytime he was on the field*. And then as soon as he was a starter he made an even bigger impact.

Harrison is not a great one to compare to Worilds or really almost any defensive player.

* Took our genius coaches way too long to figure that out.

Right. I think the point is that he took time to really break out. I was hoping the same for Worilds. He's shown flashes but nothing to say he can put it all together on gameday. I hope i'm wrong.

As for the O-line, shit game to be sure but it was good players making bad mistakes, which happens. I'm not too worried.

I do think the Steelers need to consider Beachum at RT though. Gilbert has bad footwork and slow hands and guys are feasting on him at the edge. Kerrigan was a perfect example.

squicken

lol wtf? Newton probably doesn't give a fuck about the play fakes in preseason. For fuck's sake, does Bedard's dumbass know that Newton's only run FOUR play fakes in the entire preseason so far?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...lla-offense-this-preseason.html#storylink=cpy

Jesus fuck at this point I wish these clown national writers would just stop writing about the team.

That is pretty weird. Maybe it is something he noticed or heard about Newton last year and was watching for? I was reading something the other day where the author was talking about how the vocabulary of writers is going to have to change. With all of the packaged plays and whatnot, what is traditionally a play action pass is really different than it once was

Like on traditional play action, the QB never intends to hand off. But with PHI's offense, the QB reads the DE, and maybe he hands off if the DE stays wide, or he keeps it and runs, or throws a screen

http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2013/08/are-tactical-innovations-in-nfl-making.html?m=1

Bowser

That is pretty weird. Maybe it is something he noticed or heard about Newton last year and was watching for? I was reading something the other day where the author was talking about how the vocabulary of writers is going to have to change. With all of the packaged plays and whatnot, what is traditionally a play action pass is really different than it once was

Like on traditional play action, the QB never intends to hand off. But with PHI's offense, the QB reads the DE, and maybe he hands off if the DE stays wide, or he keeps it and runs, or throws a screen

http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2013/08/are-tactical-innovations-in-nfl-making.html?m=1

I tweeted him with this article/stats and how Newton's only run 4 play fakes this preseason. His response? "Who cares how many times it happened? He still stinks at it"

Apparently this asshat hasn't heard of small sample size.

MechDX

@68INCOGNITO
Be sure to tune into Fox Football Daily @FFD on Fox Sports 1 at 6pm Eastern tonight. I personally guarantee it will be entertaining.

Incognito is a god damn attention whore. Sorry cheap shot piece of shit

Antonio should have clocked your ass.

Talon

Philly's not even the first team to do this in the NFL, though. Shannahan ran that bootleg offense with Plummer for years.

Functionally, it's the grandson of running an old option play.

Atlanta ran that stretch play in the Vick era based on the same defensive action, although Vick was sort of terrible at making that quick decision.

Vick either kept the ball or handed it off to Dunn based on the action of the weak side end. Dr. Z though Atlanta should stick solely to that type of offense with a single receiving option playing the dummy, so I guess he foresaw the Skins of 2012.

I think it was Baldinger that tried to make "boot action" stick to no avail.

Top Bottom