• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

RBH

So I had pre-ordered a PS4 off Amazon (day one bitches!) when all the hoopla about XBONE backlash happened (that same night). Now I'm seeing that XBONE has 180'ed on a bunch of those restrictions? Does it still have that stupid Kinect Always On functionality? Still a non-starter for me, but if they'd take that out, I'd go with XBONE in a heartbeat...

I think Crackdown 3 alone (we know it's getting announced at some point) would be enough for me to go with the Xbox One over PS4.

But I haven't really played games alot over the past few years, and med school reduces that time to zero.

As I did with Sundays game I'll ask again here:

Over/Under you'll watch 10 minutes of actual gameplay?

ill watch the whole thing. Starters are playing about a full qtr, some more.
hard not to watch the whole game when its your team playing i guess, alot to see.

RBH

iALS8YcGiJxiw.png

iVN4EBo5Cpobs.png

Football!

Bowser

If the games on the Xbox One appeal to you more (which I imagine they do if you'd go with the Xbox "in a heartbeat") and you don't mind paying the higher point of entry, then the decision seems fairly easy.

...I haven't researched the games lol. I guess I said XBONE in a heartbeat cause I loved by 360 and never bought/played any PS3 games. I've got a PS4 and Killzone preorder tho (Killzone looks pretty cool).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
ill watch the whole thing. Starters are playing about a full qtr, some more.
hard not to watch the whole game when its your team playing i guess, alot to see.

I lose some passion without seeing Trent Truck.

Either way I'm playing baseball right as the game starts. By the time I get home it'll be the fourth quarter...

But I'm also pretty sure I won't be able to see it on TV as I'm sure its low on the pecking list.

...I haven't researched the games lol. I guess I said XBONE in a heartbeat cause I loved by 360 and never bought/played any PS3 games. I've got a PS4 and Killzone preorder tho (Killzone looks pretty cool).
Any thoughts given to getting a PS3? I mean you said you don't game much so maybe that $400 isn't best spent on the PS4, but maybe you can spend a little less and pick up a PS3. The strength of the Playstation brand, IMO is the quality of their first and second party content (and PS+!). The PS3 has a ridiculously good library in that regard. You can spend far less up front for a used triple and get access to a rather amazing library right off the bat. Sure, it's not as shiny and pretty as the next gen consoles but you'll have the benefit of time to let those new consoles build a more substantial library. Also, you'll get a taste of what Sony consoles are all about letting you make a bit more of an informed decision. Just a thought.

I get the allure of buying on the new consoles though and don't blame you if you go that route.:) I go back and forth on getting them both at launch but I don't think I'm going to bother. I'll save the Xbox One purchase for next year.

MechDX

Any thoughts given to getting a PS3? I mean you said you don't game much so maybe that $400 isn't best spent on the PS4, but maybe you can spend a little less and pick up a PS3. The strength of the Playstation brand, IMO is the quality of their first and second party content. The PS3 has a ridiculously good library in that regard. You can spend a bit less up front for used triple and get access to a rather amazing library right off the bat. Sure, it's not as shiny and pretty as the next gen consoles but you'll have the benefit of time to let those new consoles build a more substantial library and you'll get a taste of what Sony consoles are all about letting you make a bit more of an informed decision.

Im waiting for the first time for a console launch. There is a lot of good shit coming to the 360/PS3 including most of the next gen launch games so I see no need. Ill wait until any bugs/issues are revealed and make my decision next spring.

Any thoughts given to getting a PS3? I mean you said you don't game much so maybe that $400 isn't best spent on the PS4, but maybe you can spend a little less and pick up a PS3. The strength of the Playstation brand, IMO is the quality of their first and second party content (and PS+!). The PS3 has a ridiculously good library in that regard. You can spend far less up front for a used triple and get access to a rather amazing library right off the bat. Sure, it's not as shiny and pretty as the next gen consoles but you'll have the benefit of time to let those new consoles build a more substantial library. Also, you'll get a taste of what Sony consoles are all about letting you make a bit more of an informed decision. Just a thought.

I get the allure of buying on the new consoles though and don't blame you if you go that route.:) I go back and forth on getting them both at launch but I don't think I'm going to bother. I'll save the Xbox One purchase for next year.
You know, I don't want to turn this into a console war or anything but the strength of Sony's first and second party developers really is a huge differentiator for me. It may be because I'm generally more of a fan of Japanese games but the other day I was ranking exclusives on the 360 and PS3 for me personally and the first 360 game didn't make the list until around 10 or so (Halo 4). There is just no contest as far as I'm concerned. Maybe things will be different this generation but I wouldn't bet on it. Then again, I can see how someone would feel differently than me if they really love Forza, Gears, and/or Halo.

MechDX

WilliamsonNFL Matt Williamson
RT @SI_DougFarrar: Started watching Stafford for the next "Fixing the QBs" piece, and ... great googly-moogly. There's things to be done.
19 minutes ago

Someone light up the :kas signal!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The monthly pick up post in the gaming side is starting to freak me out. All anyone ever buys is anime, sculptures of anime, PC parts and Japanese import videogames. The thought of how some these guys apartments must be decorated makes me wonder...
my god, its like you're posting on a video game forum or something.

You know, I don't want to turn this into a console war or anything but the strength of Sony's first and second party developers really is a huge differentiator for me. It may be because I'm generally more of a fan of Japanese games but the other day I was ranking exclusives on the 360 and PS3 for me personally and the first 360 game didn't make the list until around 10 or so (Halo 4). There is just no contest as far as I'm concerned. Maybe things will be different this generation but I wouldn't bet on it. Then again, I can see how someone would feel differently than me if they really love Forza, Gears, and/or Halo.
Sony's first and second party games are top notch. Don't care about forza gears or halo.

Also, Manning has his kicker in position twice, kicker chokes horribly, gives his team 3 or 4 late 4th quarter leads, defense proceeds to let other team march down field. Yup, total choker!

bionic77

my god, its like you're posting on a video game forum or something.

Sony's first and second party games are top notch. Don't care about forza gears or halo.

Also, Manning has his kicker in position twice, kicker chokes horribly, gives his team 3 or 4 late 4th quarter leads, defense proceeds to let other team march down field. Yup, total choker!
Manning played like ass against the Steelers. It was only close because of Bettis and the refs.

I won't say he is a choker but he choked in that game and in others early in his career.

RBH

Tiki Barber did some reminiscing on The Morning Show on Thursday, flashing back to November 2006. Barber was in his final season, and the New York Giants had just lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars, 26-10, on Monday Night Football.

It wasn’t just the loss that angered Barber; it was the way the game was lost. Barber had just 10 carries for 27 yards. Eli Manning, meanwhile, was 19-of-41 for 230 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

“Eli had a bad day,” Barber said.

When media asked Barber about the game, he didn’t hold back. His message was simple: This isn’t rocket science. We’re a good running team. We’ve got to hand the ball off. Even in situations when we’re behind, we’ve got to keep handing the ball off.

“I just kind of told the truth,” Barber said.

Needless to say, the media had a field day with it, saying that Barber criticized the offense and the team in general.

The next day, Barber was in a meeting room watching tape when all of a sudden, head coach Tom Coughlin bursts through the door, throws a stack of newspapers in Barber’s face and yells, in not-so-G-rated terms, “What is this about?”

There were expletives. Many of them. Things escalated quickly. “Did you drop an F-bomb,” Barber was asked.

“A? A?” Barber said in disbelief. “Try like a thousand.”

Barber said he’s prone to using foul language when he’s irate.

“(But) it’s in an intellectual fashion,” he said, laughing, “so it’s a complicated argument you’re listening to.”

“Long story short,” he continued, “we ended up yelling at each other for 40 minutes. Running backs left, the (offensive) linemen were next door, defensive linemen were on the other side. And at the end, I said, ‘You know what? I’m out of here.’”

So Barber leaves, but before he can exit the stadium, Coughlin catches him and asks if they’re okay, if they’re good.

“Coach, as long as you want to win – because this is my last year; I’m not coming back – we’re good,” Barber said. “I want to win. That’s all I care about.”

The Giants lost their next two games, both by a field goal. Including the loss to Jacksonville, the Giants lost five of their final seven games that season. They still made the playoffs but wound up losing a Wild Card game to Philadelphia, 23-20.

Barber retired, and the Giants won the Super Bowl the very next year.
http://tbd.radio.cbssports.com/2013/08/08/tiki-barber-i-didnt-mesh-with-tom-coughlin/

There were expletives. Many of them. Things escalated quickly. “Did you drop an F-bomb,” Barber was asked.

“A? A?” Barber said in disbelief. “Try like a thousand.”

Barber said he’s prone to using foul language when he’s irate.
Wellington!

Watch your mouth, young man!

squicken

Because this is something we would know before the season actually starts? For the record I think the Pats will be fine, but it's too early to just assume that they won't feel all these offseason losses.

Preseason matters. There are things to look for. Some of it is crap. Coaches wouldn't name starters and set their rosters if it was all meaningless

Colasante

Because this is something we would know before the season actually starts? For the record I think the Pats will be fine, but it's too early to just assume that they won't feel all these offseason losses.

No doubt, I certainly don't think they're going to start the season clicking on offense like in years past, but Brady's chemistry with the rookie receivers isn't impressive compared to how he was with Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez, it's impressive when compared to how he was with previous rookie flameouts like Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, and Ochocinco, who was a veteran but had the mental acuity of a rookie.

effzee

Because this is something we would know before the season actually starts? For the record I think the Pats will still be fairly decent, but it's too early to just assume that they won't feel all these offseason losses.

No big deal at this point this is the only thing they can go off of right now. If the Pats looked the most crisp during his tour then they probably did.

Obviously actual preseason games might tell a different story.

Preseason matters. There are things to look for. Some of it is crap. Coaches wouldn't name starters and set their rosters if it was all meaningless
The Pats haven't even played a preseason game yet. I agree that the preseason will tell us some but the real test will be the regular season.

No doubt, I certainly don't think they're going to start the season clicking on offense like in years past, but Brady's chemistry with the rookie receivers isn't impressive compared to how he was with Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez, it's impressive when compared to how he was with previous rookie flameouts like Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, and Ochocinco, who was a veteran but had the mental acuity of a rookie.
Very good points. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Tom Penny

Because this is something we would know before the season actually starts? For the record I think the Pats will still be fairly decent, but it's too early to just assume that they won't feel all these offseason losses.

Some things don't change. If Brady is upright chalk up the division and 10 wins.He also got sacked a trillion times in the preseason last year. Not in the regular season. I say this every year. Other than guys trying to make the team....the only that matters is coming out uninjured. Not how veteran players play.

Chip Kelly names starter for preason games:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 1m

RT @AlbertBreer: Chip Kelly says Mike Vick starts this week, Nick Foles starts next week. They'll alternate with the first team in 1Q

Dragon

Banned
Actually I don't really know haha. I pretty much stopped gaming after I graduated college and moved to NYC...actually, the only console I own here is the 3DSXL.

I'll probably just keep the PS4 preorder for now, but as someone who doesn't game all that much anymore, maybe it's not the best use of $400...

Yeah portable gaming in the city is the way to go. Playing my Vita/3DSXL on planes with all the traveling I'm doing is a life saver.

BTW, have you seen Titanfall?

Also they're going up against the Patriots defense,

Patriots defense isn't the worst in the league anymore!!

Your QB is one sack away from retiring and doing Life Alert commercials.

WiiU has no games.

Top Bottom