• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

squicken

Steelers

. But my real road crush for the year is Alan Baxter, a tiny, hiccup-quick, tenacious, undrafted rookie pass rusher from Northern Illinois. Baxter recorded 9.5 sacks as a defensive end for the Huskies, but at a charitable 6-foot-0 and 238 pounds, with no experience at linebacker, he is a hard player to project to the NFL.

The Steelers have turned fast, undersized defensive ends into Steelers-style linebackers for about a generation.
"I noticed some of the other guys made that transformation," said Baxter, who chose the Steelers over other interested employers because of their defensive reputation. "I'm learning from the best. Every day I'm getting better and better."

Baxter stood out consistently during my two days in Latrobe.
He beat blockers to the edge, slipped past veteran linemen during 1-on-1 drills, and leapt to tip a Landry Jones pass at the end of Thursday's practice. First-round pick Jarvis Jones is much bigger, but Baxter may be quicker, and with both players getting most of their reps with the second string, Baxter is making more plays.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/55944434

JABEE

Eagles vermin, how has Barkley looked in camp?

Supposedly he's been doing well. He's still learning the offense. He's not really getting a chance to go with the 1s like Foles and Vick. I think he's going to be a 3rd string QB going into the season. Jason Avant said that he was impressed with his arm strength. He said that he was surprised by it and didn't understand the criticism.

I guess he's going to get a chance to impress in the preseason games, but it probably won't be until the second half. I have no idea how Chip Kelly is going to approach preseason games.

AsfU4lG.jpg

ALIENS FROM OUTERSPAAAAAAAAAAAACE

bionic77

I just opened a box of 1987 Topps baseball cards. Will I die if I eat a 25 year old piece of gum?
Probably won't die right away, but when you do whether it is in a week or 50 years, I would wager that gum will still be wedged in between your colon and intestines.

I have been so spoiled with impact defensive players over the last 10 years that I am desperate for another one. Would be cool if we got a 15+ sack player who was also a midget!

squicken

Should I care more that DHB is hurt and will miss time? I guess I should but I feel good with Wayne, Allen, Fleener, and Hilton.

Probably won't die right away, but when you do whether it is in a week or 50 years, I would wager that gum will still be wedged in between your colon and intestines.

I have been so spoiled with impact defensive players over the last 10 years that I am desperate for another one. Would be cool if we got a 15+ sack player who was also a midget!

Harrison was an unheralded little guy with speed who bulked up with improved nutrition. I was never a fan of Jones but you always kind of give them the benefit of the doubt with LBs

squicken

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
On NFL Insiders, Chris Mortensen on #Patriots TE Jake Ballard: "He's struggled so much there's now a question whether he'll make the roster"

Haven't heard any of the beat writers mention this dude.

He says in the article that the beat guys are fawning over a new NT.

The Steelers reporters have not warmed to Baxter as totally as I did during my visit; they are fawning over Hebron Fangupo, a 324 million-pound defensive tackle whose calves look like they were built from rebar and quick-drying cement.

bionic77

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
On NFL Insiders, Chris Mortensen on #Patriots TE Jake Ballard: "He's struggled so much there's now a question whether he'll make the roster"

We really need help on the D-line. I imagine it takes a full year to learn our system for those guys though.

Should I care more that DHB is hurt and will miss time? I guess I should but I feel good with Wayne, Allen, Fleener, and Hilton.

Harrison was an unheralded little guy with speed who bulked up with improved nutrition. I was never a fan of Jones but you always kind of give them the benefit of the doubt with LBs
Harrison was short but he was a physical beast. This guy sounds like a shrimp. Not sure even Harrison's diet or roids and HGH shakes can fill this guy out and let him keep his speed.

But I will stay optimistic.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

That they are. Dude looks the part. Problem is he's nothing special on the field so far.

jbug617

Banned
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
On NFL Insiders, Chris Mortensen on #Patriots TE Jake Ballard: "He's struggled so much there's now a question whether he'll make the roster".

Yeah there is TE in Pats camp named Zach Sudfeld making noise. He is the size of Gronk but is faster.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Poor Jake. Curious if its the injury slowing him down or an understanding of the offense?

Colasante

Poor Jake. Curious if its the injury slowing him down or an understanding of the offense?

As far as I'm aware, it's just been the residual knee pain slowing him down, and causing him to miss a practice last week. At this point, I think his roster likelihood is tied to Gronk's fate. If Gronk is put on PUP, I think Ballard will make the roster. If Gronk stays off of PUP and takes up a roster spot, Ballard will likely be the 5th tight end, making him expendable.

squicken

I just want to see the line.

I get my hopes up every year.

They just need to secure the interior. I don't expect the tackles to be even average, but they've got to stop letting pressure come up the middle from base personnel. Hopefully Pep is serious about running it more. Some teams run it to protect the QB, but with IND, they need to do it to protect the OL

Tomlin is running his most physical camp ever. Team talks about training camp his first season and how he ran them into the ground, apparently this camp is much more brutal. Beat guys are saying Cowher never ran camp this hard.

Bowser

Remember how I was worried about the offensive line in my Panthers preview?

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 21m
Star gets a good push on Folkerts into Cam. Folkerts one of several young guys getting obligatory first team reps today

Folkerts?

Q7GiX.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Since kas is here, and its a new thread...new Lions roster updates!
Free Agent Rookie

QB: Stafford
WR: Megatron, Burleson, Broyles, Young Sr., Edwards
RB: Bush, Leshoure, Bell
TE: Pettigrew, Scheffler
RT: Cherilus, Hilliard, Fox
RG: Peterman, Warford, Austin
C: Raola, Gandy
LG: Sims
LT: Backus, Reiff

CUT.

Nice write up Wedge. Keys on offense for us is for Stafford to stay healthy. Thats it. We can afford Megatron going out, we can afford Bush going out, and while those injuries would hurt us, losing Stafford would end our season even with Shaun Hill as our backup.

On defense Ziggy Ansah needs to produce. What bothered me about the pick is Dion Jordan and Dee Milliner were there for the taking but we decided to go with the "character guy" who may need a few years to develop. If Ansah can produce right away its going to be hell for opposing QBs. Its already hell with Suh, Fairley coming up the middle and Jones and Idonje off the ends, but Ansah producing right away would be the best thing that could happen for our defense.

And you left out Devin Taylor our 4th round DE pick for this year. Don't sleep on this dude. He played behind Jadeveon Clowney and Melvin Ingram (Chargers first round pick) at South Carolina and didn't see as much playing time but he's got all the physical tools to beast especially with the attention focused on Suh and Fairley.

It doesn't matter what level of football we're talking about if the defensive line makes the QBs life hell and takes him off his game, the secondary can be mediocre. We've added much need depth to our secondary with signing Glover Quinn and drafting Darius Slay in the second round. Impressions from camp on Slay have been great and having to play against Megatron gives him a lot of much needed practice. I still think he needs to add about 10 pounds but he's following the trend of 6'0+ corners becoming more popular in the league.

All in all its playoffs or bust if Stafford is healthy. Our offense can outscore any team in the league, and if our defense can produce turnovers like we did in 2011, watch the fuck out because the Roar will be Restored in D-Town.

Tenumi

Banned
So, don't expect me to post that often, but I should introduce myself. I mainly follow the Lions, but I casually follow the Chargers as well. I'd say I'm expecting anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 for the Lions. 6-10 if Coaching and injuries fall apart, 11-5 if everything falls together perfectly.

exarkun

I need squicken or mech to do the introspective for the Texans, as per the OP.

I'll just this tidbit for you guys when you do your final commentary:

Watch for our QB to prove everyone wrong. Because Hopkins, our WR, will be the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So, don't expect me to post that often, but I should introduce myself. I mainly follow the Lions, but I casually follow the Chargers as well. I'd say I'm expecting anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5 for the Lions. 6-10 if Coaching and injuries fall apart, 11-5 if everything falls together perfectly.

Welcome brother. Speaking of the Chargers, I think they're good for a Wildcard spot in the weak AFC. I've always liked Rivers as a QB, but something has been up with him the past few seasons. I think this is the year he finally comes back to form where he was one of the elite QBs pre-2011.

I'm sorry but I just can't help but laugh.

You laugh now, but you won't be laughing when we see you in the playoffs and we finally get our revenge for handshake gate. We actually have a running game now which is what kept us from beating you guys the last two times we played.

Plus the 49ers essentially ended Jahvid Best' career so the football Gods will have to give us some positive karma back.

Colasante

Welcome brother. Speaking of the Chargers, I think they're good for a Wildcard spot in the weak AFC. I've always liked Rivers as a QB, but something has been up with him the past few seasons. I think this is the year he finally comes back to form where he was one of the elite QBs pre-2011.

I think that's pretty unlikely given the Chargers' still terrible offensive line and mediocre to bad defense. Ryan Mathews is also close to worthless and Philip Rivers may have just turned the corner into being a bad quarterback at this point.

Tenumi

Banned

*Sister

But yeah, I like Rivers, and Chargers could get a wildcard spot, but I'm not convinced he's coming back to form. Definitely more than serviceable, but declining.

squicken

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...on-niners-seahawks-and-broncos-low-on-vikings

A look at how the SB Futures have moved since February. Pats really haven't slid too far. Wise guys love Seahawks but are down on MIN, ATL and IND

Minnesota is the last of the major downgrades (from 38/1 to 65/1). The Golden Nugget’s Aaron Kessler told me: “Bettors are looking past last year’s 10-6 record and realizing that this is a similar team that went 3-13 in 2011, except without any offensive playmakers at all.”

Atlanta is a team the public is high on while the wise guys are fading. In 2012, the Falcons outgained opponents by only 60 yards over the course of the entire season. Starting in Week 8 this season, Atlanta plays six of nine games on the road. “Everyone knows this team is a fraud, 8-8 and mediocre in 2013!” says Steve Fezzik, the only two-time LVH SuperContest winner. The Colts are held in similarly low regard. Last season’s 11-5 record is impressive on the surface, but Indy was actually outscored by opponents.

MechDX

I need squicken or mech to do the introspective for the Texans, as per the OP.

I'll just this tidbit for you guys when you do your final commentary:

Watch for our QB to prove everyone wrong. Because Hopkins, our WR, will be the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald!

I'll give it a shot this evening. dont know about that comparison but his potential will be mentioned.

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 21m
New #Panthers OL Chris Scott carted off. Looked like he might have been holding his elbow.

lol we signed this dude like Thursday afternoon. If that's not a sign from the football gods to get a vet guard, I don't know what is.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
*Sister

But yeah, I like Rivers, and Chargers could get a wildcard spot, but I'm not convinced he's coming back to form. Definitely more than serviceable, but declining.

Welcome sister, Lions-GAF stays strong year around.

Colasante, Tenumi that reminds me did the Chargers add any playmakers to help Rivers out since Jackson went out? The main reason I said they have a nice shot at the wildcard spot is because of how weak the AFC is as a whole. Its going to be a bloodbath in the NFC for wildcard spots, but an 8-8 team or two can and most likely will get in as a wildcard in the AFC.

squicken: Vikings 2012 season was an unbelievable fluke season mainly due to AP All Day. As long as Christian Ponder is the QB of that team the Vikings are a middle of the roac, mediocre team. I know that pisses off Vikings-GAF coming from a Lions fan but they know its true.

2014 Draft will have the Vikings looking for a starting QB.

brentech

Nice write up Wedge. Keys on offense for us is for Stafford to stay healthy. Thats it. We can afford Megatron going out, we can afford Bush going out, and while those injuries would hurt us, losing Stafford would end our season even with Shaun Hill as our backup.
What exactly changed?
Last year you blamed your losses on the lack of a receiver core. Now you can suddenly lose Megatron and Bush?

We actually have a running game now which is what kept us from beating you guys the last two times we played.
But then you need Bush for your running game. WTF is it!! Plus, you don't know what Bush you're getting yet. Let's see some games before that statement qualifies for anything.

If the Lions become good, well, fine, but your method and logic of how you put your team together on paper is such a jumblefuck, it can't even be explained with any rational flow of thought!

brentech

I want the Lions to make the NFC Championship. The meltdown would be hilarious.

On realistic paper, it's plausible. Execution on the other hand, to date, they have not done anything for themselves.

If anything, Stafford is their weakest link if you just look at his TO ratio. If he doesn't trim that fat (yep), they never make it through a round of the playoffs.

squicken

So it looks like Daniel Fells is the starting TE for New England if Gronk goes on PUP. They need to sign Lorent Robinson and then they can really be the 2010 Rams

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What exactly changed?
Last year you blamed your losses on the lack of a receiver core. Now you can suddenly lose Megatron and Bush?

Losing both would hurt us tremendously. The problem we had last year is we had literally every single reciever go out, including our TE's except for Megatron. So while Megatron was getting double and triple teamed, Stafford had no running game and was throwing passes to his drinking buddy from college.

But then you need Bush for your running game. WTF is it!! Plus, you don't know what Bush you're getting yet. Let me play some games for you before that statement qualifies for anything.

Our offense is mainly a pistol/shotgun formation offense that passes 60-65% of the time. With Bush we're getting a speed back who works great on draws, screens and just having the defense respect the run so the opposing safeties aren't only worried about the pass.

We had that running back with Jahvid Best and when he went down it really screwed our offensive flow up. Sure Stafford was still dropping bombs on opposing defenses, but Bush is that added running dimension we've desperately needed.

Mikel Leshoure and Joquie Bell will add a nice change of pace, but they're not a #1 RB like Bush is. I'm not expecting Bush to go out and rush for 1,800 yards because 1.) He can't do that and 2.) our offense doesn't need him to do that.

We need opposing defenses to be kept on check with screens, draws, passing plays out of the backfield so opposing defenses aren't just worried about are passing game.

That's why we brought him in, and thats what Reggie Bush is perfectly suited for in the NFL. He's not an everydown back, and we don't need him to be.

Steelers

The Steelers have turned fast, undersized defensive ends into Steelers-style linebackers for about a generation.
"I noticed some of the other guys made that transformation," said Baxter, who chose the Steelers over other interested employers because of their defensive reputation. "I'm learning from the best. Every day I'm getting better and better."
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/55944434

Steelers' special mix of HGH sure is potent.

Doomsayer

What to watch for: San Francisco 49ers

Offense

Colin Kaepernick’s progression: Colin came in midway through the season played lights out for the remainder of the regular season and the entirety of the playoffs. This was without a full offseason as the de-facto starter. Reports are that he is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year, but this is to be expected now that he has experience under his belt. One knock against Kaep was that he didn’t have a lot of touch on his passes, but he has worked long and hard on touch passes this offseason and is feathering in some nice throws. Will he continue to be an explosive playmaker as he was last year or will he have a “sophomore slump” and fizzle out?

The Number Two Receiver: This doesn’t even take into account the 3rd/4th receiver positions. With the loss of Michael Crabtree the 49ers will rely on Anquan Boldin to be the number one receiver. This leaves a huge void at the number two. We have a plethora of bodies (A.J. Jenkins, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quiton Patton, Ricardo Lockette, Marlon Moore, Chad Hall, and Austin Collie), but who of these will step up? Manningham is coming off of an ACL/PCL tear and is on the PUP list. Williams has recently been activated and reports are stating he looks great. Jenkins will NEED to step his game up and prove he was worth a first round pick. Marlon Moore has been making the most noise during camp, catching everything from short passes to long bombs, he is almost a lock to make the roster at this point. Manningham has the best shot of being the number two receiver, but he may not start the season week one. We will need either Jenkins or Kyle Williams to step up and take the defenses focus away from Boldin.

Defense:

Defensive Line Depth/Health: While defensive line is a strength for this team, they were badly worn down by the time playoffs started. Our pass rush was so abysmal in the playoffs teams averaged nearly 19 PPG more against the 49ers. While this is because of better competition, that is a huge discrepancy in scoring and in sacks recorded. This mainly hinges on two things; Justin Smiths health and rotating in the new defensive line players we signed. Glenn Dorsey is a big signing for us, he will be playing nose tackle because we lost both Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francious. Lawrence Okoye is someone who has never played football in his life, but will be playing defensive end with the 49ers, likewise the 49ers drafted Tank Carradine to be the successor to Justin Smith though he may also start the season on the PUP. We have about five more bodies on the defensive line this year than we did last year, so hopefully they are not grinded into submission midway through the year as we were last year. We will also be getting Paras Haralson back, who spent last year on IR. The emergence of Ian Williams, who the 49ers gave a two year fully guaranteed contract to, will also be someone to keep an eye on.

Secondary Shake ups: With the departure of Dashon Goldson (Tampa Bay) and our 3rd corner Chris Culliver tearing his ACL, there will be a lot of movement in the secondary from last year to this year. Carlos Rogers and Tarrel Brown will be starting at LCB and RCB, but they 49ers employ the nickel normally Culliver would go to LCB and Rogers would shift inside. Without Culliver, the 49ers will have to rely on Nnamdi Asomugha (FA acquisition) to fill the void. However, Nnamdi and Brown have almost extensively played LCB for their entire careers. The 49ers may need serious contributions from other cornerbacks including: Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock, and Marcus Cooper. Marcus Cooper is a bit of a sleeper to make the roster, he possesses size (6’2 192) and speed (4.4 40 yard dash), but he is extremely raw. If the 49ers can develop his technique he can be a very, very good cornerback in the NFL. The 49ers traded up in the first round to select Eric Reid, a FS out of LSU, to take the place of Goldson. So far he is having an impressive training camp and looks to have the starting FS spot locked up. His competition Craig Dahl and CJ Spillman have been unspectacular for their entire careers so this should be the starter day one of the regular season. At Strong Safety, Donte Whitner has to improve upon a less than stellar 2012-2013 season, allowing a total of 13 touchdown passes last year. Eric Reid has been learning both Strong Safety and Free Safety, so if Whitner does not improve there is a chance he can be replaced with Reid and we use a rotation of Dahl/Spillman at Free Safety. If the pass rush improves to the levels it did two years ago, the secondary will be under less scrutiny.

Special Teams

Leaky Coverage: After having the best kick off/punt return coverage in the NFL in 2011 our 2012 coverage teams were a glaring weakness. It’s because we lost the hype man of the group, Blake Constanzo, he lead our specials teams in stops and stuffs and was essentially the captain. We gave up numerous long kick returns and had more penalties than I can remember for holding. The 49ers added a few depth players who should be able to bolster the ST to its once previous form. However the 49ers need someone to step up as a captain; many are looking at either Tavares Gooden or Trenton Robinson.

Field Goals: After a “legendary” season in 2011, David Akers fell off a cliff in 2012 stating he played with injuries all year. He missed almost all types of kicks 30+ yards, 40+ yards, and 50+. Akers missed two potential game winning field goals against the Rams last season, in separate games. We released him and signed veteran Phil Dawson from the Browns. The 49ers are hoping that the consistent Dawson can replicate the magic that was happening in 2011, but hopefully they won’t have to rely on him as they relied so heavily on Akers that year to bail out the offense.

Quick Hits

Health of rookie class: We have I believe three rookies that will start the season either injured or on the PUP list; Marcus Lattimore, Quinton Dial, and Tank Carredine. This doesn’t even take into account Lawrence Okoye who has never played a down of football in his life. Lattimore is more of a luxury at the moment because the 49ers employ one of the best backfields in the NFL with Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, and LaMichael James. The 49ers will need Dial and Carredine to provide rest time for the starters on the defensive line. Depth will be key in keeping the pass rush consistent and making sure we do not fizzle out as we did last year.

Vernon Davis’s expanded role: With the number two Tight End from last year now with the Titans (Delanie Walker) the 49ers drafted Vance McDonald who according to reports is playing very well and establishing a rapport with Kaep. Vernon Davis will have an expanded role in the offense, after two subpar years, Jim Harbaugh is now giving Davis the opportunity to split out wide and become the matchup nightmare he was in 2009 where he caught 13 touchdown passes. Look for a big year from Vernon Davis.

Colasante

Colasante, Tenumi that reminds me did the Chargers add any playmakers to help Rivers out since Jackson went out? The main reason I said they have a nice shot at the wildcard spot is because of how weak the AFC is as a whole. Its going to be a bloodbath in the NFC for wildcard spots, but an 8-8 team or two can and most likely will get in as a wildcard in the AFC.

They drafted WR Keenan Allen in the draft. He's a good receiver and only dropped to the 3rd because of injury concerns. They're also getting WR Vincent Brown back after he broke his leg last year. He was really good in 2011.

They also drafted RT DJ Fluker to help their offensive line, but reports from training camp haven't been glowing about him. Unless their offensive line drastically improves or Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead find a way to become an effective running back tandem, I don't see the Chargers getting to the 8-8 they'd need to be in wild card contention.

Then again, the team should have beaten the Broncos and Ravens last year barring catastrophic meltdowns (blowing a 24 point lead against the Broncos and letting the Ravens convert 4th and 29) so maybe they do have a solid core that could be developed into something with a worthwhile coach.

bionic77

Whoever wins the NFC Championship is going to fucking clean up whatever shit team comes out of the AFC this year. On paper the division looks much weaker this year. Broncos are probably the best.
Shit teams are always favored in the Superbowl these days.

AFC a lock to win again!

Top Bottom