• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Preseason/Training Camp thread - Doritos Locos

Welcome sister, Lions-GAF stays strong year around.

Colasante, Tenumi that reminds me did the Chargers add any playmakers to help Rivers out since Jackson went out? The main reason I said they have a nice shot at the wildcard spot is because of how weak the AFC is as a whole. Its going to be a bloodbath in the NFC for wildcard spots, but an 8-8 team or two can and most likely will get in as a wildcard in the AFC.

squicken: Vikings 2012 season was an unbelievable fluke season mainly due to AP All Day. As long as Christian Ponder is the QB of that team the Vikings are a middle of the roac, mediocre team. I know that pisses off Vikings-GAF coming from a Lions fan but they know its true.

2014 Draft will have the Vikings looking for a starting QB.

Bet ya the Vikings at least split the series with Lions. I'm sure you are confident enough to take me up on that.

Remember how I was worried about the offensive line in my Panthers preview?

Folkerts?

Q7GiX.gif

I've literally never heard of this dude.

Are they pulling people out of the stands to play guard down in Spartanburg?

EDIT- This tweet just appeared in my feed:

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 2m
I think Folkerts just forgot to snap the ball?

smdh

Levyne

Banned
I'm ready for 7-9

<- Formerly Khold.

At least I can look forward to being the Eagles again this year.

(In a late season game that'll mean nothing)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
images

We noted recently the Detroit Lions' relief in the apparent healthy return of receivers Nate Burleson and Ryan Broyles. That post, however, failed to emphasize the emergence of a relatively unknown receiver who has continued his push to be part of their regular rotation.

My vast array of worldwide sources have passed along confirmation that first-year receiver Patrick Edwards, whom Burleson said this spring was poised for a breakout, has performed well over the first 10 or so days of camp. Edwards spent last season on the practice squad, and this summer has demonstrated the explosiveness and playmaking ability to suggest the Lions have better depth at the position some of us once feared.

I'll get a first-hand look this week when I arrive at Lions camp, but Josh Katzenstein of the Detroit News suggests that Edwards has outperformed veteran Mike Thomas and "might be a perfect fit" as the Lions' No. 4 receiver. It's always important to remember that training camp success must be followed by production in preseason to have the desired carryover, but first things first. Edwards has, by all accounts, put himself in position to be in position for a regular role in the Lions' offense this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth

Huge news if Patrick Edwards can turn out to be a legit #2-4 receiver if an injury were to happen to a receiver or two.

For Fantasy Football people in here pick a Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Patrick Edwards as your #3 receiver. They'll be good for a touchdown or two every few games the way Stafford distributes the ball to anyone who is open.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...on-niners-seahawks-and-broncos-low-on-vikings

A look at how the SB Futures have moved since February. Pats really haven't slid too far. Wise guys love Seahawks but are down on MIN, ATL and IND

I get the pessimism, the Vikings definitely need to prove themselves and I honestly feel as though the team is about a year or two away from being truly competitive. I'm just being realistic.

With that said,

Minnesota is the last of the major downgrades (from 38/1 to 65/1). The Golden Nugget’s Aaron Kessler told me: “Bettors are looking past last year’s 10-6 record and realizing that this is a similar team that went 3-13 in 2011, except without any offensive playmakers at all

Wut? Let just pretend AP doesnt count. Rudolph and Jennings arent big play makers?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Bet ya the Vikings at least split the series with Lions. I'm sure you are confident enough to take me up on that.

Hmmmm.....divisional games are always tough no matter how weak the opponent is, so I wouldn't be surprised with a 1-1 split. I'm down for a $10 or avatar bet we sweep you guys after the disappointing losses we had to you guys last year.

Apparently Chan crashed his ambulance, so I'll be doing the Raidas.

Coaching

Raiders got a lot better in the coaching department. First they fired OC Greg Knapp and brought in Greg Olson. Olson while not great is still a big improvement over Knapp and is trying to fit the scheme to the players. Tony Sparano was brought in to coach the o-line and help make the switch back to a power scheme. While Sparano has his failings as a HC he is a great line coach and should get the most out of a pretty solid lineup. Bob Sanders who had some good years in Green Bay as defensive coordinator was brought in to coach the linebackers and should have them playing good football along with Jason Tarver who was retained as defensive coordinator and is a smart guy, he just didn't have much to work with last year. Dennis Allen was also retained as head coach and seems a lot more comfortable and more confident this year. Bobby April was also brought in to help a special teams squad who was pitiful last year.

Offense

Biggest battle is going on at QB, with Flynn holding off an emerging Terrelle Pryor (go ahead and laugh). Pryor, long critiqued for his poor mechanics worked with Tom House over the offseason and has greatly improved his accuracy and footwork. He is much more consistent now throwing the football, but is still lagging a bit on the mental side, holding on to the ball too long, making poor reads etc. Still has a ton more upside than Flynn, but Dennis Allen is conservative and values consistency over potential and explosiveness, so expect Flynn to start but to have a shorter leash than initially thought.

Also on the QB front Tyler Wilson is apparently so dumb that he is losing snaps to Matt McGloin. Still, I think it's more of a message as McGloin has little to no upside and will be lucky to ever land a backup job. McGloin will either be cut or may land on the practice squad if he clears waivers.

There's also talk of trading Pryor, but I don't see it happening. At 24 he is still a project with upside and has a great work ethic and attitude. Also not sure who would trade for him. Not too mention that would leave Wilson and McGloin as the backups to Flynn.

Wide Receivers

Rod Streater and Denarius Moore will likely be the starters but after that there's a lot of competition among Jacoby Ford (who is made of glass) and rookies Brice Butler, who has looked good in camp, along with Connor Vernon and then there's Andre Holmes who spent time in New England and Dallas I believe as mostly a practice squad player. He's reportedly having a good camp and is a big physical guy at 6'5 220. He's also a fan of adderall and is suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Juron Criner who was drafted in the 5th round last year hasn't looked great in camp and may find himself fighting for a roster spot if he has a bad preseason. Also Greg Jenkins a converted QB out of Alabama has been making some noise in camp.

Tightends

Daryl Ausberry and rookie Mychael Rivera have the best hands, but neither are great at blocking, tho Rivera can surprisingly hold his own in that regard despite being undersized at 6'3 240. Rookie Nick Kasa has the most upside, but is raw and way behind. Richard Gordon is huge at 280 and is the best blocker, not sure if he makes the roster. I expect Ausberry to be the starter with Rivera getting a lot of time as well, he has the ability to line up in the slot or at FB. Kasa could prove useful in the red zone.

O-line

Not too many battles here. Lucas Nix, an UDFA last year had beaten out 2012 3rd pick Tony Bergstrom at LG until a knee injury last week that sidelined him though is not expected to keep him out that long. Also Alex Barron, who washed out in St Louis is pushing Khalif Barnes at RT, Barnes while not great by any means is a solid starter, so Barron is playing pretty good and even filled in for Jared "Hulk Smash" Veldeer at LT on Saturday. C is set with Lil Wiz and Briesiel seems to be holding on to the RG position for now. 2nd round rookie OT Menelik Watson hasn't practiced at all due to an undisclosed injury.

Defense

D-Line

Lot of nagging injuries at the DT position, but the ends look set with Lamarr Houston and old man Andre Carter. I don't expect Carter to be an everydown guy, he will share time with edge setter Jason Hunter. Rookie David Bass is looking good and will have a big pass-rushing role, with the possibility of him lining up at OLB at times. 2nd year man DE Jack Crawford who is 6'5 280 was lining up at DT yesterday due to injuries and might get some playing time there this year. His speed could be a mismatch for interior lineman.

Vance Walker who had a good year in ATL last season and graded out as one of the better DTs in the league according to PFF will likely be starting inside with 2nd year man Christo Bilukidi, who is very athletic and should take a big step this year. Pat Sims was the projected starter, but hasn't practiced at all. I think Bilukidi is an upgrade over him, personally. Rookie Stacy McGee has reportedly looked pretty good in camp as well but is also nursing an injury.

LBs

Injuries to Kaluka Maiava and Miles Burris have kinda limited the battles here. Projected starters are now Will - Kevin Burnett, Mike - Nick Roach and 3rd round rookie Sio Moore at Sam. Moore has been a superstar in camp.

Secondary

Starters seems to be set here as well with Mike Jenkins and DJ Hayden starting on the outside. DJ Hayden has been practicing in a red no contact jersey, tho and likely won't play in the first couple preseason games. Not sure if he's a week one starter or not as they're smartly bringing him along slowly. Expect Porter to start if he's not ready.

Tracy Porter will probably be the NB tho Phillip Adams will be pushing him and all the others for playing time.

Safeties are Woodson and Branch with Usama Young backing both of them up with Reggie Smith behind him.

Overall I'm not expecting any miracles here, but barring injuries I think our defense is pretty solid and will surprise. Offense depends a lot on QB play from Flynn. I'm still not sure about him, but for better or worse he is our starter. I think if he manages the games well and DMC stays healthy we might rumble to an 8-8 finish. If he's terrible and Pryor is forced in then I think we can still win some games. 5-11 is my floor for this team.

Hmmmm.....divisional games are always tough no matter how weak the opponent is, so I wouldn't be surprised with a 1-1 split. I'm down for a $10 or avatar bet we sweep you guys after the disappointing losses we had to you guys last year.

Sure, if you guys sweep the Vikings you can pick my avatar from the day after the last Viking Lions Game up until 3 months after the super bowl.

If you dont sweep you gotta wear the same avatar I made Goldslion wear last year on the same bet:

toby-gerhart-motorcycle_zps05e097f3.jpg

I'd do a full offseason but I left Goldslion off the hook after like 2 weeks, it gets old.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sure, if you guys sweep the Vikings you can pick my avatar from the day after the last Viking Lions Game up until 3 months after the super bowl.

If you dont sweep you gotta wear the same avatar I made Goldslion wear last year on the same bet:

toby-gerhart-motorcycle_zps05e097f3.jpg

I'd do a full offseason but I left Goldslion off the hook after like 2 weeks, it gets old.

Deal. *handshake*

Ponders' going to get destroyed by our defensive line and either get hurt, or turnover the ball at least 5 times, you realize this, right?

Bowser

Joe Person &#8207;@josephperson 20m
Olsen TD catch despite great coverage by Kuechly.

Carolina Panthers &#8207;@Panthers 20m
WR @ArmantiEdwards taps two feet in the end zone on a difficult TD catch. He drew high praises from @DeAngeloRB. #JumpingHipCheck

Jonathan Jones &#8207;@jjones9 20m
Kuechly's upset after face guarding Olsen and him still catching TD. Woulda been easy PI. LaFell yells "It's ok Luke. He's getting paid too"

CIny8.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Oh yeah, probably.

We'll still win though lol.

We're still the Lions lol, until we win the Superbowl.

Fun NFL Fact of the day: Drew Brees and Matthew Stafford both wear the #9, are friends and were stud High School QBs at rival Texas High Schools, with Stafford leading his school to a state championship. Both had/will have Reggie Bush as a teammate and have led once laughingstock NFL franchises into legitimacy. Both will have a Superbowl ring after this season.

Colasante

Green Bay Packers sign QB Vince Young to a one year deal.

I like the signing. He's an upgrade on Graham Harrell, is more capable as a spot starter, and can probably run an effective read option offense for the scout team.

Fast forward to late January when Vince Fucking Young runs in the game-winning touchdown to send the Packers to the Super Bowl on the frozen Lambeau turf.

The state of Wisconsin will implode.

New Orleans Saints: What to watch out for

Defense

Defense defense defense.

In a season following the worst defensive showing in NFL history, bountygate suspensions notwithstanding, serious gains need to be made in this area if they wanna even reach the post season again. Spagnuolo's out as DC, Rob Ryan is in. The draft was understandably defense focused, with Kenny Vaccaro as the 1st round pick at safety and John Jenkins at DT. The key defensive players were picked up in free agency, however, most notably Steelers CB Keenan Lewis and Cowboys OLB Victor Butler. Vaccaro and Lewis were expected to help finally plug that porous pass defense, and most importantly Butler was expected to provide a much needed pass rush to finally create some takeaway opportunities. Rob Ryan is also upending the tea tables on formation schema: the entire defense is transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Oh also there's presumably no more betting on beating the piss out of opposing players, so that's a big plus.

But alas, even the offseason is not without it's bad voodoo. Victor Butler went down in a freak accident in OTA's from incidental contact, torn ACL, definitively out for the season. Some serious shit creek action going on here. So the question remains can the backfield still hold up its end of the bargain. The line is still captained by vet LB Jonathan Vilma, but he's been showing signs of age as of late, and of course lacking a proper pass rusher the DL better pray to the football gods that we don't face any quick footed QB's. Luckily LB Junior Galette may get his chance to shine as a result, and that's a good thing for a player some have argued hasn't been given many real opportunities to stand out. Last year's pickup of LB Curtis Lofton is still solid. S Malcolm Jenkins needs to step up this year though, as a man who's been hyped up a lot by Payton in the past he's needs a breakout season this year or he could be seeing himself on the bargaining block come next offseason.

I honestly can't say how this defense will turn out, suffice to say it couldn't possibly get any wor-*yank*

Offense

We've still got Drew right?... Right? Stats like last year's 19 interceptions make people a bit nervous wondering how many good years he's got left in him. Luckily when he's also still throwing for 43 TD's and his second consecutive 5000+y season those fears very quickly dissipate. Still, last season was no doubt marred by bountygate, so HC Sean Payton will be eager to come back from his year long suspension with a vengeance and bring the offense back to its pitch perfect superbowl winning self in short order.

WR Devery Henderson was let go in the offseason, but considering the likes of vets Marques Colston, Lance Moore, and TE Jimmy Graham plus fan favorite Joe Morgan still in the backfield there shouldn't be much issue. Morgan in particular will see some good playing time LOLNOPEyearoftheacl.gif since Colston's been sidelined with an injury since the start of camp (expected to return for the full season). Hopes are also running high on the pickup of Steve Breaston to fill out the gaps at the ends of the receiver chart. The rushing game could still use some improvement, but Pierre Thomas continues to be the feature back on the tough yards (though with Mark Ingram nipping at his heels) and Darren Sproles continues with the explosive high yardage plays. The big loss on the OL however was pro bowl LT Jermon Bushrod, and it remains to be seen if the underperforming Charles Brown can fill his seat. An aging Zach Strief is also still at RT, so Brees has his work cut out for him at avoiding sacks.

Offense will hopefully be back to business as usual barring any niggling injuries or the unthinkable sidelining of Brees (or the sudden uncovering of the secret NFL prostitution ring headed by Payton)

Special Teams

Thomas Morstead has a 2 ton pneumatic piston for a leg. Sproles and Courtney Roby usually switch off on receiving duties, though the hopes are for Sproles to break out a bit more on returns. The only real issue here is the ever-inconsistent Garrett Hartley on field goals. The man can bullseye a 45 yarder and then turn around and miss the chip shot 20 yarder far left in overtime. IDK if it's a coaching or discipline issue or what, but as good as he is he remains a liability.

Overall:

NFC south is becoming a more competitive division if the Falcons' last season is any measure. Carolina's also got room to grow. I still see the saints getting at least 10 wins and second in the division, but we'll probably be running for out lives after the wild card again. For sure though, we're not making the superbowl barring some kind of miracle turnaround by the defense. Offense can only score so many points.

Also in slightly related but still cool news, the Saints are currently working out one who could potentially become the NFL's first female official, Sarah Thomas.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Updated the wtwf. Don't hesitate to let me know if I miss yours.

Also, has anyone seen Wes or Zeke? I need those guys to sign up for some fantasy footbaw. And WanderingWind, is Buffalo WhyGodsWhy your team?

Hunter S.

I feel like he's technically still ours. Screw this organization for stuff like this.

Manning must be grinning on the inside all day after stealing Brady's favorite toy.
Actually, his receiving core was already strong. Welker might get hyped early on for his name. But, in the end, he will be among the leagues top receiving groups. Peyton will spread the ball around. Welker is big time depth, not the major threat. Blame Belichick.

Godslay

Banned
Actually, his receiving core was already strong. Welker might get hyped early on for his name. But, in the end, he will be among the leagues top receiving groups. Peyton will spread the ball around. Welker is big time depth, not the major threat. Blame Belichick.

Agreed. DT is the major threat. Adding Wes makes him that much more dangerous, as well as Decker by default.

If Julius Thomas continues to shine like he has in camp, mother of god...

Bowser

Chris Scott is bad at football. So him getting hurt is a blessing really

@josephperson: Rivera said Chris Scott got dehydrated and cramped up and was sent in for an IV. Scott, as mentioned before, not in terribly good shape.

@daringantt: @josephperson Too fat to safely practice?

@josephperson: @daringantt That would be my diagnosis.

wPQoj.gif

Hunter S.

Agreed. DT is the major threat. Adding Wes makes him that much more dangerous, as well as Decker by default.

If Julius Thomas continues to shine like he has in camp, mother of god...

Yeah, the guy could peak now. God, I hope so with that size and weight. Looks good though if Dressen gets injured for a longer term. This is something to watch for sure in the preseason.

Milchjon

But that's what I did!

And I'm quite aware of how good your WR corps looks. No excuses for Peyton this time!

I don't know man, I think he could give Rodgers a run for his money. You have to consider the importance of mobility in today's NFL. Rodgers is slow as molasses and it's been holding back GB for years.
I guess that Super Bowl he took them to was nothin special. The packers weakness has been a solid running game. It's easy as a defensive coordinator to gameplay the packers play coverages with blitzes and don't worry about the run. Football 101 !!!! Vince young is not a threat!

jakncoke

Banned
I guess that Super Bowl he took them to was nothin special. The packers weakness has been a solid running game. It's easy as a defensive coordinator to gameplay the packers play coverages with blitzes and don't worry about the run. Football 101 !!!! Vince young is not a threat!

lol you missed obvious satire. you're new arent you

Top Bottom