• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 10 |OT| - [expletive] this [expletive] [expletive]

squicken

I hope so, I still really like Tannehill though so I'm torn between firing everyone and having him start again with a new coach/system or keeping at least Philbin around, but whatever, season is done anyways so we'll see what happens.

I don't see them giving up on him. But Ross is pretty image conscious, and I don't think Ireland and staff survive bringing all of this down on the team. Owners generally overreact to failures. Bad team with a disciplinarian? Bring in a players' coach? Too many goons? Bring in a GM who wants choir boys.

Matt Millen loved good character guys. So they had the nicest, hard working 0-16 team ever. So the Fords brought in Mayhew, who would line up 11 Billy Coles if he could

I don't see them giving up on him. But Ross is pretty image conscious, and I don't think Ireland and staff survive bringing all of this down on the team. Owners generally overreact to failures. Bad team with a disciplinarian? Bring in a players' coach? Too many goons? Bring in a GM who wants choir boys.

Matt Millen loved good character guys. So they had the nicest, hard working 0-16 team ever. So the Fords brought in Mayhew, who would line up 11 Billy Coles if he could
Failure in the NFL is losing, the rest is just a footnote.

squicken

Failure in the NFL is losing, the rest is just a footnote.

I see your point. But what the NFL is, in my opinion, is the Bill Cowher quote: Is the production worth the problem?

Sean Payton was worth keeping even if he is a drug fiend. Big Ben is worth keeping even if he is a rapist. Is Joe Philbin going 9-7 and losing in the first round worth keeping after all this?

Should be an easy win on Monday. Phins just need some other controversy to come along and distract the media

I see your point. But what the NFL is, in my opinion, is the Bill Cowher quote: Is the production worth the problem?

Sean Payton was worth keeping even if he is a drug fiend. Big Ben is worth keeping even if he is a rapist. Is Joe Philbin going 9-7 and losing in the first round worth keeping after all this?

Should be an easy win on Monday. Phins just need some other controversy to come along and distract the media

Where the hell is Tebow?!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
People are getting angry over my change in avatar, but they just don't understand the beauty of Case Keenum.

jbug617

Banned
Is this new?

According to two sources, suspended Dolphins guard Richie Incognito regularly held meetings for the team’s offensive linemen at a South Florida strip club, demanding that other linemen attend at the location. Incognito went so far as to “fine” teammates in an erstwhile kangaroo court if they did not show up.

“Richie wanted to set up Richie’s world as a way for everybody to act,” a team source said. “Richie thinks everybody should act that way. He doesn’t get that some guys aren’t into that behav-ior. Some guys don’t want to constantly explain to their wife or girlfriend why they have to go to a strip club.”

If players didn’t go, Incognito would mock them for not being part of the group, one of the sources said.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Incognito-held-Oline-meetings-at-strip-club.html

The weird thing is Philbin is a coach who is big on character. I don't think he would bring a guy like Incognito in to begin with to be honest, but he was already on the team so Philbin just had to deal with it.

I think this incident is more of an indication of Martin and Incognito's character than the state of leadership in the Dolphins locker room or Philbin's control over the team. There is still a strong possibility this is a micro issue that has been blown up into a macro issue because that's what the media does. If Philbin and the team show resolve through this situation and start winning some games then I could see the narrative start to change.

In the words of legendary Dolphins QB David Garrard, "winning cures everything."

DMczaf

According to two sources, suspended Dolphins guard Richie Incognito regularly held meetings for the team’s offensive linemen at a South Florida strip club, demanding that other linemen attend at the location. Incognito went so far as to “fine” teammates in an erstwhile kangaroo court if they did not show up.

tumblr_mdqoxy1PES1ruz2ajo1_500.png

I guess the Bills are releasing WR Brad Smith off of IR today. Should generate some interest if he's healthy. Wonder why they are releasing him though?

Wouldn't mind having him on the Raiders.

eznark

Banned
It looks to me like Philbin misjudged Incognito's ability for nuance. His brand of leadership is "fuck you pussy bitch do it better or I will kill your unborn child!!!!!!!! Nice job bro, lets go get a beer!" Most offensive linemen I played with have that attitude of motivation-via-belittlement.

Guy skips OTA's though and is a projected starter. At some point I assume the organization felt like it was time to try anything to get a way to motivate this lazy wallflower.

I guess Philbin went to Incognito for the answer since Incognito had somehow become an influential leader on the team.

Problem with that is if Richie Incognito is the answer to your question, you done fucked up.

Tamanon

Banned
The weird thing is Philbin is a coach who is big on character. I don't think he would bring a guy like Incognito in to begin with to be honest, but he was already on the team so Philbin just had to deal with it.

I think this incident is more of an indication of Martin and Incognito's character than the state of leadership in the Dolphins locker room or Philbin's control over the team. There is still a strong possibility this is a micro issue that has been blown up into a macro issue because that's what the media does. If Philbin and the team show resolve through this situation and start winning some games then I could see the narrative start to change.

In the words of legendary Dolphins QB David Garrard, "winning cures everything."

Except for Crohn's Disease unfortunately:(

Fox318

It looks to me like Philbin misjudged Incognito's ability for nuance. His brand of leadership is "fuck you pussy bitch do it better or I will kill your unborn child!!!!!!!! Nice job bro, lets go get a beer!" Most offensive linemen I played with have that attitude of motivation-via-belittlement.

Guy skips OTA's though and is a projected starter. At some point I assume the organization felt like it was time to try anything to get a way to motivate this lazy wallflower.

I guess Philbin went to Incognito for the answer since Incognito had somehow become an influential leader on the team.

Problem with that is if Richie Incognito is the answer to your question, you done fucked up.
Have you ever threatened to inseminate a teammates sister?

Tom Penny

Incognito is the scapegoat for Martin who doesn't even like the NFL but likes those checks. He loses his job and suddenly hates being bullied and quits on the team. Simple as that.

Incognito is the scapegoat for Martin who doesn't even like the NFL but likes those checks. He loses his job and suddenly hates being bullied and quits on the team. Simple as that.

Pretty much.

Also hilarious that the media is making a bigger deal over this than murderers and rapists playing in the league. (Not naming any names)

squicken

Joe Thomas with some interesting thoughts on RBs and the run game in general

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/1646/thomas-100-yard-runners-dont-win-games

“You have to have soembody who’s a once-in-a-generation talent like Adrian Peterson to really be a difference maker in the game,” Thomas said. “But you get one Josh Gordon, you throw him a jump ball in triple coverage and he goes up and catches a touchdown, you win the game. That’s one guy, one play. He can do that three times in a game. Calvin Johnson. You can go down the list of guys like that who are game-changers. A.J. Green.

“You have to change the entire defense to try to take somebody like that out of the game. And the running game is so hard. Because first of all you have to have six, sometimes seven guys blocking perfectly up front. One mistake and it’s a tackle for a loss. So you have to have seven victories. And then you have to have a RB beat a safety. Today’s safeties are pretty good.”

Thomas also pointed out that offenses are getting more sophisticated at giving the quarterback the extra second he needs to make the throw. Colin Kaepernick’s fakes, he said, freeze a defense for a second.

It would also explain why the Browns have won games when they got good quarterback play and lost when they didn’t.

“That’s why you see quarterbacks, you see the value on those guys going through the roof,” he said. “Mid-level quarterbacks get $20 million a year year because they’re that important. And those receivers are going to start going that way, too.

“And the running backs, unfortunately for them they just don’t have a place in this game anymore like they used to.”

To the point that Thomas said he wouldn’t draft a running back in the first round.

The starting point for this conversation? Why did Thomas think Richardson did not work out in Cleveland?

“I’m not gonna throw stones at a guy that’s not on the team anymore,” Thomas said. “But it’s hard to say it didn’t work out because we got a first-round pick for him. So obviously someone thinks he’s pretty good. I think it comes down to production wasn’t great here, so they felt a first-round pick would be a good trade.

“And, I’m sure in today’s day and age, the value on running backs is down.”

BG, now that we know you are a QB prophet we have asked your opinion on who you want the Browns to draft.

Please share with us your wisdom.
Lol..... but here are guys I like, and when I post these I don't really expect us to need them to come right out the gate and start right away.

Boyd - despite the performance In the Florida game. people seem to have cooled down on him after that Saturday night game. But I like what I think he could do with Chud and Norv.

Manzielly Fish
Mariota
Bridgewater
Hundley - but if he comes out I'd definetly want him to sit abit
Stephen Morris - haven't had the chance to see to many of his games this year, but I'm still gonna throw him on here.
Garappolo - personally haven't seen him play, but he's been talked about on Browns radio and I guess we scouted him to. So just throwing his name on the post

But of all these guys I think right now I'm most interested in Boyd, Mariota, and Manziel.
He was at the game for the chicken wings.
:jnc

Dragon

Banned
Believing lying attention whores online seems pretty naive to me bro. The CEO of EA said during their conference call that both companies are going to ship 5 million consoles by May of next year. I guess Sony is have low yields as well.

LOL Dude, does a username like 'crazybuttocksonatrain' really piss you off this much?

And now you're referring to EA as if they're a trustworthy source for anything. Especially regarding Microsoft. Hilarious!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711412

Time to watch my favorite movie.

RHyJp4I.gif

No one can say that every Michael Bay movie is a complete turd with this evidence.

ShaneB

Joe Thomas with some interesting thoughts on RBs and the run game in general

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/1646/thomas-100-yard-runners-dont-win-games

Great read, and definitely true, which makes me extra sad :( I love great run offences, just driving the ball upfield on the ground and doing it little by little.

edit: Yay Friday! I'm always kinda bummed now when the Hawks play at 1pm, I'm so use now to the overflow of early games making Redzone great to watch.

squicken

But of all these guys I think right now I'm most interested in Boyd, Mariota, and Manziel.

:jnc

Boyd? I didn't like what I saw from Mariota yesterday but that was really the first I had seen of him.. But Boyd I have seen enough of to not be a big fan. He's just too inaccurate and, for his height, he can't be deficient in other areas

I'll withhold my thoughts on JFF. His last home game is this weekend. Been a fun two years from a really frustrating program

Jacobs doubtful for Sunday.
Corey Webster Out
Trumaine McBride Questionable (i.e. he's going and starting in place of Webster again)

Hillis/Cox will likely be the starters at RB and they'll mix in Andre Brown slowly is my guess.

Top Bottom