• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 10 |OT| - [expletive] this [expletive] [expletive]

eznark

Banned
everyone needs to CALM DOWN!

iA5rIC4nIYT7i.gif

effzee

It's ok, I didn't mention Cameron.

Oh fuck, here comes his 8 paragraph essay on why Avatar is the most important movie of the 26th century.

Who knows. He is probably working on his thesis about the organisms and native language on Pandora.

Isn't he banned?

Yeah I thought he kept getting banned every week or so turns out he asks for bans to stay away or something.

Anyway because I don't know where else to post this. Felt the baby kicking for the first time last night. Wife been feeling it but last night I finally got a little kick. I couldn't fall asleep afterwards. This guy is on his way yo!

You guys better be nice to me or I'll snap

like rodgers' collar bone

LOL, this was your best joke by far.

Who knows. He is probably working on his thesis about the organisms and native language on Pandora.

Yeah I thought he kept getting banned every week or so turns out he asks for bans to stay away or something.

Anyway because I don't know where else to post this. Felt the baby kicking for the first time last night. Wife been feeling it but last night I finally got a little kick. I couldn't fall asleep afterwards. This guy is on his way yo!

Damn man that is so awesome. I cant wait to fell the baby kick. That is going to be such an amazing moment.

PC GAF forever. Better performance, upgradeable, no sub-1080p shenanigans, mods, $4.99 Steam sales, etc. I'm going to save the $400+ and pick up a new graphics card at some point next year. My faithful 560ti won't cut it at max settings for some of the new stuff coming out.

In topic, I wish the Chiefs weren't on a bye this week. We're on a roll and don't have any seriously banged up players. I wish we could just keep playing until we do our first game.

Trey

Destiny better not suck. If it's simply Guild Wars with guns, the world better be charming as fuck. Don't really care about next gen at this point, otherwise.

rando14

PC GAF forever. Better performance, upgradeable, no sub-1080p shenanigans, mods, $4.99 Steam sales, etc. I'm going to save the $400+ and pick up a new graphics card at some point next year. My faithful 560ti won't cut it at max settings for some of the new stuff coming out.

In topic, I wish the Chiefs weren't on a bye this week. We're on a roll and don't have any seriously banged up players. I wish we could just keep playing until we do our first game.

Is there a best time to pick up new PC parts? My rig is getting old and my 480 is quickly getting out of date!

#teamPCand3DS

There's room for both you filthy poor!

ShaneB

All I ever see you play is NBA 2K14! :p

XCOM expansion comes out quite soon, I'll have to start playing that again, to break up my playing of Pinball Arcade and Madden 08. Exciting!

Ya if I didn't have teenage boys I'd be upgrading my laptop to a desktop with the funds I'm spending on the XBone and going PC only.

Alas, that is for next gen.

Is there a best time to pick up new PC parts? My rig is getting old and my 480 is quickly getting out of date!

#teamPCand3DS

Hmm... I have an Asus laptop with an Intel i7, 2.2Ghz but only an nVidia GeForce 630M. If the i7 is sufficient, can I upgrade the nVidia to a more modern card and play more modern games or should I just be looking to upgrade the whole thing?

#teamPCand3DS

I'm the absolute worst to ask on that, but I imagine the brand new NVIDIA and Ati cards will drive down the prices of previous models. You have to realize that any $350+ GPU you buy in the next year will destroy what's in either console.

There's room for both you filthy poor!

Not poor. Frugal. I've owned basically every console and handheld ever but don't get my money's worth out of them. I currently have a Wii, 360, and PS3 sitting in a closet downstairs. I should donate them to Goodwill since I'll never use them. I have played my Vita a bit this year, but never at home.

All I ever see you play is NBA 2K14! :p

XCOM expansion comes out quite soon, I'll have to start playing that again, to break up my playing of Pinball Arcade and Madden 08. Exciting!

I started playing a bit of CS again last night with my brother, but you're right. I'm pretty stagnant on games right now. Maybe I should finally play Mass Effect 3 or install Dishonored or something.

Given the choice between gaming and reading a book...well I've hit 52 books so far this year so that's clearly winning it.

Ya if I didn't have teenage boys I'd be upgrading my laptop to a desktop with the funds I'm spending on the XBone and going PC only.

Alas, that is for next gen.

That, I understand. When my son gets old enough to be interested in games I might pick up a console. Of course I'll probably just build a dedicated Steambox.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm the absolute worst to ask on that, but I imagine the brand new NVIDIA and Ati cards will drive down the prices of previous models. You have to realize that any $350+ GPU you buy in the next year will destroy what's in either console.
Not after Windows is done with it!

Not after Windows is done with it!

Windows does nothing to task a GPU. Perhaps you're thinking CPU, but even in that front it doesn't bottleneck anything. About the only thing it affects is your RAM, which is so dirt cheap that most of us are running 16-32 gigs, making memory a complete non-factor.

I can't think of a single area where Windows as an operating system is tasking my system, and I'm not rocking anything close to a monster compared to some of the stuff PC GAF has.

Dragon

Banned
I am not insecure about anything. I like that you couldnt discount anything I said so you had to resort to some pathetic bullshit like making it seem like I could ever be as sad as you. You even say that you are ingrained on one side, where I want all 3 consoles to be amazing. You are invested in the things that these "insiders" say being true because it is all negative about a company that you have decided to hate, for what ever reason.

So is this a way of saying that you are 'balanced'? Because frankly dude if you don't have the self-awareness to realize that you favor one thing over another I'd feel sad.

So is this a way of saying that you are 'balanced'? Because frankly dude if you don't have the self-awareness to realize that you favor one thing over another I'd feel sad.

Of course I am balanced. You only see things through your crazy fanboy glasses. PS3 was a great console, vita is by far the best handheld of all time, and I have no doubt at all that the PS4 will be a great console. Most of us are not as sad as you and have to chose sides.

All of this is irrelevant to me because it doesn't allow me to play games from SCE Japan, Polyphony, Naughty Dog, SCE Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Clap Hanz, Ready at Dawn, Sanzaru, Quantic Dream, etc.

ShaneB

I started playing a bit of CS again last night with my brother, but you're right. I'm pretty stagnant on games right now. Maybe I should finally play Mass Effect 3 or install Dishonored or something.

Given the choice between gaming and reading a book...well I've hit 52 books so far this year so that's clearly winning it.

Yeah, as I've talked to you about, my interests have leaned much more towards wondering what book I'm going to read next instead of caring about what game to play. If you are playing CS, I'll gladly join (If you're playing CS:GO).

What sort of hard evidence? You mean something like a recorded voice mail with Incognito saying all sorts of racist, threatening things?

I was thinking more along the lines of Ireland ignoring his complaints and telling him to just punch Richie in the face. It has already been established that Ritchie is a scumbag, I want to see if Philbin or Ireland were really complaisant in all this.

eznark

Banned
What sort of hard evidence? You mean something like a recorded voice mail with Incognito saying all sorts of racist, threatening things?

He claimed yesterday that there was a serious physical assault. It'd be nice if there were some evidence of that. That said, even if there is evidence that didn't help the dude Tom Cable beat the fuck out of.

Dragon

Banned
Of course I am balanced. You only see things through your crazy fanboy glasses. PS3 was a great console, vita is by far the best handheld of all time, and I have no doubt at all that the PS4 will be a great console. Most of us are not as sad as you and have to chose sides.

There aren't enough ok.gifs for this post. Microsoft is trying, and succeeding, at blurring the lines of the games industry and making us go crazy for shit like watching TV on a video game console. All the good will they built up from me personally from the 360 was washed away in the utter detritus that was their reveal. And nothing's changed as far as I'm concerned. Sure they delivered a great looking OS. I personally could not care less about Skype or signing in with Kinect (no one else games on my console so this was never a problem).

They buy and moneyhat shit like HBO Go and Netflix. They're disgusting and don't tell me I should support them to appear like I don't play favorites. I'm playing favorites because of the last three years when they abandoned the Xbox 360 as if it were a boy being abandoned in the northern reaches of Westeros.

There aren't enough ok.gifs for this post. Microsoft is trying, and succeeding, at blurring the lines of the games industry and making us go crazy for shit like watching TV on a video game console. All the good will they built up from me personally from the 360 was washed away in the utter detritus that was their reveal. And nothing's changed as far as I'm concerned. Sure they delivered a great looking OS. I personally could not care less about Skype or signing in with Kinect (no one else games on my console so this was never a problem).

They buy and moneyhat shit like HBO Go and Netflix. They're disgusting and don't tell me I should support them to appear like I don't play favorites. I'm playing favorites because of the last three years when they abandoned the Xbox 360 as if it were a boy being abandoned in the northern reaches of Westeros.

No one is telling you to do a fucking thing. I dont give a fuck what made up bullshit you use to justify loving one for profit company over the other. You are the one projecting your bullshit onto other people. This gen Sony released a $600 console because they wanted to use their gaming fans to subsidize their blu-ray business and I still bought one at launch. I didnt hold the rootkit scandal against them either, or them letting PSN get hacked and letting peoples personal info get out. These companies make products that I enjoy using and so I buy them. If you dont think one of the companies products appeals to you then dont buy it. Not sure why you get so worked up online about this stuff.

As much as I hate to say it I agree 100%. I don't want to hate MS and come off as a Sony/Nintendo fanboy but I am just so sick of the way they have handled things over the past few years.

Something else that really bothers me is MS' approach to game development. They talk about how you don't have to have internal development studios to create great games because you can just get third party studios to make those games for you or whatever (I'm obviously paraphrasing some here). What bothers me with that mentality is that it adds nothing to the industry from a creative standpoint. All it does is take a game that would exist regardless and restrict the number of people who will be able to experience it. On the other hand, Sony and Nintendo pour tons of resources into developing first party games that would otherwise not exist at all, an approach that only adds to the industry from a creative standpoint. That's what I love so that's what I'm going to support.

To be fair, I realize that this is kind of an oversimplification as MS still has internal studios that create games, but my point is that they are shifting away from that focus (and have been for awhile like you mentioned). We'll still get the next Forza, Gears, and Halo but that's just not going to cut it for me anymore.

Trey

That has value though, because if it was just about pushing the best graphics on the most open platform, consoles wouldn't even exist. People want their devices to do a variety of things. Play Netflix and shit.

Something else that really bothers me is MS' approach to game development. They talk about how you don't have to have internal development studios to create great games because you can just get third party studios to make those games for you or whatever (I'm obviously paraphrasing some here). What bothers me with that mentality is that it adds nothing to the industry from a creative standpoint. All it does is take a game that would exist regardless and restrict the number of people who will be able to experience it. On the other hand, Sony and Nintendo pour tons of resources into developing first party games that would otherwise not exist at all, an approach that only adds to the industry from a creative standpoint. That's what I love so that's what I'm going to support.

The worst thing about that mentality is that MS actually has the hardware that would allow for some interesting, unique applications if it was really focused on. But the Kinect is considered a joke because there is a paltry selection of not-shit titles and applications to support it.

As much as I hate to say it I agree 100%. I don't want to hate MS and come off as a Sony/Nintendo fanboy but I am just so sick of the way they have handled things over the past few years.

To be fair, I realize that this is kind of an oversimplification as MS still has internal studios that create games, but my point is that they are shifting away from that focus (and have been for awhile like you mentioned). We'll still get the next Forza, Gears, and Halo but that's just not going to cut it for me anymore.

And yet MS has invested over 1 billion dollars opening new studios. I think they are trying to do both. Clearly they are behind Sony in terms of number of studios so they have to try and catch up. Sony has also bought studios, not every Sony 1st party studio was created internally.

And yet MS has invested over 1 billion dollars opening new studios. I think they are trying to do both. Clearly they are behind Sony in terms of number of studios so they have to try and catch up. Sony has also bought studios, not every Sony 1st party studio was created internally.
The numbers are fine but until they manifest into games that interest me I really find it hard to care. I understand that a lot of this is personal preference but MS just isn't making first party games that interest me these days, and all the timed exclusive stuff is just annoying (no matter which company is doing it).

I don't really care how a studio became first party as long as they are making games that interest me. What annoys me is seeing stuff like Titanfall go exclusive for no reason whatsoever other than MS wanting to restrict anyone but PC/360/XBO users from playing it. It's not the fact that I need a particular system to play the game that bothers me, it's just that I'd like to see those resources invested in first party development instead.

Nothing MS has done from a first-party perspective has intrigued me in years. Halo 4 was decent but it clearly showed that the series has run out of creativity, Fable is now trash, Gears is now in uninspired spin-off territory, etc. MS doens't have a single game from this entire generation that can stack up with The Last of Us, for instance.

Again, this is all just personal preference.

All of this is irrelevant to me because it doesn't allow me to play games from SCE Japan, Polyphony, Naughty Dog, SCE Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Clap Hanz, Ready at Dawn, Sanzaru, Quantic Dream, etc.

Yeah, there are maybe 3-4 good titles I might miss over the lifespan of a console that don't end up with a vastly superior PC version at a later date. But even owning all the consoles I'm not buying those games so I guess no big loss.

I think that's a perfectly acceptable tradeoff considering how much better the other 99% of games run and look on the PC. All the multiplatform stuff will be better on PC, and that's the vast majority of games now.

Yeah, as I've talked to you about, my interests have leaned much more towards wondering what book I'm going to read next instead of caring about what game to play. If you are playing CS, I'll gladly join (If you're playing CS:GO).

We both have CSGO, I just have to install it. He seems really into Source with his friends, so it might just be me hopping along. Also, I'm awful at it.

Top Bottom