• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

I think Romo is fine. Garrett's offensive system is really not meant for a QB like Romo.

You see Rivers struggle similarly in Norv's Air Coryell system. Garrett being a disciple of Norv, employs a similar system. I just don't think Romo has the arm to stretch field like the Coryell playbook demands. If you watched the game today, you could see Romo under throwing Dez several times, despite Dez beating his man.
That's fine, but most of Romo's late game interceptions aren't on long throws. He's a choker and that's usually not a trait you can shed.

wait what

Credit coach Jeff Fisher for a masterful game plan after assuming Tim Walton's responsibilities as defensive coordinator. Peeved over Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's abrupt departure last offseason, Fisher had his troops ready to play at a fever pitch Sunday. The Rams intercepted Drew Brees on his first two possessions, and never looked back.

squicken can you confirm this? if this is the case I guess we don't need to have any worries about him getting fired in the offseason.

Farooq

Banned
That's fine, but most of Romo's late game interceptions aren't on long throws. He's a choker and that's usually not a trait you can shed.

That last interception was on his receiver. Beasely sat his route down, while Romo expected him to keep going. Beasley admitted to making a mistake. You can say he is a choker, but he also had several comeback wins this season. What happened in those games? I think the choking stereotype is lazy.

Looking over some random stats for the hell of it. The NFC West went 13-3 against the AFC South, and outside of the Colts, the rest of the AFC South with 1-11 against the NFC West. There's also a chance everyone in the NFC West ends up with a positive +/-. Rams are the only one with a negative at -8, and the play Tampa Bay at home and then at Seattle when it might mean nothing to us.

squicken

wait
squicken can you confirm this? if this is the case I guess we don't need to have any worries about him getting fired in the offseason.

Yeah before the game on NFLN it was reported that Walton was no longer in charge of the defense, and Fisher was taking a bigger, undefined role. Worked out well, at least this week. Hopefully it is the end of Walton

Hi everyone, I'm trying to engage more people from my university to play/watch football.

Could you help me with some opinions about which game from this week would recommend to watch with friends that are new to the sport?

The games that were played on Sunday? For just competitive purposes I'd say Jacksonville vs Buffalo

That last interception was on his receiver. Beasely sat his route down, while Romo expected him to keep going. Beasley admitted to making a mistake. You can say he is a choker, but he also had several comeback wins this season. What happened in those games? I think the choking stereotype is lazy.
I don't. That's the very definition of boom or bust. Cowboys have other problems, namely their atrocious defense, but Romo has consistently had issues with late game shenanigans. It's so consistent its manifested itself into an easily identifiable pattern .

LJ11

Romos a choker, but he's always put in positions to choke. A lot rides on his shoulders, D is junk, has been for a while.

Jerry's the real problem.

Edit: don't watch bills/jags, that game was how to make mistakes 101. Fisch drew up some nice plays though, double WR screen with TE running down the seam is filthy.

Romos a choker, but he's always put in positions to choke. A lot rides on his shoulders, D is junk, has been for a while.

Jerry's the real problem.

Edit: don't watch bills/jags, that game was how to make mistakes 101. Fisch drew up some nice plays though, double WR screen with TE running down the seam is filthy.
For football noobs, mistakes are perfect!

Farooq

Banned
I don't. That's the very definition of boom or bust. Cowboys have other problems, namely their atrocious defense, but Romo has consistently had issues with late game shenanigans. It's so consistent its manifested itself into an easily identifiable pattern .

I think the bold part is incorrect. I think it is the teams inability to finish that makes it seem like Romo's late game shenanigans are more prevalent then they actually are.

Romo has the most comeback wins since 2011. This team relies on Romo too much. When he fails, which is inevitable. He gets labeled a choker.

Draconian

Wait, really? I thought people here were saying that he was supposed to sit the route down because there was a defender to the outside. Not that it matters anyway. I haven't watched many Cowboys games, but the ones I have I've seen way too many of these miscommunications between Romo and the receivers.

Farooq

Banned
Wait, really? I thought people here were saying that he was supposed to sit the route down because there was a defender to the outside. Not that it matters anyway. I haven't watched many Cowboys games, but the ones I have I've seen way too many of these miscommunications between Romo and the receivers.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...put-the-ball-where-defense-could-make-a-.html

Cole Beasley said it was his fault Tony Romo’s last pass was intercepted.

“I got to keep running. That was on me. That is all it was,” Beasley said. “Stopped when I should have kept going.”

Beasley, who caught three passes for 19 yards, said he saw a defender where he was going and stopped.

“I just saw the corner and thought I was down in the hole. I don’t have the option to do that on that play. I should have kept going,” he said. “I got a good feel for holes, and I felt a little hole right there. But on that play, I can’t really read it like that. I just got to keep going. On other plays I can do that, but on this one I couldn’t.”

Romo agreed the route was cut off, but said he should not have put the ball in a position where it could have been intercepted.

“He ended up cutting his route off, and I threw it as if he was going to continue to go to the sidelines,” Romo said. “We’ll get that right and go back and assess the process and get it right.”

Yea, Beasely messed up the last one.

Awesome to see the Rams win. We could have a nice couple of seasons. Unfortunately I still think the window for this regime is closed with the other 3 teams in the division.

Fisher's defensive philosophy is so frustrating to watch though. Playing prevent all the time and forcing a team to beat you by marching down the field with no big plays is nervewracking. When it works it is awesome. When we don't get defensive turnovers we lose. That could change with Bradford back next year. The offense has gotten marginally better. There are still way too many drops and stalled drives, but there are way less checkdowns, a greater commitment to throw the ball downfield, and the dedication to the run game actually works with a good RB and an O line playing well. Again, I feel our window has closed, but we could have a fun couple of seasons

cajunator

Banned
Awesome to see the Rams win. We could have a nice couple of seasons. Unfortunately I still think the window for this regime is closed with the other 3 teams in the division.

Fisher's defensive philosophy is so frustrating to watch though. Playing prevent all the time and forcing a team to beat you by marching down the field with no big plays is nervewracking. When it works it is awesome. When we don't get defensive turnovers we lose. That could change with Bradford back next year. The offense has gotten marginally better. There are still way too many drops and stalled drives, but there are way less checkdowns, a greater commitment to throw the ball downfield, and the dedication to the run game actually works with a good RB and an O line playing well. Again, I feel our window has closed, but we could have a fun couple of seasons

Im just disappointed how shitty our oline has been on the road. It has been the whole problem this year.

Milchjon

tA07G1x.png

Damn. Wouldn't hate that at all.

Of course that's not how it's going to end up...

I get that people hate Sherman for what he does/says off the field, but I'm not sure how people can hate him during games. Besides being great, he shows more emotion than almost anyone on the sidelines. He's always one of the first people to celebrate anytime someone on offense, defense, or special teams does something good. When Baldwin scored, he was the first one on the sideline to give him love.

Hammer24

Banned
So how about ´em Pats, Milch? They almost pulled their sixth 4th qrt comeback out of the hat. In this season.
Does that mean they are clutch, or that they are on the brink of an epic collapse?

Milchjon

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quoting a post of mine:

I don't want the respect of any sports fan from Boston.

Yes, I'm holding a grudge here

So how about ´em Pats, Milch? They almost pulled their sixth 4th qrt comeback out of the hat. In this season.
Does that mean they are clutch, or that they are on the brink of an epic collapse?

Pats are dead. Would be surprised if Solder plays next week after the second concussion in 8 weeks. So we're out our starting left and right tackle. Our only healthy receivers are Edelman and Amendola, who fill relatively similar roles. Our TEs... well.

Same thing on Defense. We were lucky to make it this far. Can only patch up so many wounds at once.

Wrayfield

Quoting a post of mine:

Yes, I'm holding a grudge here

Pats are dead. Would be surprised if Solder plays next week after the second concussion in 8 weeks. So we're out our starting left and right tackle. Our only healthy receivers are Edelman and Amendola, who fill relatively similar roles. Our TEs... well.

Same thing on Defense. We were lucky to make it this far. Can only patch up so many wounds at once.

You guys are gonna be alright. We needed the W more than you, really.

PS: You and Dutch are the craziest Bostonians I've ever met, and I'm there at least twice a year! :D

overcast

Yeah, really great to see them play hard and win still. It really depends how we do in the draft, and if Bradford comes back strong (I don't really believe in him). Obviously, this division is something else, and we're extremely inconsistent.

This MNF game tomorrow is going to be great.

Milchjon

I'm not sure I can take this any more. The last two weeks had me real close to a heart attack...

Same here. As one guy put it, "4 plays away from 14-0". But at the same time, every game besides maybe the ones against the Steelers and TB could've been lost and was way too close for comfort.

Sappy113

I get what you're saying about the state of the NFC West as a whole, but... the Rams are the youngest team in the league. Obviously that means jackshit if those young guys don't develop like you hope, but the POTENTIAL is there for the Rams to be more than just a spoiler.

Long way to go for sure, and lots of variables come into play, but talking about closed windows is way too premature with a team this young - and prone to go EVEN younger, what with how cap casualties this off-season could very well be the likes of Finnegan, Scott Wells and Harvey Dahl.

Striker

He needs an offensive line, this one stinks..
Hakeem Nicks has to be the most disappointing player on the team, and that's saying a lot considering it includes bums like Snee, Diehl, and Webster. Where's he been? Is he pissed off and running half speed because Cruz got money and he didn't? And yeah the OL is horrific, and Pugh has easily been the best of the crew. Beatty needs to get better, otherwise that signing looks bad for Reese. They need to look into free agency at Guard and look to get a young center as well.

I'm ready for a new coaching staff. Frankly because I have no faith in TC ditching Gilbride when in fact the offense has under-performed two years in a row. And Gilbride Jr. coaching the wide receivers - I mean, wtf.

Tom Penny

Thanks Steelers. That sounds filthy. Gronk as expected destroyed the Pats in the redzone and very likely any slim chance at a deep run. Can't throw to midgets every time in the redzone and expect points.

Hammer24

Banned
The Dolphins aren't the model of health right now either. Keller, Gibson, the O-line, and the secondary have all been hammered by injury.

Aside from the health issues, after the Incognito incident its nothing short of a miracle your guys didn´t get derailed.

LJ11

Dolphins traveling to Buffalo in the middle of December in a must win situation, thats going to be a tough game. Shame the Bills have no QB. Need to keep Manuel under center, looked ok with heavy play action. Tougher to run on the Phins though.

cajunator

Banned
Right now I think the vast majority of teams could veat us on the road. It has something to do with playcalling and schemes dealing with crowd noise. I really dont know why they havent found ways to compensate for our deficiencies on the road.

Top Bottom