• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

ShaneB

It's Monday morning and this is a thread full of heroes! What up Booooys?

4 days of work left until i'm off for 2 weeks. Weeeeee.

dionysus

Yaldog
Right now I think the vast majority of teams could veat us on the road. It has something to do with playcalling and schemes dealing with crowd noise. I really dont know why they havent found ways to compensate for our deficiencies on the road.

Because of an error on the espn app for windows phone, I went all evening thinking the Saints won 31 to 13. I saw this post, was confused about the depressed tone, and discovered the truth.

squicken

BbmxaLMCEAEJm4F.jpg

gata life

squicken

What would Gatas reaction be if he was confronted by one of those hot cheerleaders?

Crying, running away or premature celebration?

I'd be proud of gata either way. If a hot lady not wearing very much gives him an oil painting of him in his prime; he did alright

The games that were played on Sunday? For just competitive purposes I'd say Jacksonville vs Buffalo

Yes, any game from last Sunday. Something that would be interesting to watch for a group of people that doesn't know too much about football.

Thanks for the suggestion

Bowser

Tanier makes a good point that by dragging their feet on Flynn, the Packers probably cost themselves a playoff berth:

Back to the Packers for a moment. If they had signed Matt Flynn the moment the Raiders released him on Oct. 7, they would be closing in on a division title right now. Given the start in the Vikings tie (plus a few more weeks to get re-acclimated to Mike McCarthy's system), Flynn would probably have won that game. Pencil in one more win among the Bears, Eagles or Giants games (the last two were closer than their scores but got out of hand because Scott Tolzien had no chance of engineering comebacks), and the Packers would be 9-5, perhaps with the Bears a game lower in the standings.

No one is drinking any Matt Flynn Jell-O shots, just as we knew better than to shotgun cans of McCownbrau. All the Packers needed was baseline backup competency in the month between Rodgers' injury and Flynn's readjustment to his role. They did not get that, even though they knew in training camp that the backup situation was a problem. They dragged their feet and let Flynn go to Buffalo for a few weeks. It may have cost them the playoffs.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64720966/

ShaneB

Yes, any game from last Sunday. Something that would be interesting to watch for a group of people that doesn't know too much about football.

Thanks for the suggestion

Honestly I'd go back to last week's set of games. The entire batch of snow games were something special and a treat to watch. Sure games like those are incredibly rare, but man they are special.

jmdajr

Well AJ and piss poor performance pretty much cost me my playoffs. Fucking A, Texans have to hurt me in more ways than one.

So with a 5-9 record and after the beat down by Seattle yesterday, the Giants locker room has begun to splinter a bit. It's been a minor miracle that it didn't happen sooner considering the losing the streak early on but winning 5 out of 6 even against garbage competition does wonders. After this loss however....

(lengthy post)

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/12/...giants-antrel-rolle-brandon-myers-eli-manning

According to a variety of media reports, Coughlin also tried to issue his standard "put the blame on me for this" speech. Antrel Rolle, however, took the blame off his coach and put it on the players -- again showing that things have finally boiled over in the Giants' locker room.

As mentioned, Coughlin generally takes the blame after a loss in his post-game speeches for not preparing the team well enough but the report above doesn't go all the way. Rolle apparently cut the coach off mid-speech and went in hard at the team for lack of passion and playing with no heart. Here's his words:

"Coach Coughlin can't take any of this blame," Rolle said. "Coach Coughlin, he's a coach, but he can't coach heart, he can't make a play or have heart, he can't make a player have passion about this game, and that's what we were lacking out there today. Like I said, coach can say what he wants, but personally, I won't allow him to take that because coaches coach and the players play the game.

As mentioned, Coughlin wasn't blind to it either. He called the offensive effort "pathetic" and specifically called out players who showed no effort on the field:

"I told the players who prepared and gave great effort that I appreciated what they did, and I told those that were obvious they had not, that I felt sorry for them because they're missing the whole point," Coughlin said.

Brandon Myers was one of the players who looks to have been called out for effort as he took to twitter to defend himself:

Brandon Myers
@myersb83
Follow

Getting cussed out for encouraging ppl am telling them they did a good job is mind blowing.

Brandon Myers
@myersb83
Follow

If ppl on this team wanna take shots at me an say I have no passion they are mistaken. I give everything I have each an every week

Art Stapleton also posted:

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Follow

One pre-SB 46 Giants player told me after the game this was as tension-filled a post-game locker room as #NYG have had since he's been here.

'Trel wasn't shy about pointing the finger at the offense either. More specifically certain players on the offense that "had no pulse" as he said several times though he was diplomatic in not mentioning names (*cough* Hakeem Nicks *cough*)

“If you don’t have passion about this game you don’t need to be out there on the field,” Rolle said, adding, “Sometimes out there it looked like we didn’t have a pulse.’’

And yes, Rolle made it clear he wasn’t talking about his defensive unit.

“You all saw the game,’’ Rolle said. “I don’t have to say anything. This is not about pointing fingers, it’s not about that, but it is what it is. If you saw the game you know exactly what you saw.’’

Watching the game yesterday, it was obvious who was interested and being there and who wasn't. The defense played its heart out and give it everything they had and the half of the offense looked it preferred to be at home watching the game instead of playing it.

3 of the 5 starters on the offense line need to be let go at the end of the season. Hakeem Nicks has played himself out of a contract this season and frankly he can fuck off after the complete lack of heart he showed yesterday. Not fighting for contested passes, lazy fucking routes and then acting indignant about the coach labeling the offensive effort pathetic when he was one of the main culprits. He won't be in a Giants uniform in 2014.

squicken

3 of the 5 starters on the offense line need to be let go at the end of the season. Hakeem Nicks has played himself out of a contract this season and frankly he can fuck off after the complete lack of heart he showed yesterday. Not fighting for contested passes, lazy fucking routes and then acting indignant about the coach labeling the offensive effort pathetic when he was one of the main culprits. He won't be in a Giants uniform in 2014.

Nicks has been shameful in every game I have watched. Like he is playing not to get hurt or is mad that Cruz got paid and he didn't. Either way, any team that pays him big money is dumb. No heart for the game

Nicks has been shameful in every game I have watched. Like he is playing not to get hurt or is mad that Cruz got paid and he didn't. Either way, any team that pays him big money is dumb. No heart for the game

Reese paid the right guy. Cruz may have some silly drops here and again which comes down to concentration but there's never a time I question his effort/heart on the field. I made the case in the offseason that Nicks was the Giants #1 receiver and should be paid but I was dead wrong. I would be just fine if Coughlin benched his ass for the remainder of the season and put Randle/Jernigan/Murphy on the field since Cruz is likely done after the concussion/knee. At this point, you should be in talent evaluation mode. Fucking winning. This offense is broken from top to bottom and major changes are necessary in so far as personnel is concerned.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Reese paid the right guy. Cruz may have some silly drops here and again which comes down to concentration but there's never a time I question his effort/heart on the field. I made the case in the offseason that Nicks was the Giants #1 receiver but I would be just fine if Coughlin benched his ass for the remainder of the season and put Randle/Jernigan on the field. At this point, you should be in talent evaluation mode. Fucking winning. This offense is broken from top to bottom.
And in a professional situation this should be a hedge against a team simply giving up, as players start playing for their own resume. Those who can't be assed to show that they aren't the ones hurting their team deserve their cut.

Tamanon

Banned
Was the playoff win against Denver the highlight of the franchise?

Mark was on fire that day.

It was certainly one of them. There was the year we went 14-2. If it weren't for the damn Titans(beat us three times that year!). Or sending Marino into retirement in humiliation.

ShaneB

Wacky Seahawks stat from yesterday.. "*Leading rusher: Russell Wilson. Leading receiver: Marshawn Lynch"

Sad Giants stat.. "*Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell caught more of Eli Manning's passes (4) than Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz did (3)."

Wacky Seahawks stat from yesterday.. "*Leading rusher: Russell Wilson. Leading receiver: Marshawn Lynch"

Sad Giants stat.. "*Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell caught more of Eli Manning's passes (4) than Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz did (3)."

:jnc Saw that second stat a bit ago. Neither put any fight for their passes (in addition to just being bad throws to start).

Draxal

Reese paid the right guy. Cruz may have some silly drops here and again which comes down to concentration but there's never a time I question his effort/heart on the field. I made the case in the offseason that Nicks was the Giants #1 receiver and should be paid but I was dead wrong. I would be just fine if Coughlin benched his ass for the remainder of the season and put Randle/Jernigan/Murphy on the field since Cruz is likely done after the concussion/knee. At this point, you should be in talent evaluation mode. Fucking winning. This offense is broken from top to bottom and major changes are necessary in so far as personnel is concerned.

Yeah, I think everybody prior to this year thought Nicks was the better player, and everybody was wrong about him.

My only frustration with Coughlin right now is why Hankins and Moore aren't playing. However I put alot of the blame on the teams failure this season on Reese and Marc Ross. The drafts have been a disaster and the oline is in such shambles.

Eleuin

Kendall Wright had 12 receptions for 150 yards yesterday
He now has 85 receptions for over 1000 yards

Where are the titans fans?? I know fitzmagic sucks but..

Top Bottom