• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

MechDX

Agree. Best job available, but a bad cap situation. Stuck with the big money guys. Houston is for a coach wanting to build, b/c the roster is just Watt as far as young talent

Watt only? Hopkins, Brown, Swearinger, Mercilus, Cushing, TE from U Conn had a great end of the season.

After cutting schaub, OD, Smith and a couple overpaid backup o linemen they will be 20-25 millionunder the cap.

Add a patient owner, first class facilities and a #1 overall draft pick Houston is far and away the best spot. PERIOD.

effzee

So do the Browns draft a QB or do they pin their hopes on Hoyer coming back healthy and maybe being the guy?

Next years class looks better now for rookie QBs so they might have to hold off 1 more year.

They do have 2 first round picks right? And some talent on D and Gordon on offense. Not a terrible situation but like most bad teams, the QB puzzle is the biggest to solve.

I do like the fact that Haslem and Banner seemed very self aware about what people think and say about them and the Browns.

I think they target another hot college commodity for a coach. Josh McDaniels doesn't make any sense. I think Bill O'Brien would be a great fit there too and now he probably wants to listen to all these openings.

Lovie Smith to Tampa would make a lot of sense. Felt bad for how he was fired in Chicago.

Leslie Frazier probably lands a DC job somewhere right? I could see Lovie bringing him to Tampa.

eznark

Banned
What the hell was the coverage doing? Did Conte think he had someone up top to cover the deep zone? Why even bother covering the flat with the corner there?

iq7kGdcP5vtLt.gif

No, there was no safety help. It was man up, cover zero, seven man coming. The person who deserves to get shit on is Julius Peppers for yet again playing undisciplined football and letting Rodgers get outside. If Peppers stays home the pressure up the middle blows the play up.

It was a good call. Peppers blew it. Fitting last play for his all hat no cattle career with Chicago.

BigAT

What the hell was the coverage doing? Did Conte think he had someone up top to cover the deep zone? Why even bother covering the flat with the corner there?

iq7kGdcP5vtLt.gif

The coverage was built around the pressure getting there at the appropriate time. The play was only made when Rodgers was somehow able to escape out of the pocket despite the blitz getting through. For most of the quarterbacks in the league, Cobb never has the opportunity to get deep enough to be open.

effzee

iq7kGdcP5vtLt.gif

I think they all were told to sit on the first down markers thinking GB would go for a quick pass to pick up the first. It was 4rth and 8 after all. But when you see someone completely running by you, you would think he would react and follow.

LJ11

A name that never gets any play but should is Christ Petersen, love what he does. Lots of motion, hard nosed teams, not sure why he doesn't get his name mentioned.

Yeah, the Cleveland Media came hard hitting today. A lot of frustration built up from everyone though

Can't blame them.

So guys, who got fired, who am I missing?

Fired watch 2013 said:
-Tampa Bay Bucs : HC Schiano
Possible Successor : Brett Favre, Lovie Smith

- Detroit Lions : HC Jim Schwartz
Possible Successor : Brett Favre, Josh McDaniels

- Minnesota Vikings : HC Leslie Frasier
Possible Successor : Brett Favre, Mike Singletary

- Houston Texans : HC Gary Kubiak
Possible Successor: Brett Favre, Bill O'Brien, Lovie Smith, Ken Wisenhunt

- Cleveland Clownshoes : HC Rob Chudzinski
Possible Successor: Brett Favre, Josh McDaniels, Gary Kubiak, Norv Turner

brentech

Aaron Rodgers has a Schaub-esque arm based on that gif

I'll have to load it up on NFLReplay, but I'm pretty sure Rodgers was getting chased out of the pocket towards his left and throws the ball with some weird form since he has to buy time on 4th down.

He had a lot of balls sail on him (1 int because of it), which isn't something you normally see from him. So he definitely has that 8 week rust. He looked like he had good zip on the ball through the game though.

Miguel

I'll have to load it up on NFLReplay, but I'm pretty sure Rodgers was getting chased out of the pocket towards his left and throws the ball with some weird form since he has to buy time on 4th down.

He had a lot of balls sail on him (1 int because of it), which isn't something you normally see from him. So he definitely has that 8 week rust. He looked like he had good zip on the ball through the game though.

I didn't say based on the video that actually shows what happened. I said based on that GIF.

Aaron is a fraud.

h1nch

I don't get why there's so much interest in Adam Gase. I mean, I think he's a talented young OC and all, but this is his first year ever calling plays, and he has Peyton Manning as his QB.

Crisco

Banned
I don't get why there's so much interest in Adam Gase. I mean, I think he's a talented young OC and all, but this is his first year ever calling plays, and he has Peyton Manning as his QB.

Probably due to Mike McCoy's success in SD. Although McCoy managed to make Tebow into a serviceable NFL quarterback before Manning.

Talon

I would love to get Chud down here if Koetter gets play elsewhere, but I don't really see it.

Wouldn't be surprised about Rich McKay jumping back into personnel somewhere though. He's been acting as the President of the team and helping to get stadium deals done and such.

Smokey

Watt only? Hopkins, Brown, Swearinger, Mercilus, Cushing, TE from U Conn had a great end of the season.

After cutting schaub, OD, Smith and a couple overpaid backup o linemen they will be 20-25 millionunder the cap.

Add a patient owner, first class facilities and a #1 overall draft pick Houston is far and away the best spot. PERIOD.

Pretty much

You are GUARANTEED job security with the texans for years as well. That is a fact.

squicken

Pretty much

You are GUARANTEED job security with the texans as well. That is a fact.

Cap is bad for 2014. I don't think the talent is as good as you guys do, but definitely agree on ownership. Very patient. Rick Smith being charge might be an issue. Not very good at what he does and a coach will have to live with that

Yeah, offense is pretty much run by Manning unless he gets a little too risky trying to force things. It won't be a long turnaround before we hear Peyton's name in coaching calls.

Tenumi

Banned
Travis Lewis is supposedly going to go on a Twitter rant about Schwartz's firing.

Sad. I liked him. But the suspension plus this, means he's probably gone. Not like he was a huge contributor to the team anyway...

Smokey

Cap is bad for 2014. I don't think the talent is as good as you guys do, but definitely agree on ownership. Very patient. Rick Smith being charge might be an issue. Not very good at what he does and a coach will have to live with that

Cap is smith's fault. But how much of the other issues were a result of the kubiak and smith equal opportunity bs they had going on? We don't really know.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I don't see the 49ers beating Seattle in Seattle the way they are playing right now.

I'm saying this for like the 5th week in a row now but - THEIR RUNNING GAME IS CRAP WHEN THEY ARE IN A HEAVY FORMATION OR THE OPPONENT STACKS THE BOX. They couldn't run at all against a good run defense (Cardinals) and were merely average against the worst run defense (Atlanta). It is stupid pride that must lead them to think they can just enforce their will and run the ball. Gore and Hunter run well if the opposition is spread out, not if they are geared up for the run. The media is constantly getting this wrong by saying they need to just run more. Idiots.

The o-line also needs to protect better. Kaep is constantly running for his life and has maybe 1 second before the pocket collapses. That is unacceptable...hold the damn pocket for a couple seconds please.

Defense was pretty bad again. No pass rush, leaky secondary...unless they fix it and quickly Rodgers is going to pick it apart. Hell, any offense should be salivating at the opportunity just drop back and chuck it at this point. Where did the pass rush go? It seems like if one of the line-backers isn't blitzing they aren't putting any pressure on at all.

Doorman

I don't want Lovie Smith. Gimme Whisenhunt bros.

Fixing this offense/Stafford should be top priority. Our defense needs a better secondary but we have some young developing talent there; Slay really improved, and Bently could be decent. Delmas needs to go. Constantly late on plays, takes chances, and wreckless late tackler. Also we need another DT. Willie Young is a backup at best. Ziggy has promise, and hopefully Jason Jones returns healthy next year but I'd still like a new DT.

I think Mike Evans is great but I don't like first round WR picks. I'd rather go for a good CB or a LB that can get pressure on QBs. Not sure if there are any DTs wort taking at 10, so second or third round would make sense. I do think we need another WR - IMO Burelson will be gone, Broyles is one injury away from being out of the NFL, and the rest aren't #2 WR quality. Still, I don't trust Mayhew picking WRs. Young was a bust and Broyles probably is too. Both had character or injury issues that should have been red flags.

It shouldn't be hard to look decent opposite of Megatron. The problem is that Stafford can't make someone good, like Peyton/Brady or even Eli. Which is why I'd put more focus on fixing his mechanics than giving him another first round offensive toy to overthrow.

Bolded are things I definitely agree with 100%. The offense's inconsistencies and tendency for ridiculous amounts of turnovers doesn't entirely fall at Stafford's feet, but we got really good at stagnating for long stretches of games and his issues did nothing to try and wake the team up. The running backs are more than serviceable, we need a new center but the rest of the O-line is young and improving. The likes of Durham, Pettigrew, and Fauria make for nice big receiving targets, but none of them have the speed to really get away from defenders, and that's where the injuries and loss of Ryan Broyles has really hurt us. If we had a speedy slot guy that could slip coverages (provided Stafford wouldn't overthrow him 80% of the time) then it makes plays on the outside to the taller guys that much easier to complete.

As far as the draft goes, this will be the third year in a row that I put my personal focus into the same area: getting a good, playmaking linebacker. Tulloch is decent and Levy had a good year, but I still don't look at that unit group and feel like it solidifies a top-level front seven or even a mid-level back seven.

Top Bottom