• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

effzee

I don't understand what happened to Nnamdi Asomugha. He was statistically among the best CBs ever, and now he's out of football. What a crazy fall.

I don't think he cares enough. While his physical skills (mainly speed) have eroded, a guy who was all about football would have found other ways to compensate and play.

When it went downhill for him he just took it for what it is. But good for him if he isn't into it to retire at 32. Fuck I am 30. I wish I could retire in 2 years. Especially with Kerry Washington as a severance package.

Eagles OL is far from best. Lane has been a huge disappointment, and Todd and Jason have struggled some. You also fail to mention that they have had to play all 3 QBs this year. They have lost 3 games since week 4 and Barkley lost 2 of them. Saying they are the biggest frauds is crazy. They have so far out shot even the craziest possible expectations this year and they absolutely will have a chance to win a playoff game of they can get by Dallas. Not bad for a 4-12 team with a rookie HC a new defense and a backup QB.

Lane has been a huge disappointment? WTF?

He might not be lighting the league on fire but he is far from a disappointment. He isn't a liability, has improved every week, and I am still glad we took him at the spot we took him. He will only get better and maybe eventually move over to LT. Our running game is on fire (as long as Chip doesn't forget to use it). Lately only times I have really seen Foles take sacks is when he holds on to the ball forever. Otherwise no one is just abusing Lane or any of the OLINEMEN and getting to the QB like we were seeing last season.

My thoughts on Chip have evolved. He's a much better leader of men than I had given him credit for, he's a better in game coach than I thought, and he is far, far, far less innovative than anyone ever claimed. The only thing "new" he is doing is playing quickly, something that Belichick, McCarthy, Chud and other have been preaching for three years.

I think it's telling how moronic most football commentators are that they credit Chip with being this revolutionary offensive mind and ignore the brilliant evolution/revolution that has been the San Francisco running attack.

Only people who claimed Chip was some innovative genius about to bring something new were the same analysts who then claimed the Eagles were disappointing for not being innovative. Phil Simms named the team most disappointing offensive team because instead of scoring close to 30 they were supposed to score close to 50 or something. All according to the same analysts.

Chip himself has always said he adjusts to the players he has and runs a simple #s game based on what the defense lines up in.

Mrbob

In five years we will all be playing games on our Steamboxes. Heck, maybe two.

ibhzctyTLMwLAi.png

Amazing. Two NFC North teams playing and my early local broadcast is Carolina and Atlanta. Half of Wisconsin has this broadcast damn, kind of funny. Both games suck though so thank you red zone!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Nay. You can build a pc for half that and I guarantee it will run titanfall perfectly

Yup, I put this one together (parts bought through recommendations by friends) for just about $1000 and as far as I know haven't had issues running a single game on it yet. Had it for about 2 years now.

eznark

Banned
Only people who claimed Chip was some innovative genius about to bring something new were the same analysts who then claimed the Eagles were disappointing for not being innovative. Phil Simms named the team most disappointing offensive team because instead of scoring close to 30 they were supposed to score close to 50 or something. All according to the same analysts.

Chip himself has always said he adjusts to the players he has and runs a simple #s game based on what the defense lines up in.

Yeah, I'm impressed by his adaptability. My shitting on Chip was always more me shitting on fuckball dimwit ESPN/NFLN dumb fucks.

RBH

HOUSTON -- Upon further review, Denver quarterback Peyton Manning shouldn't have set the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season last week, Houston Texans interim coach Wade Phillips said Friday.

Phillips said the NFL informed the Texans that Broncos receiver Eric Decker's second touchdown catch from Manning on Sunday shouldn't have counted because Decker was juggling the ball.

Phillips acknowledged that the league's mea culpa wouldn't reverse Manning's record, but couldn't help but get a dig in before he left.

"Poor Manning," Phillips said. "He thought he broke the record."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-td-pass-disallowed-houston-texans-coach-says

hi-res-159011105_crop_north.jpg

squicken

2 back surgeries in the past year for Romo and he is 33. Deep draft for QBs. Dallas kind of needs to grab a young QB, don't they?

gutshot

My thoughts on Chip have evolved. He's a much better leader of men than I had given him credit for, he's a better in game coach than I thought, and he is far, far, far less innovative than anyone ever claimed. The only thing "new" he is doing is playing quickly, something that Belichick, McCarthy, Chud and other have been preaching for three years.

I think it's telling how moronic most football commentators are that they credit Chip with being this revolutionary offensive mind and ignore the brilliant evolution/revolution that has been the San Francisco running attack.

You're a grown man who lives with him mom and off of his dad. At least bionic has a family and a job and has gotten laid at least once that we know of.

His innovation is less in the structure of his offense and more in the way he runs his program. The up-tempo practices, the sports science stuff, the longer work week, etc. The Eagles are one of the healthiest teams in the league and all the veterans are saying they've never felt so good this late in the season. So I think there is something to that.

That being said, I think the biggest on-the-field innovation isn't the read-option stuff but his use of packaged plays. I know that other teams have similar plays in their playbook, but I don't think any of them run them as often as we do. The ability to have run/pass options on every play really stretches the defense and, with a QB who can make good decisions and can throw the ball accurately, makes your offense nearly unstoppable.

bionic77

Real gamers just get all the systems.
Only losers have time to play everything.

Even people who review games for a living don't have time to finish the games they are paid to "review".

In your defense I will say that if I was as dumb as you and was condemned to living in Florida with my mother I would also be buying and playing games on every system (being that it is Florida they would all probably be bought at Gamestop).

Only losers have time to play everything.

Even people who review games for a living don't have time to finish the games they are paid to "review".

In your defense I will say that if I was as dumb as you and was condemned to living in Florida with my mother I would also be buying and playing games on every system (being that it is Florida they would all probably be bought at Gamestop).
Working for yourself gives you a lot of free time. Also gives you the ability to do whatever you want

squicken

How prominent is this in the NFL? It's all over college, but aside from smoke passes, I don't see it too much on Sundays. I'm sure Buffalo is doing it, but I don't see many of their games and they haven't really been able to run their full offense most of the year

Is it really deep? I thought most were thinking or already came out and said they were staying in school

Just going by what the drafniks say, there is no sure thing in the draft. But there a lot of potential Cousins/Foles types, some with more potential than others. Draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and hope you get lucky, or at worst have a young, cheap backup that is competent

LJ11

I think it's telling how moronic most football commentators are that they credit Chip with being this revolutionary offensive mind and ignore the brilliant evolution/revolution that has been the San Francisco running attack..

Kelly has always been a run first guy, just used the QB to improve the numbers advantage. Staple run plays out of the gun. Give credit to the way he teaches WRs and OL to block, they do a great job. Besides the hash mark debate the biggest ? for me going into the year is where's he going to find a C to get out in front on some of these sweeps. Well he found him. Kelly was and is a run first guy, he just does it out of a formation that no one associates with power/run football.

Niners on the other hand do it out of traditional run heavy sets, you know it's coming and you still get popped because they block better than your guys shed, or they outleverage you with motion.

Auburn's another fascinating run team, you know it's coming but you can't stop it.

gutshot

How prominent is this in the NFL? It's all over college, but aside from smoke passes, I don't see it too much on Sundays. I'm sure Buffalo is doing it, but I don't see many of their games and they haven't really been able to run their full offense most of the year

It's not very common, but I guess ez finds my assertion funny because the Packers have been running some packaged plays for a couple years now. But my point wasn't that Chip introduced packaged plays to the league, just that he has built an entire offense around them, which is something that hadn't really been done before in the NFL.

eznark

Banned
Kelly has always been a run first guy, just used the QB to improve the numbers advantage. Staple run plays out of the gun. Give credit to the way he teaches WRs and OL to block, they do a great job. Besides the hash mark debate the biggest ? for me going into the year is where's he going to find a C to get out in front on some of these sweeps. Well he found him. Kelly was and is a run first guy, he just does it out of a formation that no one associates with power/run football.

Niners on the other hand do it out of traditional run heavy sets, you know it's coming and you still get popped because they block better than your guys shed, or they outleverage you with motion.

Auburn's another fascinating run team, you know it's coming but you can't stop it.

As a Badger fan I associate Kelly more with the run than the pass... Sigh

jakncoke

Banned

Just going by what the drafniks say, there is no sure thing in the draft. But there a lot of potential Cousins/Foles types, some with more potential than others. Draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and hope you get lucky, or at worst have a young, cheap backup that is competent

I thought this opinion was formed before a bunch decided to stay such as mariotta, and didnt bridgewater say he is possibly returning which would leave carr, bortles? and? i thought the stanford guy was staying or something and ucla guy maybe too or something. maybe im mixing up a bunch of stories but it seemed as each passing week the pool of blue chips got smaller.

Top Bottom