• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

squicken

I thought this opinion was formed before a bunch decided to stay such as mariotta, and didnt bridgewater say he is possibly returning which would leave carr, bortles? and? i thought the stanford guy was staying or something and ucla guy maybe too or something. maybe im mixing up a bunch of stories but it seemed as each passing week the pool of blue chips got smaller.

I see lots of conflicting info so far. Some have Carr and Bortles outsides the top 20, other have them in the top 10. But there are some lesser known guys who are thought to be intriguing 3rd day selections. I really have not done any serious info seeking b/c there's just too much unknown until the bowls are done and the underclassmen declare

It seems like if Mariotta came out, he would go ahead of Bridgewater. No idea on that Hundley guy. I think it was Parcells that said QB is the only position where QBs should stay in school as long as they can, since they now expected to play right away and fans and owners expect pretty immediate results

LJ11

How prominent is this in the NFL? It's all over college, but aside from smoke passes, I don't see it too much on Sundays. I'm sure Buffalo is doing it, but I don't see many of their games and they haven't really been able to run their full offense most of the year

Buffalo's been doing it, but not enough.

Remember when Romo would do that delayed handoff/slant combo, that's a packaged play and it's been around for what 5 years?

I guess the run/pass packaged plays, which are basically option football, is what's newer. You have QBs with two run options and a couple of pass options, but packaged plays in some form or another have been around.

squicken

Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
Asked Matthew Stafford why he wouldn't want to work with a QB guru. Response: "It's not my thing."

Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
Stafford on working with a QB guru: "It’s not something that I feel would be my style or beneficial to me."

Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
I asked Stafford if he had at least looked into the QB guru thing before deciding it wasn't for him. Response: "I have not."

smh Both Brady and Manning work with or used to work with long time QB coaches. I know the guy Brady worked with passed away a couple of years ago, so idk what he does now

Remember when Romo would do that delayed handoff/slant combo, that's a packaged play and it's been around for what 5 years?

I guess the run/pass packaged plays, which are basically option football, is what's newer. You have QBs with two run options and a couple of pass options, but packaged plays in some form or another have been around.

I didn't know the delayed draw thing was part of it, but I was aware of the "WR runs a slant and QB can throw it if he wants". But I guess by packaged plays I was referring to your second example that Philly has ued this year

effzee

So listening to a lot of the NY sports radio and its all about Rex right now.

How does this guy not get fired? I feel like he has maxed out and maxed out his players too.

He only knows defense. He doesn't know how to draft, develop, or run any part of the offense.

We now know that the first GM, Tannebaum, was more of an accountant and Rex had tons of input in drafting and selecting players. He took Sanchez. He was the one who wanted guys like Holmes and Edwards. They developed no guys internally. Sanchez went from decent as a rookie to god awful.

He also once asked Sanchez to throw a pass to Plaxico to not hurt Burress's feelings. On that play Sanchez took a massive hit and hurt his shoulder. He put Sanchez in the 4th quarter of this past pre season which led to his injury. Its amateur hour with Rex at the helm.

Yeah can he coach D? Of course? Is he likeable? Yeah. Fans get behind him and his players love him but where are the results? If he had no say in picking the talent I would say you keep him and give him weapons on offense. But he did have say.

In fact I think Squicken posted an article earlier this season which stated that Rex took a player with the last pick 2-3 drafts ago just because Sanchez wanted that player. The scouting department wasn't sold on him and were completely blindsided by Rex picking him.

The only reason he even stayed this current season is because Woody didn't want to pay him for this last year and still pay a new coach. Same reason he kept Sanchez on the team. It was only about the cap situation.

Get rid of Rex and Sanchez. Hire an effective offensive minded assistant or coach and draft for the offense for once.

bionic77

Working for yourself gives you a lot of free time. Also gives you the ability to do whatever you want
I know you have to tell the chicks something, but getting $100 of your mothers SSD check for taking out the trash and cleaning your room is not technically working for yourself. Nor is selling her Oxy to the methheads down the street for a few bucks.

Also the people who really work for themselves never have time for anything.

LJ11

I'm glad Thad Lewis is starting on Sunday, good guy and I hope he sticks around. Sick of watching cowards who won't attack downfield and he certainly does. He may be a bad/below average QB, but at least he has balls and some brains. Caught Miami off guard repeatedly by changing the play at the line, especially run plays.

Doomsayer

smh Both Brady and Manning work with or used to work with long time QB coaches. I know the guy Brady worked with passed away a couple of years ago, so idk what he does now

"Learning more about the position I play and the fundamentals involved would totally not be beneficial to me in any way."

Clownshoes.

I know you have to tell the chicks something, but getting $100 of your mothers SSD check for taking out the trash and cleaning your room is not technically working for yourself. Nor is selling her Oxy to the methheads down the street for a few bucks.

Also the people who really work for themselves never have time for anything.
Yeah atleast I can pick out my own bag.

Konka

Banned
images

bionic77

Yeah atleast I can pick out my own bag.
When the only thing you have to choose between is the plastic bag from Walmart or Gamestop when deciding on which bag is the best one to carry your Oxy and meth, then its not really the type of thing I would be proud of.

But hey maybe thats just me.

Draxal

So listening to a lot of the NY sports radio and its all about Rex right now.

How does this guy not get fired? I feel like he has maxed out and maxed out his players too.

He only knows defense. He doesn't know how to draft, develop, or run any part of the offense.

We now know that the first GM, Tannebaum, was more of an accountant and Rex had tons of input in drafting and selecting players. He took Sanchez. He was the one who wanted guys like Holmes and Edwards. They developed no guys internally. Sanchez went from decent as a rookie to god awful.

He also once asked Sanchez to throw a pass to Plaxico to not hurt Burress's feelings. On that play Sanchez took a massive hit and hurt his shoulder. He put Sanchez in the 4th quarter of this past pre season which led to his injury. Its amateur hour with Rex at the helm.

Yeah can he coach D? Of course? Is he likeable? Yeah. Fans get behind him and his players love him but where are the results? If he had no say in picking the talent I would say you keep him and give him weapons on offense. But he did have say.

In fact I think Squicken posted an article earlier this season which stated that Rex took a player with the last pick 2-3 drafts ago just because Sanchez wanted that player. The scouting department wasn't sold on him and were completely blindsided by Rex picking him.

The only reason he even stayed this current season is because Woody didn't want to pay him for this last year and still pay a new coach. Same reason he kept Sanchez on the team. It was only about the cap situation.

Get rid of Rex and Sanchez. Hire an effective offensive minded assistant or coach and draft for the offense for once.

They have no talent on O, and the one area of the team that has talent he has done a masterful job of developing players (Sheldon Richardson/Wilkerson).

It's like you said keep him out of the front office and have a GM do the talent evaluation.

squicken

They have no talent on O, and the one area of the team that has talent he has done a masterful job of developing players (Sheldon Richardson/Wilkerson).

It's like you said keep him out of the front office and have a GM do the talent evaluation.

It's more than that. All those anecdotes are from the book I have been recommending here, and I guess the NY media had their interns read it over the holidays. Rex conducts his practices so that his talented and well coached defense dominates the offense. He is, at his core, antagonistic towards offense. He just doesn't understand that side of the ball to such a comical degree that he isn't fit to be a head coach

eznark

Banned

They aren't as prominent in the NFL because coaches expect quarterbacks to be able to adjust and audible on the fly, the package play is simply audibling for dummies in most instances and has been around forever. It's no different than smokes, hots and any other line adjustment. The difference for Kelly is that he tries to build them into everything as part of his tempo game. Audibling takes longer and requires more QB intelligence.

Personally I wish they'd remove the helmet radio. Make quarterbacks actually quarterback.

Interesting story (that has nothing to do with football) - I was at Gamestop yesterday selling off Battlefield 4 and a mother was there with her 9-10 year old son who was trading in some of his games. The game he was buying? Grand Theft Auto V. She was perfectly ok with that and even asked him if he was sure that was the game he wanted. He jumped up and down saying "Definitely! I've wanted Grand Theft since it came out!"

Now, I'm far from a prude about this stuff. My 7 year old enjoys watching horror movies and I generally am ok with it as long as it's not overly violent stuff but damn. A 9 year old playing GTAV? I was sort of taken back by that.

I didn't know the delayed draw thing was part of it, but I was aware of the "WR runs a slant and QB can throw it if he wants". But I guess by packaged plays I was referring to your second example that Philly has ued this year

I remember seeing an article linked by Chris Brown (of smart football) that went a lot into the packaged play stuff LJ is mentioning after Romo threw an INT a few weeks back. It was pretty fascinating to see that the idea has been in the NFL for awhile and the biggest twist lately is that some teams can now also throw in QB runs off of it.

Quick edit, this was the article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-plays-and-the-newest-form-of-option-football

eznark

Banned
I remember seeing an article linked by Chris Brown (of smart football) that went a lot into the packaged play stuff LJ is mentioning after Romo threw an INT a few weeks back. It was pretty fascinating to see that the idea has been in the NFL for awhile and the biggest twist lately is that some teams can now also throw in QB runs off of it.

He is the best!

bionic77

Personally I wish they'd remove the helmet radio. Make quarterbacks actually quarterback.
Such a huge advantage when you have a non-retarded qb calling the offense. You would think the coach would be able to call a better play with all the camera angles they have access to, but somehow the good qb's still have a much better feel for what the defense is going to do.

Of course it requires a non-retarded qb. And also one that is not a selfish git who is going to call 8 step drops and go routes on every down. But if you have one of those that is the way to go if the coach is ok with giving up some control.

gutshot

They aren't as prominent in the NFL because coaches expect quarterbacks to be able to adjust and audible on the fly, the package play is simply audibling for dummies in most instances and has been around forever. It's no different than smokes, hots and any other line adjustment. The difference for Kelly is that he tries to build them into everything as part of his tempo game. Audibling takes longer and requires more QB intelligence.

Audibling is a pre-snap adjustment, whereas packaged plays are predicated on post-snap reads. Post-snap reads are always going to be more indicative of what the defense is actually doing than pre-snap reads. That's why packaged plays are so effective, provided you have a QB that can make quick decisions.

effzee

It's more than that. All those anecdotes are from the book I have been recommending here, and I guess the NY media had their interns read it over the holidays. Rex conducts his practices so that his talented and well coached defense dominates the offense. He is, at his core, antagonistic towards offense. He just doesn't understand that side of the ball to such a comical degree that he isn't fit to be a head coach

That plus no matter which side of the ball you prefer or are an expert at, when you are the HC you are the coach of the whole team. Even if they remove him from the draft room and Idzik does all the picking of the players, they still need a head coach who is present for both sides.

Doomsayer

Interesting story (that has nothing to do with football) - I was at Gamestop yesterday selling off Battlefield 4 and a mother was there with her 9-10 year old son who was trading in some of his game. The game he was buying? Grand Theft Auto V. She was perfectly ok with that and even asked him if he was sure that was the game he wanted. He jumped up and down saying "Definitely! I've wanted Grand Theft since it came out!"

Now, I'm far from a prude about this stuff. My 7 year old enjoys watching horror movies and I generally am ok with it as long as it's not overly violent stuff but damn. A 9 year old playing GTAV? I was sort of taken back by that.

Funny you bring this up. I went to my Grandmas for Christmas and my 7 year old cousin was playing GTAV while my Grandma was watching in horror.

I thought she was going to have a heart attack. His parents are deadbeats, but I mean come the fuck on...

The helmet radio makes me wonder why goobers like Stafford and Flynn can't manage to keep a fucking play clock straight.

The only thing I can think of is that Flynn is so consumed with repressing memories of Cajun showing him anime back in his LSU days, he can't think straight.

bionic77

The helmet radio makes me wonder why goobers like Stafford and Flynn can't manage to keep a fucking play clock straight.

The only thing I can think of is that Flynn is so consumed with repressing memories of Cajun showing him anime back in his LSU days, he can't think straight.
To be fair it is probably easier to keep that shit straight when you are calling the plays yourself instead of waiting for some fat dude sitting in a box to call it out to you.

Interesting story (that has nothing to do with football) - I was at Gamestop yesterday selling off Battlefield 4 and a mother was there with her 9-10 year old son who was trading in some of his games. The game he was buying? Grand Theft Auto V. She was perfectly ok with that and even asked him if he was sure that was the game he wanted. He jumped up and down saying "Definitely! I've wanted Grand Theft since it came out!"

A lot of parents are pussies who can't say no and are ok with the television, the playstation, and the iPad babysitting their kids.

This is probably why my kids will hate me when they are older. I restrict everything and try to either get them to learn or play as often as possible. Hopefully this will keep them off the pole and from turning out as badly as Gata.

eznark

Banned
Audibling is a pre-snap adjustment, whereas packaged plays are predicated on post-snap reads. Post-snap reads are always going to be more indicative of what the defense is actually doing than pre-snap reads. That's why packaged plays are so effective, provided you have a QB that can make quick decisions.

Nah, that's not true. Plenty of plays call for the decision to be made based on previous snap reads, defensive reaction to motion and personnel shifts. It's very rare a run play is adjusted to a pass play post snap unless it's out of a read option look, in which case it's just an option play and slightly different than the packaged plays being discussed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
squicken said:
Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
Asked Matthew Stafford why he wouldn't want to work with a QB guru. Response: "It's not my thing."

Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
Stafford on working with a QB guru: "It’s not something that I feel would be my style or beneficial to me."

Kyle Meinke ‏@kmeinke
I asked Stafford if he had at least looked into the QB guru thing before deciding it wasn't for him. Response: "I have not."

I really, really hate this franchise.

This is where Mayhew HAS to step in. You're being paid $60 million. You HAVE to work with who we say you're going to work with. Sorry, douchebag.

Tom Penny said:
All a QB coach can do is teach mechanics which isn't really important. They can't read a defense for you.

Have you seen Stafford throw? He looks like a MLB submarine pitcher at times.

Top Bottom