• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

eznark

Banned
I really, really hate this franchise.

This is where Mayhew HAS to step in. You're being paid $60 million. You HAVE to work with who we say you're going to work with. Sorry, douchebag.

Have you seen Stafford throw? He looks like a MLB submarine pitcher at times.

He not busy being born is busy dying. Greats are always trying to get better. Fat slobs rest on their laurels.

LJ11

This is where Mayhew HAS to step in. You're being paid $60 million. You HAVE to work with who we say you're going to work with. Sorry, douchebag.

Honestly though, would it do him any good if he isn't open minded about the whole thing? Even if he's forced to do it, he'll get nothing out of it if he isn't willing to listen.

Edit: Trey, you're probably right.

Draxal

It's more than that. All those anecdotes are from the book I have been recommending here, and I guess the NY media had their interns read it over the holidays. Rex conducts his practices so that his talented and well coached defense dominates the offense. He is, at his core, antagonistic towards offense. He just doesn't understand that side of the ball to such a comical degree that he isn't fit to be a head coach

The NY media is very much in favor of keeping Rex Ryan (specifically all the Jets fans amongst the Fan's radio shosts), so I'm not sure if they have read the book. You also have to remember, the Jets are very much the little brother in this area and all the players (including offensive) love him. He would be a very hard guy to fire, because as Carl Banks was saying on the radio today ... have him go to a team like the Lions and watch that defense destroy people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly though, would it do him any good if he isn't open minded about the whole thing? Even if he's forced to do it, he'll get nothing out of it if he's willing to listen.

Don't care. If I'm the GM, it's a CYA maneuver. The fact that Schwartz/Mayhew haven't ordered this yet is mind-boggling.

images

Who's the meth head?

JCizzle

The helmet radio makes me wonder why goobers like Stafford and Flynn can't manage to keep a fucking play clock straight.

The only thing I can think of is that Flynn is so consumed with repressing memories of Cajun showing him anime back in his LSU days, he can't think straight.

? How do you mean? The radio cuts off with like 14 seconds left on the play clock. If they're like CK, it's probably a combination of being retarded and having the OC take too long to get the calls in.

"Learning more about the position I play and the fundamentals involved would totally not be beneficial to me in any way."

Clownshoes.

:jnc

That's your QB, kas. Can't recognize that having an experienced QB coach would improve his mechanics and make him a better QB. He probably says "I threw for 10k yards in 2 seasons! Why would I need someone to tutor me!?!?"

Dumbass. Everyone can learn.

gutshot

Nah, that's not true. Plenty of plays call for the decision to be made based on previous snap reads, defensive reaction to motion and personnel shifts. It's very rare a run play is adjusted to a pass play post snap unless it's out of a read option look, in which case it's just an option play and slightly different than the packaged plays being discussed.

Maybe we have different definitions of a packaged play then. I'm talking primarily about a read-option play that has pass options (bubble screen, pop pass, etc.) built-in. Those plays are what Chris Brown and others are commonly referring to as "packaged plays".

More details on the Bears MEGATON announcement from this afternoon:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 2m

Bears signed K Robbie Gould to a four-year, $15m deal that includes over $9 million in guaranteed money. It richest deal given to a kicker.

He wants to keep his shitty sidearm throw just like he wants to keep raiding Chipotle during the regular season.

It's the "have it your way" generation.

Ugh. Fuck these millennials. They disgust me.

In my day we went to Russia to train in the wilderness to defeat communism and then fuck communism's girlfriend.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted yet?

PFF Pro Bowl Team 2014

Inside Linebacker: NaVorro Bowman (SF) and Patrick Willis (SF)

Backups: Derrick Johnson (KC) and Karlos Dansby (ARZ)

The big controversy. Have we forgot about Luke Kuechly? Not so and while the world likes to pin the success of a unit on one player, the truth is the Panthers’ defense is more about the collective than any one individual. So while Kuechly has played well, we’re not going to let the hype do the 49ers duo, the excellent Johnson and the criminally underrated Dansby out of a spot. Kuechly, Kiko Alonso, Sean Lee and Stephen Tulloch were all considered for the final spot, but the playmaking of Dansby (he leads his position with eight sacks and 10 pass break ups) made our minds up for us.

cdyhybrid

:jnc

That's your QB, kas. Can't recognize that having an experienced QB coach would improve his mechanics and make him a better QB. He probably says "I threw for 10k yards in 2 seasons! Why would I need someone to tutor me!?!?"

Dumbass. Everyone can learn.

Kas is enabling Stafford's laziness.

He wants to keep his shitty sidearm throw just like he wants to keep raiding Chipotle during the regular season.

It's the "have it your way" generation.

Ugh. Fuck these millennials. They disgust me.

In my day we went to Russia to train in the wilderness to defeat communism and then fuck communism's girlfriend.

To Rocky music?

Dansby playing lights out... Meanwhile in Miami:

Ellerbe is the 53rd-ranked middle/inside linebacker overall in the NFL according to ProFootballFocus.com which is almost as bad as one can get because there are only 55 players rated. And he's worse against the run. Ellerbe is rated 54th out of 55 against the run.

He has two tackles for loss the entire season. Last year Dansby had nine tackles for loss. He had 100 solo tackles or 42 more than Ellerbe currently has.

Wheeler is rated No. 33 out of 34 outside linebackers against the run by ProFootballFocus.com. Overall, he's dead last.

Meanwhile, the NFL's No. 2 rated outside linebacker against the run?

Kevin Burnett, the player Wheeler replaced. Burnett is rated No. 11 overall by ProFootballFocus.com.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...y-reasons-miami-dolphins-run-d-struggles.html

nfl_u_ireland_ah_200.jpg

eznark

Banned
Maybe we have different definitions of a packaged play then. I'm talking primarily about a read-option play that has pass options (bubble screen, pop pass, etc.) built-in. Those plays are what Chris Brown and others are commonly referring to as "packaged plays".

Generally I see most people refer to those as option plays. A package play is a term usually used to refer to traditional plays packaged together on one down. A popular one that every offense has is off tackle run with a slant route over the top (the Romo). So our call in high school was 26 z slant Y go, then I decide what to do based on the defense.

Something cool McCarthy and Rodgers have really made popular is packaged passes. They'll run routes behind screens, and it's one of the go to ways to get their tight ends the ball. The nuance there is that by calling both its telling the linemen to stay home a bit longer. It's cool stuff when it works.

squicken

He not busy being born is busy dying. Greats are always trying to get better. Fat slobs rest on their laurels.

This is it, sadly. He just isn't interested in doing the extra work to be great. A broader point is why did Mayhew pay him like a great QB? I've always thought Detroit needed a total house cleaning, not just Schwartz

simples

Banned
Something cool McCarthy and Rodgers have really made popular is packaged passes. They'll run routes behind screens, and it's one of the go to ways to get their tight ends the ball. The nuance there is that by calling both its telling the linemen to stay home a bit longer. It's cool stuff when it works.

only an android using sconny would think some reject qb and mccathywhoeverthefuck "made that popular" when josh McD has been calling more complete versions of that since 07. and if you want to see an evolved version of screen packages where it actually works go check out the Gronk-Hernandez days from 2010

but you were too busy crying about losing favre in 07 and after that continuously praying for glass jaw to stay healthy to notice what advanced coaching was doing around the league.

Miami's goal for next season is to:

-Draft (or FA) an OL and DL
-Draft (or FA) RB
What's wrong with the DL? They'll keep Soliai or Starks who are both great at their jobs of stopping the run along with Odrick, and they've got plenty of depth at DE between Wake, Vernon, Shelby, and Jordan.

Biggest needs:

1. LT
2. RT
3. LG
4. RG
5. MLB
6. OLB

RB is pointless until the OL is addressed, and I think Miller would be fine behind a decent o-line. Plus there's Gilislee who is still an unknown.

LJ11

Over what time span , I imagine everyone has shitty records when not forcing a turnover

Marrone didn't specify, guessing it's BB era.

Would love to see more numbers. Bills have literally given games away to the Pats over this long dominating period, we just hand them the ball. Think that's his message to the players.

Wes

venison crêpe
No one is talking about the Browns making a head-coaching change, but if they do it won't surprise some people around the league. The reason is not that Rob Chudzinski has done a poor job, though. It's that the Browns didn't get who they wanted a year ago. The new Browns management team went after Chip Kelly, Jon Gruden and Nick Saban last offseason and might be inclined to make another pitch for a big name. The management team thought the Browns could be a .500 team this season after going 5-11 in 2012. If the Browns lose in Pittsburgh on Sunday, they'll finish 4-12. Another interesting point: Money is not an issue to team owner Jimmy Haslam, so having to pay off the last three years of Chudzinski's contract probably would not deter him from making a move.

Oooooh

Tom Penny

Marrone didn't specify, guessing it's BB era.

Would love to see more numbers. Bills have literally given games away to the Pats over this long dominating period, we just hand them the ball. Think that's his message to the players.

Well there isn't a bigger correaltion in wins and losses than turnovers so if a coach isn't preaching that he should immediately be fired.

bionic77

Remember when adults played quarterback and the linemen received Rolex's? Fucking children.
Xbone and purses are the new Rolex.

As with everything I blame the Pats. But I will be damned if my son grows up to wear Uggs like the rest of these pussies (real term for metrosexual).

Are any of you walking genetic abnormalities interested in buying any of the following off of me:

- $50 iTunes gift card
- Apple TV
- Apple HDMI cable

I want to return this garbage to the store but would rather get cold hard cash. Apple store credit don't buy no Lime-A-Ritas.

WedgeX

Banned

Motherfucker.

I liked stafford previously. What kind of arrogant bastard do you have to be to say something as fuckwitted as that? Fucking hell. Too ba Alex karras passed away this year, I'd ask him to mongo smash stafford until he'd get his head out of his ass.

cdyhybrid

Are any of you walking genetic abnormalities interested in buying any of the following off of me:

- $50 iTunes gift card
- Apple TV
- Apple HDMI cable

I want to return this garbage to the store but would rather get cold hard cash. Apple store credit don't buy no Lime-A-Ritas.

I think you're the only hipster that posts here, Bucket. Might want to try posting in one of the music threads instead.

that's hilarious. "we're bringing in someone to help you out so you continue to throw 3-4 int's per game because of poor fucking mechanincs"

stafford: nah son i'm good

as for not teaching someone to read a defense, that is true. fixing mechanics won't fix the reading of a defense. but not all of staffords interceptions come because of poor reads. i have only seen maybe 3-4 lions games this year, but there were multiple game killing ints that came because his mechanics were awful even though the read was good. when you have fundamentally sound mechanics you will cut down on your turnovers, not eliminate them

Top Bottom