• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure what to think going into the Falcons game, I'm interested in hearing some thoughts from Falcons-GAF.

The first major concern is obviously the Falcons passing attack. If Will Davis and/or Dmitri Patterson don't return to the lineup for this game Jimmy Wilson and Nolan Carroll will again get extended playing time, which is downright terrifying considering the Falcons WR corps (probably the best in the league, in my opinion). Gonzalez is of course a factor as always, and Jackson out of the backfield will be a concern as well, especially since Ellerbee has not looked great in coverage this season.

From what I've seen it looks like the Falcons offensive tackles have been struggling, so hopefully that pattern continues and Matt Ryan finds himself on his back quite a few times during the game (screw Matt Ryan, by the way). I'm looking for Jordan to be involved more in this game than the first two and it'd also be nice to see Wake rack up a few more sacks.

In terms of rushing I think Jackson will have a pretty good game against Miami's D. After two games I'm starting to feel that while Ellerbee and Wheeler are an upgrade at LB overall they are not quite as good as Dansby and Burnett at stopping the run, as they tend to chase down tackles as opposed to stopping plays at the point of attack. Regardless, I can't see this being a huge factor either way, as Atlanta's passing attack is really the major concern.

On the other side of the ball it's mostly going to come down to whether or not Tannehill can get time to pass. I like how the Dolphins WR's and TE's match up against Atlanta's secondary (which seems to be struggling somewhat if the numbers are any indication) but if the pass protection doesn't improve it won't really matter. If Tannehill plays as sharp as he has the first two weeks and he gets time to pass he could put up some monster numbers.

I have no idea what to expect from Miami's running game as they've been very inconsistent and I also don't know how good Atlanta has been at stopping the run. I don't expect this to be much of a factor either way, though.

I'm looking forward to the game but I don't have high hopes. I think this is the week the Dolphins come back down to reality a bit so I'll predict Falcons by 10 or so.

Best OT ever.

THU, SEP 19
Kansas City at Philadelphia

SUN, SEP 22
Green Bay at Cincinnati
St. Louis at Dallas
San Diego at Tennessee
Cleveland at Minnesota
Tampa Bay at New England
Arizona at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
NY Giants at Carolina
Houston at Baltimore
Atlanta at Miami
Buffalo at NY Jets
Indianapolis at San Francisco
Jacksonville at Seattle
Chicago at Pittsburgh

MON, SEP 23
Oakland at Denver

Holy shit where do I begin? First the Bengals.

Bengals called a great game on offense. Tons of 3 WR sets to force the nickel coverage only to run right at them. Law Firm had a feast on the ground. Yesterday also showed why Foote was the starter for so long - sure he doesn't have the body but he has the smarts meaning he knows where to be. Kion Wilson and Vince Williams had awful games - Wilson being the guy who gave up the TD on the screen to Bernard.

This team isn't to be feared. I thought so before the game and despite losing I still do. Dalton won't take them anywhere. Ike took away AJ Green and Dalton was lost, He's another Stafford - throws to a WR with a massive catch radius. Jay Gruden won that game for them.

As for the defense - the beast Geno Atkins was a ghost for the second game just like the first. Burfict disappeared as well. I said this last night too but Harrison is finished. He's still powerful, but completely lacks the speed to be a difference maker anymore.

Now for the fun part..

Steelers are a mess. No running game, no tight ends, no reason for defenses not to blanket the receivers or pin their ears back and slam into Ben.

Ben sucks too. Something I read this morning:

Steelers Depot said:
Ben Roethlisberger threw 9 passes 20 or more yards down the field and completed just one of them.

To take the distance theme even further, Roethlisberger threw 13 passes 17 or more yards down the field and completed just three of them.

Congrats Ben. You've traded short completions for long incompletions. Wonderful. I don't buy this being a Haley problem anymore because before the season Ben was very proud of telling people that he went over the whole offense with Haley and took out the shit he didn't like. Behold the fruits of that labor.

Paulson sucks. Can't block without getting slammed to the ground, can't hold onto the football.

Redman sucks. Slow as an ox - he's even slower than he was last season.

I'm just rambling now because there's so much wrong with this team I can't focus on anything. Get well soon Heath.

eznark

Banned
Capers blited with 6 (or more) more on Sunday more often than he has ever done as a Packer coach. Almost 26% of the plays Capers brought at least 6. That's a HUGE fuck you to Robert Griffin and a massive red flag if I am Shanny.

Bowser

Week 3 Schedule

THU, SEP 19

SUN, SEP 22
Green Bay at Cincinnati
St. Louis at Dallas
San Diego at Tennessee
Cleveland at Minnesota
Tampa Bay at New England
Arizona at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
NY Giants at Carolina
Houston at Baltimore
Atlanta at Miami
Buffalo at NY Jets
Jacksonville at Seattle
Chicago at Pittsburgh

MON, SEP 23
Oakland at Denver

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's the GM doing in Pittsburgh? Seems like Omar Epps started with talent but it's been fading for the past several years.

Capers blited with 6 (or more) more on Sunday more often than he has ever done as a Packer coach. Almost 26% of the plays Capers brought at least 6. That's a HUGE fuck you to Robert Griffin and a massive red flag if I am Shanny.

You assume Shanahan gives a shit.

LevelNth

Banned
I noticed that albeit in a small amount during Redzone. The Eagles drew up the blueprint in Week 1, and Capers took it to a new level and it worked flawlessly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it, essentially, even more than 26% of the time if you're only taking the first half into account? By that I mean didn't the Pack lay back in the second half more and go into garbage time D, and blitz less often then?

THU, SEP 19

SUN, SEP 22
Green Bay at Cincinnati
St. Louis at Dallas
San Diego at Tennessee
Cleveland at Minnesota
Tampa Bay at New England
Arizona at New Orleans
Detroit at Washington
NY Giants at Carolina
Houston at Baltimore
Atlanta at Miami
Buffalo at NY Jets
Jacksonville at Seattle
Chicago at Pittsburgh

MON, SEP 23
Oakland at Denver

You think he doesn't care about winning?

If he truly did, he'd be starting Cousins.

Also, any takers for a week long avatar bet Dolphins fans?

Eifert and Gresham against our safeties? Ugh
Hard to see the crossing route with Matthews in your butt. That's giving Dalton the benefit of the doubt.

I'd go post/slant all day, if I were attacking the D, though. Underbelly is so soft.

He was scrambling right, threw across his body, and Shields broke it up.

It was a solid play by Shields but he never should have made it. RG3 had next to no power and stability in that leg.

Tape don't lie.

eznark

Banned
I had a long post about why Capers will probably play two deep safeties leaving them open to tight ends but it got eaten.
It was brilliant work.

He doesn't care about RGIII, so in a way, yes.

This makes no sense. The reason he rushed RGIII onto the field is because he was desperate to win. My point was that teams have essentially zero respect for Griffin right now and that should be a red flag that you can't win with such a shitty QB.

This makes no sense. The reason he rushed RGIII onto the field is because he was desperate to win. My point was that teams have essentially zero respect for Griffin right now and that should be a red flag that you can't win with such a shitty QB.

RGIII is shitty because he wasn't ready to come back, yet Shanahan trotted him out there anyway. The end result is predictable.

xnipx

The old RG3 would make u pay for blitzing him with that many people and scramble for a good chunk of yards

Also fuck the texans. Y'all gon get this work. Ed Reed is a sleeper cell.

Talon

On the other side of the ball it's mostly going to come down to whether or not Tannehill can get time to pass. I like how the Dolphins WR's and TE's match up against Atlanta's secondary (which seems to be struggling somewhat if the numbers are any indication) but if the pass protection doesn't improve it won't really matter. If Tannehill plays as sharp as he has the first two weeks and he gets time to pass he could put up some monster numbers.
Bradford looks like he had a big day until you realize he had 55 passing attempts.

I've been pretty happy with the corners, actually. Asante has played all of 10 snaps through two games, and the rookies have held up really well. McClain had a rough go of it last week, according to story. Decoud has had a rough two games, which is surprising, considering how consistent he was the last two seasons. Moore has been a baller, though.

It comes down to generating pressure. I'm actually excited to see Massquoi get more playing time with Biermann out of the picture. Osi is probably excited to see Jonathan Martin this weekend.

I am concerned with Holmes facing off against Wake when he lines up on the left side of the defensive line.

I expect a one score game, honestly.

The old RG3 would make u pay for blitzing him with that many people and scramble for a good chunk of yards
That's the thing. Teams are going to make RGIII prove he can use that knee. Shanahan knows he can't. Why put him out there?

He's even still running the read option when everyone knows Griffin ain't running it. Terrible coaching.

OnPoint

EJ VS Geno.

This is the week 3 rookie QB showdown I've been waiting for.

Will Super Mario add to his gutsy week 2 performance?

Can Rex Ryan expolit a depleted Bills secondary?

Will someone get me some damn wings?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I think Dutch's NFL thread making privileges should be revoked. This shit is embarrassing.

That game last night was so strange, watching the Bengals out Steeler the Steelers. That one rushing touchdown the Bengals RB ran over and or pushed several Steelers into the endzone from like 5 yards out.

Neither QB was accurate at all down the field, saw a lot of throws 5 yards out of bounds.

I hope the Eagles are calling the Bills nonstop now about Bryd. I cant imagine there is a team with a position more dire then Eagles safety. The CBs have actually not been completely terrible but the Safeties cant cover anyone and when they try to come up and hit a receiver they totally miss the tackle. Nate Allen has been worse this year then even last year, and he was terrible last year. Eagles have to get new safeties some how. They tried the rookie Wolfe on Sunday but he cant cover at all. Every time Gates was matched up against him he got wide open. Chung cant cover at all either. I bet a 1 legged Kenny Phillips would do a better job then what they are putting out there now.

Bradford looks like he had a big day until you realize he had 55 passing attempts.

I've been pretty happy with the corners, actually. Asante has played all of 10 snaps through two games, and the rookies have held up really well. McClain had a rough go of it last week, according to story. Decoud has had a rough two games, which is surprising, considering how consistent he was the last two seasons. Moore has been a baller, though.

It comes down to generating pressure. I'm actually excited to see Massquoi get more playing time with Biermann out of the picture. Osi is probably excited to see Jonathan Martin this weekend.

I am concerned with Holmes facing off against Wake when he lines up on the left side of the defensive line.

Just watched the entirety of the Falcons-Rams game. I agree with you on the Falcons secondary, it wasn't as bad as I expected from looking at the box score beforehand.

Jonathan Martin hasn't been bad, actually. Didn't give up a single sack last game. The biggest problem is the right side of the line, John Jerry and (incoming Talon chuckle) Tyson Clabo.

Honestly I'm worried that the Dolphins pass rush won't even be a huge factor after watching that Rams game. Ryan tends to release the ball so quickly and it's amazing how fast his receivers get through their routes (like the play where Julio runs a streak from the slot). Not only that, I saw a ton of WR screens and quick dump offs to Jackson. Quite frankly the Atlanta offense terrifies me, so many weapons and the only thing that seems to stop them is penalties or unforced errors. Good luck, Grimes and co.

On the topic of the Rams, does anyone throw more quick slants than Sam Bradford? My goodness. Rams O was difficult to watch for the entirety of the first half, and that Richardson drop that turned into a TD the other way was just painful. Can't imagine how that felt to a Rams fan after the way the game had gone up to that point.

OnPoint

I hope the Eagles are calling the Bills nonstop now about Bryd. I cant imagine there is a team with a position more dire then Eagles safety. The CBs have actually not been completely terrible but the Safeties cant cover anyone and when they try to come up and hit a receiver they totally miss the tackle. Nate Allen has been worse this year then even last year, and he was terrible last year. Eagles have to get new safeties some how. They tried the rookie Wolfe on Sunday but he cant cover at all. Every time Gates was matched up against him he got wide open. Chung cant cover at all either. I bet a 1 legged Kenny Phillips would do a better job then what they are putting out there now.
Byrd is amazing but I hope they can get a good return.

Couple of other things:

Worilds is useless on the Right, but he's serviceable on the Left. I actually mistook him for Woodley on a pressure to Dalton on the left side.

Steelers are getting pressure again. Nice to see. Hopefully it will turn into sacks and turnovers down the road.

AJ Green's stat line - 6 catches for 41 yards, 14 targets.

Clark has one foot out the door already. Golden needs to get up to speed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I kinda hope Hoyer gets the start. I was more impressed with him in preseason from what I saw.

We'll also see how well this run defense is against the best in the game. I know I'll be shit on for being optimistic but with Christian Ponder QBing I feel we may have a good shot at winning this if we keep AP out of the endzone.

harSon

Banned
Ben sucks too. Something I read this morning:

Congrats Ben. You've traded short completions for long incompletions. Wonderful. I don't buy this being a Haley problem anymore because before the season Ben was very proud of telling people that he went over the whole offense with Haley and took out the shit he didn't like. Behold the fruits of that labor.

Lmao.

You can't simply look at stats and come to a conclusion. Merely looking at stats doesn't tell you that a lot of those were 3rd and longs after miserable run plays, end arounds with Cotchery, ineffective screens/dump offs/quick lateral passes/etc. It doesn't show you that the WRs failed to get separation. It doesn't show you that WRs were dropping balls. It doesn't show that half of them were rushed under duress due to shoddy blocking.

Ben didn't play well, but that doesn't change the fact that Haley called a shit game. Our best moments were in the no huddle when Haley was taken out of the equation.

OnPoint

He is only signed for this year right? I have no idea what fair return is but the Eagles have to do something. Neither one of their safeties would start for any other NFL team.
He Got franchise tagged this year. Thought we could next year too, but if he doesn't wanna be here trade him

Lmao.

You can't simply look at stats and come to a conclusion. Merely looking at stats doesn't tell you that a lot of those were 3rd and longs after miserable run plays, end arounds with Cotchery, ineffective screens/dump offs/quick lateral passes/etc. It doesn't show you that the WRs failed to get separation. It doesn't show you that WRs were dropping balls. It doesn't show that half of them were rushed under duress due to shoddy blocking.

Ben didn't play well, but that doesn't change the fact that Haley called a shit game. Our best moments were in the no huddle when Haley was taken out of the equation.

What I looked at was Ben floating passes over receivers heads, one of which leaded to the game clinching interception.

If there's anything I hate it's the massive effort by Steelers age to make excuses for Ben. Ben played like absolute garbage with the passes that he told Haley he wanted.

Lmao.

You'd better stop with that. Up until now you Steelers fans were doing a great job of protecting the "everything is a problem but the WR's" narrative.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Go get em Mech!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/chance-warmack-says-j-j-watt-is-just-another-guy/

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt had two sacks, two pass deflections and five total tackles in Sunday’s win over the Titans, but Tennessee rookie guard Chance Warmack wasn’t overly impressed.

Warmack said after the game that Watt is a fine player, but there’s nothing different about playing against Watt than anyone else.

“He’s just another guy, a talented dude. But he puts his helmet on just like me,’’ Warmack said of Watt, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I am not going to give him any more credit than he deserves – he’s a talented player. But everybody has a weakness, and he does, too.”

Watt may be just another guy, but he’s another guy who dominates on the defensive line like no one else in the NFL. Warmack may just be trying to say that he approaches every game the same way, but it was an odd thing to say after Watt whipped the Titans.

I had a long post about why Capers will probably play two deep safeties leaving them open to tight ends but it got eaten.
It was brilliant work.
I expect the same.

Single high will be an interesting option against most offenses once both Hayward and Burnett get back.

harSon

Banned
What I looked at was Ben floating passes over receivers heads, one of which leaded to the game clinching interception.

If there's anything I hate it's the massive effort by Steelers age to make excuses for Ben. Ben played like absolute garbage with the passes that he told Haley he wanted.

I'm not making excuses for him. I'm telling it like it is. He played horribly, but his team and coaching staff didn't help. You seem adamant on putting much of the blame on him, and that's just horse shit, especially when you let Haley off the hook with the two horse shit offensive game plans he's thrown together in the last two weeks.

Holmes seems to be improving. I expected some growing pains with him.

Baker has been getting his shit pushed in both games, so that's more concerning to me.

At least if Holmes lets someone loose, Ryan has a chance to see it coming.

It's cute that you keep pushing this. Think Wallace was catching those balls 5 feet over the receivers heads?

You really dont think having a legit deep threat would improve the offense at all? No Steeler WR scares teams or forces the safeties to back up. I get that Wallace got crazy money but he definitely added a dimension that they no longer have without him.

I'm not making excuses for him. I'm telling it like it is. He played horribly, but his team and coaching staff didn't help. You seem adamant on putting much of the blame on him, and that's just horse shit, especially when you let Haley off the hook with the two horse shit offensive game plans he's thrown together in the last two weeks.

So it's Haley's fault that Ben missed those passes by a mile?

Don't get me wrong, Haley shares blame in this too (specifically, they flat out abandoned the run after the half) but Haley isn't throwing to the receivers. Haley isn't the one not following his wide open blocks on 3rd and 1. The team's execution sucks and the number one offender is Roethlisberger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom