• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 4 IOTI - For a good time call Sweet Pea

Dragon

Banned
BTW, what the fuck was with the replay system going down? I thought that Julio Jones play was a catch but seriously NFL?

Godslay

Banned
Im just glad to be in this spot with the players we have. The defense is winning the games this year. Last year they probably lose this game.

Fair enough. The Pats weren't letting teams like they've faced hang with them last year though. With the exception being AZ.

There you go Gator, not even if we beat the Broncos, we can be considered good.

I don't know who you are, but don't put words in my mouth. Pats just like Broncos are getting fat off of bad teams right now. Pats are letting the teams hang with them though, which is unusual.

Dragon

Banned
The Falcons are 1-3.

The Bucs, who you beat last week, are 0-4. I shouldn't have to tell you how bad the Jets and Bills have been.

You mean the Jets and Bills, both of whom are 2-2? Playing in the division that if Miami wins tomorrow will have the best record in football?

So the Falcons lose to good teams? You're right, bad teams never do that.

Man it must suck to root for the WiiU and Steelers, two things that can't win a thing!

Caja 117

Fair enough. The Pats weren't letting teams like they've faced hang with them last year though. With the exception being AZ.

I don't know who you are, but don't put words in my mouth. Pats just like Broncos are getting fat off of bad teams right now. Pats are letting the teams hang with them though, which is unusual.

Im just quoting what you said you mention that not even the Broncos could be used as an example because their 4 and 0 is under suspect

You mean the Jets and Bills, both of whom are 2-2? Playing in the division that if Miami wins tomorrow will have the best record in football?

What are you arguing here? That two 500 teams with rookie quarterbacks are good?

Man it must suck to root for the WiiU and Steelers, two things that can't win a thing!

Steelers have won more recently than your team. Or are you gonna Duce22 me now?

Spinluck

You mean 1 and 2? This lost cant count to prove your point, they also lost against the Dolphins, Im guessing thats a bad team as well?

And Bills are 2 and 2.

I think what's being implied here is that the Falcons clearly aren't the team they were last year. Last year saying you beat the Falcons in the regular season would've meant something. This year it's like, yea ok, good for you.

Either way, I didn't expect Pats to win this one. They are an okish team this, but the fans should be thankful they got a pretty easy start early. All while they seemed to be struggling.

Patriots7

The Falcons are 1-3.

The Bucs, who you beat last week, are 0-4. I shouldn't have to tell you how bad the Jets and Bills have been.
The Bills who (until the end) soundly beat the Superbowl Champions?
The Bucs who made Drew Brees and the Saints offense look absolutely generic? (A few questionable calls away from winning that game)

The Falcons boast one of the best offenses in the league.
Records don't mean anything.

The Patriots defense, which has been the teams liability for the past ~5 years, has managed to look good so far. Even I, who had little faith in the team being able to contain Julio/Roddy am shocked.
In a few weeks, we get two starters back, who alone will improve the offense by simply being on the field (aka the Roddy White syndrome).

squicken

l

Maybe the Atlanta fans can chime in, but their OL/DL is what holds them back, issues at LB due to injury as well/ You can have all the weapons in the world, but when you get worked up front it's going to catch up with you.

When Kelly went out, why didn't they run? And when NE lines up two guys across from the lethal RZ threat, call time out. Put Gonzo in motion. Make them react. idk. guess you like your chances with White on Talib

SUPREME1

Banned
Falcons and Texans screwed me in my work's weekly pick'em.

Get it together, jeez.

Broncos continue to impress. They are balanced, deep, motivated, and focused.

Peyton and the receiving corps are obviously killing it... But that's not even what has me surprised, that was expected.

I'm talking about Cromartie balling on the defensive end. Special teams scoring on a kick return and blocking a punt, for the second week in a row (iirc). The replacement defensive linemen playing solid, as well as the offensive linemen.

This team is legit as fuck. Wish we had Clady, Champ, and Von... But the "next man up" mantra is working just fine.

TheFatOne

They had an elite offense last year. It's easy to get up on a shit team and then watch them crumble because they can't keep up even when you have a horrific defense. Plus if you remember the Pats weren't very good early in the year last year.Pats have had a really hard time the last few years winning games like this. When things don't go right for the offense the last few years they would fold. It's good to see them struggle, and be forced to make adjustments.

Dragon

Banned
What are you arguing here? That two 500 teams with rookie quarterbacks are good?

Basically, every team is still a fraud until one of them dethrones the incumbent Ravens. So who cares about arguing about schedule strength at this point in the season? No one knows jack shit.

Except for the Steelers. Their record is just right.

Steelers have won more recently than your team. Or are you gonna Duce22 me now?

The Steelers are 0-4.

Caja 117

I think what's being implied here is that the Falcons clearly aren't the team they were last year. Last year saying you beat the Falcons in the regular season would've meant something. This year it's like, yea ok, good for you.

Either way, I didn't expect Pats to win this one. They are an okish team this, but the fans should be thankful they got a pretty easy start early. All while they seemed to be struggling.

I agree, the falcons arent as good as other team, but they are not bad, and considering Pats offensive limitations, the benefit goes to the Pats.

They had an elite offense last year. It's easy to get up on a shit team and then watch them crumble because they can't keep up even when you have a horrific defense. Plus if you remember the Pats weren't very good early in the year last year.Pats have had a really hard time the last few years winning games like this. When things don't go right for the offense the last few years they would fold. It's good to see them struggle, and be forced to make adjustments.

Its nice to see the defense win games for once.

though it probably isnt that close if Sudfeld gets the onside kick

Godslay

Banned
Im just quoting what you said you mention that not even the Broncos could be used as an example because their 4 and 0 is under suspect

Yeah, that's you reading what you want to out of it. I mentioned that, because I knew the Gata would say who have the Broncos beat? Which I would have replied, no one really. Preempted his answer to focus back on the question.

If the Patriots beat the Broncos, good for them. The Broncos are not without flaws and can be beat. It wasn't meant as a measuring stick. But yeah if they beat the Broncos they'll earn more respect from me. Same for the Broncos, they need to face some good competition for me to feel that they are actually for real.

Dragon

Banned
When Kelly went out, why didn't they run? And when NE lines up two guys across from the lethal RZ threat, call time out. Put Gonzo in motion. Make them react. idk. guess you like your chances with White on Talib

I think it was second down where the Patriots didn't line anyone up on the left side of the defensive line. The Falcons had two timeouts there, why wouldn't you run the ball and make it manageable third and fourth down? And why throw to White who obviously can't jump? Julio obviously wasn't a decoy there.

I still don't think Julio caught that ball. What kind of replay system goes down.

The kind that makes an official walk over to the sidelines instead of having another ref in the booth watching it so the game doesn't slow down. Meaning the NFL wants another commercial break out of it instead of speeding the damn game up. The fourth quarter took an hour tonight. Unreal.

The Bills who (until the end) soundly beat the Superbowl Champions?
Who are bad, next.
The Bucs who made Drew Brees and the Saints offense look absolutely generic? (A few questionable calls away from winning that game)
Bucs always play the Saints hard. When was the last time they made the playoffs?

The Falcons boast one of the best offenses in the league.
Records don't mean anything.
That's true. Look at the Pats.

The Patriots defense, which has been the teams liability for the past ~5 years, has managed to look good so far. Even I, who had little faith in the team being able to contain Julio/Roddy am shocked.
In a few weeks, we get two starters back, who alone will improve the offense by simply being on the field (aka the Roddy White syndrome).
Roddy White is hobbled, but you do have a point there, the defense is improving. Pats played the numbers game. Put Talib on White and bracketed Gonzalez and figured Ryan would never get to Julio and they were right. Why didn't the Falcons run? Pats had two of their run stuffers gone?

Because they can't. Their talent at RB sucks and they know it. Matt Ryan got into a throwing match, which, SURPRISE, he choked away.

Patriots are a well coached team with well coached players, who have so far had the luxury of beating poor teams. Sorry, it's true.

TheFatOne

Its nice to see the defense win games for once.

though it probably isnt that close if Sudfeld gets the onside kick

Yea it's pretty awesome. This year I'm having a lot of fun watching the games. The defense still isn't great, but they can actually make some plays now. The only thing that sucks is that if Talib keeps this up there is no way the Pats will pay him. Would love to be proven wrong on that though.

Caja 117

Yeah, that's you reading what you want to out of it. I mentioned that, because I knew the Gata would say who have the Broncos beat? Which I would have replied, no one really. Preempted his answer to focus back on the question.

If the Patriots beat the Broncos, good for them. The Broncos are not without flaws and can be beat. It wasn't meant as a measuring stick. But yeah if they beat the Broncos they'll earn more respect from me. Same for the Broncos, they need to face some good competition for me to feel that they are actually for real.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the inconvinience.

LJ11

I'm with you, some coaches never adjust or are to slow to do so. Drives me nuts to see competent coaches get as much as they possibly can with a shorthanded roster, and yet week after week you see Coaches with talented rosters do fuck all.

It took Marrone 3 games to realize he couldn't run from the shotgun, woke up today. Being extra hard on him because he talks a big game while his team racks up penalties all day long.

Caja 117

Dragon

Banned
I'm with you, some coaches never adjust or are to slow to do so. Drives me nuts to see competent coaches get as much as they possibly can with a shorthanded roster, and yet week after week you see Coaches with talented rosters do fuck all.

It took Marrone 3 games to realize he couldn't run from the shotgun, woke up today. Being extra hard on him because he talks a big game while his team racks up penalties all day long.

How about the Ravens running the ball twice in the second half today? I was utterly baffled to see Flacco throw the ball 50 times. Aren't the Bills the worst run defense in the league?

Trey

Weird how cata and P7 are bigging up the Bills in an attempt to make the Pats win over them seem more substantial. Yall know better than that - what should frighten you is how close system Brady and company came to losing against a rookie QB, a rookie HC, and a college level secondary.

Drakeon

How about the Ravens running the ball twice in the second half today? I was utterly baffled to see Flacco throw the ball 50 times. Aren't the Bills the worst run defense in the league?

Maybe Caldwell isn't the offensive mastermind he pretended to be in the Playoffs last year.

Basically, every team is still a fraud until one of them dethrones the incumbent Ravens. So who cares about arguing about schedule strength at this point in the season? No one knows jack shit.
Except for the Steelers. Their record is just right.

So you're arguing vehemently about something you don't give a shit about. Sounds like Dragon alright!

The Steelers are 0-4.

That they are. I have the avatar to prove it. When did the Patriots last win a Super Bowl again?

The answer is never because they're filthy cheaters

Dragon

Banned
Tom Brady is the avatar of all that is good in this world.

Shush!

I'm glad other people notice this

If I had hair transplant surgery I'd flaunt it by cutting my hair too!

Maybe Caldwell isn't the offensive mastermind he pretended to be in the Playoffs last year.

Caldwell always looks overmatched, Tom Coughlin disease. The whole Flacco bomb it to Torrey Smith and hope for pass interference thing isn't going to work all the time.

h1nch

Falcons and Texans screwed me in my work's weekly pick'em.

Get it together, jeez.

Broncos continue to impress. They are balanced, deep, motivated, and focused.

Peyton and the receiving corps are obviously killing it... But that's not even what has me surprised, that was expected.

I'm talking about Cromartie balling on the defensive end. Special teams scoring on a kick return and blocking a punt, for the second week in a row (iirc). The replacement defensive linemen playing solid, as well as the offensive linemen.

This team is legit as fuck. Wish we had Clady, Champ, and Von... But the "next man up" mantra is working just fine.

No joke. I loved this signing mainly because we gave him a 1 year prove it deal, but so far he's been killing it. Not sure how much of it is due to him and how much is due to the coaching staff, but he's been lights out. Champ can take his sweet time coming back because DRC/Harris/Carter/Kayvon and the rest of the secondary are playing at such a high level.

I can't wait to see how they play once Von Miller comes back, assuming he doesn't get arrested for something stupid again.

LJ11

Indeed, but they were shedding blocks for a change and stuffing it. Ravens tried to establish the run but couldn't, and with the Bills being as bad as they are in the secondary they tried to work it through the air, I would have done the same thing to be honest.

Didn't get the ball to Rice in space though, not much of a screen game either.

Weird how cata and P7 are bigging up the Bills in an attempt to make the Pats win over them seem more substantial. Yall know better than that - what should frighten you is how close system Brady and company came to losing against a rookie QB, a rookie HC, and a college level secondary.

Truth!

Rats paid Flacco 120 million - they're putting the ball in his hands.

Only problem is that the fuck it and chuck it offense doesn't work anywhere near as well without Boldin bullying cornerbacks with no flags.

edit - same with Roddy White. He's just not the same guy when he can't just shove a dude to the ground.

Godslay

Banned
No joke. I loved this signing mainly because we gave him a 1 year prove it deal, but so far he's been killing it. Not sure how much of it is due to him and how much is due to the coaching staff, but he's been lights out. Champ can take his sweet time coming back because DRC/Harris/Carter/Kayvon and the rest of the secondary are playing at such a high level.

I can't wait to see how they play once Von Miller comes back, assuming he doesn't get arrested for something stupid again.

Stolen shamelessly from another forum...

iFug1dTaboHRE.gif

iYm5fY69VHFJ9.jpg

Top Bottom