• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
It's really hard to see if you don't have a proper replay as with the Pats penalty, although at first it looked just like how you described the Jets call. A stunt behind the other guy and pushing off when running behind him. Oh well, rules are rules, if you don't want it called against you, avoid everything that could even come close to get it called against you. Coaches should have done a better job preparing the team.

Nah on the Patriots play he clearly tries to run a train through the line. That's why I don't think it's something that happens all the time. You have to coach and call it. A guy isn't just going to use another guy as a snowplow on a whim, especially not on a Belichick coached team. This was a called play and they got caught.

Available FA QB's

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Tyler Thigpen
Byron Leftwich
John Skelton
David Carr
Trent Edwards
Charlie Batch
John Beck
Caleb Hanie
Mike Kafka
Tim Tebow
JaMarcus Russell
Stephen McGee
Graham Harrell
Jimmy Clausen

Revolver

RIP Bud. Sad. The man never got to see his team win a Super Bowl and that garbage yesterday was the last game he ever saw. I'm conflicted since I hate when owners move a team and screw over a city but at the same time I'm glad Nashville got the Titans.

Miguel

tex-kc-bc-34.jpg

Warming up, back on the field, took my time, took my chances...
tex-kc-bc-33.jpg

Watch your back, Matt.
tex-kc-bc-12.jpg

What goes up...
tex-kc-bc-13.jpg

...must come down.

LJ11

Body language of teammates was awful. No way they could let him keep playing. Fair or not, he was the embodiment of all the past failures and it is time he goes

New regime and all, but they made a mistake dumping Thad Lewis. Small number of games, but he's been alright so far, willing to take a hit to make a play too. Kid has gusto.

Marrone has dem Bills playing super TUFF.

Overthecap has a great article on the Cowboys cap situation without the "OMG! 31 Million OVER! hyperbole from the Schefter tweet:

http://overthecap.com/dallas-cowboys-navigating-the-salary-cap/

Sites like mine and various media reports can sometimes blow a teams’ cap situation out of proportion. From my time working exclusively covering the Jets salary cap I saw this occur twice, once in 2009 and again in 2013. While the 2013 situation was not great it was never as overblown as portrayed by a salary cap sheet. In 2009 the salary cap situation was actually fine. What occurs is that teams often have contracts that are designed to be restructured or terminated to aid a teams’ salary cap. That does not show up in a static chart.

The one contract Dallas has that is designed that way is Tony Romo’s. Romo has a salary cap figure of nearly $21.8 million in 2014, but the contract contains two “empty” proration years in 2018 and 2019 that were there to absorb restructured dollars. This is no different than Joe Flacco’s contract with the Ravens containing two option bonuses for cap purposes, except for the Ravens their salary cap will look fine on paper because they chose to use options in the initial deal. Dallas never does that and instead makes their situation look worse than it is.

It is basically a given that Dallas will reduce Romo’s base salary in 2014 from $13.5 million to $955,000 and convert the remainder to a bonus. That will free up $10,036,000 in salary cap commitments and reduce his cap figure to $11,737,000. That’s the intended value for Romo’s contract and will shave $10 million off Dallas’ $30 million overage. The team will also carry over around $2 million in cap space so we are looking at a team that is $18 million over prior to free agency.

The Cowboys have one major problem moving forward and that is the lack of cap relief the team can find by releasing players. While Romo fits the intended restructure category, the team has nobody in the intended release category. My estimates only have 8 players that would save Dallas more than $995,000 in cap room via release. These include starters Dez Bryant, Barry Church, and DeMarcus Ware. The following would be the releases:

More at the article for those (accountants) interested.

Caja 117

Nah on the Patriots play he clearly tries to run a train through the line. That's why I don't think it's something that happens all the time. You have to coach and call it. A guy isn't just going to use another guy as a snowplow on a whim, especially not on a Belichick coached team. This was a called play and they got caught.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the fact they comitted a penalty when it happened, Patriots got a lot of Penalty calls in this game.

EZNARK, what team are you fan off? (Just want to know Cause Im new around here)

Jets wont win another game.

You think the Jets are worse then every other team the Pats will face the rest of the year? Man you are down on the Pats now.

While I don't speak for every Eagles fan, I hate Vick because I don't trust him. I'm still salty about that Packers game in 2010. We should have won that game and maybe there wouldn't be so many stupid fucking State Farm commercials

Also, that Nick Foles rank is WAY too high. He gets an F- minimum

As poor as Vick was in the 2010 playoffs, if Akers kid doesnt get sick the Eagles win that game 100% It was just unlucky that he was distracted that week. I agree that Foles gets an F- at best. I really think that was the worst game I have ever seen an Eagles QB play, and I have seen Bubby Brister play QB.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I was really surprised at the fact they comitted a penalty when it happened, Patriots got a lot of Penalty calls in this game.

EZNARK, what team are you fan off? (Just want to know Cause Im new around here)

I hate all the teams, I just hate the Packers the most.

The biggest thing about that penalty to me was how 1000% sure the official who called it was. He had that flag out before the ball even got to the holder. That made me laugh since those idiots are consistently wishy washy and late with flags.

Funny how the pats are complaining considering they got to a Superbowl on the ruling of a stupid rule, bad calls happen, get over it.

Who's complaining here?

Would have to check to see the Pats play again, was too busy screaming at my iPad last night to watch the replay of it. If It was drawn-up like that it's even worse. Players are dumb idiots, but coaches should know all the rules especially at a crucial time like that. But like Penny said, if you want to win a game you shouldn't let it get down to this. Bad game from the whole team, players and coaches.

BigAT

Even more injury news:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Source texts that Bears LB Lance Briggs will be out 4-6 weeks with shoulder injury. No surgery necessary. Will be back this season.

Caja 117

I hate all the teams, I just hate the Packers the most.

The biggest thing about that penalty to me was how 1000% sure the official who called it was. He had that flag out before the ball even got to the holder. That made me laugh since those idiots are consistently wishy washy and late with flags.

Yeah I saw the flag flying when the ball was snaped, and I just did a giant facepalm that almost gave me a concussion.

eznark

Banned
Would have to check to see the Pats play again, was too busy screaming at my iPad last night to watch the replay of it. If It was drawn-up like that it's even worse. Players are dumb idiots, but coaches should know all the rules especially at a crucial time like that. But like Penny said, if you want to win a game you shouldn't let it get down to this. Bad game from the whole team, players and coaches.

Belichick didn't know the rule. That is clear from his arguments with the officials on the field. He thought it was applicable to second level players only. Just a bonehead play design.

Even more injury news:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Source texts that Bears LB Lance Briggs will be out 4-6 weeks with shoulder injury. No surgery necessary. Will be back this season.

Bigger than losing Cutler. Jesus.

Hellion

tom-brady-crying_display_image.jpg

“Nobody feels worse about the loss than me,” Brady said Monday on WEEI radio, after New England was upset 30-27 on Sunday to the aforementioned AFC East rivals. “Losing sucks, and especially to the Jets. I’m going to go out there and try to have my best week this week.”

This immobile QB is done.

Fox318

“Nobody feels worse about the loss than me,” Brady said Monday on WEEI radio, after New England was upset 30-27 on Sunday to the aforementioned AFC East rivals. “Losing sucks, and especially to the Jets. I’m going to go out there and try to have my best week this week.”

Z1pblBq.jpg

squicken

New regime and all, but they made a mistake dumping Thad Lewis. Small number of games, but he's been alright so far, willing to take a hit to make a play too. Kid has gusto.

Marrone has dem Bills playing super TUFF.

Lewis was Shurmur's pet project. Banner probably had fun getting rid of the guy. They seem to want every vestige of that era gone

gutshot

*WARNING LONG ASS EAGLES RANT INCOMING*

Agree with most of what you wrote here. I was guilty of buying into the Foles hype a little bit. Not to the degree of those who thought he was going to magically make the WRs better or become the next Joe Montana. I just felt like he ran the offense more efficiently than Vick. We already know what Vick brings to the table, he is not going to improve, whereas Foles already looked like he could play a little bit so why not make him the starter going forward? I knew he wasn't going to play as well as he did against Tampa all the time, but I didn't expect him to completely shit the bed like he did yesterday. He had a bad game, no doubt about it. I still think he could be a decent QB in this league though. But is decent enough to win you a Super Bowl?

The fact is the Eagles don't have their QB of the future on the roster right now. The first 7 games of this season have made that painfully clear. They need to target someone in the draft this April. And to get a franchise guy, you are probably are going to need to be in the top 5. Or close enough that moving up doesn't cost you half your draft.

As to the rest of this season, it's hard to root against the team each week. So I will hope that Vick is fully recovered and he can play within the system and give us a chance each week. And if he's not healthy, I'll hope that Foles can rediscover his form and prove to be a capable backup in this league. And hopefully between the two of them, the Eagles will play well enough to challenge for the division. But the silver lining to every loss is this... we are one step closer to securing our franchise QB and finally becoming a legit Super Bowl contender again.

Caja 117

I hope he improves, Yesterday was imposible to defend his poor showing.

vikki

He ran for a first down last week.

Too early to completely write him off. Nobody can say he's not having a terrible year, because he obviously is, and his deep ball has been bad for a couple of seasons, but I give him some time. He sure as hell deserved that with his play the last couple of years, and with all the changes around him, it was to be expected that there would be some drop-off. Give him this season and the start of the next one after a full off season with the skill players and less radical changes to the offense (Nobody expected to lose a guy like Hernandez to fucking murder charges, whilst he was going to be the main focus of this offense). If he's still on this level next season, then there is a real problem.

Belichick didn't know the rule. That is clear from his arguments with the officials on the field. He thought it was applicable to second level players only. Just a bonehead play design.

Bill mentioned the second level thing in the press conference as well. Apparently his confusion came from the NLF instruction video on the rule, where they only showed LBs pushing the DL into the offensive formation. Bad job coaching there then.

NFL.com has the Bud Adams story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ses-away-at-90?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

Professional football lost another one of its most influential architects on Monday. Tennessee Titans owner K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr. has passed away at the age of 90, according to sources out of Houston. Adams was the longest tenured owner in the league.

Fifty-four years ago, Bud Adams and Lamar Hunt held a joint press conference to announce the formation of the new American Football League. Adams, the co-founder of the AFL, pursued his passion for football every day until his passing on Monday. Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson is now the last remaining owner/founder of that group, having been with the Bills since their inception in 1960.

No current NFL owner presided over more wins with his organization. Most of those wins came in Houston where Adams' Houston Oilers won the first two AFL titles in 1960 and 1961 before losing the '62 title to Hunt's Dallas Texans team.

A World War II veteran, Adams' Oilers were the first football team to play indoors at the Houston Astrodome. The Oilers played there until 1997, when Adams moved the organization to Tennessee among great controversy.

Adams and his wife Nancy were married for 62 years before her passing in February of 2009. He is survived by two daughters, Susie Smith and Amy Strunk. A son, Kenneth S. Adams III, is deceased. Adams has seven grandchildren.

We send out condolences to the Adams family and the Titans organization at this time.

BigAT

So odd that Bud Adams passes away just two days after one of his coaches does. I like to think that he's up above us right now flipping us all off.

If there's one team who shouldn't worry about WR injuries it's the Packers. Don't know how TT does it.
I'd say most of the credit goes to his talent evaluators/scouting team.

- Lacy was a 2nd round steal despite most people (me included) whining for a Safety.
- Bakhtiari has to be graded in the Top 3 rookie tackles this year and he was drafted in the 4th round.
- Hyde is a 5th rounder but already in mix and making plays.

For the most part, the guy churns out pretty phenomenal draft classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom